imbeingcereal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) imbeingcereal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) imbeingcereal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) imbeingcereal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) imbeingcereal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) imbeingcereal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) imbeingcereal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) imbeingcereal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) imbeingcereal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) imbeingcereal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) imbeingcereal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Are Bent Over Rows A "Good" Bicep Builder

So obviously, we know that bent over rows won't be as good for building biceps as direct arm curls are, but has anyone still noticed pretty good gains from doing bent over rows alone and not really doing much direct bicep work? I never really worked my arms directly because I trusted that doing compound lifts would show gains everywhere, but I I've noticed that my back (upper back at least) is fairly big, but I have really puny arms, which ends up looking funny. I'm wondering if it's because the bent over rows aren't really that great for biceps or if it's just genetics.

nics1246 has the mod powerz nics1246 has the mod powerz nics1246 has the mod powerz nics1246 has the mod powerz nics1246 has the mod powerz nics1246 has the mod powerz nics1246 has the mod powerz nics1246 has the mod powerz nics1246 has the mod powerz nics1246 has the mod powerz nics1246 has the mod powerz
    Bent over rows is an overall excellent compound movement. And yes it can definitely help your arms grow. In fact, I know some people who hardly train or don't directly train biceps and still have decent size guns due to concentrating on mostly compound movements (edit:not that I recommend that).
    Last edited by nics1246; 07-31-2011 at 06:31 AM.

themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    from my experience I did very well from just compound exercises. having said that, I don't believe that isolation exercises should be neglected in any way and if you aren't seeing the results you want then even more reason to include a curl variation (and something for the triceps)
    "The journey to a place worth getting to is never easy but pain is only temporary, victory is forever" - Jeremy H.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary" - Vince Lombardi

HeavyMetalLover is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HeavyMetalLover is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HeavyMetalLover is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HeavyMetalLover is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HeavyMetalLover is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HeavyMetalLover is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HeavyMetalLover is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HeavyMetalLover is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HeavyMetalLover is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HeavyMetalLover is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HeavyMetalLover is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I'm not sure about myself, because I did isolations from the start. You should experiment with it. If it doesn't give you the results that you want, add some isolations.

Also, try underhand grips. Seems like it gives the bicep more tension than overhand grip.
    [Watdo?] - Want (''should'' for you naggers) bulk.

Serving true tea for weight-losers
    Literally die during squat
    Home gym-er
    Inadequate/improper lifting equipment
    Pop music sucker \m/

ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I've always admired people who couldn't take 20 or even 30 precious minutes of their lives a week,
    in order to do some curls. I understand them though, curls are sooo physically and mentally taxing, great danger in them.
    Can't even compare that danger with results they may bring. Never do Biceps exercises for Biceps growth, one of the best sentences/mantras/rules ever.
    + we are all the same.

Good job.
    bb.com, a place that turned Deadlift into a forearm isolation exercise

and a place where 99% of 21 year olds have bad back and knees.

nics1246 has the mod powerz nics1246 has the mod powerz nics1246 has the mod powerz nics1246 has the mod powerz nics1246 has the mod powerz nics1246 has the mod powerz nics1246 has the mod powerz nics1246 has the mod powerz nics1246 has the mod powerz nics1246 has the mod powerz nics1246 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by themilkybarkid View Post
    I don't believe that isolation exercises should be neglected in any way and if you aren't seeing the results you want then even more reason to include a curl variation (and something for the triceps)
    Agreed.

biogeek4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) biogeek4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) biogeek4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) biogeek4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) biogeek4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) biogeek4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) biogeek4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) biogeek4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) biogeek4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) biogeek4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) biogeek4 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Any pull exercise will work your biceps. Your biceps will most likely be the first to fail in a "back" or pull exercise. So they are getting all the stimulus they need. I honestly don't think you need much other than pull ups, chin ups, commando pull ups, and rows to develop decent biceps to a point. I would say 16" - 17" arms, depending on your height.

VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz
    Want good biceps? Do direct bicep work. It's not rocket science.

Good bodybuilding routines are built around compounds, but not comprised of compounds only.
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by imbeingcereal View Post
    So obviously, we know that bent over rows won't be as good for building biceps as direct arm curls are, but has anyone still noticed pretty good gains from doing bent over rows alone and not really doing much direct bicep work? I never really worked my arms directly because I trusted that doing compound lifts would show gains everywhere, but I I've noticed that my back (upper back at least) is fairly big, but I have really puny arms, which ends up looking funny. I'm wondering if it's because the bent over rows aren't really that great for biceps or if it's just genetics.
    Form will play a role. Some people row more with their arms and don't really focus on 'pulling from the elbows' and engaging the back muscles.

Compound lifts like presses, rows and chins will add size to the arms -- and they did for me -- but if you want to specifically target the arms then the obvious choice is arm exercises.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    .. has anyone still noticed pretty good gains from doing bent over rows alone and not really doing much direct bicep work?
    No.

In 18 years of bodybuilding, I've never known anyone who possessed a good pair of arms that got them by only going indirect work.

If you expect to build good arms, train them directly.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

imbeingcereal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) imbeingcereal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) imbeingcereal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) imbeingcereal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) imbeingcereal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) imbeingcereal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) imbeingcereal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) imbeingcereal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) imbeingcereal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) imbeingcereal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) imbeingcereal has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by VoxExMachina View Post
    Want good biceps? Do direct bicep work. It's not rocket science.

Good bodybuilding routines are built around compounds, but not comprised of compounds only.
    OK, let me ask you this: how often would I need to hit the biceps directly if you are otherwise lifting heavy? I.e. if you do rows often, is hitting the biceps 1x a week at higher volume good enough or would more be needed?

medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    OK, let me ask you this: how often would I need to hit the biceps directly if you are otherwise lifting heavy? I.e. if you do rows often, is hitting the biceps 1x a week at higher volume good enough or would more be needed?
    Try 1x per week. If that's not giving you the results you want, try 2x per week. Simple.

VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by medjen View Post
    Try 1x per week. If that's not giving you the results you want, try 2x per week. Simple.
    ^ This. Everyone responds differently, and considers different levels of growth to be adequate. If you're not seeing enough results, start by increasing volume.
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

briley87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) briley87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) briley87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) briley87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) briley87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) briley87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) briley87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) briley87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) briley87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) briley87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) briley87 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you're doing bent rows correctly your whole goal is to isolate to the back as much as possible, so no, they won't work your biceps that much. Curls will work your biceps but if your arms are small all around triceps account for more "resting mass" anyway.*

Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    No.
    Audentis Fortuna Iuvat

phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000) phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000) phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000) phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000) phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000) phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000) phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000) phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000) phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000) phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000) phozosado is a name known to all. (+5000)

I'm not going to argue with that. *

Though I'd add that dropping the Bent over rows would be foolish. *Just throw a few sets of isolation movements to your weekly.
    ---
    This Machine Kills Fascists.
    ---
    BULKING LOG : http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=137967093&pagenumber=
    ---
    BTK - Bleed Time Krew
    ---
    "He runs, an activity that we defeated eons ago when humans discovered we are slower than every other animal on earth and can ride horses" - joelash302

met-enkephalinaholic Pridehurtsform's Avatar
    Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pridehurtsform will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    op i have a really hard time w/ biceps also. i didn't focus on arms during the first 5 years of liftin or so and now am finding it hard to catch them up w/ the rest of my body. like the other posters said, your best bet is isolation w/ looooooooooow weight. or even better to do them after your back workout. i find my back and shoulders help me w/ biceps even when i keep strict form unless i use light weight and focus on the bicep doing the movement.*
    BS in molecular biochemistry
    NASM certified personal trainer
    bench: 315
    squat: 365
    deads: 415
    video thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=162544341&p=1258712431#post1258712431

"it's better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    I don't have giant biceps at all, but I still tend to feel rowing and pull ups more in that elbow flexor area than I do in my back, sadly I wish I had your problem, I want to target the upper back and have it do most of the work. I'm starting to think that using fly isolation movements would be the only way to win at this I wonder if doing the rows with dumbbells instead of a barbell might help.

Originally Posted by biogeek4 View Post
    Any pull exercise will work your bicep
    Depends on how strictly we define the word pull. Definitely no biceps involved with this bro: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...mPulldown.html