Tyler_Durdin is just really nice. (+1000) Tyler_Durdin is just really nice. (+1000) Tyler_Durdin is just really nice. (+1000) Tyler_Durdin is just really nice. (+1000) Tyler_Durdin is just really nice. (+1000) Tyler_Durdin is just really nice. (+1000) Tyler_Durdin is just really nice. (+1000) Tyler_Durdin is just really nice. (+1000) Tyler_Durdin is just really nice. (+1000) Tyler_Durdin is just really nice. (+1000) Tyler_Durdin is just really nice. (+1000)

how long to max out after smolov jr?

I just completed smolov jr for bench about 6 days ago

it's weird I'm not sore at all but when i was benching I could feel like a soreness/fatigue in my pecs and triceps

well needless to say I failed even a warmup set leading up to my max and now I don't know what to do

should i wait a few more days and try again? Or should I just count this as a failed day and not try to max for another 2 months?

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Tyler_Durdin View Post
    I just completed smolov jr for bench about 6 days ago

it's weird I'm not sore at all but when i was benching I could feel like a soreness/fatigue in my pecs and triceps

well needless to say I failed even a warmup set leading up to my max and now I don't know what to do

should i wait a few more days and try again? Or should I just count this as a failed day and not try to max for another 2 months?
    smolov jr is pretty intense. Im pretty sure u r just feeling the accumulated fatogue in the muscles/tendons. I got that way near the end of sheiko benching where my triceps sort of ached

id say wait a few days then try again. Better yet, maybe do some light speed benching friday and Monday then try to max again Wed. (or something along those lines, maybe speed bench M and Wed then try to max friday)

a program that intense puts a lot of fatigue on the body and it takes a bit for the body to recover.
    "Humility comes before honor"

Tyler_Durdin is just really nice. (+1000) Tyler_Durdin is just really nice. (+1000) Tyler_Durdin is just really nice. (+1000) Tyler_Durdin is just really nice. (+1000) Tyler_Durdin is just really nice. (+1000) Tyler_Durdin is just really nice. (+1000) Tyler_Durdin is just really nice. (+1000) Tyler_Durdin is just really nice. (+1000) Tyler_Durdin is just really nice. (+1000) Tyler_Durdin is just really nice. (+1000) Tyler_Durdin is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by John Prophet View Post
    smolov jr is pretty intense. Im pretty sure u r just feeling the accumulated fatogue in the muscles/tendons. I got that way near the end of sheiko benching where my triceps sort of ached

id say wait a few days then try again. Better yet, maybe do some light speed benching friday and Monday then try to max again Wed. (or something along those lines, maybe speed bench M and Wed then try to max friday)

a program that intense puts a lot of fatigue on the body and it takes a bit for the body to recover.
    thanks a lot for the detailed answer man

how long did you wait to max out after sheiko?

Crazy as a **** house rat YoBigFatMomma's Avatar
    YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) YoBigFatMomma has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    The two times I've done smolov jr for the bench I waited 3 days and hit a 20 and 30 pound PR. This probably isn't what you want to hear, but I did smolov jr overhead press, and waited 6 days that time. I too failed on my warm ups, and never ended up setting a PR. My conclusion was that 6 days of rest left the CNS too sluggish to perform.
    385/245/485 @ 210

┌─┐
    ┴─┴
    ಠ_ರೃ
    <|>
    ┌8====D
    ⌡ \

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    thanks a lot for the detailed answer man

how long did you wait to max out after sheiko?
    well I didnt do the sheiko "comp" phase. I did the prep phase and then did my own little "peaking" phase to get ready to max.

Im not even sure on the smolov how it is designed as far as it preparing u to max. It may just be designed to build overall strength as opposed to getting u ready to actually max.

on stuff like a sheiko prep phase u arent really ready to max at the end. But on a sheiko comp phase u can look at it and see that it deloads a little toward the end to give the body recovery time so that u can max

Thats why I just suggested doing a few days of speed benching, nothing heavy, then maybe trying to max again. if a program has serious loading, like smolov, the strength gains may not show up well for a week or two because the body is just so fatigued overall

so when u cut the volume way back the body recovers and the strength gains shoot up nicely

scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by YoBigFatMomma View Post
    The two times I've done smolov jr for the bench I waited 3 days and hit a 20 and 30 pound PR. This probably isn't what you want to hear, but I did smolov jr overhead press, and waited 6 days that time. I too failed on my warm ups, and never ended up setting a PR. My conclusion was that 6 days of rest left the CNS too sluggish to perform.
    To add to this the 'gains' you get are sort of deceiving because you're peaking for one specific day that you'll never be able to replicate in the following weeks after the program.
    Misc Strength Crew

well I didnt do the sheiko "comp" phase. I did the prep phase and then did my own little "peaking" phase to get ready to max.

Im not even sure on the smolov how it is designed as far as it preparing u to max. It may just be designed to build overall strength as opposed to getting u ready to actually max.

on stuff like a sheiko prep phase u arent really ready to max at the end. But on a sheiko comp phase u can look at it and see that it deloads a little toward the end to give the body recovery time so that u can max

Thats why I just suggested doing a few days of speed benching, nothing heavy, then maybe trying to max again. if a program has serious loading, like smolov, the strength gains may not show up well for a week or two because the body is just so fatigued overall

so when u cut the volume way back the body recovers and the strength gains shoot up nicely
    Sounds like I should have done sheiko instead lol

Originally Posted by scarboro View Post
    To add to this the 'gains' you get are sort of deceiving because you're peaking for one specific day that you'll never be able to replicate in the following weeks after the program.
    wow are you serious? That sucks hard

youll still have gains lol. I dont think you can go thru serious lifting like smolov and not come out with gains

u made all your reps with the smolov?

scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000)
    youll still have gains lol. I dont think you can go thru serious lifting like smolov and not come out with gains

Yeah but say you get +30lbs. I'd bet alot of money as soon as your off the program and back into what you're doing you wouldn't keep all of the +30lbs you got. Of course it would still be higher than prior to smolov but not the 'peak' gain. Maybe this is common knowledge but the max you get after 3 intensive weeks of smolov jr is not what you could call an 'everyday working max'.
    Misc Strength Crew

Originally Posted by scarboro View Post
    Yeah but say you get +30lbs. I'd bet alot of money as soon as your off the program and back into what you're doing you wouldn't keep all of the +30lbs you got. Of course it would still be higher than prior to smolov but not the 'peak' gain. Maybe this is common knowledge but the max you get after 3 intensive weeks of smolov jr is not what you could call an 'everyday working max'.
    yeah Im sure youre right because a lot of those gains are going to come from the "traces" effect on the CNS. In other words every exercise u do leaves "traces" on the cns. When u r doing the exercise 4 days per week the traces build up, lol. When u back off the frequency then obviously some of those cns gains will retreat

I have never done smolov, but there must be a way to hold those gains with a low vol peaking program thats lets u recover some so u can do a proper max. U may be able to do something like cut the volume way back and just work up to a few heavy singles (not maxes) for maybe 2-3 days

maybe this after the last day of full smolov

Mon 2-4 singles near ur starting max

Wed 4x2@80-85%

Fri 2-4 singles again

Mon 2-4 singles at 90-92% of starting max

We 3x2@80

Fri max

who knows...its all speculation, lol

anyone here ever tried to actually time smolov going into a meet?

hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I will finish up a Smolov Jr cycle this Saturday. I plan on taking only 1 or 2 days off before going for 1 rep max.

Were you doing a lot of lifting other than bench press?

Did you do any opposing muscle group lifts like rows?

BigLarge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigLarge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigLarge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigLarge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigLarge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigLarge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigLarge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigLarge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigLarge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigLarge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BigLarge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I did 6 days of rest and got a 25lb PR. On the 3rd rest day I did light benching, working up to about 60% for a few sets of 3
    RAW ELITE OR DIE

1603 @ 242, raw (4-16-16)

"You can be 175 pounds SHREDDED, but with a T shirt on you just look like a skinny *******" - Mark Ripptoe

yea I only missed a few reps but I also did a few extra on some sets because I was amazed at how endurance I gained lol

my max was 255 so i put 250 in to get my percentages

on the last workout of the week for 10 sets of 3 I was doing 210

on the very last workout I was hittin 230 no problem

Originally Posted by hammerfelt View Post
    I will finish up a Smolov Jr cycle this Saturday. I plan on taking only 1 or 2 days off before going for 1 rep max.

Were you doing a lot of lifting other than bench press?

Did you do any opposing muscle group lifts like rows?
    why in the world would you do that lol

yea I did a lot of pullups and seated rows I did very little lower back work though

hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You mean why would I only wait 1 or 2 days before testing my max? I am very used to squatting heavy 3 days a week and dead lifting 3 days every two weeks for the past 1.5 years. Cutting all that out(fractured foot) and doing only bench press I do not feel very taxed.

Originally Posted by hammerfelt View Post
    You mean why would I only wait 1 or 2 days before testing my max? I am very used to squatting heavy 3 days a week and dead lifting 3 days every two weeks for the past 1.5 years. Cutting all that out(fractured foot) and doing only bench press I do not feel very taxed.
    should that really matter though? I mean if you can max out 2 days afterwards then that most likely means you could have did more?

jthb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jthb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jthb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jthb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jthb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jthb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jthb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jthb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jthb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jthb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jthb is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    should that really matter though? I mean if you can max out 2 days afterwards then that most likely means you could have did more?
    did you max out? how did you do?
    *Misc Strength Crew*
    *Traditional Wet Shave Crew*

I always rep back.

entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I finished the routine on the Saturday, maxed out on the Tuesday, probably not ideal but I was restricted by other things, set a 22lb pr

jthb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jthb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jthb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jthb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jthb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jthb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jthb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jthb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jthb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jthb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jthb is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by entropy1 View Post
    I finished the routine on the Saturday, maxed out on the Tuesday, probably not ideal but I was restricted by other things, set a 22lb pr
    Good job. Why was it not optimal? Did you still notice fatigue in your chest/tris?*
    Currently doing the program, finishing on a Monday and thinking about maxing on Friday.
    *Misc Strength Crew*
    *Traditional Wet Shave Crew*

I always rep back.