KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000)

Abdominal Training in the Bulgarian System

I'm curious about if and how abdominal training is included in the Bulgarian system. Did they treat abs the same way they treated other exercises- maximal lifting 2x a day, did they disregard abs all together or did they do something more conventional?
    Imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, 'This is an interesting world I find myself in, an interesting hole I find myself in, fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!'

- Douglas Adams

jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by KiloNewton View Post
    I'm curious about if and how abdominal training is included in the Bulgarian system. Did they treat abs the same way they treated other exercises- maximal lifting 2x a day, did they disregard abs all together or did they do something more conventional?
    Work up to a heavy hanging leg raise single, back off with some ab wheel rollout volume work. Lol seriously though, what the Bulgarian philosophy was all about was cutting out excess and drilling what was left every day. So nope no ab work.
    Aesthetic goals: achieve doyouevenliftmode

raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000)
    Chakarov did situps.
    "However, the strength of the hamstring muscles is crucial to fully exploit the strength potential of the quads and ultimately the vertical force that the athlete is able to impart to the barbell." - Andrew Charniga, Jr.

someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    what sqauts, snatches, cleans everyday multiples times a day isn't enough work for your abs? Do some heavy belt less front squats and tell me if your abs feel nothing.
    updated 2011
    Hw-Alistair overeem, Brock lesnar, Sergei Kharitonov
    Lhw-jon jones, Gegard Mousasi, Lyoto machida
    Mw-Chael sonnen, Yushin Okami, Ronaldo souza
    ww-Jake shields, Ben Askren, Josh Koscheck
    lw-Bj penn, Tatsuya Kawajiri, Eddie Alvarez
    fw-jose aldo, Hatsu Hioki, Kenny Florian
    bw-Urijah Faber

KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000)
    That is what I expected, just seems odd to me.

And for the other guy: I always do my front squats beltless and heavy and I don't find it delivers a training effect for the abdominal muscles.
    Imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, 'This is an interesting world I find myself in, an interesting hole I find myself in, fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!'

- Douglas Adams

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    @someonefat

They feel more from direct work with planks, or ab wheel, etc than they do from front squats...
    'Prior to the Department of Education, there was no illiteracy'

- Stizzel

someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    my legs 'feel' like they are getting better workout doing leg extensions then heavy squats doesn't mean its better for olympic lifting. You should be getting plenty of abdominal work from just sqauts and the lifts.
    updated 2011
    Hw-Alistair overeem, Brock lesnar, Sergei Kharitonov
    Lhw-jon jones, Gegard Mousasi, Lyoto machida
    Mw-Chael sonnen, Yushin Okami, Ronaldo souza
    ww-Jake shields, Ben Askren, Josh Koscheck
    lw-Bj penn, Tatsuya Kawajiri, Eddie Alvarez
    fw-jose aldo, Hatsu Hioki, Kenny Florian
    bw-Urijah Faber

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by someonefat View Post
    my legs 'feel' like they are getting better workout doing leg extensions then heavy squats doesn't mean its better for olympic lifting. You should be getting plenty of abdominal work from just sqauts and the lifts.
    You guys really need to stop reading every Ahbadjiev article and take it whole heartedly, it's almost like plers and westside. You'll get plenty of ab work from the lifts and squats doesn't mean its optimal and it doesn't mean its enough to keep you from collapsing on heavy lifts.
    'Prior to the Department of Education, there was no illiteracy'

- Stizzel

Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    When I used ab wheel in 6 months I experienced abdominal hypertrophy that seemed like a 5 years worth of it (I never experienced hypertrophy with the lifts or front squats by the way). From this position, after all the "hard work" and after achieving a muscular 44" waist it would be very easy to flip flop and say just do the god damn squats!, after all all I did was something what the weightlifters do when they are 15.

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
    When I used ab wheel in 6 months I experienced abdominal hypertrophy that seemed like a 5 years worth of it (I never experienced hypertrophy with the lifts or front squats by the way). From this position, after all the "hard work" and after achieving a muscular 44" waist it would be very easy to flip flop and say just do the damn squats!, after all all I did was something what the weightlifters do when they are 15.
    thats what I figure. They may not have been doing abs at the top level but I imagine they did them at some point in their development
    "Humility comes before honor"

PhD in Broscience crackyflipside's Avatar
    crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Cubans do weighted hypers and abdominal work at the end of EVERY session. Hypers up to 50% clean and jerk, most of the time closer to 25%, doing 10 reps for 3 sets. Abdominal work is done 20-25 reps 3 sets, it can be done weighted but is not as important as hypers, they do abdominals just to balance out all the work with hypers.
    Olympic Weightlifting: Cuban Method
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=703396581

Snatch: 97kg
    Clean and jerk: 120kg
    Front squat 160kg
    Back squat: 170kg

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by crackyflipside View Post
    Cubans do weighted hypers and abdominal work at the end of EVERY session. Hypers up to 50% clean and jerk, most of the time closer to 25%, doing 10 reps for 3 sets. Abdominal work is done 20-25 reps 3 sets, it can be done weighted but is not as important as hypers, they do abdominals just to balance out all the work with hypers.

thats cool. I been doing at least some hypers everytime I step foot into the gym. They are great to loosen up with. Noticed on the "training champions" ironmind tape that Kolecki and others seemed to do weighted hypers in their warmup everyday. (prolly not heavy though)

btw, where did u get all the cuban training info? is it online or r u using binoculars or what?
    "Humility comes before honor"

batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) batmannu has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    imo abs and lower back workouts are a must to prevent back injuries!!
    NB! If i accidentally neg you or forget to rep back, pm me :3

SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by GoJu View Post
    You guys really need to stop reading every Ahbadjiev article and take it whole heartedly, it's almost like plers and westside. You'll get plenty of ab work from the lifts and squats doesn't mean its optimal and it doesn't mean its enough to keep you from collapsing on heavy lifts.
    I take offense to that! I hate how many plers thing westside is the end all be all for powerlifting programs. Most of the people on the PL section that do train westside are some of the worst lifters on the forum too.
    ***Georgia Crew***