951753852 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Layne Norton's Power/Hypertrophy is doing nothing

I tried this program that was posted somewhere on this forum, not too good, at least for me.

I've tried this program for about 5 weeks, despite other people on this site tried talking me into doing something like SS, even though I've been lifting well over two years. Anyways, I've tried doing this program, catering to every set and exercise, trying to make it as intense as possible. At the end of the workout, it barely feels like my muscles have been worked and I can do the whole day's workout over again. I haven't made much progress with this, either.

So uhm, what do I do?

NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You've been lifting for well over 2 years and you're 140 pounds? No workout is going to do what you want it to do if you're not going to eat, dude.
    ★★★USF MISC CREW★★★
    **MISC Strength Crew**

"If thou wilt make a man happy, add not unto his riches but take away from his desires." - Epicurus

PRs
    500/405/615

Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159250211

Zkskee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zkskee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zkskee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zkskee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zkskee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zkskee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zkskee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zkskee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zkskee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zkskee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zkskee will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by NewbieX2 View Post
    You've been lifting for well over 2 years and you're 140 pounds? No workout is going to do what you want it to do if you're not going to eat, dude.
    There I was thinking it and you had to come along and say it.
    Eat!

Well I'm only 15, so that means I was 13 when I started. I was probably around 110-120 when I started, and that 20-30 pounds definitely wasn't from height since I barely grew, at all, since then. And It was kind of an off/on thing for the first 6-12 months, I've been taking it more seriously since then. Main point: I'm way past my noob gains.

NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by 951753852 View Post
    Well I'm only 15, so that means I was 13 when I started. I was probably around 110-120 when I started, and that 20-30 pounds definitely wasn't from height since I barely grew, at all, since then. And It was kind of an off/on thing for the first 6-12 months, I've been taking it more seriously since then. Main point: I'm way past my noob gains.
    I'm not so sure about that. What are your lifts at? I'm not too well versed in the matters of CNS training and whatnot, but you might have some noob gains left in you.
    ★★★USF MISC CREW★★★
    **MISC Strength Crew**

"If thou wilt make a man happy, add not unto his riches but take away from his desires." - Epicurus

PRs
    500/405/615

Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159250211

I'm not so sure about that. What are your lifts at? I'm not too well versed in the matters of CNS training and whatnot, but you might have some noob gains left in you.
    for 1rpm Bench escalated from 90 when I first started: ~180(at one point it was 205,then I had to stop lifting,same body weight), squat:~225, deadlift: ~280-300

Those are approximate, I haven't maxed in a very long time

YANGSHIM is a name known to all. (+5000) YANGSHIM is a name known to all. (+5000) YANGSHIM is a name known to all. (+5000) YANGSHIM is a name known to all. (+5000) YANGSHIM is a name known to all. (+5000) YANGSHIM is a name known to all. (+5000) YANGSHIM is a name known to all. (+5000) YANGSHIM is a name known to all. (+5000) YANGSHIM is a name known to all. (+5000) YANGSHIM is a name known to all. (+5000) YANGSHIM is a name known to all. (+5000)
    eat more and sleep more

Originally Posted by YANGSHIM View Post
    eat more and sleep more
    I get enough sleep, I guarantee that. I suppose I can eat more but that still doesn't explain why I don't feel affected at the end of my workouts.

Zkskee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zkskee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zkskee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zkskee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zkskee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zkskee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zkskee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zkskee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zkskee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zkskee will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zkskee will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I get enough sleep, I guarantee that. I suppose I can eat more but that still doesn't explain why I don't feel affected at the end of my workouts.
    You don't necessarily need to feel sore as phuck after a workout for it to be effective.
    If you really feel like its not working that well or you have more energy left in the tank try occaisionally implementing strategies like dropsets and supersets into your routine.

Citric will become famous soon enough. (+50) Citric will become famous soon enough. (+50) Citric will become famous soon enough. (+50) Citric will become famous soon enough. (+50) Citric will become famous soon enough. (+50) Citric will become famous soon enough. (+50) Citric will become famous soon enough. (+50) Citric will become famous soon enough. (+50) Citric will become famous soon enough. (+50) Citric will become famous soon enough. (+50) Citric will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you're not exhausted by the end of the workout..you're doing it wrong.

I'm on Layne's as well and I'm tired as phuck after every one of his days. Are you sure you're lifting heavy enough for your sets?

The routine is going pretty well for me. Added some pounds and my lifts went up pretty quickly.
    Just got back into lifting after a 5 month plateau due to soccer commitments. :D

Originally Posted by Citric View Post
    Are you sure you're lifting heavy enough for your sets?
    Yeah, definitely.
    . Bent over rows 3x3-5
    . Weighted pull ups 2x6-10
    . Rack chin ups 2x6-10
    . Flat dumbbell press 3x3-5
    . Weighted dips 2x6-10
    . Seated dumbbell shoulder press 3x6-10
    . Cambered bar curls 3x6-10
    . Skull crushers 3x6-10

This, to me, shouldn't be a whole workout for a day. Not enough of exercises or sets. I'm definitely using enough weight. I'm used to doing sets among sets of exercises, exercise after exercise, THEN I would feel sore and tired, but ever since I started going to this fancy-shmancy gym with my brother and started doing these types of programs, that good old tired feeling never came to me.

I'm not saying that this program isn't good, I just don't think it's the one for me. Anyone show me a program that will get me at least tired?

Yeah, definitely.
    . Bent over rows 3x3-5
    . Weighted pull ups 2x6-10
    . Rack chin ups 2x6-10
    . Flat dumbbell press 3x3-5
    . Weighted dips 2x6-10
    . Seated dumbbell shoulder press 3x6-10
    . Cambered bar curls 3x6-10
    . Skull crushers 3x6-10

This, to me, shouldn't be a whole workout for a day. Not enough of exercises or sets. I'm definitely using enough weight. I'm used to doing sets among sets of exercises, exercise after exercise, THEN I would feel sore and tired, but ever since I started going to this fancy-shmancy gym with my brother and started doing these types of programs, that good old tired feeling never came to me.

I'm not saying that this program isn't good, I just don't think it's the one for me. Anyone show me a program that will get me at least tired?
    I think the fact that the reps are lower than traditional sets means you naturally will be spending less time working out. To me that looks pretty effective however it does lack the specification of splits. I know for a fact if you were to start doing splits for each (or two) body parts such as chest/tris, back/bis, shoulders/abs, legs you would come off feeling alot more 'tired' because you're concentrating all your energy onto the same/similar muscles through a variety of exercises.

For example instead of merely working once in the day on your triceps with skullcrushers (and also inadvertantly through chest exercises) you would be doing several exercises such as pushdowns, skullcrushers, close grip bench, dips and etc.

Long story short; as I said before try and implement dropsets and supersets and if that fails then may as well try some different routines.

MichaelBb6 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MichaelBb6 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MichaelBb6 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MichaelBb6 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MichaelBb6 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MichaelBb6 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MichaelBb6 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MichaelBb6 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MichaelBb6 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MichaelBb6 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MichaelBb6 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Not making progress = not eating enough, you dun goofed.

Okay, I'll take your advice.

Registered User smooth9criminal1's Avatar
    smooth9criminal1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smooth9criminal1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smooth9criminal1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smooth9criminal1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smooth9criminal1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smooth9criminal1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smooth9criminal1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smooth9criminal1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smooth9criminal1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smooth9criminal1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smooth9criminal1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Dude trust me on this... eat big, lift hard and smart and you will grow

my biggest mistake when I first started was not eating big enough and I wondered why some workout plan wasn't working. There are a lot of workout plans that work. It's all about how you feed those muscles for the 23 hours outside of the gym
    practice?

alannigz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alannigz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alannigz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alannigz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alannigz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alannigz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alannigz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alannigz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alannigz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alannigz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alannigz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Personally I dont respond well to dual factor training (strength + hypertrophy). Now I just pick a weight that I can do atleast 6 reps with, and do 3 sets on the same weight. Once I get 10 reps or more using that weight on the first set, I would increase the weight by the smallest increment possible and do the same thing.

And I dont think you should feel completely wiped out after a workout, its called "stimulate not annihilate" (from twinmuscleworkout on youtube).

waxor will become famous soon enough. (+50) waxor will become famous soon enough. (+50) waxor will become famous soon enough. (+50) waxor will become famous soon enough. (+50) waxor will become famous soon enough. (+50) waxor will become famous soon enough. (+50) waxor will become famous soon enough. (+50) waxor will become famous soon enough. (+50) waxor will become famous soon enough. (+50) waxor will become famous soon enough. (+50) waxor will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What weight are you supposed to lift on the Hypertrophy days compared to that of the Power days?

On your hypertrophy days you should do some speed work (6-8 sets of 3 reps) with 65-70% of your 3-5 rep max to start your workout with the power exercise you used earlier in the week
    Is that for every exercise or just for the first one.. as he then says this

After you finish with your speed work for the day you should train basically like you normally would for a bodybuilder. Your rep range should be 8-20 and keep your rest periods to 1-2 minutes between sets.
    So first exercise (squat for instance) is a speed set then the rest are normal ones as on your power days?