JDevenger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Bench weight going down? Need a little advice.

Hello everybody, I just made this account today to seek out some advice. I am pretty new to lifting and the such, and have gotten myself into a bit of a pickle, and I need some help getting out of it.

A little background about myself, I started doing some strength training for the first time around January / February. Ive always been a bigger dude, and had big strong legs, but I have found my arms and chest to be lacking, as I have never trained them before.

My main goal, is to shred my remaining fat, and get bigger in the process.

I am 20 years old, 6 foot, and weighed about 242 when I started working out, and I am down to about 195 lbs currently. I started out trying to run every day, and consistently worked out twice a week with a friend. Basically we had a chest day, and an arm day.

My main problem as of recently has been benching, as I have never really felt 100% comfortable with my technique.

Things went great for the first few months, my workout partner is smaller than me in weight, and physical build. He is a little shorter and about 30 lbs lighter than me. He has been lifting a lot longer than me, so It didnt bother me that he was putting up more than myself. After the months went on, both of our bench weights went up pretty quickly, and I just about caught up with him, and I was feeling pretty good about my self.

At this point, after a few good months, I was about 205 lbs and kind of plateaued at that weight for a bit, but my benching weight was going up. Then we went from lifting twice a week, to three times a week. The whole chest/shoulder routine twice a week, Monday / Friday and arms Wednesday. I started to lose some more weight, down to about 195 now, but my benching weight and other chest/shoulder exercise weight has been going down. And I have been struggling, while my friend constantly improves from week to week, So he is increasing his weight, while mine is decreasing.

We both take jack3d, and his advice is to just cycle off it, ( which I should, but Ive been broke ) and buy something else, and to take more protein, and he thinks it will solve my problem. But I just dont think going out and buying something else will magically fix my problem. My point on the matter is, the way the whole supplement market is designed today, all the companies just want you to go out and buy every new product that comes out, There is always a new "cutting edge" product coming out every week or two, and they want you to go out and buy it. I just dont think having all these different supplements and pills or whatever is going to really help me a great deal. I mean what did people do before flashy advertising campaigns? and an unlimited about of different supplements. I thought doing chest twice a week might be too much, but hes obviously improving.

I maxed out at about 215 lbs benchpressing a few weeks ago, and I couldnt even put up 205 today. It just feels like I am getting weaker. So I dont know if its my diet? or protein intake? or If I am over working my chest. It just doesnt make sense. I have all this new muscle definition I never had before but im getting weaker, and my workout partner is going back to college soon and I will be on my own again. I need to turn things around and start improving again.

So sorry for the long read, but that is my dilemma.
    Any info is much appreciated! and If I didnt provide enough info please ask, and Ill let you know.

Thanks again!

white_shoes52 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have the same problem.. Please someone help us!!

j.flores will become famous soon enough. (+50) j.flores will become famous soon enough. (+50) j.flores will become famous soon enough. (+50) j.flores will become famous soon enough. (+50) j.flores will become famous soon enough. (+50) j.flores will become famous soon enough. (+50) j.flores will become famous soon enough. (+50) j.flores will become famous soon enough. (+50) j.flores will become famous soon enough. (+50) j.flores will become famous soon enough. (+50) j.flores will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by JDevenger View Post
    Hello everybody, I just made this account today to seek out some advice. I am pretty new to lifting and the such, and have gotten myself into a bit of a pickle, and I need some help getting out of it.

A little background about myself, I started doing some strength training for the first time around January / February. Ive always been a bigger dude, and had big strong legs, but I have found my arms and chest to be lacking, as I have never trained them before.

I am 20 years old, 6 foot, and weighed about 242 when I started working out, and I am down to about 195 lbs currently. I started out trying to run every day, and consistently worked out twice a week with a friend. Basically we had a chest day, and an arm day.

My main problem as of recently has been benching, as I have never really felt 100% comfortable with my technique.

Things went great for the first few months, my workout partner is smaller than me in weight, and physical build. He is a little shorter and about 30 lbs lighter than me. He has been lifting a lot longer than me, so It didnt bother me that he was putting up more than myself. After the months went on, both of our bench weights went up pretty quickly, and I just about caught up with him, and I was feeling pretty good about my self.

At this point, after a few good months, I was about 205 lbs and kind of plateaued at that weight for a bit, but my benching weight was going up. Then we went from lifting twice a week, to three times a week. The whole chest/shoulder routine twice a week, Monday / Friday and arms Wednesday. I started to lose some more weight, down to about 195 now, but my benching weight and other chest/shoulder exercise weight has been going down. And I have been struggling, while my friend constantly improves from week to week, So he is increasing his weight, while mine is decreasing.

We both take jack3d, and his advice is to just cycle off it, ( which I should, but Ive been broke ) and buy something else, and to take more protein, and he thinks it will solve my problem. But I just dont think going out and buying something else will magically fix my problem. My point on the matter is, the way the whole supplement market is designed today, all the companies just want you to go out and buy every new product that comes out, There is always a new "cutting edge" product coming out every week or two, and they want you to go out and buy it. I just dont think having all these different supplements and pills or whatever is going to really help me a great deal. I mean what did people do before flashy advertising campaigns? and an unlimited about of different supplements. I thought doing chest twice a week might be too much, but hes obviously improving.

I maxed out at about 215 lbs benchpressing a few weeks ago, and I couldnt even put up 205 today. It just feels like I am getting weaker. So I dont know if its my diet? or protein intake? or If I am over working my chest. It just doesnt make sense. I have all this new muscle definition I never had before but im getting weaker, and my workout partner is going back to college soon and I will be on my own again. I need to turn things around and start improving again.

Any info is much appreciated! and If I didnt provide enough info please ask, and Ill let you know.

Thanks again!
    i to dropped alot of weight i went from 230 down to 150lbs. i was benching 275 at 230lbs and when i dropped down to 150 my bench went down to 215. so my main problem was the long runs and execisve cardio i cut that out and just stuck to hiit. with a new program and more focus on my lifting i am back up to 255 max and sure to hit more on my next chest workout. i recomend cycle off jacked dont take a pre supp for at least a month then i would recommend no xplod or no shotgon(my preference)
    the main thing you have to do is make sure you are getting enough protein at least i gram per lb of body weight.
    ex. im at 160 and try to hit 200grams of protein on liffting days. also make sure your eating enought or you wont grow.
    J.Flores

paroot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paroot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paroot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paroot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paroot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paroot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paroot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paroot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paroot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paroot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) paroot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    As you lost weight, all of that weight was not FAT, some of it was your lean body mass (LBM), mainly composed of muscle, bone, organs etc. As it is very difficult to lose the latter, you lost muscle mass making your lifts go down.

As far as the supplements, go with whatever you can afford. They are supplements, to supplement your diet, not to replace it. Eat protein don't drink it all the time. Consume anywhere between 1g-2g protein per lb of LBM. (total weight x fat% = X. Total weight - X = LBM). Simple enough?

Make sure you are not overworking the muscle either. Get a good warmup. Most people actually find they warm up with say 50% of the 1RM, gradually increase to 80%, even though it might be 3-4 warmup sets, the muscle is now capable of doing more, vs just jumping into the 215lb benchpress you do.

Now ask yourself a couple questions. What do I want to weigh? How much do I want to be able to lift? Once you have your answer you will know where to go from there. You have to gain weight to gain muscle mass, so if you want to weigh less, continue to have your lifts drop. If you want to lift more, eat more, lift heavier, gain weight some of which will be fat.

Easiest way to say it. Pick a single goal and work towards it. Most people are unable to do both at the same time. Genetics are just against us. Perhaps your friends are better. Is he losing weight like you are, or gaining? How is his diet?

How you lift, % of 1RM (your max weight lifted 1 time), how many reps, how many sets. Did you warm up? When you do your cardio? Do you stretch at all? When did you last eat before the workout, after the workout, what it included (carbs, protein mainly). How much cardio do you do also affects everything. 5-8 reps at 80% 1RM, for 5 sets or more is optimal for strength and size gains.

Pick what you want, easiest way to say it.
    Jan 29, 2012 - 240.4
    April 20, 2012 - ???.?

We will see...

Asjr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by JDevenger View Post

Thanks again!
    Well I would never put arms in the middle of the week. I do arms at the end of the week simply because your biceps and triceps get worked with chest and back. Monday is chest day, wednesday is back Friday is for legs and Saturday is arms and shoulders. That gives my arms 2 full days of recovery and 36 hours recovery before chest. Also are taking protein before workout? Bench is a good excersise but not really a sourse for someone who is truly strong. My chest routine

Barbell bench 12reps 135lbs 2sec down, 2sec up, 10 reps 185lbs, 10 reps 195lbs
    Barbell incline- same as above
    Barbell decline- same as above
    Dumbbell bench- 50lbs x 10, 55lbs x 10, 60lbs x 10
    Dumbbell incline- 55lbs 3x10
    Dumbbell decline- 55lbs 3x10
    Dumbbell fly flat- 27.5lbs x 15, 30lbs x 12, 30lbs to failure
    Dumbbell fly incline- same as above
    Dumbbell fly decline- same as above
    Cable cross-over- 25lbs 3 sets all to failure

Now I am no pro, but I have gains weekly and usually up my weight. Chest build takes time, clean cut chest takes very hard work and many months in the gym. Mix up your routine. I see guys benching 300lbs and couldn't do 10 flys.
    Like I said, take what I say with a grain of salt and good luck.

Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    a) I wish you got on a better workout program
    b) When you lose weight, you lose some muscle. That would account for 100% of the strength you lost.
    c) Don't train hard every workout. You need to dissipate some fatigue by lightening the load for some workouts while keeping sets and reps the same. and/or you need to take 1 or more workouts off.

Originally Posted by paroot View Post
    As you lost weight, all of that weight was not FAT, some of it was your lean body mass (LBM), mainly composed of muscle, bone, organs etc. As it is very difficult to lose the latter, you lost muscle mass making your lifts go down.

As far as the supplements, go with whatever you can afford. They are supplements, to supplement your diet, not to replace it. Eat protein don't drink it all the time. Consume anywhere between 1g-2g protein per lb of LBM. (total weight x fat% = X. Total weight - X = LBM). Simple enough?

Make sure you are not overworking the muscle either. Get a good warmup. Most people actually find they warm up with say 50% of the 1RM, gradually increase to 80%, even though it might be 3-4 warmup sets, the muscle is now capable of doing more, vs just jumping into the 215lb benchpress you do.

Now ask yourself a couple questions. What do I want to weigh? How much do I want to be able to lift? Once you have your answer you will know where to go from there. You have to gain weight to gain muscle mass, so if you want to weigh less, continue to have your lifts drop. If you want to lift more, eat more, lift heavier, gain weight some of which will be fat.

Easiest way to say it. Pick a single goal and work towards it. Most people are unable to do both at the same time. Genetics are just against us. Perhaps your friends are better. Is he losing weight like you are, or gaining? How is his diet?

How you lift, % of 1RM (your max weight lifted 1 time), how many reps, how many sets. Did you warm up? When you do your cardio? Do you stretch at all? When did you last eat before the workout, after the workout, what it included (carbs, protein mainly). How much cardio do you do also affects everything. 5-8 reps at 80% 1RM, for 5 sets or more is optimal for strength and size gains.

Pick what you want, easiest way to say it.
    Thanks for all the replies....

To try and answer your question, In terms of goals, I want to get bigger, and put on more muscle, but at the same time I am trying to cut some more fat from my chest / abdomen. I wanted to just lose 40 lbs initially, but Ive passed that, and Ive seen definite improvements in terms of muscle definition and strength since I started lifting, So I wanted to cut the little remaining fat I have left in my midsection, while gaining strength and muscle in the same general area.

I initially tried to run every day, and lost weight quickly. It was easy, because I would work mostly nights, and could just run after I got out of work late at night, and get to sleep in the next morning, all the while burning excess calories from the day, but Ive since changed jobs, and work mornings so I dont have the energy to run every single night, so Ive cut my running down to a few times a week 2-3 times. Which ill run roughly somewhere between 3.3 - 3.5 miles each time, without stopping, granted its not scorching hot out on the track. I was running as much as 5 miles at a time on occasion when I first started out. So overall, I am doing less cardio, so I dont think that is my problem at this point. But I could still very well be wrong.

On days I dont run, either on lifting days or not, Ill try and get some type of cardio, whether it be playing tennis for an hour, or a couple hours, or going for a hike. ( I live in New England )

I usually jump into my exercises without warming up, which It sounds like it is a good idea to do so.

Unless I work out later in the day, around 5 or so lets say, I dont really eat a whole lot before I work out. Ill have a protein shake before with a piece of fruit or something. So I usually either get up and go work out, or get out of work, and immediately work out. So minimally... I always have a protein shake before, and some fruit, or a cereal bar or something.

If I had to work that day, ( I work with produce all day ) Ill snack on some grapes, strawberries, blackberries, and the such. Maybe have some type of protein or carbs on my break. But nothing big. On the days I work out later in the day like 5 o clock or so, I ideally try to eat a few hours, maybe 3 or so before I lift, and take my pre workout shake 30-40 min before I begin my workout.

As of an overall diet, there could be some definite improvements. Ive never been a breakfast person, and generally hate eating in the morning, so I usually snack during the day, and eat 1 good sized meal. This always comes after my workout. I dont have enough vegetables in my diet, but I eat mostly high protein meats, ( steak, chicken, pork chops, and the like ) and always avoid the fat on the particular pieces. I will also maybe have pasta once a week, and something high in protein and fat once a week, like maybe hamburgers or hotdogs on the grill.

So diet, not ideal, but ive still managed to lose nearly 50 lbs. But it seems that may be my problem. But im not certain. My workout buddy debunks my theory every time I bring it up because he has lost about 20 lbs, and weighs around 167. And he is still seeing gains. So it confuses me. Hes lost a lot less weight than me, but he does more cardio, and does it for longer periods of time. ( he runs 5 miles prob 5 days a week avg. )

I always stretch before doing any type of cardio, but usually dont stretch before chest or arm days. Maybe my quads and groin sometimes.

As for protein shakes, I started out trying to have two shakes a day, and then gradually just took my protein shakes the days I had to lift, taking into account I eat mostly high protein meats, Ive read conflicting things about how much protein is enough, and how much is too much, so there was a period I thought I was taking too much protein and just wasting a lot of it, and went to taking my shakes only on my lifting days. But now that I have added another day to my regimen, I have been getting negative results. So starting today, Im going to a more strict 1lb of protein for lb of lean body mass which I have heard, but I am going to be strict about it this time and follow through with it. So hopefully that helps.

So im not sure what my problem is exactly. My research suggests to eat more, and lift more to gain mass,muscle, and strength and eat less and do more cardio to loss weight and get leaner. I am having a hard time finding the middle ground. I still have stubborn chest fat I am trying to get rid of, and the idea of eating more than I already do doesnt sit well with the little guy sitting on my shoulder telling me I need to lose more weight, and to not indulge myself every single time I get hungry and want to eat something.

The only thing I have come up with so far, is to continue doing my weight training about three times a week. And keep up with my cardio every couple of days to gradually fill out the remaining fat with muscle? Does that sound somewhat feasible?
    Last edited by JDevenger; 07-27-2011 at 06:34 PM.

sircharles032 is a name known to all. (+5000) sircharles032 is a name known to all. (+5000) sircharles032 is a name known to all. (+5000) sircharles032 is a name known to all. (+5000) sircharles032 is a name known to all. (+5000) sircharles032 is a name known to all. (+5000) sircharles032 is a name known to all. (+5000) sircharles032 is a name known to all. (+5000) sircharles032 is a name known to all. (+5000) sircharles032 is a name known to all. (+5000) sircharles032 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    1. Start training full body and not just chest/shoulders.

2. If you're losing weight, especially rapidly, it is common to lose some strength in all of your lifts.

3. If you've been doing chest/shoulders at least twice a week for the past however many months you've said, maybe you just want to try to take a week off and deload (there is a sticky for this) and that can often times help.

4. Make sure you've eaten enough to actually have a productive workout. And don't run or do cardio before you lift as that can be pretty fatiguing.

5. Don't base your success or failure off of ANYTHING that your friend does similar or differently. You're two unique individuals and you should approach your training as such.

6. You don't need any supps besides adequate protein. This includes Jack3d or any other PWO (I prefer working out WITHOUT these unless I've been at work until late and I really need a pick me up)

7. Congrats on the weight loss though very impressive.

Thanks, some good advice, ill take it all into account.

Ive been doing mostly upper body strength training. Bi's Tri's ,shoulders,chest, and some ab work. Along with running and other forms of cardio. Im going to be getting into the gym soon so Ill have more equipment to use for different forms of dead lifts, and squats and what not. Also be able to incorporate a leg day with all the various machines.

Ive been lifting with a buddy, who has the equipment, and the he has basically everything for upper body workouts, but not much to work legs. So we have just been running outside to keep our legs in shape for the time being. I plan on getting a gym membership next month.

Lifting to Avoid COVID-19 PeterGibbons316's Avatar
    PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Asjr View Post
    Now I am no pro
    That's pretty obvious - 30 sets of chest exercises?!?!? Doing too much/10.

I have no clue what my 1RM is, but on May 4th I did 3x5 with 105 lbs., and tomorrow I will do 3x5 with 230 lbs.

My "chest" routine is listed below:
    BB Bench Press: 3x5

I do that every 4-5 days.

paroot hit the nail on the head, solid advice there.
    My Journal (RIP 05/11 - 09/13):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134256491

DIY Plyo Boxes:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151765733

Hard3x9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hard3x9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hard3x9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hard3x9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hard3x9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hard3x9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hard3x9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hard3x9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hard3x9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hard3x9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hard3x9 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey, this thread is a little old, but maybe you could still use some help.
    I competed in local bench competitions in the past (not for many years now). I was like you, very very strong legs, but I don't gain strength and size in my upper body as easily. That said, I have put up 500+ lbs on bench no shirt, so I know a thing or two about gaining strenth on bench.
    Gaining strength in bench press is NOT the same as building muscle. In my experience, form and tecnique are just as important as muscle size. Muscle fiber recruitment is also just as important as size. That being said, building large pecs, tris, shoulders, and lats all help get your max up.
    Your base is the first thing to check. Make sure the bench you are on is not too high! If it is, put some large plates under both feet. the angle your thighs are at during lifting HAS to be level with the floor at the very least. And never, ever move your feet during the lift. You should feel as if your feet and neck are bolted down to the floor and bench.
    Remember when you press, the bar should touch your chest just under the nipple line, but at the top should be directly over your eyes. The bar does not go straight up, it goes up at an angle back towards the rack. Adjust your starting position so that you don't hit the rack on the way up. Because of this positioning, you might need a spotter to help pull the weight off the rack and OUT to be over your chest.
    Do not hold the weight long after it comes off the rack. The longer you hold the weight over you the more strength it drains from you.
    EXplode, EXplode, EXplode out of the bottom and DRive the weight up.
    During the press, the back of your neck should be touching the bench, but keep a huge arch in your back, almost like you are trying to press it like a decline bench. You should feel all bowed up as the weight comes off the rack. It feels strange, but will help drive the weight up.
    Work on open grip if it feels comfortable to you.
    Grip should be wide on the bar, but not TOOO wide.
    If you are someone that gets stuck at the bottom, do partials to increase strength there and work on explosive exercises for your chest.
    If you are someone that gets stuck at the top, do partials to increase strength there and work on explosive exercises for your triceps.
    If you have a spotter, work on forced reps. If your max is 250, put 275 on the bar and do a negative with it and have your spotter pull to help it up. Do sets of 3 or 4 this way, and be careful. This is an excellent way to increase your max. It feels as if you get your body accustomed to having all that weight above you. No single training technique ever made as much of a difference in my max as doing forced reps.

If you want to use supplements, use creatine monohydrate. No doubt at all it will increase your strength. Along with extra protein that is all I would use.
    Hope this helps.
    The next big thing..... ??? Try commitment.

CamLeslie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CamLeslie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CamLeslie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CamLeslie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CamLeslie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CamLeslie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CamLeslie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CamLeslie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CamLeslie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CamLeslie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CamLeslie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Not to beat a dead horse but do you ever deload?

Edit: Didn't see how old this was till after post.
    First, Revolution
    Then, Resolution
    Finally, Evolution

SQ [450x1] BP [285x1] DL [500x1] all @ 230 Raw, Drug Free