Essentially, I'm just saying "Thank You" to everyone on this forum who gives sound, logical advice that has helped me with my fat loss so far. My brother and I are both trying to lose fat and the topic came up this weekend with all my aunts, uncles, and cousins at the house. They all had their special fat burning secrets:
1. Never eat after 7p.m., because it turns to fat.
2. Run at least 2 miles-a-day, because cardio is the best way to lose fat.
3. If you eat healthy food, it doesn't matter how much you eat. Even the leanest beef has too much fat - so I rarely eat any.
...this is when my other Aunt started:
1. Ray is right about eating "the right food". If all you eat are fruits, vegetables, and chicken it doesn't matter how much you have.
2. Stay away from Trans Fats. They make you fatter than normal fat (WTF?)
3. If you eat poorly 1 day, just get back on diet the next day. (Good advice, right?...She continued) One time, I ate half a large pizza on a bad day. So the next day, all I had were 2 small salads. (IFers might agree - but I'm pretty sure she should have just gone back to maintenence or a moderate deficit the following day)
...Another one of my Aunt's jumped in:
1. Don't eat any dairy. Even skim milk is about 10% fat - they just don't tell you (conspiracy theorist, apparently).
2. If you go for a run, be sure to eat 2 apples after - because you need the vitamins (that's what she said - I kid you not)
3. Eat a lot of fiber. When I was dieting, I would take 8 servings of Metamucil a day.
I finally started explaining my "diet". Keeping a calorie deficit, weighing foods, counting Fat, Carbs, and Protein. They all thought I was the crazy one.
"You mean... you weigh everything you eat, like meat or veggies and everything. Even ranch dressing" ....Ummm, yeah - I would weigh my ranch dressing, because its has more calories than the rest of the salad...
"You take protein shakes? Don't you know that protein has too much fat in it"... What? Even if she meant "protein shakes have too much fat", thats still not true.
Anyway. Using the Family Diet, I would:
1. Eat minimum 2 apples, 40g of Fiber supplements, and only vegetables, fruits, and chicken.
2. Not consume any red meat, Trans Fats, dairy, or anything after 7pm
3. Run everyday and never lift weights
Thanks to you, I:
1. Weigh my food, eat at a Calorie deficit and count my Fat, Carbs, Protein.
2. Eat anything I want within the general limitations of #1 and within my personal preference of healthiness / satiety.
3. Lift weights 3-5 days/week.
4. Do cardio if/when I want to, in order to increase my Calorie deficit.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who has gotten terrible, even counter-productive, fat loss advice. What other gems have your freinds and family told you?