Don't believe the hype... w0bbles's Avatar
    w0bbles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Using bulking routine for cutting as well?

Hey guys,

I was wondering if, with proper diet, could I use the same routine I've been using for bulking, also for cutting but with more reps? Or maybe even change the rep AND set frequency, but keep the workouts? Reason I want to do this is because I love the workouts, and also I want to make sure I don't lose much mass. Here is what I've been doing, it's pretty much a 5x5 program:

5 sets of 5 reps ramping up, separating my lower body and upper body by days. The workouts consist of (not all workouts in one day):
    Lower body =
    Squats
    Deads
    Romanian deads
    Hack squats
    Leg Press
    Calves

Upper body =
    BB/DB Bench
    DB Rows
    Hammer Strength Rows
    Incline BB/DB bench
    Weighted Pull ups
    Weighted Dips

I have seen GREAT results for bulking with these. I love the workouts because they all tackle major muscle groups, but I'm not sure if that's good for cutting? I'm also scared that my body might/or has platued to it.

I was also reading the Routines Stickies and considered this:
    Day 1

4x Squats: 5 reps
    3x Ham Work: 8 reps
    3x BB or DB Row: 8 reps
    2x Bicep Curls: 10 reps

Day 2

4x Bench Press: 5 reps
    3x Military Press: 8 reps
    3x Tricep Isolation: 8 reps
    2x Ab/Calf Work: 15 reps

Day 3

4x Deadlifts: 5 reps
    3x Pullups: 8 reps
    3x Leg Press: 8 reps
    2x Biceps Curls: 10 reps

Day 4

4x DB or Incline Press: 5 reps
    3x Chest Dips: 8 reps
    3x Side Lateral Raise: 8 reps
    2x Ab/Calf Work: 15 reps

It's very similar to what I have been doing, with the exception of a some added arm workouts.

Or should I change my whole routine completely including the workouts?

Thanks in advance!

mrdelvecio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrdelvecio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrdelvecio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrdelvecio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrdelvecio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrdelvecio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrdelvecio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrdelvecio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrdelvecio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrdelvecio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrdelvecio is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    if you like what youre doing then just stick with it and throw in more cardio to burn fat. cutting is pretty much just cardio and how much you eat anyways.

Yes I absolutely love this workout. I have seen some major gains (both strength and weight) in the past 3-4 months.
    That sounds good. Do you think a 20 min incline treadmill walk is good enough cardio, or should I add more to it? I keep my HR at about 135ish (around 65%).

Also what I forgot to mention is, will these major muscle group workouts help out with toning? For example lets say there isn't much of an affect for deltoids than there is for say chest or triceps, should I be adding lateral or front raises into the mix?

mrdelvecio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrdelvecio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrdelvecio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrdelvecio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrdelvecio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrdelvecio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrdelvecio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrdelvecio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrdelvecio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrdelvecio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrdelvecio is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by w0bbles View Post
    Yes I absolutely love this workout. I have seen some major gains (both strength and weight) in the past 3-4 months.
    That sounds good. Do you think a 20 min incline treadmill walk is good enough cardio, or should I add more to it? I keep my HR at about 135ish (around 65%).
    i think you should def do more cardio then that if you wanna burn a lot of fat. unless youre like 60yo then walking probably isnt gonna cut it hahaha you can do whatever you want for cardio but i think running is always the best way to go. just make sure whatever cardio youre doing its atleast 30min. dont worry about the heart rate too much most of that is bull**** anyways. for me to hit my fat buring heart rate i pretty much have to sit down hahaha just do youre cardio at about 75%

Haha thanks!