Thread: Big Calves

healthy81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Big Calves

Hey there.. this is my first question on this message board I'm a newbie here on bodybuilding.com and I love this site!!

I have one question.. I'm trying to workout with weights and cardio and skipped out working my calves. However they get bigger and bigger! I don't like it at all.. How can I avoid working on those calves and yet get a good cardio and leg exercise??

Sweat Blood, Bleed Iron! TheStreetKing's Avatar
    TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000)
    You can't avoid using/working your calves when your doing legs or cardio. Calves are what balances your body when your standing up!
    My Gym is my Church, My Sweat is my Prayers, My Strength is my Salvation, I Am Animal.

Loyalty above all else, Except Honor!

Here is a picture of them... not very feminine :(

Someone said it was not a good picture to tell from earlier.. so here is a better one... TOO BIG??
    Attached Images
    Last edited by healthy81; 08-01-2011 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Better picture

Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i wish i had you genes! bigger calves without trying! ... but to be honest, i dont think theres alot you can do about it. what are you doing for cardio? lots of peoples calves respond well to running, cycling or anything that involves repetition while your up on your toes. so if your doing cardio which requires you do be springy on your toes, then they might keep growing, or get to a point where theyl stop growing. other than what ive mentioned, your best bet may be to switch it up and do swimming or something which requires less 'up on your toes' movements.

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Some people just happen to have large calves. There's nothing you can do but try to lose more fat so they don't look that big. Here's another idea - work your thighs harder.

Ok thank you for your answer.. I'll try swimming tomorrow

geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I don't think your calves look too big personally. Maybe the ratio of calf size to ankle size makes them look big, but it's hard to tell from that angle. Lucifer's suggestion of lower body fat might work. From the looks of it i think they'd look better with more taper, which would mean a bit bigger on the top since most of the lower part of the lower leg is dominated by the bones and tendons which tends to be a genetic issue. Regardless, I doubt I'd have any complaints about seeing a girl with your calves.

rutzilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rutzilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rutzilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rutzilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rutzilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rutzilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rutzilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rutzilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rutzilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rutzilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rutzilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Calves are considered one of the appealing curves of the body, better to have them than not. My GF's calves are just like yours andf I think they look hot.

Cool

Originally Posted by geoffstgermaine View Post
    I don't think your calves look too big personally. Maybe the ratio of calf size to ankle size makes them look big, but it's hard to tell from that angle. Lucifer's suggestion of lower body fat might work. From the looks of it i think they'd look better with more taper, which would mean a bit bigger on the top since most of the lower part of the lower leg is dominated by the bones and tendons which tends to be a genetic issue. Regardless, I doubt I'd have any complaints about seeing a girl with your calves.
    Yes, I think you're right.. I'm working on lowering my body fat by doing some cardio and exercise with a healthy diet. I thought personally that big calves on women was disgusting?! But ok, I'll change my attitude towards my calves. Thank you all for your answers!!