Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10)

24 yo, OK results after years of lifting, next step? (photos attached)

I've weight lifted for 5-6 years fairly consistently, have tried all the recommended routines e.g. WS4SB, Starting Strength, 5/3/1, PHAT, and most recently PPL. Never tracked my macros/counted calories but have tried to hit ~1g protein/lb bodyweight and always drink 1-2 scoops of whey w/ milk after workouts. My strength has increased (PR DL ~475, Squat ~365, Bench ~255), but from an aesthetics perspective I haven't made proportional gains. I think I look average for someone who lifts and feel that my strength/numbers are not proportional to my appearance (see chitty bathroom mirror photos below—no pump + flexing). For reference I'm ~5'9 180.

https://imgur.com/a/KiDPeza

I recently graduated college and am now working a full time desk job. I want to get more serious about bodybuilding and was wondering what tips/resources I should pursue to improve my body's appearance from a purely aesthetics perspective? I used to care more about hitting bigger numbers but I think strength matters less for your day-to-day unless you compete/are an athlete whereas people are judging you all the time based off appearances.

Appreciate any advice from others more experienced!
    Last edited by Skarlo; 03-17-2022 at 12:30 AM.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Good lifts. I think you have more muscle than you think - but at 180 and 5'9 you probably also have more fat than you think which is masking muscle definition. So you could try a cut for a bit.

It's been recently established that strength gains come mostly from new muscle tissue - so getting stronger in the long run is always going to be desirable for someone wanting hypertrophy. But you don't have to pursue 1RMs, you can get stronger in (say) your 8 or 12RM and this might be more efficient at building muscle - or at least different enough from what you did before to be a novel stimulus to your body.

Aesthetics focused people can add extra isolation lifts to further improve hypertrophy but I put this lower on the list of priorities because I think too much is made over the differences between "strength training vs. size training" and whilst these will give you some extra advantage, it's not the game changer some seem to think it is.

Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Good lifts. I think you have more muscle than you think - but at 180 and 5'9 you probably also have more fat than you think which is masking muscle definition. So you could try a cut for a bit.

It's been recently established that strength gains come mostly from new muscle tissue - so getting stronger in the long run is always going to be desirable for someone wanting hypertrophy. But you don't have to pursue 1RMs, you can get stronger in (say) your 8 or 12RM and this might be more efficient at building muscle - or at least different enough from what you did before to be a novel stimulus to your body.

Aesthetics focused people can add extra isolation lifts to further improve hypertrophy but I put this lower on the list of priorities because I think too much is made over the differences between "strength training vs. size training" and whilst these will give you some extra advantage, it's not the game changer some seem to think it is.
    Thanks! Sounds like you'd advise continuing to focus on same principles of mass increasing with strength, but maybe focus on high reps/volume and add more isolation exercises. Kind of stuck between deciding to bulk more or cut... you think I have enough mass for a cut?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Skarlo View Post
    Thanks! Sounds like you'd advise continuing to focus on same principles of mass increasing with strength, but maybe focus on high reps/volume and add more isolation exercises. Kind of stuck between deciding to bulk more or cut... you think I have enough mass for a cut?
    You can cut whenever you want. It doesn't mean that you will end up at your final goal physique but it's still a step on the path towards it. If I was in your position, I would be happy to cut.

MilkforBrains has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MilkforBrains has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MilkforBrains has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MilkforBrains has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MilkforBrains has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MilkforBrains has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MilkforBrains has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MilkforBrains has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MilkforBrains has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MilkforBrains has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MilkforBrains has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Are these alts that you make to ask fitness questions with? I do like the advice.

Originally Posted by MilkforBrains View Post
    Are these alts that you make to ask fitness questions with? I do like the advice.
    This is my only acc! I lurk/have not been on the forums as much in recent years but yes do like to consult for questions/advice.