Mcrippletoadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mcrippletoadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mcrippletoadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mcrippletoadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mcrippletoadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mcrippletoadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mcrippletoadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mcrippletoadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mcrippletoadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mcrippletoadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mcrippletoadz will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Disproportional size and strength: Upper and Lower body

I know at average, your squat supposed to be higher than your bench press. My case is my upper body lifts are a bit lower compare to lower body lifts ratio. Stats as follows.

Squat 350 x1
    Dead lift 405 x1
    Bench 215x1
    OH Press 125x1

and also my upper body is noticeably smaller compare to my legs and lower back. Delts and chest are lagging behind. Arms not that bad. By the way I don't lift to look good but definitely not lifting to look stupid. I did SS as my first program and now I'm on madcow. I added extra assistance for my chest and shoulders like Flat db press and sitting DB press @ 2x8. I need some input and maybe a better way to tackle this. Thanks.
    Added picture
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Mcrippletoadz; 07-24-2011 at 01:04 AM.

KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    See what you mean OP, you can still tell that you lift obv... but maybe you just naturally have big legs???

Kind of like myself, always had very big legs, when i was a skinny teen it was more noticeable because I had no mass at all on my upper body, however, i always had broad shoulders..

Anyways, it took me a good three years for my upper body to "fill out" but my legs are still very strong compared to upper body, my bench and press suck compared to squat and deadlift. Having said that my rows are pretty good, but legs are still stronger and bigger. Your lifts seem fine, nice Dl by the way Just keep lifting and working hard, it'll sort itself out...
    ***Irish Misc Crew***

"It is ok to fail, it is not ok to give up" - Ghandi

"Doesn't mean that much to me, to mean that much to you" - Neil Young

"Cíunas bothár cailín baínne" - Patrick Kavanagh

Mcrippletoadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mcrippletoadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mcrippletoadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mcrippletoadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mcrippletoadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mcrippletoadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mcrippletoadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mcrippletoadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mcrippletoadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mcrippletoadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mcrippletoadz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by KeeronMac View Post
    See what you mean OP, you can still tell that you lift obv... but maybe you just naturally have big legs???

Kind of like myself, always had very big legs, when i was a skinny teen it was more noticeable because I had no mass at all on my upper body, however, i always had broad shoulders..

Anyways, it took me a good three years for my upper body to "fill out" but my legs are still very strong compared to upper body, my bench and press suck compared to squat and deadlift. Having said that my rows are pretty good, but legs are still stronger and bigger. Your lifts seem fine, nice Dl by the way Just keep lifting and working hard, it'll sort itself out...
    it just ticks me off that i cant even bench 2 plates and press 1 plate even though im pulling 4 plates. my rows are fine i think considering i just got the technique down. i hope you're right that this will even out eventually. thanks man

GODFORBlD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Mcrippletoadz View Post
    it just ticks me off that i cant even bench 2 plates and press 1 plate even though im pulling 4 plates. my rows are fine i think considering i just got the technique down. i hope you're right that this will even out eventually. thanks man
    Maybe as has been said you're just genetically stronger with your lower body. I have a similar problem with my right side always growing bigger than my left. It think some of it has to do with a mind-muscle connection.

Focus harder on squeezing the body part you're training, as I seem to do that more naturally with my right side than my left, and fixing that has started to help me.

You could train with the same weights on your lower body for a while so as not to lose size but slow the gains, and just really concentrate on gradually upping the weight with your upper body routines.

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I know at average, your squat supposed to be higher than your bench press. My case is my upper body lifts are a bit lower compare to lower body lifts ratio. Stats as follows.

Squat 350 x1
    Dead lift 405 x1
    Bench 215x1
    OH Press 125x1

and also my upper body is noticeably smaller compare to my legs and lower back. Delts and chest are lagging behind. Arms not that bad. By the way I don't lift to look good but definitely not lifting to look stupid. I did SS as my first program and now I'm on madcow. I added extra assistance for my chest and shoulders like Flat db press and sitting DB press @ 2x8. I need some input and maybe a better way to tackle this. Thanks.
    Added picture
    I have the same problem, strength wise.

But my upper body is big because:

I would consider 2 x 8 to be getting warmed up for assistance work. I can only manage one plate for reps in the overhead press, due to shoulder issues. My max at the moment is stuck at 155 standing clean and press

But when I do assistance work for shoulders, I do 5 x 10 for seated press, 3 x 20 for laterals, bent for'd laterals, front raises, L-fly.

Curls would be 5 x 10, tri pushdowns 5 x 10.

One arm dumbell rows would be 5 x 10 ramping up to 130lbs.

If I need more volume, I would add maybe ten sets of lat pulldowns.

My pulling power is way ahead of my pushing power, until I get my shoulders completely rehabbed.....hence the volume for shoulders in the little exercises after the presses.

If you don't give much attention to arms and shoulders, you can't expect them to miraculously get swole.

SS is great, but of course isn't a balanced program for bodybuilding purposes. It purposely neglects the smaller muscle groups in your upper body to save most of your energy for your big lifts. Continuing the trend with a program that only uses 2 x 8 as an afterthought in a couple of exercises isn't going to get you big arms.

I do plenty of volume for grip work and wrist work as well, not to mention neck and calves. My forearms are bigger than my neck and arms used to be in my forties when I was weak and unwell.
    Beginners:

FIERCE 5:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

Beyond novice, 5 3 1 or see above:)

Unless it is obvious to anyone who isn't blind that you lift weights, you might still benefit from a little more attention to big basic barbell exercises for enough reps:).

Originally Posted by GODFORBlD View Post
    Maybe as has been said you're just genetically stronger with your lower body. I have a similar problem with my right side always growing bigger than my left. It think some of it has to do with a mind-muscle connection.

Focus harder on squeezing the body part you're training, as I seem to do that more naturally with my right side than my left, and fixing that has started to help me.

You could train with the same weights on your lower body for a while so as not to lose size but slow the gains, and just really concentrate on gradually upping the weight with your upper body routines.
    same weight. hmm that sounds reasonable. would also act as a deload too. im three weeks away from finishing madcow and I will use this template.

Originally Posted by jgreystoke View Post
    I have the same problem, strength wise.

But my upper body is big because:

I would consider 2 x 8 to be getting warmed up for assistance work. I can only manage one plate for reps in the overhead press, due to shoulder issues. My max at the moment is stuck at 155 standing clean and press

But when I do assistance work for shoulders, I do 5 x 10 for seated press, 3 x 20 for laterals, bent for'd laterals, front raises, L-fly.

Curls would be 5 x 10, tri pushdowns 5 x 10.

One arm dumbell rows would be 5 x 10 ramping up to 130lbs.

If I need more volume, I would add maybe ten sets of lat pulldowns.

My pulling power is way ahead of my pushing power, until I get my shoulders completely rehabbed.....hence the volume for shoulders in the little exercises after the presses.

If you don't give much attention to arms and shoulders, you can't expect them to miraculously get swole.

SS is great, but of course isn't a balanced program for bodybuilding purposes. It purposely neglects the smaller muscle groups in your upper body to save most of your energy for your big lifts. Continuing the trend with a program that only uses 2 x 8 as an afterthought in a couple of exercises isn't going to get you big arms.

I do plenty of volume for grip work and wrist work as well, not to mention neck and calves. My forearms are bigger than my neck and arms used to be in my forties when I was weak and unwell.
    Yeah I got fooled by "Stronger legs and the rest will follow". Size really is not my problem. As long as they're strong I don't care how small they are but of course strength comes size. I have no problem with my arms. I recently did bicep curls and im curling 90 lbs. From 45 lbs when I was messing around with my friend. Tris are not that bad too. I can do dips with two plates for 6 reps 3 sets. I could OH press 155 lbs with leg drive but cant push a plate. I struggle at the bottom where shoulders are really involve in the movement. On bench press I'm always good on triples but not on 5s. Somehow on the 4th rep I can feel it on my delts. So you're saying that 2x8 for assistance on this muscle group won't cut it? If I want strength shouldn't I focus on heavy and not volume though? 2x8 on assistance still considered heavy right?

kelly.brandt is on a distinguished road. (+10) kelly.brandt is on a distinguished road. (+10) kelly.brandt is on a distinguished road. (+10) kelly.brandt is on a distinguished road. (+10) kelly.brandt is on a distinguished road. (+10) kelly.brandt is on a distinguished road. (+10) kelly.brandt is on a distinguished road. (+10) kelly.brandt is on a distinguished road. (+10) kelly.brandt is on a distinguished road. (+10) kelly.brandt is on a distinguished road. (+10) kelly.brandt is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It is possible that your legs are your "Freak Muscle." Almost everyone has one muscle group that grows very easily. I can just "look" at weights and my chest grows! I wouldn't pull back training on your legs. Because they are your biggest muscle group, your body releases more testosterone when you train them. The whole body benefits from this. You will limit your upper body gains if you pull back training on the lower body. If you lift naturally they will not get insanely big...the upper body will fill out. You are still young, give your body time to grow. Also, IMO sets of 2x8 are perfect. Almost my whole routine is based around 2 heavy sets of 8 reps. I have made huge gains on this program!

Originally Posted by kelly.brandt View Post
    It is possible that your legs are your "Freak Muscle." Almost everyone has one muscle group that grows very easily. I can just "look" at weights and my chest grows! I wouldn't pull back training on your legs. Because they are your biggest muscle group, your body releases more testosterone when you train them. The whole body benefits from this. You will limit your upper body gains if you pull back training on the lower body. If you lift naturally they will not get insanely big...the upper body will fill out. You are still young, give your body time to grow. Also, IMO sets of 2x8 are perfect. Almost my whole routine is based around 2 heavy sets of 8 reps. I have made huge gains on this program!
    Are you still doing madcow 5x5 until now? What kind of assistance would you suggest for my shoulders and chest? I wanna strengthen them so I my bench and OH press will go up. Or the one I listed above are good enough? I never really tried more volume and always stuck how the routine is made scared of that overtraining bs. I think its just something my body will get used to over time.

kelly.brandt is on a distinguished road. (+10) kelly.brandt is on a distinguished road. (+10) kelly.brandt is on a distinguished road. (+10) kelly.brandt is on a distinguished road. (+10) kelly.brandt is on a distinguished road. (+10) kelly.brandt is on a distinguished road. (+10) kelly.brandt is on a distinguished road. (+10) kelly.brandt is on a distinguished road. (+10) kelly.brandt is on a distinguished road. (+10) kelly.brandt is on a distinguished road. (+10) kelly.brandt is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Are you still doing madcow 5x5 until now? What kind of assistance would you suggest for my shoulders and chest? I wanna strengthen them so I my bench and OH press will go up. Or the one I listed above are good enough? I never really tried more volume and always stuck how the routine is made scared of that overtraining bs. I think its just something my body will get used to over time.
    The 5x5 workout would be too many sets for me, my muscles just don't need that much stimulation. I have developed my own routines based on what MY body responded best to. Everyone is different, you have to keep trying different routines until you find one that your body responds to. Then work it until the gains stop. After the gains stop, then change something.

As far as making your chest and shoulders stronger...wide grip bench press will build your chest. Pyramid the weight. Also, dumbbell shoulder press and side laterals are great shoulder builders. Work them twice a week with a moderate amount of rest between workout days.

calfredme has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey, good for you buddy.

Just keep training those legs as usual and pump up the upper body.

Man, if you're so conscious about your appearance, why did you do strength training?

Just get into one of those high reps sets program.

Calfred
    Day 1 - Day 60 "Transformation" For You To See

http://www.calfred.me/2011/07/22/judgement-day-has-arrived-day-60/