wazza has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wazza has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wazza has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wazza has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wazza has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wazza has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wazza has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Hernia - HELP PLEASE

I know this is the pic section but most people are in this area and this might catch someones attention!
    A question and help. Has anyone ever had a Spigelian Hernia?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spigelian_hernia
    If you have, has it affected your gym workout after the surgery?

I have been gyming for a while now and loving it but hurt my back a few weeks back while having a personal training session. My back has healed but then noticed a lump on my left side of my abs. Went to the hospital and was told that I have the above Hernia which needs to be corrected. It is a simple operation but a long recovery period. I am so frustrated as I cannot gym or do anything till it is corrected.

Your response would be appreciated.
    Wazza

5'11 (1.8m)
    83.1kg (183 lb)

"You cannot acquire experience by making experiments. You cannot create experience. You must undergo it."

Tucdaddy is just really nice. (+1000) Tucdaddy is just really nice. (+1000) Tucdaddy is just really nice. (+1000) Tucdaddy is just really nice. (+1000) Tucdaddy is just really nice. (+1000) Tucdaddy is just really nice. (+1000) Tucdaddy is just really nice. (+1000) Tucdaddy is just really nice. (+1000) Tucdaddy is just really nice. (+1000) Tucdaddy is just really nice. (+1000) Tucdaddy is just really nice. (+1000)
    Sorry to hear that man. I've never heard of anyone actually having a spigelian hernia. Was it diagnosed in the ER by an ER doc, or by a surgeon? Also, think you could post a pic of it? I'm also recovering from an injury and unable to lift, so I feel your pain and frustration over not being able to hit the gym. Good luck.

wazza has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wazza has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wazza has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wazza has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wazza has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wazza has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wazza has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yes it was diagnosed by a surgent in the ER at Kingston Hospital in UK.

I have spoken to a few people about other Hernia's etc and the recoevery period can be up to 2-3 months, given how big the Hernia is etc. I am just concerned that I will not be able to gym like I use to.

Attached is a pic and if you look to the left of my hip you can see the lump!

Be kind with the pic!
    Attached Images
    Wazza

5'11 (1.8m)
    83.1kg (183 lb)

"You cannot acquire experience by making experiments. You cannot create experience. You must undergo it."

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Tucdaddy View Post
    Sorry to hear that man. I've never heard of anyone actually having a spigelian hernia. Was it diagnosed in the ER by an ER doc, or by a surgeon? Also, think you could post a pic of it? I'm also recovering from an injury and unable to lift, so I feel your pain and frustration over not being able to hit the gym. Good luck.
    Dude sorry but I was going to say sorry to hear about your injury as well. What happened?

Thanks for the response. Dam I am angry with myself at the moment. I put a long time into reading and been health and this happens. Lets hope it all works out in the end.

Regards

Wazza
    Wazza

5'11 (1.8m)
    83.1kg (183 lb)

Tucdaddy is just really nice. (+1000) Tucdaddy is just really nice. (+1000) Tucdaddy is just really nice. (+1000) Tucdaddy is just really nice. (+1000) Tucdaddy is just really nice. (+1000) Tucdaddy is just really nice. (+1000) Tucdaddy is just really nice. (+1000) Tucdaddy is just really nice. (+1000) Tucdaddy is just really nice. (+1000) Tucdaddy is just really nice. (+1000) Tucdaddy is just really nice. (+1000)
    Yea...I can see the lump. I injured myself following a new program in M&F. It well for about 3 wks until I believe I hyperextended my left elbow doing heavy bench press. It hurts constantly now, and Im unable to lift my upper body at all for the past week and a half. I wouldn't be too hard on yourself as it was probably unpreventable. Chances are you were probably born with a small defect in the abdominal wall fascia that made you more prone to hernias. Nothing you could have done differently. It'll all work out in the end. You just might have to adjust your workouts around your injury as you heal. Best of luck with the surgery!

.Sunny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) .Sunny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) .Sunny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) .Sunny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You'll need 2 months of so just to err on the safe side.

Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Not all hernias are dangerous. I have one. I don't know if it would be classified as a spigelian but I have had it since I was little. I actually had it repaired once but it ruptured again. When I asked my doctor about it, he said it is only a problem if it either grows or becomes painful which it never has.
    Even with competitive powerlifting and hardcore training, it has never changed in the slightest.
    You can see it clearly in THIS PIC right above my navel.
    Obviously you should go with the advice of your doctor but you may want to get more than one opinion. I did and each doctor (three in total) diagnosed it the same way which gave me peace of mind.
    Retired strongwoman and powerlifter. Now living for God!
    www.ausdisciples.com

* My posts prior to Nov 2008 do not reflect my new-found faith in Christ. I became Christian in Nov 2008.

Originally Posted by Titania View Post
    Not all hernias are dangerous. I have one. I don't know if it would be classified as a spigelian but I have had it since I was little. I actually had it repaired once but it ruptured again. When I asked my doctor about it, he said it is only a problem if it either grows or becomes painful which it never has.
    Even with competitive powerlifting and hardcore training, it has never changed in the slightest.
    You can see it clearly in THIS PIC right above my navel.
    Obviously you should go with the advice of your doctor but you may want to get more than one opinion. I did and each doctor (three in total) diagnosed it the same way which gave me peace of mind.
    It looks like you have a peri-umbilical hernia.

Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Tucdaddy View Post
    It looks like you have a peri-umbilical hernia.
    Is that what you call it? I'm happy as long as it stays as it is!!
    Retired strongwoman and powerlifter. Now living for God!
    www.ausdisciples.com

* My posts prior to Nov 2008 do not reflect my new-found faith in Christ. I became Christian in Nov 2008.

Angelo Vertigo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Angelo Vertigo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Angelo Vertigo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Angelo Vertigo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Angelo Vertigo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Angelo Vertigo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Angelo Vertigo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Angelo Vertigo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Angelo Vertigo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Angelo Vertigo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Angelo Vertigo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I'm gonna go a little off-topic here but no way in hell that you're at 10% bf

Smile Thanks

Titania, Tucdaddy, .sunny thanks for the comments and advice. I have been quite concerned about this but decided last night that these things happen to the best of us. I have to realise that I need to take 2-3 months off and recover.

Angelo Vertigo - comment noted; thanks for input!

Later peeps

Wazza
    Wazza

5'11 (1.8m)
    83.1kg (183 lb)

Do it or don't do it... tomdana's Avatar
    tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    These hernias pose the biggest risk as intestines can herniate through the very small hole and then with the natural blood flow under the pressure of the heart beating can engorge the intestine but the passive flow of blood out of the intestine is blocked by the hernia's small size. This results in the herniated tissue swelling to the point that blood flow in is limited and it is thus deprived of oxygen and dies.

I am a pediatrician and have a pt who is a powerlifter at 16 who is quite good and he had one that was repaired and was back at about 6-8 weeks after the repair which is typically very straight forward. The next season he was right back at the competitive level he had the prior year when the hernia was discovered.

Good luck

SRmoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I had an inguinal hernia operated on when i was 16, it took me about 6 weeks to recover...I have had no problems what so ever since then

losinweight22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Wazza, I read your thread and I was interested.... Could you tell me more about this hernia? what were the symptoms?... I ask because every since last summer I have had something weird going on, but it isnt painful, and isn't persistent, but I am starting to get nervous. I find that when I twist a certain way, or stand up after previously bending over, I feel a "twinge" type feeling, and a Jolt. I can't really describe it any more clearly then that. It lasts a split second and goes away. At first I feel the twinge in the left side of my abdomen, and then ill feel a sort of "jolt" in my back, and sometimes down my leg. I don't think it is urgent, and I plan on seeing a doctor in the near future, but I was wondering if anyone else out there has had these symptoms... If you would like to, PM me... Thanks!

losinweight22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    bump.... anyone?

SupraToWRX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SupraToWRX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SupraToWRX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SupraToWRX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SupraToWRX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SupraToWRX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SupraToWRX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SupraToWRX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SupraToWRX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SupraToWRX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SupraToWRX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Several years ago I had an inguinal hernia, which was basically a tear in my lower abdominal wall in the groin area where you get the V taper. The bulge I had was basically my intestines pushing through the tear. I had to get surgery on it, but it's supposedly one of the easiest surgeries to perform. It happened in the summer time when I was weight lifting and working at a restaurant carrying heavy trays. After the surgery, I took about a month off from lifting anything, then returned to work and started back up with lighter weights in the gym and worked my way back up to strength.

benjamin0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjamin0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjamin0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjamin0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjamin0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjamin0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjamin0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjamin0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjamin0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjamin0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjamin0 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i had that exact hernia when I was 17. mine was veyr painful. I don't know if yours was or not. I was doing some VERY intense sets of Reverse Crunches and then a got this SHearing ripping/popping sensation on my 2nd ab from the bottom on my left side. I was a very low BF at the time (10ish, and a real 10, not like your pic claims). I curled inot a ball on the floor an couldn't move for like 5 minutes. When I finally lifted up my shirt to check, one of my ab was poking out almost 2 inches. it looked like a little brick just sitting on the surface. One of the most painful experienced i have ever had (and I have broken more bones than most people have teeth).

Fortunately for me, they didn't want to operate (no clue why) and thought I was young enough that it would heal itself. It did eventually subside, but i was out of the gym for more than 2 months.

Nowadays, it still bothers me, 4 years later. I CANNOT push myslef on abs, or weird things happen. Fortunately, abs are not one of those muscles that need to grow immensely in size, but just deifinition. So i only train them as much as I need to to ballance out my back gains.

Oh, and my ROM is weird now. Once I hit a certain point when cruching or anything of the sort, i lean off to the right, as my left is a bit weakened.

Don't want to sacre you, but that has been my experience. I don't even know it is there unless I am working on abs though, and even then i don't usually notice it.
    "Rather the pain of discipline, than the pain of regret."

BScKin - UNB
    Doctor of Chiropractic in Training - Palmer College of Chiropractic WEST

blitzdn is on a distinguished road. (+10) blitzdn is on a distinguished road. (+10) blitzdn is on a distinguished road. (+10) blitzdn is on a distinguished road. (+10) blitzdn is on a distinguished road. (+10) blitzdn is on a distinguished road. (+10) blitzdn is on a distinguished road. (+10) blitzdn is on a distinguished road. (+10) blitzdn is on a distinguished road. (+10) blitzdn is on a distinguished road. (+10) blitzdn is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I JUST got over an inguinal hernia operation, I was out for 2 months before surgery, 3 weeks after. I just started abs again, and have yet to do legs. One more week and I'll pick up legs again. The best advice I can give is after the surgery, take it slow, especially with the ab/leg exercises.
    Good luck with it

Do it or don't do it... tomdana's Avatar
    tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    To Benjuito above, if you are still having pain from the hernia it is still a potential and very real danger to you. I am a pediatrician and all the pediatric surgery literature recommends to repair these early as they have a potential for the intestine to herniate and not reduce, and ultimately the intestine dies. This is a mess and can get you in the ICU in shock or even death from sepsis. I don't want to alarm you, though would recommend getting it repaired. It is not urgent though if it bulges out again and you cannot readily push it back in, it is an emergency. I have kids that I discover have this type of hernia at age 4 and 5 and we fix them this young. Take care and good luck.

buckest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) buckest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) buckest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) buckest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) buckest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) buckest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) buckest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) buckest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I had this hernia operation 13 months ago, it is a sure month to 2 months off everything, and a very slow process of getting back into workouts fully. Until about 6 months you will not be close to 100%, and there will be a number of exercises that you can not perform, dealifts, squats, almost any legs basically, or anything major that concerns your midsection. After the 6 months you should be able to get back into things but slowly, this injury can come back and if it tears again, it will not be pretty. I am now fully confindent of myself, and never even consider the hernia, but it did weigh in on my mind for the first year, i was always very cautious not to screw it up again. It would not be worth it in the long run, 6months to a year sound like a long time, but i am now back into it 100% and when I am older i will look back at it as a very small bump in the road, and be glad i didnt gamble.
    "Check your ego at the door."

Threlience is on a distinguished road. (+10) Threlience is on a distinguished road. (+10) Threlience is on a distinguished road. (+10) Threlience is on a distinguished road. (+10) Threlience is on a distinguished road. (+10) Threlience is on a distinguished road. (+10) Threlience is on a distinguished road. (+10) Threlience is on a distinguished road. (+10) Threlience is on a distinguished road. (+10) Threlience is on a distinguished road. (+10) Threlience is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I had an inguinal hernia as well. I was down for about 3 weeks. Only bad thing now really is the scar left behind. Its right on the lower abs and bothers the heck out of me.
    OIF 07-08
    OEF 09-10

LEO

Smile

Originally Posted by buckest View Post
    I had this hernia operation 13 months ago, it is a sure month to 2 months off everything, and a very slow process of getting back into workouts fully. Until about 6 months you will not be close to 100%, and there will be a number of exercises that you can not perform, dealifts, squats, almost any legs basically, or anything major that concerns your midsection. After the 6 months you should be able to get back into things but slowly, this injury can come back and if it tears again, it will not be pretty. I am now fully confindent of myself, and never even consider the hernia, but it did weigh in on my mind for the first year, i was always very cautious not to screw it up again. It would not be worth it in the long run, 6months to a year sound like a long time, but i am now back into it 100% and when I am older i will look back at it as a very small bump in the road, and be glad i didnt gamble.
    Would like to thank everyone who took the time to write on my thread. Your advice is much appreciated!
    I have just come back from South Africa and while I was there I saw my GP who explained a few things to me. I have my hospital appointment tomorrow morning at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital. I am quite nervous and hope that all will go well. Please do send some good thoughts my way.
    I am quite sad that I will not be able to do any gym for a while but my health comes first I guess.
    Over and out for a while.
    Wazza
    Wazza

5'11 (1.8m)
    83.1kg (183 lb)