exreds has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exreds has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exreds has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exreds has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exreds has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exreds has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exreds has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exreds has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exreds has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exreds has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exreds has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

BB Rows = Sore Traps?

So I've been focusing a lot on Barbell Rows (palms in) for my back. I'm absolutely loving this exercise and it really leaves my middle back/lats sore.

What I'm wondering about is the traps muscles. These muscles also feel sore after the rows, is it normal?

I'm asking because I know that rows should be done with perfect posture so I'm just a bit worried if I'm doing something wrong.

Appreciate any input.

AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000) AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000) AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000) AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000) AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000) AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000) AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000) AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000) AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000) AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000) AmazinJason is a name known to all. (+5000)
    the more upright you are, the more you will use your traps

it is normal to feel your traps being worked though to a certain extent

exreds has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exreds has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exreds has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exreds has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exreds has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exreds has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exreds has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exreds has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exreds has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exreds has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) exreds has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It makes sense. And it's true, yesterday I did them without bending at the waist so much. My back was a bit far from parallel to the floor.

The thing is that my back is completely sore (the "feel good" kind sore). But my traps too.

t_rave is on a distinguished road. (+10) t_rave is on a distinguished road. (+10) t_rave is on a distinguished road. (+10) t_rave is on a distinguished road. (+10) t_rave is on a distinguished road. (+10) t_rave is on a distinguished road. (+10) t_rave is on a distinguished road. (+10) t_rave is on a distinguished road. (+10) t_rave is on a distinguished road. (+10) t_rave is on a distinguished road. (+10) t_rave is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If your traps feel like they're the 'good sore', than why complain. Your body gets worked different as the angle of your back changes. If your posture is high your doing the rows while your body is more upright, hence where upright rows derive from. Anyways play with your back angles to hit different parts of your back once you can comfortably recognize it.
    I Rep Back.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=671123731#post671123731

^Try to make it happen^

True. I'm just a bit paranoid when it concerns my back cause I had some problems with it before from bad form. And the last thing I need now is time off from the gym.

Just gonna vary the angles and keep rowing strong.

TOS98SS is not very helpful. (-500) TOS98SS is not very helpful. (-500) TOS98SS is not very helpful. (-500) TOS98SS is not very helpful. (-500) TOS98SS is not very helpful. (-500) TOS98SS is not very helpful. (-500) TOS98SS is not very helpful. (-500) TOS98SS is not very helpful. (-500) TOS98SS is not very helpful. (-500) TOS98SS is not very helpful. (-500) TOS98SS is not very helpful. (-500)
    I did them the other day and my traps were hammered among my whole back I love it .

I don't do them every week cause I don't like the strain on my back .you can switch it up with t bar rows

terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by exreds View Post
    So I've been focusing a lot on Barbell Rows (palms in) for my back. I'm absolutely loving this exercise and it really leaves my middle back/lats sore.

What I'm wondering about is the traps muscles. These muscles also feel sore after the rows, is it normal?

I'm asking because I know that rows should be done with perfect posture so I'm just a bit worried if I'm doing something wrong.

Appreciate any input.
    Yes, it's normal. If you're really concerned with the trap involvement you can do something like seated cable rows instead if it really concerns you but honestly I like to think of trap involvement in bent-over barbell rows as more of a added benefit, not really a bad thing, imo.

Yeah I actually like that the traps are also getting work done. I was just afraid that it could be a sign of poor form.

Anyways I don't have a low cable pulley in my gym so I gotta stick with rows for my middle back, which is probably for the best anyway.

mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    There's always going to be trap involvement in this movement. Your shoulder blades are effectively hung off your traps and even if you are not using them in a dynamic sense they will still be worked to maintain position & stability (isometric) during the row. As others have said you can decrease their involvement by decreasing your upper body angle w.r.t. the horizon.
    2 + 2 = 5 (for extremely large values of 2)

Try SCE to AUX

terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Yeah I actually like that the traps are also getting work done. I was just afraid that it could be a sign of poor form.

Anyways I don't have a low cable pulley in my gym so I gotta stick with rows for my middle back, which is probably for the best anyway.
    Yes, they are very good so as long as they're not causing any issues for you. Since you don't currently have a low pulley/row station, if you do decide that you want something for your back that's a little more supported you can try alternating with db bench rows as well sometimes. I usually do them once a week.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...ntOverRow.html

Yeah I've been doing them already, great exercise also.

I'm currently on a Full Body Schedule and my back workout is something like:

MON - Lat Pull Downs
    WED - One Arm DB Rows
    FRI - Pull Ups + BB Rows

On Friday is my "kill" day and I do 2 exercises for the big muscles (Chest/Back/Quads).

If I feel that my back is starting to be strained from the BB rows I'll probably switch them for the T-Bar Rows, which seems like a good idea as the user TOS98 posted above.

T-Bar Rows are usually "easier" on the back?

PS: I'm only asking for variety sake, since until now I had no problems from the BB rows. Altough when I do squats or DL's on the same workout I do feel a bit of a strained back.

DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000)
    It's not a problem; your traps are simply weaker and thus they hurt more.

T-bar rows are pure murder if you do them heavy enough. Don't expect any relief.

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)

Appreciate any input.
    Yes, it's normal. Any muscles besides your lats that you use to pull your arms (and held weight) up are going to attach to your scapula, which would slump down unless the trapezius and rhomboids retract them. This includes the teres major, long head of the tricep, posterior deltoid, and maybe the teres minor/infraspinatus (I've read these come into play when the elbows are splayed out, I'm not sure if they do when the elbows come in).

Plus, I think I read somewhere that the lower+upper traps co-contraction helps to extend the neck, so I guess it'd help hold your head up too. Though there's other muscles that do that so I dunno.

If you don't want to feel traps, you can keep the elbows in to try and recruit the lats as much as possible, but rows aren't really the best way to try and isolate them, ExRx at most calls rows "general back". I've only seen lat listed as prime mover for pulldown/over/up exercises.

Great info.

Thx for all the input.