spiketronic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Can I maintain weight and still build muscle?

I've dieted, exercised and lifted myself to a weight where I look good (185 down to 168) and bought a whole new wardrobe of clothes. I still want to gain a little more muscle mass and improve my definition, but I'm afraid to eat more because at my age (65) the weight might tend to go to my waist. Don't know what my body fat is, but if I work hard and stay at this weight (I've been super motivated for a year now) will I be able to gain muscle? Or do I need to eat more to make gains?

Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    How do you expect to gain muscle (which is an increase in the amount of space you take up) without weighing more?
    Sept of Baelor was an inside job. Wildfire can't melt stone masonry.

Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Keltron View Post
    How do you expect to gain muscle (which is an increase in the amount of space you take up) without weighing more?
    I am going to say, magic. Final answer.
    If you poke a bear in the eye, expect a bear like response.

discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I get you don't want to go out and buy a whole new wardrobe. Well, no I don't. I love shopping for clothes when I like how I look. It's when I'm a fatass that it's a less pleasurable activity.

Who cares what you weigh? If you recomposition your body by shedding even more fat and gaining some lean mass, you may weigh a few pounds more...but so what? Your clothes will still fit; they'll look better actually.
    Sheriff John Brown always hated me
    For what I don't know
    Every time I plant a seed
    He said kill them before they grow

Registered User HairyScandinavian's Avatar
    HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I've been waiting for a good opportunity to ask a question and this seems like a good thread.

Can one not burn 400 calories (fat hopefully?) with an hour of cardio in a day and then eat at a 400 calorie surplus over the rest of the 23 hours and make some progress?

Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by HairyScandinavian View Post
    I've been waiting for a good opportunity to ask a question and this seems like a good thread.

Can one not burn 400 calories (fat hopefully?) with an hour of cardio in a day and then eat at a 400 calorie surplus over the rest of the 23 hours and make some progress?
    I think it depends on the type of cardio. JMO. Plus, the diet would have to be almost perfect.

A nice steady metabolism and some decent genetics don't hurt either.
    If you poke a bear in the eye, expect a bear like response.

Originally Posted by Keltron View Post
    Maybe what I meant was, how can I gain weight and make sure it doesn't increase my waist size?

ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Lift often, as heavy as you can, eat wisely and let the chips fall where they may. Scale weight means nothing.

DorteeClan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DorteeClan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DorteeClan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DorteeClan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DorteeClan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DorteeClan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DorteeClan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DorteeClan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DorteeClan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DorteeClan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DorteeClan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by spiketronic View Post
    I've dieted, exercised and lifted myself to a weight where I look good (185 down to 168) and bought a whole new wardrobe of clothes. I still want to gain a little more muscle mass and improve my definition, but I'm afraid to eat more because at my age (65) the weight might tend to go to my waist. Don't know what my body fat is, but if I work hard and stay at this weight (I've been super motivated for a year now) will I be able to gain muscle? Or do I need to eat more to make gains?
    Congrats on your weight loss! What you have to do now is start lifting heavier, eating slightly over your maintenance and walking the fine line between calorie surplus and deficit. You also need to decide how strict you want to get. Are you happy at the weight you are? Will you freak out if you start to gain weight back just to look a little more "defined"? If you're happy where you are, do you want to take the chance that your new clothes will stop fitting if you start eating more hoping to make muscle gains? Will you lose your motivation?

Just my 2¢.
    If you argue with a madman, it is extremely probable that you will get the worst of it; for in many ways his mind moves all the quicker for not being delayed by the things that go with good judgment. He is not hampered by a sense of humor or by charity, or by the dumb certainties of experience. He is the more logical for losing sane affections. The madman is not the man who has lost his reason. The madman is the man who has lost everything except his reason. -- G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy

paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ljimd View Post
    Lift often, as heavy as you can, eat wisely and let the chips fall where they may. Scale weight means nothing.
    You know, I think I've finally come to realize the truth of your last statement!
    paolo59

"If you're going through hell, keep going!" Winston Churchill

mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by paolo59 View Post
    You know, I think I've finally come to realize the truth of your last statement!
    Absolutely, control what you can control and don't worry about the rest.
    2 + 2 = 5 (for extremely large values of 2)

Try SCE to AUX

kickblake is a name known to all. (+5000) kickblake is a name known to all. (+5000) kickblake is a name known to all. (+5000) kickblake is a name known to all. (+5000) kickblake is a name known to all. (+5000) kickblake is a name known to all. (+5000) kickblake is a name known to all. (+5000) kickblake is a name known to all. (+5000) kickblake is a name known to all. (+5000) kickblake is a name known to all. (+5000) kickblake is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by spiketronic View Post
    Maybe what I meant was, how can I gain weight and make sure it doesn't increase my waist size?
    Originally Posted by ljimd View Post
    Pretty much this. You will always gain some amount of fat while bulking, there's just no way around it.

The only question I have for the original poster is this: do you want to be physically larger or just simply stronger? Cuz you can gain some strength without gaining weight.
    ** KNEE DRAGGERS UNITE **
    2002 Kawasaki KLX 110
    2007 Yamaha R6

*fatty on permacut crew*

Originally Posted by kickblake View Post
    Pretty much this. You will always gain some amount of fat while bulking, there's just no way around it.

The only question I have for the original poster is this: do you want to be physically larger or just simply stronger? Cuz you can gain some strength without gaining weight.
    I really don't care about the weight gain, just want to keep my waist size where it is now. I see lots of pix of guys who have trim waists and well developed upper bodies, so getting bigger and stronger would be fine.