tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Bodybuilding and kids

EliteFTS posted a link to a Today show story/video regarding bodybuilding and pre-teens/young teens. Pretty interesting...even though they confuse strength training and bodybuilding and the kid's form on the vid is not good, it raises some interesting questions.
    I began lifting at 14 and my oldest kid began at 13, and my youngest works with a kettlebell at 11...so I obviously am okay with kids working out to a degree.
    Anyway, here's the story, I found it interesting because it does deal directly with 'bodybuilding.'
    http://tinyurl.com/3s7fl96
    Hebrews 12: 1,2
    https://peacewithgod.net

Basic Nutrition: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183

ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    OP, I agree with you. The Today show is not a place I would look to for bbing or nutrition advice. It was a bland uninformed opinion piece. But the kid did look good and hopefully he will continue in bbing. Kudos to the parents for their encouragement.

crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I can see the writing on the wall with this story.

used to be that steve reeves was the man and everyone wanted to look like him.

Now, if you cant grate cheese on your abs then you arent getting any play.

Kids are an untapped market for people to exploit and pieces like this are just a trial balloon to see how well its recieved. if people run with it then we will see biggest losers for kids, getting ripped for ore teens shows, you name it.

In a couple years if your 10 year old gets invited to a pool party, he better be ripped and tan or it will be humiliated.

I think its fine for kids to lift with moderation but the media needs to leave them alone and let them have fun.
    "To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other."-- Carlos Castaneda

tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    did not read the article but this was my gym last night

hypnocrip is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hypnocrip is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hypnocrip is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hypnocrip is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hypnocrip is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hypnocrip is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hypnocrip is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hypnocrip is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hypnocrip is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hypnocrip is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hypnocrip is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Right now my 14yo (began at 12yo) and 11yo train with me for football/wrestling. They are really into it and it's great motivation to see their genuine enthusiam. We make sure they know the difference between their new found confidence and arrogance. It's not hard to imagine how the media could help warp kids sensibilities about bodybuilding/training. Just look at Teen Mom.
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Everyone has a plan til they get punched in the mouth. - Mike Tyson

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." - Mark Twain

hypnocrip is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hypnocrip is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hypnocrip is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hypnocrip is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hypnocrip is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hypnocrip is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hypnocrip is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hypnocrip is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hypnocrip is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hypnocrip is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hypnocrip is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by tmonkey View Post

Way to lay the basics down (trap bar)
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." - Mark Twain

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    So you're saying Jake's right on schedule?

This is one of those times my proud father ego wishes that I could post pics.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Inthegrass is just really nice. (+1000) Inthegrass is just really nice. (+1000) Inthegrass is just really nice. (+1000) Inthegrass is just really nice. (+1000) Inthegrass is just really nice. (+1000) Inthegrass is just really nice. (+1000) Inthegrass is just really nice. (+1000) Inthegrass is just really nice. (+1000) Inthegrass is just really nice. (+1000) Inthegrass is just really nice. (+1000) Inthegrass is just really nice. (+1000)
    I would worry that too intense a training with heavy weights could be dangerous to growth plate development in young kids whose bodies are in a state of rapid growth and development.
    What do others think about that here?

Where do we go now....... erikjh's Avatar
    erikjh is just really nice. (+1000) erikjh is just really nice. (+1000) erikjh is just really nice. (+1000) erikjh is just really nice. (+1000) erikjh is just really nice. (+1000) erikjh is just really nice. (+1000) erikjh is just really nice. (+1000) erikjh is just really nice. (+1000) erikjh is just really nice. (+1000) erikjh is just really nice. (+1000) erikjh is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Inthegrass View Post
    I would worry that too intense a training with heavy weights could be dangerous to growth plate development in young kids whose bodies are in a state of rapid growth and development.
    What do others think about that here?
    there is still so much about the human body we dont know, so who really knows.

i was just reading about shoulder injuries in baseball players(little leauge and up) and now they are saying things totally different when it comes to rehabing and what piches they should be throwing. so who knows.

You can find research that supports both sides. I was told to start them with compound movements and gradually as they grew integrate in more isolated exercises. It is working for my crew, but to each his own.
    Hunter S. Thompson

paqua17 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paqua17 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paqua17 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paqua17 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paqua17 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paqua17 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paqua17 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paqua17 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paqua17 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paqua17 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paqua17 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Damn you're son is stronger than me

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Kid needs to straighten his back, get his hips down.....

j/k Love seeing kid's lift. I was thrilled when I learned all that stunt your growth stuff was crap.
    B: 285
    S: 375
    D: 555

cmbg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmbg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmbg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmbg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmbg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmbg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmbg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmbg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmbg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmbg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmbg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    My 15 year old son has been lifting for a while for football and has a physical conditioning class in his high school (where they lift and run). He's decided football really isn't his thing.

Now he is considering powerlifting

Link to old journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141450461&page=5

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by cmbg View Post
    My 15 year old son has been lifting for a while for football and has a physical conditioning class in his high school (where they lift and run). He's decided football really isn't his thing.

Now he is considering powerlifting
    Please congratulate him for me on his excellent idea. (srs)

Don't get me wrong. I love the ideal of the football player...athletics and all that...but understandably, powerlifting gets me all twitterpated.

tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I was just glad when my 14-year-old (whose biggest interest so far has been WOW and Runescape, and an occasional dip in our pool) came home from his first overnight field trip (yes, chaperoned) and immediately wanted to lift.
    My dad pulled out of him that he'd met some gal(s) and he hasn't quit lifting since, has been doing SS for a couple of months. Testosterone rules.

tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    yep it is all fine and good until they start curling

In the squat rack

yep it is all fine and good until they start curling

In the squat rack
    That's my power rack! Nice setup you've got there. And one heckuva strong kid!

Originally Posted by tnthudson View Post
    That's my power rack! Nice setup you've got there. And one heckuva strong kid!
    he is squatting 315

(the bar is on the outside safties - that bar weighs 67lbs on its own - it is a solid beast)