JoeDirtGR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

It's been a while...

...since I've done any major working out. Probably 2-1/2 years. I'm tired of loping around, wearing loose clothes, and trying to suffer through humid summers, sweating if it's over 72 degrees. It's frustrating, and I can't stand it. Having to decide between the normal camp chair and the 'heavy' camp chair at Wal Mart, along with having the doc diagnose me hypertensive was the tipping point for me.

In the past, I've done mild cardio (15min) to get muscles warmed and blood flowing. Then I'd go into a workout, either upper/arms, or lower/legs depending on the day, I'd usually try for 3 days per week. Then I'd finish with another 15 minutes of cardio, then hot-tub or steam room for a bit to clear my sinuses (allergies).

I did have some success, and lost about 20 lbs. doing that, along with a low-fat diet. I wasn't anywhere near where I am now though.

I'm now going to be 38, pushing 240, and need to get this reversed. I have a history of type-2 diabetes in my family, and need to head that off, as I'm getting close according to the doctor. I am also now borderline hypertensive as I said before, and my old routine helped bring my BP down. I want to fix this without meds.

So, after looking around for a while, I've now completely confused myself on supplements, and to some extent, routines.

I was never really interested in getting huge, so I was doing 3x10 sets of marginal weight (I'd say 50-70% of what I could handle) and the cardio was treadmill. I don't have a workout partner, and it would be hard to do since my schedule means one week I can do a M/Tu/Fri, or maybe a M/Wed/Sat... So I'm trying to get some cable machine exercises together that I can do myself, and ways to get info on how to track what I'm doing, how I'm doing, and what I can be doing better. I found the site, looked around, and it seems like there are a lot of really helpful people so I figured I'd ask- what would you do if you're a 38 year old, 50 pound overweight guy? What would you focus on, what would you worry about first?

I'm out of whack... I know that whole routine is probably unsustainable, and the biggest problem was that I didn't have a real "goal" other than "live healthier" so it was easy to cheat and get off course. I still keep my Y membership, sometimes I work out, way more often I just go to socialize, hot tub, and steam for my allergies. But, my diet sucks- I can eat decent stuff, I just eat too much of it- that's the real issue, I think lack of discipline towards my diet keeps me from being disciplined about all the rest. I'm ready to finally totally commit, I just need to get the right plan and focus.

I have no obstacles besides the ones I put in front of myself. I have a Costco close, I have the ability to make a good breakfast, an hour lunch break, and heck- another YMCA is being built here- right next door to where I work. I truly have no excuses...

TIA for all of the help!
    Last edited by JoeDirtGR; 07-11-2011 at 03:46 PM.

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by JoeDirtGR View Post

I was never really interested in getting huge, so I was doing 3x10 sets of marginal weight (I'd say 50-70% of what I could handle) and the cardio was treadmill.
    Don't worry, you won't accidentally 'get huge'.

I don't have a workout partner, and it would be hard to do since my schedule means one week I can do a M/Tu/Fri, or maybe a M/Wed/Sat... So I'm trying to get some cable machine exercises together that I can do myself, and ways to get info on how to track what I'm doing, how I'm doing, and what I can be doing better.
    You don't need a partner.

I found the site, looked around, and it seems like there are a lot of really helpful people so I figured I'd ask- what would you do if you're a 38 year old, 50 pound overweight guy? What would you focus on, what would you worry about first?
    I would eat less food/few calories, losing maybe 1/2 - 1 lb a week, while following a reasonable resistance routine centered around the major freeweight exercises.

I think lack of discipline towards my diet keeps me from being disciplined about all the rest. I'm ready to finally totally commit, I just need to get the right plan and focus.
    If nothing else eat less food.

Thanx for the reply- I agree that less is more right now, so that just has to happen. I was only worried about not having a partner if I was lifting freeweights, mainly presses, flys, etc... which is why I was going more towards cable, and because they're usually open a lot more than the benches at the place I go to. As for getting 'huge' of course it wouldn't be an accident, but I guess I was thinking more along the lines of a program not based on increasing mass as I go along, vs. maintaining decent tone.

I'm immersing in reading on the nutrition forum, trying to sift through...

Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Thanx for the reply- I agree that less is more right now, so that just has to happen. I was only worried about not having a partner if I was lifting freeweights, mainly presses, flys, etc... which is why I was going more towards cable, and because they're usually open a lot more than the benches at the place I go to. As for getting 'huge' of course it wouldn't be an accident, but I guess I was thinking more along the lines of a program not based on increasing mass as I go along, vs. maintaining decent tone.

I'm immersing in reading on the nutrition forum, trying to sift through...
    First of all a military press is a strict standing overhead barbell press with your heels together. Now, for a regular old standing overhead press why the hell would having a spotter matter?

"Tone" is a matter of bodyfat (have less) and muscle (have more)

Bench presses, either flat or incline, usually have a spotter, no? I'm not going to nitpick, I don't know everything about this yet, I'm just trying to inform myself better.

AlbionOakley is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlbionOakley is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlbionOakley is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlbionOakley is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlbionOakley is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlbionOakley is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlbionOakley is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlbionOakley is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlbionOakley is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlbionOakley is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlbionOakley is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I was in your boat 18 months ago and just ate healthier and hit the gym . DOnt fanny about with machines though I did that and it was a waste of time. Just do starting strength but dont eat a calorie surplus (you will stall quicker but wont gain weight significantly) and hit the cardio as hard as you can on off days. Hope this helps.

Starting strength sounds like your best bet weights wise , the exercises involved are compound (full body lifts) and will save you time. Dont worry about a spotter till things get challenging, I have been on SS for 5 weeks and have ramped up my lifts a lot without having to be spotted once. If your worried bench in the power rack with catcher bars there if you need them.

Bench presses, either flat or incline, usually have a spotter, no?
    Usually? No. IME most of the time most people bench without a spotter.

Yes, there are times a spotter is called for on the bench press. However:

1. You don't need a workout partner to get a spot

2. You can bench without a spotter

3. The bench is ONE exercise. One. And not the most important one.

danrock101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ...s!
    I'm in a similar situation, the main thing is to get into gradually, don't worry about suplements at this stage. I'd recomend finding someone to go with to the gym with similar targets, makes it much more fun and interesting!
    Last edited by danrock101; 07-12-2011 at 03:20 PM. Reason: removing quote