Crumbles21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exclamation DEPLOYED: Need ideas for food I can get delivered to Afghanistan

Ok, so here I am prepping for a my Italy wedding in November and a long term goal of a competition when I return to the States from a long engagement in Afghanistan...

You'd think the food in the chow halls that is supposed to provide nutrition for the fighting forces from all over the world would have some good quality stuff, right? SO WRONG!!!! It's a miracle if I can find the ingredients for a somewhat decent salad, and I am NOT the salad type. And protein, yeah if I want it deep fried sure... It used to be I could go get all stocked up everyday on some fruit in the morning and veggies at lunch and divide it up for my mini meals but the food has gone down hill in a hurry lately, canned in syrup fruit and canned scary looking veggies are all I am seeing lately.

What I am looking for is some ideas for recipes and food I can order and have shipped here via the many online grocers. I would really like to eat unprocessed healthy foods and generally stick to a pretty strict meal plan... lots of protein and complex carbs; so I am trying to find out if anyone knows of some products that I don't know about since I have been here so long. Can't be frozen, refrigerated, or perishable obviously. (Hey but if you are a saint and wanna sneakily send me some produce that can handle the trip be my guest, i could really use some sweet potatoes)

I have the hook-up on chicken breasts, and have a hot plate, pans, and a small toaster oven. All I need is some more ideas!!!

Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Boxed sweet potatoes (not ideal, but better than nothing)
    canned tuna
    canned chicken
    quinoa
    brown rice
    lentils
    peanut butter
    protein powder (natch)
    protein bars
    granola bars

Also, I spent two deployments having to eat properly at the DFAC. Do you guys have a grill station at yours? Afghanistan is a bit more spartan than Iraq, I understand, but I used to eat a ton of grilled chicken breasts. My breakfast was usually a bagel with peanut butter and hardboiled eggs. Lunch was a salad or pasta (small portion) with grilled chicken. Dinner was the same. My snacks were protein bars. Occasionally the DFAC would have cottage cheese, and I'd mix that with tuna. We also had a sandwich bar -- cold cuts aren't the IDEAL source of protein, but they're great in a pinch.

Good luck!
    I'm here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and I'm all out of bubble gum.

1 January 2017: 175.0
    1 June 2017: 154.4
    Goal Weight: 145.0 (by 1 August)

Week 1: 154.3 (6/2/17); Week 2: 154.4 (6/9/17); Week 3: 152.4 (6/16/17); Week 4: Friday 23th June; Week 5: Friday 30th June

Crumbles21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Paichka View Post
    Boxed sweet potatoes (not ideal, but better than nothing)
    canned tuna
    canned chicken
    quinoa
    brown rice
    lentils
    peanut butter
    protein powder (natch)
    protein bars
    granola bars

Also, I spent two deployments having to eat properly at the DFAC. Do you guys have a grill station at yours? Afghanistan is a bit more spartan than Iraq, I understand, but I used to eat a ton of grilled chicken breasts. My breakfast was usually a bagel with peanut butter and hardboiled eggs. Lunch was a salad or pasta (small portion) with grilled chicken. Dinner was the same. My snacks were protein bars. Occasionally the DFAC would have cottage cheese, and I'd mix that with tuna. We also had a sandwich bar -- cold cuts aren't the IDEAL source of protein, but they're great in a pinch.

Good luck!
    Thanks for the ideas, hadn't thought about lentils... adding those to my cart on netgrocer now! Wish I could force myself to eat tuna... but we just don't get along, as much as I keep trying it I just hate fish of all kind (hate really isn't a strong enough word.)

You are right Afghanistan is way more spartan than Iraq, I had no problem there keeping to my meal plan.
    No grill station, and they only have chicken breasts maybe once a week at best. I would try to steal as many as possible in a to go plate, but they won't give to-go chow to contractors anymore, so I have to smuggle out what ever food I can... For instance today I stole 2 sandwich bags of broccoli (i was shocked to see it there) in my cargo pockets and 2 apples.

Any recommends on protein bars that taste halfway decent and are loaded with sugar? The ones here at the PX might as well be a candy bar for the lack of protein and high sugar.

KasaraBrianne is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KasaraBrianne is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KasaraBrianne is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KasaraBrianne is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KasaraBrianne is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KasaraBrianne is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KasaraBrianne is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KasaraBrianne is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KasaraBrianne is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KasaraBrianne is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KasaraBrianne is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I absolutely LOVE Supreme Carb Conscious bars, but Quest bars are also super yummy

NotReal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NotReal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NotReal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NotReal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NotReal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NotReal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NotReal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NotReal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NotReal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NotReal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NotReal has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    The serving sizes aren't accurate in these chow halls either.
    Corporal of Marines

Dymatize ISO-100 Protein-----XF UP 2.0
    White Flood-----DS LX
    AllMax MCM-----CL GG
    Pump-Bol-----SNS B-A
    Orange Triad-----SNS Agmatine
    PsyKO
    ON Fish Oil Caps

Original Registration Sept. 2007. (Fail at remembering BS password, fail harder at remembering associated email password.)

Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Sure, the serving sizes aren't accurate, but if you do a little eyeballing, you can figure out proper portions. IE, a serving of meat is the size of your palm, a cup of pasta or rice is the size of your fist, etc etc.

I like kashi golean bars.

If you aren't a tuna person, go for chicken. They sell chicken in cans and pouches now -- it isn't the most delicious thing out there, but it's aiight. Also, ostrich jerky. And IIRC, bodybuilding.com sells a high protein peanut butter -- I have no idea how it tastes, but that's an option.

Oatmeal, too. Mixed nuts (unsalted, natch).
    I'm here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and I'm all out of bubble gum.

1 January 2017: 175.0
    1 June 2017: 154.4
    Goal Weight: 145.0 (by 1 August)

Week 1: 154.3 (6/2/17); Week 2: 154.4 (6/9/17); Week 3: 152.4 (6/16/17); Week 4: Friday 23th June; Week 5: Friday 30th June

fittness93 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fittness93 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fittness93 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fittness93 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fittness93 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fittness93 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fittness93 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fittness93 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fittness93 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fittness93 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fittness93 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Can you have a digital scale? That might help you with what meal choices you do have available? Take some of the guesswork out, etc.

I love PB2 powdered peanut butter. Low in calories, and you can add it to almost anything easily. If it's mixed into things, it tastes great. Not a fan of it alone, but that's okay, I'm not a big peanut butter lover anyway.

ac66 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ac66 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ac66 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ac66 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ac66 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ac66 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ac66 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ac66 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ac66 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ac66 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ac66 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Thanks for your service man

Registered User coconuttree2009's Avatar
    coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000)
    You can make your own protein bars with pb, oats, whey - lots of recipes on this site.
    Do you like tofu? Normally it is vacuum packed, therefore easy to ship.
    As well as lentils, you can try chickpeas, soya beans, quinoa - all good sources of protein.

NotReal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NotReal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NotReal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NotReal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NotReal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NotReal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NotReal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NotReal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NotReal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NotReal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NotReal has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by fittness93 View Post
    Can you have a digital scale? That might help you with what meal choices you do have available? Take some of the guesswork out, etc.

I love PB2 powdered peanut butter. Low in calories, and you can add it to almost anything easily. If it's mixed into things, it tastes great. Not a fan of it alone, but that's okay, I'm not a big peanut butter lover anyway.
    You could but generally you eat in the chow hall with hundreds of other military members... I would imagine some odd looks coming your way if you sat down with your plate and busted out a digital scale right there on the table.....
    Corporal of Marines

White Flood-----DS LX
    AllMax MCM-----CL GG
    Pump-Bol-----SNS B-A
    PsyKO
    ON Fish Oil Caps

Original Registration Sept. 2007. (Fail at remembering BS password, fail harder at remembering associated email password.)

fittness93 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fittness93 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fittness93 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fittness93 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fittness93 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fittness93 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fittness93 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fittness93 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fittness93 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fittness93 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fittness93 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I thought of a scale being a bit much, but I know some people that have to prep for their yearly fitness exams get a little more technical and hardcore, so maybe one could get by with the scale without too many looks. One guy I knew in Iraq was weighing food, but then, we're talking older soldiers who are under a bit more pressure to get in under requirements.

I only have to deal with athletes on a daily basis, not military. I can't put myself in a military persons shoes. I'm sure there's a lot more to it than I can imagine.

BTW, OP, thanks for your service. I have to second that.

Originally Posted by fittness93 View Post
    I thought of a scale being a bit much, but I know some people that have to prep for their yearly fitness exams get a little more technical and hardcore, so maybe one could get by with the scale without too many looks. One guy I knew in Iraq was weighing food, but then, we're talking older soldiers who are under a bit more pressure to get in under requirements.

I only have to deal with athletes on a daily basis, not military. I can't put myself in a military persons shoes. I'm sure there's a lot more to it than I can imagine.

BTW, OP, thanks for your service. I have to second that.
    It really isn't that bad, it's just when we are deployed that we cannot really crack down on our diets, lifting equipment and space is limited as well as time, etc.
    Corporal of Marines

White Flood-----DS LX
    AllMax MCM-----CL GG
    Pump-Bol-----SNS B-A
    PsyKO
    ON Fish Oil Caps