LuckyXIII is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LuckyXIII is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LuckyXIII is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LuckyXIII is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LuckyXIII is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LuckyXIII is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LuckyXIII is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LuckyXIII is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LuckyXIII is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LuckyXIII is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LuckyXIII is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Red face Working out at home - Help please

I had turned a spare bedroom into my workout space as I don't have access to a gym. The equipment I have is:

- Adjustable dumbells 2.5 - 20lbs
    - Incline/Decline Bench
    - Punching Bag w/stand
    - Exercise Ball
    - Elliptical
    - Treadmill
    - Elastic Band
    - Step

The problem I'm having is that I can't seem to workout my legs properly. I'm doing squats onto a bench and I do this: http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Power/DBHighSwing.html. I do step ups onto a milk crate with 5lbs as well. What other exercises can I do for legs with the equipment I have? Or should I get rid of the boxing stand and go for a better bench with a barbell rack? I don't have much room and the boxing stand takes up a lot of space, plus I don't use it as much. I would rather lift properly than box lol.

Thank you in advance for any help.
    Last edited by LuckyXIII; 08-02-2011 at 09:12 AM.

darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darkangel has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'm having trouble seeing the link you posted, but you can still work out your legs quite well with the equipment you have. Using your dumbbells, you can do regular squats, plie squats, lunges, static lunges, single-legged squats, deadlifts, side lunges, inner and outer thigh lifts, calf raises and more.

BananaOats will become famous soon enough. (+50) BananaOats will become famous soon enough. (+50) BananaOats will become famous soon enough. (+50) BananaOats will become famous soon enough. (+50) BananaOats will become famous soon enough. (+50) BananaOats will become famous soon enough. (+50) BananaOats will become famous soon enough. (+50) BananaOats will become famous soon enough. (+50) BananaOats will become famous soon enough. (+50) BananaOats will become famous soon enough. (+50) BananaOats will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by darkangel View Post
    I'm having trouble seeing the link you posted, but you can still work out your legs quite well with the equipment you have. Using your dumbbells, you can do regular squats, plie squats, lunges, static lunges, single-legged squats, deadlifts, side lunges, inner and outer thigh lifts, calf raises and more.
    See, there are lots of options!
    if you want more you can always just search the web.

You have so much equipment, I'm jealous! I'm also working out at home right now, for the summer. I do circuit style workouts and it keeps things interesting
    *Michelle
    - Keep calm and get strong!

latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    do you feel steady doing step-ups on a milk crate? I am not trying to be insulting, please dont think that. I am 195 lbs and too nervous to try. I am using the bottom step so that I can use heavier weights and not worry about toppling over. Can you buy more weights for the dumbells?

Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000)
    ^Great list! Bulgarian split squats are great too.

OP have you checked out http://www.bodyrock.tv/ ? Zuzanna posts some great workouts that work your full body and you're always competing against yourself. She has videos to show how to do the exercises properly also.

LuckyXIII is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LuckyXIII is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LuckyXIII is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LuckyXIII is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LuckyXIII is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LuckyXIII is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LuckyXIII is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LuckyXIII is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LuckyXIII is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LuckyXIII is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LuckyXIII is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Wow, I didn't realize I could do all that! I didn't think I could do deadlifts with dumbbells.. Thanks!

Originally Posted by BananaOats View Post
    See, there are lots of options!
    if you want more you can always just search the web.

You have so much equipment, I'm jealous! I'm also working out at home right now, for the summer. I do circuit style workouts and it keeps things interesting
    I tried searching, but I didn't really know what I was looking for. Darkangel putting a name to them made it searchable. I'm also trying to do more circuit style workouts. Do you have a site where you got circuit exercises from or did you just put it together yourself?

Originally Posted by latebloomingmom View Post
    do you feel steady doing step-ups on a milk crate? I am not trying to be insulting, please dont think that. I am 195 lbs and too nervous to try. I am using the bottom step so that I can use heavier weights and not worry about toppling over. Can you buy more weights for the dumbells?
    I used to do step ups onto the bench at the gym a long time ago when I first went. The problem with stepping onto the bench I have now is that it isn't perfectly flat for some reason, so I started using a milk crate. I feel pretty secure using the milk crate, but I'm not using too high of weight yet. I have adjustable dumbbells, so no, they only go up to 20lbs. They do sell ones that go up higher that I may invest in once I can pull 20lbs without a problem lol.

Originally Posted by Ashlei View Post
    ^Great list! Bulgarian split squats are great too.

OP have you checked out http://www.bodyrock.tv/ ? Zuzanna posts some great workouts that work your full body and you're always competing against yourself. She has videos to show how to do the exercises properly also.
    No, I've never seen thatt. I will definitely check it out.

I really appreciate everyone's help. I'm always wondering if I'm doing enough because I'm using free weights and no machines, even though I hear that free weights are better.

Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Free weights are great because you have to do the work more so than machines which balance the weights for you. Always push yourself, going for 1 more rep and upping weights when you get to the higher rep end (10-12 IMO). Just lift/train, hit your cals and macros, and rest.