Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

500 Internal Server Error SomeRandomName's Avatar
    Stats: 5'11", 172 lbs
    SomeRandomName has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SomeRandomName has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SomeRandomName has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SomeRandomName has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SomeRandomName has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SomeRandomName has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SomeRandomName has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SomeRandomName has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SomeRandomName has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SomeRandomName has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SomeRandomName has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit SomeRandomName's BodySpace

Can't squat deep enough... hamstring flexibility? (help) (possible 3k+ reps) (srs)

So I can't squat for ****. The weight I move is absurdly small, I have trouble getting to parallel without rounding my back, and if I do manage to go deep enough, I almost fall on my ass because while my quads are decent, my glutes are a ****ing joke since I usually can't go deep enough. I don't feel it in my glutes at all. My hamstrings also have horrible flexibility and I think this is part of the reason I can't go deep.

So basically, I'm wondering what the best way to fix this is. Is adding in something like GHRs or another exercise that targets glutes/hams (any ideas?) a viable option? Continue squatting, but add an exercise or two to try and fix my glutes and hamstrings until I can finally squat properly and decent weight? Or is the only way to fix this to just keep trying to squat?

reps for good answers, thanks

Stats: 6'1", 183 lbs
    KGV has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) KGV has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) KGV has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) KGV has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) KGV has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) KGV has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) KGV has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) KGV has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) KGV has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) KGV has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) KGV has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit KGV's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by SomeRandomName View Post
    So I can't squat for ****. The weight I move is absurdly small, I have trouble getting to parallel without rounding my back, and if I do manage to go deep enough, I almost fall on my ass because while my quads are decent, my glutes are a ****ing joke since I usually can't go deep enough. I don't feel it in my glutes at all. My hamstrings also have horrible flexibility and I think this is part of the reason I can't go deep.

So basically, I'm wondering what the best way to fix this is. Is adding in something like GHRs or another exercise that targets glutes/hams (any ideas?) a viable option? Continue squatting, but add an exercise or two to try and fix my glutes and hamstrings until I can finally squat properly and decent weight? Or is the only way to fix this to just keep trying to squat?

reps for good answers, thanks
    1. The MOST important thing is STRETCHING
    And DO NOT think 5 minutes of stretching is enough, ATLEAST 12 minutes, recommended atleast 15 minutes before AND after training, it may seem a boring thing but your body will thank you, besides its other good sideeffects like improving blood circulation and all the protein carbs circulation to your muscles aswell to recover more effeciently.
    >> I cannot stress this enough, how many guys you see not stretch or do very little of it?
    Im sure there is a poster with various stretching excercies in your gym ( if you don't then suggest it to your gym PT, nice way to get in positive light among people)
    You see people stretching their arms torso and whatnot, but proper hamstring stretches are always actually left behind, even when they think they are stretching it.

2. Im sure there is some box type thing in your gym or chair. Just put it behind you and always finish your rep by sitting on it and stand back up. You wont fall to ground but
    you actually get the FEELING of some muscles you didnt feel before while squatting.

3. I Insist you to watch ALL parts of this video : So you think You can squat. In the end he shows some excercies that are good to do if you want to squat well.
    I would post link but <30 posts. Just search youtube So You Think You Can Squat

4. DO NOT add weight until you perfected your form. Dont think your genetics is a problem, I thought it too but with those advices I learned to overcome it and actually start squatting with good results.

5. Certainly do other excercies that train your hams and legs overall, not only squats.

Stats: 6'1", 210 lbs
    wZk.60 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) wZk.60 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) wZk.60 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) wZk.60 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) wZk.60 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) wZk.60 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) wZk.60 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) wZk.60 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) wZk.60 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) wZk.60 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) wZk.60 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit wZk.60's BodySpace
    Stretch.

And until it's fixed, put 10lbs plate under your heels.

blueballs17 is just really nice. (+1000) blueballs17 is just really nice. (+1000) blueballs17 is just really nice. (+1000) blueballs17 is just really nice. (+1000) blueballs17 is just really nice. (+1000) blueballs17 is just really nice. (+1000) blueballs17 is just really nice. (+1000) blueballs17 is just really nice. (+1000) blueballs17 is just really nice. (+1000) blueballs17 is just really nice. (+1000) blueballs17 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Check out MobilityWOD dot com

I can't post links, so search for "hamstring", "deep squat", and other related terms

SomeRandomName has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SomeRandomName has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SomeRandomName has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SomeRandomName has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SomeRandomName has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SomeRandomName has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SomeRandomName has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SomeRandomName has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SomeRandomName has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SomeRandomName has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SomeRandomName has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Originally Posted by KGV View Post
    1. The MOST important thing is STRETCHING
    And DO NOT think 5 minutes of stretching is enough, ATLEAST 12 minutes, recommended atleast 15 minutes before AND after training, it may seem a boring thing but your body will thank you, besides its other good sideeffects like improving blood circulation and all the protein carbs circulation to your muscles aswell to recover more effeciently.
    >> I cannot stress this enough, how many guys you see not stretch or do very little of it?
    Im sure there is a poster with various stretching excercies in your gym ( if you don't then suggest it to your gym PT, nice way to get in positive light among people)
    You see people stretching their arms torso and whatnot, but proper hamstring stretches are always actually left behind, even when they think they are stretching it.

2. Im sure there is some box type thing in your gym or chair. Just put it behind you and always finish your rep by sitting on it and stand back up. You wont fall to ground but
    you actually get the FEELING of some muscles you didnt feel before while squatting.

3. I Insist you to watch ALL parts of this video : So you think You can squat. In the end he shows some excercies that are good to do if you want to squat well.
    I would post link but <30 posts. Just search youtube So You Think You Can Squat

4. DO NOT add weight until you perfected your form. Dont think your genetics is a problem, I thought it too but with those advices I learned to overcome it and actually start squatting with good results.

5. Certainly do other excercies that train your hams and legs overall, not only squats.
    I'm not sure stretching is the problem as I already stretch a little bit, plus the problem remains after squatting several times. I'll try it though.

I've already watched so you think you can squat, was a good vid. Will try the box squats but I have a home gym so I'm not sure I can find a suitable box.

To the other guy who suggested the weights under heels, I didn't really feel like it helped. Also, I squat on carpet so they sink in a bit... should I use a larger object?

Also I do do other exercises, I do 5 sets of squats, 3 sets of lunges or leg press, 3 sets of leg extensions, 3 sets of leg curls, and 3 supersets of calves

paylowsore is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) paylowsore is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) paylowsore is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) paylowsore is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) paylowsore is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) paylowsore is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) paylowsore is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) paylowsore is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) paylowsore is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) paylowsore is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) paylowsore is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Visit paylowsore's BodySpace
    I actually started stretching and now I can squat more weight. Plus I grew a bit more because I had really bad posture.

Stats: 5'10", 175 lbs
    polishurpolish has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) polishurpolish has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) polishurpolish has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) polishurpolish has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) polishurpolish has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) polishurpolish has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) polishurpolish has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) polishurpolish has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) polishurpolish has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) polishurpolish has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) polishurpolish has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit polishurpolish's BodySpace
    MOBILITY WORK MOBILITY WORK MOBILITY WORK

stretch your hammies and glutes for half an hour a day at least, use bands or towels, get them moving, sit in paleo chair as often as you can, stretch your hip flexors, all of it

its not strength, its flexibility.

throw in some GHR's and stretch for 30 min a day and you'll see a different in a week
    there are no shortcuts to any place worth going.
    hard work pays off, so i take no days off.

ΣΦΕ Sound Mind, Sound Body

Quest to 10k; I Rep Back 5k+

RoadToAesthetic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RoadToAesthetic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RoadToAesthetic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RoadToAesthetic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RoadToAesthetic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RoadToAesthetic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RoadToAesthetic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RoadToAesthetic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RoadToAesthetic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RoadToAesthetic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RoadToAesthetic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit RoadToAesthetic's BodySpace
    Anyone have a good stretching link?

Need to improve my stretching but not sure what the best stretches are

CSP159 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CSP159 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CSP159 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CSP159 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CSP159 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CSP159 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CSP159 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CSP159 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CSP159 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CSP159 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CSP159 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Point your toes at about 30 degrees and push out your knees allowing them to retract and you will hit depth.

also do defrancos' agile 8

Stats: 6'1", 183 lbs
    KGV has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) KGV has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) KGV has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) KGV has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) KGV has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) KGV has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) KGV has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) KGV has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) KGV has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) KGV has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) KGV has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit KGV's BodySpace
    Carpet is not going to help you at all though, Most likely it just makes you more unstable and uncomfortable, also make sure you are either barefooted or wear nice secure footwear with flat bottoms, best are the ones that make your ankle feel tight and secure (if its possible for you , of course).

So the general consensus then is that it's all flexibility for both the glutes and hamstrings, and glute strength isn't an issue?

Will start stretching more and throw GHRs into my leg routine, we'll see what happens... any other suggestions for glute exercises?

Stats: 5'11", 176 lbs
    awithey has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) awithey has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) awithey has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) awithey has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) awithey has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) awithey has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) awithey has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) awithey has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) awithey has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) awithey has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) awithey has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit awithey's BodySpace
    Try hip and ankle mobility exercises. You can look up quite a few on YouTube.
    -<->-Dirty South Crew-<->-

Stats: 5'11", 260 lbs
    BodyPoints: 1107
    pullbcarepull has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pullbcarepull has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pullbcarepull has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pullbcarepull has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pullbcarepull has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pullbcarepull has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pullbcarepull has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pullbcarepull has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pullbcarepull has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pullbcarepull has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pullbcarepull has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit pullbcarepull's BodySpace