1fitmommy is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1fitmommy is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1fitmommy is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1fitmommy is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1fitmommy is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1fitmommy is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1fitmommy is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1fitmommy is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1fitmommy is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1fitmommy is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1fitmommy is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Red face NROLFW - Cardio Question

Thanks to everyone for the great information on weight training. I got the NROLFW book and started phase 1 yesterday. It was a good workout. Of course I am in the habit of doing three sets and way more exercises.. Old habits die hard and without thinking about it yesterday I did three sets of all the exercises in stead of 2. The last set I definitely did not squeeze out 15 reps but thats ok. I usually do squats with the smith machine but yesterday I went straight to the regular squat rack. I was a little afraid of getting"stuck" so my max weight was 90lbs - this includes the bar weight. I think I can go up a bit next time. My body was tired after though which was great. I was a little afraid that the workout was too short and there were not enough exercises. I guess I need to be patient and just follow the program. So I have two questions,

1. Should I do cardio on my lifting days ( HITT) or should I do this only on my days off from lifting?

2. Also how many warm up set do most of you do for each exercise? yesterday I did one warm up set of prior to each exercise with about 8 reps (as per the book)

Thanks
    KC

Kilanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'll be watching for answers to this as I am (hopfully) going to start NROLFW next week (still waiting on the book to be delivered)

I was wondering if I can carry on with 3x HITT sessions per week
    Kilanna

- A real man wants two things: danger and play. Therefore he wants woman as the most dangerous plaything - Friedrich Nietzsche

- I have the simplest taste. I'm always satisfied with the best - Oscar Wilde

nakedbabytoes will become famous soon enough. (+50) nakedbabytoes will become famous soon enough. (+50) nakedbabytoes will become famous soon enough. (+50) nakedbabytoes will become famous soon enough. (+50) nakedbabytoes will become famous soon enough. (+50) nakedbabytoes will become famous soon enough. (+50) nakedbabytoes will become famous soon enough. (+50) nakedbabytoes will become famous soon enough. (+50) nakedbabytoes will become famous soon enough. (+50) nakedbabytoes will become famous soon enough. (+50) nakedbabytoes will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The way I read it, I thought you were supposed to follow your workout with a HIIT session of 15-30 minutes. I've been doing that after every workout since I started(on week 3 now). Then on days off, get some sort of exercise(scheduled, unscheduled, organized, not organized, doesn't matter) as long as it doesn't interfere with recovery of your muscles. So say like, if you go for a run and the next day is a workout & you notice fatigue, then maybe running on off days isn't a good idea. But it said it was up to the user(way I understood it). Just get some sort of exercise or activity, even on off days. I've been swimming or mowing or gardening or kid wrangling(tag, soccer, bike catching, swing pushing, etc) on off days.

I just do the warmup stretching & movements they show in the book. I don't do "warmup lifts" of each exercise. Maybe once I get super heavy, I might see a need. Right now, I don't see a need. My job is very active(I do home daycare to 5 toddlers), so I'm up & down & active all day. I'm already warm!

Edit: I guess the interval stuff doesn't officially start until workout B of Stage 2. At least in NROL4W. I guess I got ahead of myself! That or confused it with the ABs book they also put out. Either way, that's how I've been doing it.
    Last edited by nakedbabytoes; 08-02-2011 at 01:17 PM.
    "That's what I want. Period. I want to look like I lift even when I don't flex. I want little girls to be afraid of my abs. I want other women to talk bad about me out of jealousy. I want men to worry I could snap them in half with my legs(yet be oddly turned on by the thought at the same time)." ~me2011

typeA17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) typeA17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) typeA17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) typeA17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) typeA17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) typeA17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) typeA17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) typeA17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) typeA17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) typeA17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) typeA17 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by 1fitmommy View Post

1. Should I do cardio on my lifting days ( HITT) or should I do this only on my days off from lifting?

2. Also how many warm up set do most of you do for each exercise? yesterday I did one warm up set of prior to each exercise with about 8 reps (as per the book)

Thanks
    KC
    Congrats on starting NROLFW! It's a great program (: I'm just finishing up Stage 1 with the two special workouts and then I'll take a few days off -- not the whole week! As the book is written, HIIT doesn't start until Stage 2, Workout B. The writers wanted to give your body enough time to recuperate and build a good base of strength before starting fat loss. I do one warm-up set for the first exercise of the day (squats or deadlifts) and none after that. The book says you can do a warm-up set for every exercise but are only required to do one for the first exercise.

Hope this helps!
    Weights > cardio

My bulking log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=140088743