Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    hitz2000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question What to do with this 55 year old lady??

My neighbor just recently asked me to train her 3 times a week for an hour each time and I havent helped out anyone over 50 and know that things are different as the body ages. She is pretty active as she water-skis on our lake every now and then and has been hitting the gym on her own recently. I just wanted to know from others' knowledge/experiences with what kinda of exercises/ cardio sessions i should put my neighbor on because I dont want to overtrain her body. Any help would be great feel free to post your opinions as well.

ps- she is already pretty slim and she wants to gain muscle strength and/or tone and of course fat loss.

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Age is irrelevant, capabilities and goals are what matters.

You could have a 55yo who has greater capabilities and more ambitious goals than a 35yo. You have to look at the individual's fitness, strength, mobility, injuries and illnesses, etc. Thus the first word in our job title.

FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by KyleAaron View Post
    Age is irrelevant, capabilities and goals are what matters.

You could have a 55yo who has greater capabilities and more ambitious goals than a 35yo. You have to look at the individual's fitness, strength, mobility, injuries and illnesses, etc. Thus the first word in our job title.
    Age is relevant, because as we grow older, trying to maintain our strength and respitory fitness is good, because its an inevitable decline.

mikeyfitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mikeyfitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mikeyfitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mikeyfitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mikeyfitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mikeyfitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mikeyfitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mikeyfitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mikeyfitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mikeyfitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mikeyfitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Just start her out light maybe have some medicine ball training and dumbbell training first session see how she feels if its to easy just work up a little bit and see where her bodies at than take it from there, if shes just trying to build muscle simple bodybuilding training will do and a good eating plan

Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Saw that you posted this in the OV35 forum, here's my reply :One word Bro: can you say LIABILITY?!!!!!!!, I am a PT from Toronto Canada and whether you are a private PT or work for a mainstream gym as one this is always a main concern, worse if you are not certified by an accredited association.A Red flag, as soon as I here 55 yr old women right away I know that women at 55 are at the risk of certain cardiac factors and I would not proceed with them until I had received written or verbal consent by her medical physician that she can begin a moderate to low intensity program.-Ty
    All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the ... day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible.

Tybalt aka The Phantom Menace
    BodDbyTybalt Fitness
    Can-Fit Pro PTS,NWS

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    That he posteed it in other forums suggests he is not a trainer at all, so liability won't be relevant to him.

In Australia, we used to have men and women over a certain age automatically have to get a doctor's note, a gym was sued for age discrimination, so now we don't.

If a guy of 40 who an obese smoker with high blood pressure and no previous physical training history comes to me, I'll ask for a doctor's note. A 55yo woman who is a slim nonsmoker with healthy blood pressure, no issues in her medical history and physically active, well no note needed.

This is why we do health consultations, to find out the person's medical and physical training history. Age is only part of that.

Of course this won't be relevant to a person who is training people and holding no qualifications or experience and doing no health screen. To that person I can only say, "good luck! you'll need it."

tkxii is on a distinguished road. (+10) tkxii is on a distinguished road. (+10) tkxii is on a distinguished road. (+10) tkxii is on a distinguished road. (+10) tkxii is on a distinguished road. (+10) tkxii is on a distinguished road. (+10) tkxii is on a distinguished road. (+10) tkxii is on a distinguished road. (+10) tkxii is on a distinguished road. (+10) tkxii is on a distinguished road. (+10) tkxii is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Totally agree with ^.

In fact recent studies by ACSM showed that elder people benefit from heavy weight strength training and not the light stuff that is often recommended to keep people safe. She sounds ambitious and needs a challenge

Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tybalt71 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    That he posteed it in other forums suggests he is not a trainer at all, so liability won't be relevant to him.

In Australia, we used to have men and women over a certain age automatically have to get a doctor's note, a gym was sued for age discrimination, so now we don't.

If a guy of 40 who an obese smoker with high blood pressure and no previous physical training history comes to me, I'll ask for a doctor's note. A 55yo woman who is a slim nonsmoker with healthy blood pressure, no issues in her medical history and physically active, well no note needed.

This is why we do health consultations, to find out the person's medical and physical training history. Age is only part of that.

Of course this won't be relevant to a person who is training people and holding no qualifications or experience and doing no health screen. To that person I can only say, "good luck! you'll need it."
    On initial interviews with potential clients I do health screening, fitness assessments,Physical Activity Readiness Questionnaire (PAR-Q) health history etc, not sure what the requirements are for across the pond but here in Canada this is our process to determine whether one is "apparently healthy" and can begin a moderate to high intensity program from ages 15-69 are required, no age discrimination. For the OP , i was assuming that he was not in fact certified/registered or accredited and i wanted to jump in and warn him of the accountability for this individual who is seeking training.Not even so much that it is a 55 yr old women, I would offer the same opinion to anyone who is not certified or established as a PT.-Ty
    All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the ... day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible.

BodDbyTybalt Fitness
    Can-Fit Pro PTS,NWS

hitz2000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Originally Posted by Tybalt71 View Post
    On initial interviews with potential clients I do health screening, fitness assessments,Physical Activity Readiness Questionnaire (PAR-Q) health history etc, not sure what the requirements are for across the pond but here in Canada this is our process to determine whether one is "apparently healthy" and can begin a moderate to high intensity program from ages 15-69 are required, no age discrimination. For the OP , i was assuming that he was not in fact certified/registered or accredited and i wanted to jump in and warn him of the accountability for this individual who is seeking training.Not even so much that it is a 55 yr old women, I would offer the same opinion to anyone who is not certified or established as a PT.-Ty
    thank you Ty for your concern, but she is a family friend for over a decade and quite active already. she has been trained through 24 for over 30 years and also I recently was trained under NESTA and received a 69 out of 70 and they wouldn't let me pass certified (go figure). My dad is a Physical Education middle school teacher, I am currently studying kinesiology as my major, and have been in the gym for 2-3years consistently so I have a strong background of fitness in my life. What am I made this post was for other trainers with the experience of training 40+ year old clients and what worked and what didn't work for them so I can learn very quickly what to apply to my future clients and what to avoid to excel as quick as possible. With this being said, please post exercise routines and aerobic exercises that you've personally saw results with or strongly think they would work for this woman as I am doing this out of love for the experience and not the money. Please don't lecture me on the health risks as I have already asked her and she said she has a pinch in her upper spine i am not sure what the disk number is but she said she can do shoulder press just not exercises like standing shoulder fly as it pinches a nerve in her upper vertebrae so if you could avoid included such exercises that would save us both time. Any suggestions I will take into consideration thank youall for your time/ knowledge

Originally Posted by hitz2000 View Post
    thank you Ty for your concern, but she is a family friend for over a decade and quite active already. she has been trained through 24 for over 30 years and also I recently was trained under NESTA and received a 69 out of 70 and they wouldn't let me pass certified (go figure). My dad is a Physical Education middle school teacher, I am currently studying kinesiology as my major, and have been in the gym for 2-3years consistently so I have a strong background of fitness in my life. What am I made this post was for other trainers with the experience of training 40+ year old clients and what worked and what didn't work for them so I can learn very quickly what to apply to my future clients and what to avoid to excel as quick as possible. With this being said, please post exercise routines and aerobic exercises that you've personally saw results with or strongly think they would work for this woman as I am doing this out of love for the experience and not the money. Please don't lecture me on the health risks as I have already asked her and she said she has a pinch in her upper spine i am not sure what the disk number is but she said she can do shoulder press just not exercises like standing shoulder fly as it pinches a nerve in her upper vertebrae so if you could avoid included such exercises that would save us both time. Any suggestions I will take into consideration thank youall for your time/ knowledge
    Fair enough!! 2 main areas i focus on for older type clients is flexibility training to ensure continued mobility and independence as we age and Atrophy(muscle loss) to counter this with hypertrophy.-Ty

BodDbyTybalt Fitness
    Can-Fit Pro PTS,NWS

phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    but she is a family friend for over a decade
    That's nice. If you hurt her you think she will care one bit about that when she files a lawsuit? These guys are giving you fair warning for your own good, I would strongly recommend you take their suggestions into consideration.

I'm going to echo KyleAarons last bit "good luck! you'll need it."
    Only a life lived for others, is a life worthwhile.

Azrairc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azrairc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azrairc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azrairc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azrairc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azrairc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azrairc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azrairc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azrairc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azrairc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azrairc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Yeah one risk factor is not enough to merit a doctors not but is 2? suppose she smoked would you require a note? I was told more than 1 = note needed.

FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Tybalt71 View Post
    sounds like you're an ACSM PT...

NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by fueledbyyelyah View Post
    age is relevant, because as we grow older, trying to maintain our strength and respitory fitness is good, because its an inevitable decline.
    BS, Go visit the over 35 section on here..

NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by phoenixr2 View Post
    That's nice. If you hurt her you think she will care one bit about that when she files a lawsuit? These guys are giving you fair warning for your own good, I would strongly recommend you take their suggestions into consideration.

I'm going to echo KyleAarons last bit "good luck! you'll need it."
    I agree. If he got a 69 on NESTA's PT test, he should study for another week and take it again this time passing it, buy insurance and then start training her.

Originally Posted by NYkarate View Post
    BS, Go visit the over 35 section on here..
    "Aging is associated with a reduction is muscle mass, which in turn contributes to decreased muscle strength and a decline in functional capacity."--Page 433

However, because of the natural decline in function associated with aging, the Personal Trainer should interpret maintenance of function as a successful outcome."--Page 432

ACSM'S Resources For The Personal Trainer

Originally Posted by FueledByYelyah View Post
    "Aging is associated with a reduction is muscle mass, which in turn contributes to decreased muscle strength and a decline in functional capacity."--Page 433

However, because of the natural decline in function associated with aging, the Personal Trainer should interpret maintenance of function as a successful outcome."--Page 432

Yeah, great so you don't lift for ten years, you are going to reduce muscle strength and functional capacity. Gee thanks for the revelation. No go back on this thread and understand what Kyle said and I agreed with. Furthermore, if you think your training study materials are the be-all end-all, I feel sorry for your clients, especially the 50 year-old training for a BB competition. You think he will be a satisfied client with "maintenance of function"????

Yeah, great so you don't lift for ten years, you are going to reduce muscle strength and functional capacity. Gee thanks for the revelation. No go back on this thread and understand what Kyle said and I agreed with. Furthermore, if you think your training study materials are the be-all end-all, I feel sorry for your clients, especially the 50 year-old training for a BB competition. You think he will be a satisfied client with "maintenance of function"????
    thankfully, i can recommend him to someone else

pretty simple actually

sounds like you're an ACSM PT...
    From Toronto Canada, I am a CAN-FIT PRO PTS-Ty

BodDbyTybalt Fitness
    Can-Fit Pro PTS,NWS

Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

damn, guess I'll have to think about this in my next contest loading a 335# atlas stone over a bar for reps....(2 months before I turn 48). can you even lift an atlas stone of the ground?

phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Iceman1800 View Post
    damn, guess I'll have to think about this in my next contest loading a 335# atlas stone over a bar for reps....(2 months before I turn 48). can you even lift an atlas stone of the ground?
    Oh don't sweat it man, I have learned in this thread that your body wont take a downward spiral until 50

BTW-I have heard the term stone before. Excuse my ignorance but what system is it from? What does a stone convert to in lbs or kg?
    Only a life lived for others, is a life worthwhile.

thankfully, i can recommend him to someone else

pretty simple actually
    Do you hear that jet overhead yet?

Oh don't sweat it man, I have learned in this thread that your body wont take a downward spiral until 50

BTW-I have heard the term stone before. Excuse my ignorance but what system is it from? What does a stone convert to in lbs or kg?
    Lulz, an atlas stone:

Most of us old folks have forgotten more than you guys know.

mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Associated (correlated) in large populations does not mean it's causal (w.r.t. that single variable).
    2 + 2 = 5 (for extremely large values of 2)

Try SCE to AUX

Lulz, an atlas stone:

Most of us old folks have forgotten more than you guys know.
    Sorry. I do know what an atlas stone is. I was more just wondering about the term "stone" in general as I see people occasional use it to describe their body weight.

Sorry. I do know what an atlas stone is. I was more just wondering about the term "stone" in general as I see people occasional use it to describe their body weight.
    1 "stone" = 14lbs, whereas, atlas stones are measured in lbs.

jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My neighbor just recently asked me to train her 3 times a week for an hour each time and I havent helped out anyone over 50 and know that things are different as the body ages. She is pretty active as she water-skis on our lake every now and then and has been hitting the gym on her own recently. I just wanted to know from others' knowledge/experiences with what kinda of exercises/ cardio sessions i should put my neighbor on because I dont want to overtrain her body. Any help would be great feel free to post your opinions as well.

ps- she is already pretty slim and she wants to gain muscle strength and/or tone and of course fat loss.
    Determine through pre-screening if she needs a doctor's recommendation to train. That is your first thing you need to do. Then encourage her to do some basic fitness testing like to-failure pushups or curlups to determine muscular strength/endurance or a rockport walking test to determine her aerobic health. Chances are she'll be in the beginner range if she hasn't trained seriously before.

Design a program that starts off light if she is a beginner and from there progress to her goals. There's no difference between a healthy 55 year old really and a 30 year old. Chances are the 55 year old will start off weaker than your average 30 year old but at the same time for their age group, both will likely be considered beginners.

Originally Posted by Iceman1800 View Post
    Is that a prerequisite for being a PT? How much I can lift? Lol

Is that a prerequisite for being a PT? How much I can lift? Lol
    You're 25, he is nearly 50. I am pretty sure he isn't a PT, but an athlete. I am 43 and in the best shape of my life. I can put down most guys half my age without breaking a sweat, do you think either of us are experiencing a "natural decline in function associated with aging", or would ever seek the services of a Personal Trainer who seeks "maintenance of function" as a successful outcome?

I suggest until you understand that as a personal trainer, your successful outcomes are dependent on helping your client reach THEIR goals, no matter the age, you take your own advice and "thankfully recommend [all your clients] to someone else, pretty simple actually"

flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Do you even lift weights? Look really out of shape to be giving advice.