MeNTaIPaTleNT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MeNTaIPaTleNT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How is this for a Full Body Routine?

I'm coming off 2months of P90X. Been cutting for about 6mo now and I'm down to 197ish. I can't do P90X anymore. It just doesn't hold my attention like it used to.

I'm looking to shift to a full body routine for a month or two while I try and cut to about 185. I plan on doing the following twice a week (monday and thursday). Other days ill fit in some cardio at 2 or 3mi and some ab work.

Flap benchpress 3x5
    Deadlift 3x5
    Hack squat 3x5
    Bent row 3x5
    Shoulder shrugs 3x10
    BB curl 3x8
    Dips 3xfailure
    Standing calf raise 3x15

I would superset the bb curls and dips. For everything else there is about 1min rest between sets. I tried this workout the other day and it took about an hour to complete.

Would you change anything?

Registered User HisNameWasBoner's Avatar
    HisNameWasBoner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HisNameWasBoner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HisNameWasBoner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HisNameWasBoner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HisNameWasBoner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HisNameWasBoner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HisNameWasBoner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HisNameWasBoner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HisNameWasBoner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HisNameWasBoner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HisNameWasBoner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Why hack instead or back or front squats?
    San Francisco Giants, Iowa Hawkeyes

MtMostWanted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MtMostWanted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MtMostWanted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MtMostWanted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MtMostWanted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MtMostWanted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MtMostWanted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MtMostWanted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MtMostWanted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MtMostWanted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MtMostWanted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by HisNameWasBoner View Post
    Why hack instead or back or front squats?

I did hack squats before I got my rack.As for the routine it looks fairly legit for maintaining strength during your cut. Might even be able to gain strength while cutting. I've heard of large strength gains for people changing to a strength program from p90x. I'm currently doing a similar full body program, but it goes 3 days a week. Bill Starr 5x5. Getting great gains. You might want to look into adding a 3rd day. Most beginner/intermediate programs I've seen are 3 days.
    Alcoholism is a disease of the whole person. Sober since May 2011.

MeNTaIPaTleNT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MeNTaIPaTleNT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I dont have a squat rack at the moment. I can front squat now, but once I start increasing weight I'm not sure ill be able to clean it with good form. So if I can't, ill continue to hack.

I was thinking about doing it 3x per week, but my legs were still pretty sore today and I tried routine on thursday, lol. Maybe I'll kick it up to 3x per week in a week or two after my body adapts a little bit.

BarbellJester is on a distinguished road. (+10) BarbellJester is on a distinguished road. (+10) BarbellJester is on a distinguished road. (+10) BarbellJester is on a distinguished road. (+10) BarbellJester is on a distinguished road. (+10) BarbellJester is on a distinguished road. (+10) BarbellJester is on a distinguished road. (+10) BarbellJester is on a distinguished road. (+10) BarbellJester is on a distinguished road. (+10) BarbellJester is on a distinguished road. (+10) BarbellJester is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by MeNTaIPaTleNT View Post
    Would you change anything?
    Play with the reps. 3x5, 4x4, 5x3, 8x2. To me personally, lifting weights during a cut is all about strength maintenance, and both building and maintaining strength are done well in the 1, 2, and 3 rep range.

The volume looks great. And like you said, try it for two weeks, then add a day.

The issue with weightlifting and being on a calorie deficit is feeding the workout itself. You don't wanna spend the whole time feeling like butt, and you especially don't want to cumulate stress the entire time.

But you knew all that. I'm just typing to read my own thoughts

TyronK is on a distinguished road. (+10) TyronK is on a distinguished road. (+10) TyronK is on a distinguished road. (+10) TyronK is on a distinguished road. (+10) TyronK is on a distinguished road. (+10) TyronK is on a distinguished road. (+10) TyronK is on a distinguished road. (+10) TyronK is on a distinguished road. (+10) TyronK is on a distinguished road. (+10) TyronK is on a distinguished road. (+10) TyronK is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If you can, maybe do incline presses instead of flat benches? That way you can get the shoulders a bit more while still hitting the chest hard (or since you're doing dips too, maybe do overhead press instead?)

Maybe ill try doing the above and if I have time to spare or extra energy, ill run through every exercise once more for a total of 4 sets?

Ive done incline presses with dumbells but never with a barbell. Ill try it out tho.

sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    i'm doing a full body workout too. i train 3 times a week and it only takes me about 30 mins per session.

weighted dips - triple r/p
    weighted chin ups - triple r/p
    clean & press - 5-7 reps, 12- 25 reps
    deadlifts / squats - 5-7 reps, 12-15 reps

i alternate every workout between deadlifts and squats because i found that if i do both in 1 workout i can't really recover properly. every 5 weeks i switch to 5x5 training for 5 weeks. for me this program worked the best in terms of muscle and strength gains out of all the programs i've ever done before (dc, max-ot).

ArcherOfSin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ArcherOfSin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ArcherOfSin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ArcherOfSin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ArcherOfSin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ArcherOfSin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ArcherOfSin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ArcherOfSin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ArcherOfSin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ArcherOfSin is on a distinguished road. (+10) ArcherOfSin is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by sebbbi91 View Post
    i'm doing a full body workout too. i train 3 times a week and it only takes me about 30 mins per session.

weighted dips - triple r/p
    weighted chin ups - triple r/p
    clean & press - 5-7 reps, 12- 25 reps
    deadlifts / squats - 5-7 reps, 12-15 reps

i alternate every workout between deadlifts and squats because i found that if i do both in 1 workout i can't really recover properly. every 5 weeks i switch to 5x5 training for 5 weeks. for me this program worked the best in terms of muscle and strength gains out of all the programs i've ever done before (dc, max-ot).
    Glad to hear it's working well, but I would really do C+P first since it's the most technical and most draining. Then squat/dead, followed by dips and chins. But that's just me. As for exercise choice, I love it to bits.

Archer

sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by ArcherOfSin View Post
    Glad to hear it's working well, but I would really do C+P first since it's the most technical and most draining. Then squat/dead, followed by dips and chins. But that's just me. As for exercise choice, I love it to bits.

Archer
    thanks for the advice. i thought about doing clean & press first. i'll try it in my next 5 week cycle and see how it goes. i already tried doing squats/deadlifts at the beginning of my workout when i started doing full body workouts but i found that my other lifts suffered too much. i think it's more optimal to do them at the end because i'm really not much stronger in those lifts if i do them first anyway.

I would love to do pull/chin ups on a regular basis but I have nowhere to do them. No swingset with monkey bars in the yard and no usable trees. Can't get the p90x doorframe bar because i measured and the damn thing wouldn't fit in ANY doorframes in the house. I'm not gonna buy a gym membership just for chins when i have a bench and everything else at home. Closest movement I can do to mimic it is put the band in the top of the door and sit on the floor, lol.