KM_chick is not very well liked. (-100) KM_chick is not very well liked. (-100) KM_chick is not very well liked. (-100) KM_chick is not very well liked. (-100) KM_chick is not very well liked. (-100) KM_chick is not very well liked. (-100) KM_chick is not very well liked. (-100) KM_chick is not very well liked. (-100) KM_chick is not very well liked. (-100) KM_chick is not very well liked. (-100) KM_chick is not very well liked. (-100)

GI issues when ingesting whey protein in cooked food

(I posted about this in the supplement forum earlier this evening, but I suppose that wasn't the best place to post about this and the environment was pretty hostile. I hope this particular forum is better suited for my question. Forgive me if it isn't..this is only my second post here on the BB forums.)

I have tried on 2 separate occasions to add whey protein powder to cooked food. The first time was a broth based avocado soup (dairy-free, meat-free, egg-free, gluten-free) with unflavored Jarrow Formula whey protein. I developed some bad stomach cramping, and was informed that it was due to using a poor quality whey. I was told to try cooking with whey again but using a higher quality powder. The second time I used Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Natural vanilla whey in blueberry muffins (boxed mix, called for milk and an egg. I used unsweetened soy milk and one fresh egg). The first time I ate a muffin I developed bad stomach cramping but I figured it was something else I had eaten. I ate a muffin two days later and had even worse stomach cramping along with nausea/vomiting and diarrhea. Let it be known I can take in whey protein just fine in shake form. No GI problems whatsoever. I have also cooked with soy protein isolate before and did not have any problems either. I have NO known allergies or sensitivities to milk, soy, eggs, gluten, or blueberries.

Since I have tried two different times to cook with whey protein and became ill each time, but have no issues when taking whey in shake form.....I am curious to know if there is anybody out there with enough science knowledge who can possibly hypothesize as to what the issue is? I understand the denaturing process that takes place when cooking protein, but is it possible to have a sensitivity to the denatured whey protein but not the NON-denatured form? If so, wouldn't that mean I had some sort of sensitivity to the amino acids found in whey and wouldn't I have this reaction at other times? And how is it possible for one to become ill when consuming cooked whey protein, but not get ill when consuming foods made with cooked dairy products (as I would imagine cooked whey and other forms of cooked dairy would have somewhat similar molecular make-ups or am I wrong on this)? I hope someone can provide a little insight on this for me as my efforts to google this has proven to be unsuccessful. Thanks in advance for any knowledge anyone is able to share on this issue!
    Last edited by KM_chick; 07-26-2011 at 06:28 PM.

creinhold has a spectacular aura about. (+250) creinhold has a spectacular aura about. (+250) creinhold has a spectacular aura about. (+250) creinhold has a spectacular aura about. (+250) creinhold has a spectacular aura about. (+250) creinhold has a spectacular aura about. (+250) creinhold has a spectacular aura about. (+250) creinhold has a spectacular aura about. (+250) creinhold has a spectacular aura about. (+250) creinhold has a spectacular aura about. (+250) creinhold has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by KM_chick View Post
    (I posted about this in the supplement forum earlier this evening, but I suppose that wasn't the best place to post about this and the environment was pretty hostile. I hope this particular forum is better suited for my question. Forgive me if it isn't..this is only my second post here on the BB forums.)

I have tried on 2 separate occasions to add whey protein powder to cooked food. The first time was a broth based avocado soup (dairy-free, meat-free, egg-free, gluten-free) with unflavored Jarrow Formula whey protein. I developed some bad stomach cramping, and was informed that it was due to using a poor quality whey. I was told to try cooking with whey again but using a higher quality powder. The second time I used Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Natural vanilla whey in blueberry muffins (boxed mix, called for milk and an egg. I used unsweetened soy milk and one fresh egg). The first time I ate a muffin I developed bad stomach cramping but I figured it was something else I had eaten. I ate a muffin two days later and had even worse stomach cramping along with nausea/vomiting and diarrhea. Let it be known I can take in whey protein just fine in shake form. No GI problems whatsoever. I have also cooked with soy protein isolate before and did not have any problems either. I have NO known allergies or sensitivities to milk, soy, eggs, gluten, or blueberries.

Since I have tried two different times to cook with whey protein and became ill each time, but have no issues when taking whey in shake form.....I am curious to know if there is anybody out there with enough science knowledge who can possibly hypothesize as to what the issue is? I understand the denaturing process that takes place when cooking protein, but is it possible to have a sensitivity to the denatured whey protein but not the NON-denatured form? If so, wouldn't that mean I had some sort of sensitivity to the amino acids found in whey and wouldn't I have this reaction at other times? And how is it possible for one to become ill when consuming cooked whey protein, but not get ill when consuming foods made with cooked dairy products (as I would imagine cooked whey and other forms of cooked dairy would have somewhat similar molecular make-ups or am I wrong on this)? I hope someone can provide a little insight on this for me as my efforts to google this has proven to be unsuccessful. Thanks in advance for any knowledge anyone is able to share on this issue!
    The only time I have "ccoked" with whey is chocolate proats w/ pb, which is really good btw. *I have never noticed any problems. *If you do though why would you just drink a shake*separately then eat your muffins/soup? *I imagine the muffins/soup would taste much better that way. **

NaturallyGreat is not very well liked. (-100) NaturallyGreat is not very well liked. (-100) NaturallyGreat is not very well liked. (-100) NaturallyGreat is not very well liked. (-100) NaturallyGreat is not very well liked. (-100) NaturallyGreat is not very well liked. (-100) NaturallyGreat is not very well liked. (-100) NaturallyGreat is not very well liked. (-100) NaturallyGreat is not very well liked. (-100) NaturallyGreat is not very well liked. (-100) NaturallyGreat is not very well liked. (-100)
    Yeah just separate it
    ~Follow me~
    { NO LIMITS!! ~NaturallyGreat's Journey~ }........located in Contest Prep Logs

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

~Contest History~

2011 Steel Valley Classic - Placed 1st in the Men's Open Lightweight and 2nd in the Teen Division ( teen posing routine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3-v7MbN4Iw )