Nishino obvious best girl Elitism's Avatar
    Elitism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Elitism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Elitism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Elitism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Elitism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Elitism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Elitism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Elitism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Elitism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Elitism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Elitism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

3 day split critique [textbomb]

Just looking for some opinions on this split; keep in mind these are exercises I genuinely like doing so if there is a reason as to why you dislike them or would like to suggest a change/replacement please state why. My goal is hypertrophy.

I feel if I like the workout I am more likely to motivate myself to continue to workout.

I am proficient in the gym and I find a 3day split works best for my current schedule (or lack thereof)

Split is:
    Chest/tri
    Back/bi
    leg/shoulder

abs thrown in random and workouts never done on consecutive days, sometimes 2 day rest if life gets in the way of me being able to go to the gym.

Day 1 - Chest/tris

* 3 x 8 Bench press
    * 3 x 10 dips (body weight only atm)
    * 3 x 8 Incline bench press
    * 3 x 10 Dumbbell (or cable) flyes *The reason it is and/or is because I am curious on peoples opinion on which is better or if there is a huge diff between the two. I find the cables work my chest more but again that could just be because I get a bigger ROM when I cross over my chest)
    * 3 x 10 Skull crushers
    * 3 x 10 Cable tricep pulldown (I could also use free-weights for tricep extension but again I feel like when I use the cable pull I can contract the muscle and get a good pump into it.)

Day 3 - Biceps, Back:

* 3 x 10 Barbell curls
    * 3 x 10 Hammer curls
    * 2-3 sets of pullups to failure (I'm not sure if the 2 or 3 sets is better, I generally have been doing 3 but if the volume is currently too much I could knock it down to 2. Wouldnt even considering cutting because I love pullups.)
    * 2 x 10 Lat pulls
    * 3 x 10 Bent-over Rows
    * 3 x 8 Barbell deadlifts
    * 3 x 10 Barbell shrugs (I'm actually looking for something to replace this as I'm not a huge fan of it but I like the area that it works - traps - and its the only exercise i am proficient in for that area. Also unsure of if this should be on leg/shoulder day?)

Day 5 - Legs/Shoulders

* 3 x 8 Squats
    * 3 x 10 Leg press
    * 3 x 10 Calf raises
    * 2 x 10 Dumbbell lunges
    * 3 x 10 side raises
    * 3 x 10 shoulder presses
    * 3 x 10 db press (I prefer immensely over military or bb press because I find it easier to keep a good form)

The order I listed them isn't necessarily the order I do them in, I generally change the order on a 1-2 week basis as a means to try and trick my muscles.

Does the volume seem like a lot and if so should I lower reps or sets? It usually takes me about an hour to finish a set not counting warm up (I generally do a light jog to the gym, 4-5 minutes tops) and I take about 30-1min between sets and 2-3 minutes between exercises.

I generally "struggle" on the last 1-2 reps of each set but can usually complete with good form. I try to advance the weight once a week or two as long as my reps don't suffer (unable to finish at least 80%)

Criticism/advice/adjustments are all greatly appreciated.

kiko808 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kiko808 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kiko808 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kiko808 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kiko808 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kiko808 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kiko808 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kiko808 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kiko808 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kiko808 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kiko808 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    wow your 3 day split is similar to mine.

Except mine is the traditional push/pull/legs.

Have you tried that in the past? and do you think this 3 day is better then the push/pull/legs?

Elitism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Elitism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Elitism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Elitism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Elitism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Elitism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Elitism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Elitism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Elitism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Elitism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Elitism is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I only tried a pull/push/leg for a little while, one I found on this site, and I enjoyed it but I found if I went heavy I would be sore in too many places at once.

I also like the few isolation exercises I have in this, while the big compounds are my major measurers I seem to be having good progress (gains wise) so I feel like this is working.

I think I might cut out the leg presses and do something like 2x10 SLDL since I don't really have too much focusing right on the hammies and I'm scared they will get underdeveloped compared to my calves/quads

@ leg/shoulder day that shoulder/db
    Press are the same exercise, I added it twice on accident and can't edit on my phone so before anyone points that out I am aware

Also, would an upright bb row (if thats the correct name?) be a suitable replacement for db/bb shrugs?

kiko808 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kiko808 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kiko808 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kiko808 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kiko808 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kiko808 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kiko808 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kiko808 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kiko808 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kiko808 is on a distinguished road. (+10) kiko808 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I would start off doing Back before you do biceps.

Always start from the biggest muscles. And Barbell row would be a great replacement.

You could also use a T-Bar row which is a great machine alternative.