tank2049 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Need advice on weight loss, hit a wall

New here, but been lurking the forum for a Minute. Not sure If i posted in the right section

Male
    height: 6'4
    Weight:312 (was 350 so happy about the progress)
    BF: 30%
    work out 6 times a week
    In it for the long haul
    Goal: 220-240lbs (doctor tells me 180 but i find that way to skinny for me since I'm naturally big looking, personal preference i guess)

So here is my problem I hit a wall, where losing weight has slow down drastically i been stuck at 312 for about month now.
    My eating habits
    break fest:2 eggs and toast an whatever fruit I have around Or bowl of cereal with
    soy milk (lactose intolerance here)
    Lunch: salad some days whole wheat sandwich other days, it varies
    Dinner: whatever that has been cook that day

In between meals I snack on one cup of yogurt and some nuts,
    I take Oxy-elite pro, 2 in the morning before break fest then 1 more four hours later usually after getting back from the gym.
    Thinking about stacking it with something but don't know yet

So looking for some advice on how to get pass this wall.. i looked at some of these routines on here that involves squats, dead lift etc. I have a bum shoulder that never heal right when i dislocated it, so it can pop out of its socket when ever it feels like it, strange i know I also have bad knees, runs in the family, kinda hesitant to do some of these routines cause I don't want to half ass it.
    I do cardio at least 3 times out the week Mon/Wed/Fri Mix with Abs and legs work out, that doesn't kill me knees. Tues/Thurs/Sun, all upper body work out. I can feel this muscle forming and what not just covered up into much fat :P

Oh Im not getting discourage by no means, knew this was going to happen sooner or later
    I just enjoy going to the gym so it keeps me motivated.

sylntsniper is on a distinguished road. (+10) sylntsniper is on a distinguished road. (+10) sylntsniper is on a distinguished road. (+10) sylntsniper is on a distinguished road. (+10) sylntsniper is on a distinguished road. (+10) sylntsniper is on a distinguished road. (+10) sylntsniper is on a distinguished road. (+10) sylntsniper is on a distinguished road. (+10) sylntsniper is on a distinguished road. (+10) sylntsniper is on a distinguished road. (+10) sylntsniper is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    What are your total calories and macros? If you're eating at a deficit, you've got enough to lose that I wouldn't expect plateaus to be a problem. You can also afford to cut pretty aggressively. Keep lifting, but get a sense of what's going into your body (read nutrition info, look up approximates online if need be, etc.) and post that so we can see if that's the problem (most likely it is).

Calories in take 3,744- 4,368 per day hmmm seems kinda high

Macro nutrients

Protein: 327-382 grams per day
    Carbs: 421-491 grams per day
    Fats: 83-97 grams per day

well that what i got from the calculator from here
    Last edited by tank2049; 07-26-2011 at 08:35 AM. Reason: more accurate info i guess

I also have some Whey protein (muscle milk)...kinda hesitant to use it tho, hmmm guess ill have to figure out something

Jorge18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jorge18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jorge18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jorge18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jorge18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jorge18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jorge18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jorge18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jorge18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jorge18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jorge18 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by tank2049 View Post
    New here, but been lurking the forum for a Minute. Not sure If i posted in the right section

Male
    height: 6'4
    Weight:312 (was 350 so happy about the progress)
    BF: 30%
    work out 6 times a week
    In it for the long haul
    Goal: 220-240lbs (doctor tells me 180 but i find that way to skinny for me since I'm naturally big looking, personal preference i guess)

So here is my problem I hit a wall, where losing weight has slow down drastically i been stuck at 312 for about month now.
    My eating habits
    break fest:2 eggs and toast an whatever fruit I have around Or bowl of cereal with
    soy milk (lactose intolerance here)
    Lunch: salad some days whole wheat sandwich other days, it varies
    Dinner: whatever that has been cook that day

In between meals I snack on one cup of yogurt and some nuts,
    I take Oxy-elite pro, 2 in the morning before break fest then 1 more four hours later usually after getting back from the gym.
    Thinking about stacking it with something but don't know yet

So looking for some advice on how to get pass this wall.. i looked at some of these routines on here that involves squats, dead lift etc. I have a bum shoulder that never heal right when i dislocated it, so it can pop out of its socket when ever it feels like it, strange i know I also have bad knees, runs in the family, kinda hesitant to do some of these routines cause I don't want to half ass it.
    I do cardio at least 3 times out the week Mon/Wed/Fri Mix with Abs and legs work out, that doesn't kill me knees. Tues/Thurs/Sun, all upper body work out. I can feel this muscle forming and what not just covered up into much fat :P

Oh Im not getting discourage by no means, knew this was going to happen sooner or later
    I just enjoy going to the gym so it keeps me motivated.
    What's your usual dinner like?

jinda628 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jinda628 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jinda628 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jinda628 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jinda628 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jinda628 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jinda628 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jinda628 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jinda628 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jinda628 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jinda628 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Calories i should be consuming is 2,971 and as for macro first time hearing about it but i know im not consuming 2,971, just off what i eat i get around 1401 calories..when adding up the food that i eat. i have some Milk muscle whey protein that i have been putting off to use cause i figure it would be over kill

So guess ill figure out my macro later on in the day
    From your weight, your maintenance (assuming sedentary) should be about 4490 cals. I am not sure how much is the maximum deficit a person can manage but intake of 1401 cals a day for a 312 lb guy seems to be very low.

Macros are the Protein, Carb, Fat breakdown of your daily calorie intake. How did you come up with the 2971 requirement?

If you haven't look at the stickies above, I suggest you start from there. You can easily get from there what you need to know to start off.

Edit: Just read post#3.

Calories in take 3,744- 4,368 per day hmmm seems kinda high

Macro nutrients

Protein: 327-382 grams per day
    Carbs: 421-491 grams per day
    Fats: 83-97 grams per day

well that what i got from the calculator from here
    Intake is not really high for your weight, I guess that should be your maintenance. You can decide on your deficit now from 500 to 1000 calories or I guess you can afford more.

You can balance your macro basing from ~1.0 g. per lb of lean body mass for your protein, ~0.5 g per lb for your fats and the rest can be for carbs.

Goodluck.
    Last edited by jinda628; 07-26-2011 at 08:50 AM.
    Steam - jinda28
    Origin - jinda628
    XBLive - jinda628
    Btag - blood#1648 / blood#1816

Originally Posted by Jorge18 View Post
    What's your usual dinner like?

Dinners mostly consist of, not in one sitting of course BBQ chicken with salad, Fish,corn, Green beans, Pasta, Red meat. But i would say 85% of the time its chicken and salad

Edit:
    Thx jinda, yea first time calculate was at late night doing some google search ..but anyways now i just gotta find enough food items to to equal that much or close to it

jinda628 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jinda628 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jinda628 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jinda628 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jinda628 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jinda628 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jinda628 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jinda628 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jinda628 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jinda628 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jinda628 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Dinners mostly consist of, not in one sitting of course BBQ chicken with salad, Fish,corn, Green beans, Pasta, Red meat. But i would say 85% of the time its chicken and salad

Edit:
    Thx jinda, yea first time calculate was at late night doing some google search ..but anyways now i just gotta find enough food items to to equal that much or close to it
    I think you can do a 1000 cal or more deficit. You can test it out and adjust to 500 if you think its so hard.
    Steam - jinda28
    Origin - jinda628
    XBLive - jinda628
    Btag - blood#1648 / blood#1816

sshin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sshin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sshin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sshin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sshin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sshin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sshin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sshin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sshin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sshin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sshin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you're hitting a wall, that means your body has adapted to the calories. So, if I was in your shoes, I would increase the deficit. Be wary that if you start to lose too much fast in a short period of time, you will get some hanging skin. Obviously, some people don't and others do.

If you like cardio to improve you heart and reduce more calories, do some fast walking. I hear it's pretty good for fat loss. I personally don't like walking on a treadmill. It's pretty useless since you can do it outside.

That's about it from me. Also, lift heavy as usual to retain muscle mass and hit your macros. Be patient with weight loss.

Hope this helps.
    6 Rules of Life by Arnold:
    1. Trust yourself
    2. Break some rules
    3. Don't be afraid to lose
    4. Don't listen to nay sayers
    5. Work your butt off
    6. Give back

I'm VitaminVendetta PerpetualMotion's Avatar
    PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I don't know how anyone else didn't notice this but that amount of food is extremely small for a gentleman of his size. My 130lbs girlfriend eats more than he does. If I guesstimated the calories, it would come out to something well below 2000. Two eggs, two pieces of toast, fruit, a salad (or sandwich), and chicken and salad is hardly anything in terms of calories unless they're all drenched with excessive amounts of oils.

Originally Posted by sshin
    you're hitting a wall, that means your body has adapted to the calories. So, if I was in your shoes, I would increase the deficit.
    If he's already too low then decreasing more might not help. In the nutrition forum, a guy kept decreasing but couldn't lose weight until he purchased a bodybugg. He increased calories by 1500 (from 1500 to 3000) and he started losing around 1-2lbs a week. People typically start calories out much too low. From what I'm looking at, he's already at an enormous deficit. Just because an enormous deficit exists does not mean that there will be weight loss. You can read about this if you do a search in the old bodybugg thread in the nutrition forum as some people were wondering why weight loss stalls if calories are too low.
    “Go back?" he thought. "No good at all! Go sideways? Impossible! Go forward? Only thing to do! On we go!" So up he got, and trotted along with his little sword held in front of him and one hand feeling the wall, and his heart all of a patter and a pitter.”

Talking

Originally Posted by PerpetualMotion View Post
    I don't know how anyone else didn't notice this but that amount of food is extremely small for a gentleman of his size. My 130lbs girlfriend eats more than he does. If I guesstimated the calories, it would come out to something well below 2000. Two eggs, two pieces of toast, fruit, a salad (or sandwich), and chicken and salad is hardly anything in terms of calories unless they're all drenched with excessive amounts of oils.

If he's already too low then decreasing more might not help. In the nutrition forum, a guy kept decreasing but couldn't lose weight until he purchased a bodybugg. He increased calories by 1500 (from 1500 to 3000) and he started losing around 1-2lbs a week. People typically start calories out much too low. From what I'm looking at, he's already at an enormous deficit. Just because an enormous deficit exists does not mean that there will be weight loss. You can read about this if you do a search in the old bodybugg thread in the nutrition forum as some people were wondering why weight loss stalls if calories are too low.

You are completely right about well under the 2000 calories..i dunno i just get full to quickly special for the size i am..but thx for all the advice,Ill just keep working on it and keep searching

I'm VitaminVendetta PerpetualMotion's Avatar
    PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You are completely right about well under the 2000 calories..i dunno i just get full to quickly special for the size i am..but thx for all the advice,Ill just keep working on it and keep searching
    Just count for a week or two. Some people say you will need to count forever but you'll eventually be able to do it all in your head. Just don't let it become an obsession but you should start counting for a bit and see where you're actually at. Being too low, too fast is detrimental.
    “Go back?" he thought. "No good at all! Go sideways? Impossible! Go forward? Only thing to do! On we go!" So up he got, and trotted along with his little sword held in front of him and one hand feeling the wall, and his heart all of a patter and a pitter.”