Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000)

Question What are benefits of a sauna? Anyone else use?

I have used them off and on in the past and I'm just curious as to if anyone else uses the sauna and what benefits, if any, you have seen. A seen an article recently talking about some benefits of saunas. It said:

The heat produced in a sauna room relaxes the muscles as blood flow increases. According to Harvard Medical School, for each minute you are in the sauna, the heart nearly doubles the amount of blood pumped. The skin temperature increases to approximately 104 degrees Fahrenheit within minutes of sitting in a sauna.

Then it goes on to say:

In a 2007 study performed at the University of Otago in New Zealand, it was found that male runners had improved running endurance after daily use of a sauna after exercise for three weeks. Subjects exercised for approximately 15 minutes and then relaxed in a sauna for approximately 30 minutes following each session. The sauna was at about 190 degrees Fahrenheit. The researchers speculated that improved endurance resulted from an increase in blood volume from prolonged heat exposure.

However, another study goes on to say:

The hot environment can lead to cardiovascular risks such as hypotension, arrhythmia, and sudden death, warns a 2001 study in the "American Journal of Medical Electronics." Hypotension or low blood pressure can cause dizziness or fainting. In severe cases, it can lead to shock and/or death.

And also:

The heat of a dry sauna can reach upwards of 185 degrees, increasing the risk of serious burns. Though rare, burns from dry sauna air have been reported. These injuries can be especially dangerous, leading to a third-degree burn.

A 2009 study in the "Journal of Burn Care and Research" cautions that early, aggressive treatment is necessary to halt the occurrence of rhabdomyolysis, the rapid breakdown of skeletal muscle. In severe cases, amputations and excision of the affected muscles may be needed.

So, does anyone else here who have used it feel like it helps them recuperate any faster or noticed any improvement in their workout endurance? There seems to be a lot of mixed information out there as to whether it does more harm then good. Are they worth using?
    Last edited by terman1; 07-17-2011 at 04:59 PM.

__Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000)
    Don't know the proper science behind it besides common theories. But I still go to the sauna and hot tubs (and cold showers in between) after most gym sessions.
    How much grass could an ass to grass squater squat if an ass to grass squater could squat grass?

MtMostWanted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MtMostWanted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MtMostWanted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MtMostWanted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MtMostWanted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MtMostWanted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MtMostWanted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MtMostWanted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MtMostWanted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MtMostWanted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MtMostWanted is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    This question definitely doesn't belong in the exercise forum.
    Alcoholism is a disease of the whole person. Sober since May 2011.

__Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000) __Iceman__ is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by MtMostWanted View Post
    Go ahead and suggest the appropriate section then.
    How much grass could an ass to grass squater squat if an ass to grass squater could squat grass?

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    saunas + cold showers help with recovery.

terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    If course it does. Point of the article is that there are studies that show that people who regularly use saunas have the possibility of greater recuperative effects after exercise. If there is the possibility of something that we can do to help get back to the gym and lift harder and feel better faster it is relevant to exercise. Just trying to sort some of the facts from the bulls*it and get real life input.

EDIT: If that is all you had to contribute to the conversation then GTFO
    Last edited by terman1; 07-17-2011 at 05:00 PM.

Detroit Hardcore Bros PeteyFunk's Avatar
    PeteyFunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteyFunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteyFunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteyFunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteyFunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteyFunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteyFunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteyFunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteyFunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteyFunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteyFunk will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by terman1 View Post

EDIT: If that is all you had to contribute to the conversation then GTFO
    This.

I use the steam room after a session if I have time. I don't know what benefit it actually has, but personally, I find it to be soothing and relaxing and makes my workout just feel a little more complete.

Originally Posted by PeteyFunk View Post
    This.

I use the steam room after a session if I have time. I don't know what benefit it actually has, but personally, I find it to be soothing and relaxing and makes my workout just feel a little more complete.
    My old gym used to have one but I moved and the gym I go to now does not which kind of sucks since I used to enjoy it occasionally after a workout. I never really thought about it much before but I did feel better afterwards. Did it seem as all if your recovery was improved?

Detroit Hardcore Bros PeteyFunk's Avatar
    PeteyFunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteyFunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteyFunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteyFunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteyFunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteyFunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteyFunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteyFunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteyFunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteyFunk will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteyFunk will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by terman1 View Post
    My old gym used to have one but I moved and the gym I go to now does not which kind of sucks since I used to enjoy it occasionally after a workout. I never really thought about it much before but I did feel better afterwards. Did it seem as all if your recovery was improved?
    I notice it after a long hard lift, I feel more refreshed and ready to go on with my day. I don't think it really affects doms, but the day I do it I definitely notice my body feeling better than usual.

Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Saunas are great for loosening tight muscles. Great especially after a workout. It is also good for increasing sweating or decreasing water retention.
    If you not feeling the burn your not pushing hard enough.
    "Don't talk about it, be about it" MK
    Change, Challenge, Compete

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    They're useful if you feel like doing it.

If you don't feel like doing it, they are not useful.
    There's no rule that says the dog can't play.

nitr0overload has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nitr0overload has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nitr0overload has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nitr0overload has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nitr0overload has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nitr0overload has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nitr0overload has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nitr0overload has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nitr0overload has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nitr0overload has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nitr0overload has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I sometimes go in the ymca's sauna after a workout and it feels good

BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think saunas are great and I wish I had more access to them. They are nice for pre or post workout festivities. Sweating is good for you.

Just shut up. I fukin hate it when people say stupid stuff like this, like they are the section police or something like that.

You gonna write him a ticket brah?

ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I'd love to use saunas, and heated jacuzzis as well (as I sometimes did, many years ago). Unfortunately they haven't invented the cooled, water-tight jockstrap yet. So until then, I stay away.

kc0716 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kc0716 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kc0716 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kc0716 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kc0716 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kc0716 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kc0716 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kc0716 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kc0716 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kc0716 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kc0716 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Be mindful of water loss while doing extended sauna sessions. If you are just doing a brief 10-15 after working out a couple times a week, no big deal probably.

Be extra mindful of water loss if you are using creatine as creatine holds water and sauna releases water.

Be extra extra mindful of water loss if you are using any stimulants and/or EC stacks and their equivalents.

Originally Posted by kc0716 View Post
    Be mindful of water loss while doing extended sauna sessions. If you are just doing a brief 10-15 after working out a couple times a week, no big deal probably.

Be extra mindful of water loss if you are using creatine as creatine holds water and sauna releases water.

Be extra extra mindful of water loss if you are using any stimulants and/or EC stacks and their equivalents.
    Yeah, good points. Those are some of the things that I get kind of concerned about. I know staying hydrated is so important so it seems kind of counterproductive to sit somewhere that takes so much away. I was on the Livestrong site and it said:

"One of the most common dangers associated with the use of an infrared sauna is dehydration. As infrared radiation penetrates your body, and as the infrared energy heats up the air around your body, you will begin to sweat. If your body is already dehydrated, or if you spend too long in the sauna without re-hydrating, your body can become severely dehydrated. Signs of dehydration include dry mouth, thirst, headache, lack of sweating and a fast heartbeat, states the Mayo Clinic. If you experience any of these signs you should exit the sauna immediately and hydrate yourself."

It's things like that that may me wonder if they are really a good idea or not.

mfull33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mfull33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mfull33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mfull33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mfull33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mfull33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mfull33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mfull33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mfull33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mfull33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mfull33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm about 50/50. I'll usually do it if I'm unusually sore or want some time to decompress. I've also had some issues with a stiff neck the past few weeks and I've found that it has really helped.

Haven't noticed any direct effect on my lifting, but I also haven't thought to correlate the two...might be interesting to note from now on...

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Sauna is for sweating, steam room is for steamy atmosphere, hot tub is for submersion. They're all pretty much for you to relax.

People say they go in there to loosen up their muscles, get the blood flowing, and do exercises, before or after their workout. To me it is an inhibitor. I get out and am dazed, with blood-shot eyes. If I work out after, my workout is greatly compromised, and my post-cardio workout releases plenty of endorphins without being in hot temperature.

If my muscles are sore, I stretch in the hot tub; If it's a cold day, I sweat in the sauna; If I have a head-ache or am sick, I breath in the steam-room; and not around when I work out. Going in them however for the benefits covered in 'scientific' studies is decidedly negligible or placebo.

I've gotten less than 1st degree 'burns' in the sauna if there are such thing, never seen anyone die myself. Like I said, though, I get blood-shot eyes even after drinking a liter of water while I'm in there for like 20 minutes. It's mostly the state of mind you are in.

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by BombDonald View Post
    Just shut up. I fukin hate it when people say stupid stuff like this, like they are the section police or something like that.

You gonna write him a ticket brah?
    I tend to not have an issue w/ soemone saying that.

Except in this instance, I take issue w/ a few things.

1. It actually does belong in here.
    2. Terman is a regular here, so I'm sure he'd feel he'd get answers he wanted here.
    3. This really is the most important.... why is a Jul 2011 user trying to dictate what belongs in this section?
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by __Iceman__ View Post
    thats what i was thinking. rofl

Originally Posted by __Iceman__ View Post
    It could actually go in the Injury Prevention and Recovery subsection. For that matter, the last post on there was at 7:21 PST, there isn't much traffic in there. This thread is also just about as OT about exercises either way (a tad more here), so it really isn't that big of a deal.

As far as that last part goes, the allowance of these topics is rather appropriate considering that Exercises isn't the highest traffic forum either.

Cool thread IMO. Great setup for discussion, and as stated, it is meant for such.

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    You can do exercises in the sauna, so it belongs. People forget that warm water can help us relax. I highly recommend you all check out this downloadable DVD about how to exercise in the bath tub, it's a highly scientific work just out of Japan. http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=225233

Probably good for doing stretches too. Also the ladies.

Originally Posted by Tyciol View Post
    You can do exercises in the sauna, so it belongs.
    You can, but the sauna is smaller than my bedroom. Not that someone doing anything but push-ups is disruptive in regards, and peoples' conversations can be much more irritating, but it's harder to argue against someone doing push-ups while I want to lay on the bench longways .
    Probably good for doing stretches too. Also the ladies.
    Yeah x2. Now if they were just interested in talking to me.

ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    OK, so while in the sauna... to add steam, or not add steam? I never understood the purpose. Just gave me a satisfying feeling to mess around with it for some reason. Wait...

shanewattson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    In today’s life everybody is running after money but we are neglecting our body. There is an important proverb in English. “Health is Wealth “. No doubt money is very important, but health is also more important. If we are physically and mentally fit we can earn our bread and butter. We don’t have time for running, walking or going to gym. There was a time when few people get up early in the morning and go for morning walk , no doubt it may be summer or winter. In traditional time people use to work physically. Today physically work is less and mentally work is more.

Vital Saunas provides everybody to keep your body 100% fit. It is accepted that bathing in sauna is better than relaxing experience and provide wide range for health benefits. The reason that a sauna helps with muscle pain is a simple one is that muscles are often sore when they are tired and stiff. A sauna uses heat to soften the muscles and therefore bring relief. The heat of a sauna has also been show to have some effect on increased blood flow, which may help injured muscles to repair more quickly.

The benefits of vital saunas are cancer therapy, blood circulation, and skin glow; relieve stress, burns calories, fights illness, feel good, help in deep sleep and many more. These saunas are equipped with infrared heaters. The infrared waves from the heaters penetrate the skin, warm the body and cause it to sweat. Sauna therapy is a very good for health treatment. Saunas have many health benefits. Your body will be healthier if you take on regular sauna.

You can also use sauna to lose weight. Everybody can burn as much as 300-600 calories. Everybody wants a good physique. We appreciate many big Hollywood celebrities that they are very smart, beautiful and handsome. But we forget that they really work for it. Everybody wants to look younger than their age. Vital saunas really help, satisfy and make everybody physical and mentally fit. Don’t miss this opportunity. It is must for everybody men or women.

Our existing customer is fully satisfied from our services. Our charges are also very reasonable. We are having different types of saunas like one person saunas, two person saunas, three person saunas, four person saunas and five person saunas. Thus sauna is a hot air bath and a great way to relax.

Infrared sauna @ vitalsaunas.com

Frano316 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frano316 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frano316 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    put it this way, chinese and aboriginals been using saunas for a long ass time with no negative effects

aqualinesaunas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Re:

Saunas have many benefits like:
    1) Relieves Stress
    2) Relaxes Muscles and Soothes Aches and Pains in Muscles and Joints
    3) Flushes Toxins
    4) Cleanses Skin
    5) Induces a Deeper sleep
    6) Recreational and Social Benefits
    7) Burn Calories
    8) Fight illness
    To know more about saunas,visit:
    aqualinesaunas.co.uk

canadian1970 will become famous soon enough. (+50) canadian1970 will become famous soon enough. (+50) canadian1970 will become famous soon enough. (+50) canadian1970 will become famous soon enough. (+50) canadian1970 will become famous soon enough. (+50) canadian1970 will become famous soon enough. (+50) canadian1970 will become famous soon enough. (+50) canadian1970 will become famous soon enough. (+50) canadian1970 will become famous soon enough. (+50) canadian1970 will become famous soon enough. (+50) canadian1970 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by kc0716 View Post

My gym tells everyone no longer than a 15min session, exit cool down for a few minutes then one more session for no longer then 15 minutes. Completely agree with watching water loss on stims/stacks!!
    It's not about how much the guy beside me lifts!
    It's not about how much the girl beside me lifts!
    It's about me!

ffniederkrome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I know this is an old thread but I'm gonna post anyways.

I think saunas are great if used properly.

High heat environments are known to help pump more blood by increasing your skin temperature, which in turn increases your heart rate. When I go into the sauna I typically stay in for 20 minutes after an intense 20 minute cardio session. By immediately going into the sauna after my cardio session, I am able to maintain my target heart rate for a prolonged period of time during my rest period. KC0716 made an excellent point about dehydration. I usually chug a bottle of water between my cardio and sauna time, and then fill it up and sip on it slowly during the next 20 minutes while I wait in the sauna. I can't say I know for sure that the sauna is the reason I've had increased endurance, because overall I've been just working out more often as well, but I definitely have seen improvements since I started doing the cardio to sauna transition. I aim to do it every other day.

I don't know much about the second study you cited that states saunas can lead to arrythmias and hypotension and what not, but I would question how long they were in the sauna, what the age group was, and if they were overweight or had any pre-existing medical conditions. Because performing an intense workout when you are overweight or have pre-existing medical conditions can have the same effects. I think that monitoring how your body feels while in the sauna is all that you need to do. There's been times I've stayed in for 30 minutes and I knew I should have got out at 20 because I was dizzy (from hypotension), but I was a dumb ass and felt like **** when I finally got out.

Lastly, the burns have only been known to happen in dry saunas, so just use a wet one if you are able to. If you only have dry saunas at your gym, just pay attention to your body. You can feel yourself getting sunburned in the summer, which is classified as a 1st degree burn. So I would bet that the people who ended up getting 3rd degree burns (blackened skin beyond blistering) ended up falling asleep in there or something because that's insane!

<(^_^<) (>^_^)> <(^_^<) AfroMidnite's Avatar
    AfroMidnite is just really nice. (+1000) AfroMidnite is just really nice. (+1000) AfroMidnite is just really nice. (+1000) AfroMidnite is just really nice. (+1000) AfroMidnite is just really nice. (+1000) AfroMidnite is just really nice. (+1000) AfroMidnite is just really nice. (+1000) AfroMidnite is just really nice. (+1000) AfroMidnite is just really nice. (+1000) AfroMidnite is just really nice. (+1000) AfroMidnite is just really nice. (+1000)
    Well this old ass thread is already bumped so ANECDOTE TIME.

I went to a spa in Hong Kong and across from their 'sauna' they had a 'steam room'. I didn't know there was a difference so I stepped into the steam room and ho-lee crap, the steam was so thick I could hardly see or breathe and it was hotter than any sauna I'd ever been in. I sat on the bench there with a whole mess of naked chinese men, sitting very still and breathing slowly to deal with the thickness of the air. There was a fat pile of herbs that the steam was filtering through and it smelled sort of like medicine but also very natural. Amazing, head-spinning, almost-blacking-out experience... but definitely wouldn't do it for more than 10 minutes.