Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

    The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

Reply
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Registered User robocopz's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2011
    Stats: 249 lbs
    Posts: 54
    Rep Power: 4
    robocopz is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit robocopz's BodySpace
    robocopz is offline

    Best way for me to shred the fat but maintain muscle mass

    Hey guys,

    So, I've got some body fat to lose. I want to lose about 10 kg. Now, my routine for about a year now has been:

    Mondays: Weights (my weight training consisted of entire upper body, heavy lifting, 3 sets per exercise, staggered sets of 6/8/10 reps. Heavy enough weight that it causes fail/almost failure in the last couple reps. Increased weight every 4-6 weeks once it wasn't pushing me anymore)
    Tuesdays: Cardio
    Wednesdays: Weights
    Thursdays: Cardio
    Fridays: Weights
    Weekends: Rest

    Now, I know I should have cut a heap of fat first before gaining muscle, but I didn't, so shoot me. I am happy with the lean muscle mass I've gained, the muscle is noticeable but I've still got way too much fat on me and want to cut that down so I actually look really good and not just like a chubby guy with muscle underneath. Now here's where I'd like some input.

    Basically, I want to lose a bunch of weight and I don't care what strength I lose, I can always get that back, but I want to go about it in a way that I don't go catabolic and lose the muscle I've worked hard to get, or at least minimise the muscle loss. I'm looking for any tips that may help. My diet is fairly good, very high in protein, basically hardly any carbs through the day and moderate amounts with dinner 70% of the time. I've just picked up a container of L-Carnitine tablets, and am wondering if this kind of change to my workout routine would help burn the fat, not really build any more muscle but not lose it either:

    Mondays - Cardio
    Tuesdays - Weights (This time however, lower the weight I lift and instead do 3 sets of 15? The weights part are where I need help the most)
    Wednesdays - Cardio
    Thursdays - Weights
    Fridays - Cardio


    So basically in a nutshell, I want to start losing as much fat as I can, without losing any/minimal lean muscle mass, and I don't care what strength I lose in the process, I'll build it back afterwards.

    I am going to thank you all SO much in advance for any help I can get!
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Registered User iTONYdahTIGER's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2011
    Age: 28
    Posts: 2
    Rep Power: 0
    iTONYdahTIGER will become famous soon enough. (+50) iTONYdahTIGER will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    iTONYdahTIGER is offline
    I have the same exact problem!
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    "boulder shoulders" fade2green514's Avatar
    Join Date: May 2008
    Location: New York, United States
    Age: 25
    Stats: 5'10", 201 lbs
    Posts: 1,562
    Rep Power: 84
    fade2green514 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) fade2green514 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) fade2green514 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) fade2green514 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) fade2green514 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) fade2green514 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) fade2green514 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) fade2green514 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) fade2green514 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) fade2green514 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) fade2green514 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Visit fade2green514's BodySpace
    fade2green514 is offline
    what are your stats? you dont just go ahead and lose weight. to shed the extra fat, sometimes the easiest way is to build up more muscle. im 175 pounds and i feel like a little guy compared to others in this forum
    "pain is weakness leaving the body"

    "hunger builds character"

    progress pics:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=703026411#post703026411
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Registered User samsont's Avatar
    Join Date: May 2008
    Location: Pompano Beach, Florida, United States
    Stats: 5'8", 233 lbs
    Posts: 4,988
    Rep Power: 4308
    samsont has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) samsont has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) samsont has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) samsont has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) samsont has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) samsont has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) samsont has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) samsont has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) samsont has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) samsont has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) samsont has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit samsont's BodySpace
    samsont is offline
    lift lift lift lift lift lift lift. never stop lifting.

    if you truly wanted to maintain all muscle mass, you'd just dial in your diet and lift. forget cardio.
    New training log + home gym build http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157757733


    Goal: pull 500 before year is over.
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Registered User Astrex2301's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2010
    Age: 26
    Posts: 13
    Rep Power: 0
    Astrex2301 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Astrex2301 is offline
    It's all down to diet, I only work out 3 times a week but my diet is in check.
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    Registered User qstebom's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2011
    Age: 29
    Posts: 19
    Rep Power: 0
    qstebom will become famous soon enough. (+50) qstebom will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    qstebom is offline
    My 2 cents are that there are two options:
    (1) Loose fast -> Loose muscle
    (2) Loose steady -> Retain muscle

    Below 8% BF or so, I would say the only thing you can do is option 2.

    For countering the muscle breakdown there are options, such anti-catabolic supplements and intermittent fasting (for increasing the hGH). However, the effectiveness of these are controversial.
    Reply With Quote

  7. #7
    Registered User Dawginit's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2008
    Location: Athens, Georgia, United States
    Stats: 5'7", 182 lbs
    Posts: 344
    Rep Power: 163
    Dawginit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dawginit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dawginit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dawginit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dawginit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dawginit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dawginit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dawginit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dawginit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dawginit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dawginit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit Dawginit's BodySpace
    Dawginit is offline
    It's all about your diet. Bodybuilding is really about 70% diet.

    1. Keep lifting heavy. Cardio looks good.
    2. Cut your calories to about 2000 a day (depends on your size).
    3. EAT CLEAN! If you will eat (almost) only meat and veggies you will lean out.
    4. Make sure you are getting your protien. 1 g per pound of bodyweight as a minimum.


    It wouldn't hurt to try one of the regimented strength programs to force forward progress in your lifting.

    Focus ou your diet. Get on fitday.com and record every meal. Once you track your calories, it is easier to see what you are doing wrong.

    Good luck!












    Originally Posted by robocopz View Post
    Hey guys,

    So, I've got some body fat to lose. I want to lose about 10 kg. Now, my routine for about a year now has been:

    Mondays: Weights (my weight training consisted of entire upper body, heavy lifting, 3 sets per exercise, staggered sets of 6/8/10 reps. Heavy enough weight that it causes fail/almost failure in the last couple reps. Increased weight every 4-6 weeks once it wasn't pushing me anymore)
    Tuesdays: Cardio
    Wednesdays: Weights
    Thursdays: Cardio
    Fridays: Weights
    Weekends: Rest

    Now, I know I should have cut a heap of fat first before gaining muscle, but I didn't, so shoot me. I am happy with the lean muscle mass I've gained, the muscle is noticeable but I've still got way too much fat on me and want to cut that down so I actually look really good and not just like a chubby guy with muscle underneath. Now here's where I'd like some input.

    Basically, I want to lose a bunch of weight and I don't care what strength I lose, I can always get that back, but I want to go about it in a way that I don't go catabolic and lose the muscle I've worked hard to get, or at least minimise the muscle loss. I'm looking for any tips that may help. My diet is fairly good, very high in protein, basically hardly any carbs through the day and moderate amounts with dinner 70% of the time. I've just picked up a container of L-Carnitine tablets, and am wondering if this kind of change to my workout routine would help burn the fat, not really build any more muscle but not lose it either:

    Mondays - Cardio
    Tuesdays - Weights (This time however, lower the weight I lift and instead do 3 sets of 15? The weights part are where I need help the most)
    Wednesdays - Cardio
    Thursdays - Weights
    Fridays - Cardio


    So basically in a nutshell, I want to start losing as much fat as I can, without losing any/minimal lean muscle mass, and I don't care what strength I lose in the process, I'll build it back afterwards.

    I am going to thank you all SO much in advance for any help I can get!
    "All things are difficult before they are easy."
    Reply With Quote

  8. #8
    Registered User madmatty69's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2009
    Age: 31
    Stats: 5'5", 167 lbs
    Posts: 7
    Rep Power: 0
    madmatty69 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit madmatty69's BodySpace
    madmatty69 is offline

    A little off topic over here

    I too am in the same boat and have found that its all diet. Everywhere I read its diet this diet that. I hope that helps reiterate what people like Dawginit has said.

    Anyways, in hopes that people who come across this thread and look at my response and help me with a small problem. I want what every other stooge wants and thats get stronger with less fat. I dont care for the quick fixes. But I would like an opinion on what I should do.
    I am a slighty chunky 175 5 foot 5 small guy with some decent strength.
    (bench 215lbs, deadlift 200lbs, squats 285lbs) I would say I have about 19% body fat so not too much but I would like to get down to the lower teens.
    I am going to school right now for a couple months and then getting tossed into construction right afterward. As of right now my plan is to take this opportunity to bulk up as much as possible and then once work begins i will begin to "cut" down. But I was wondering if there were any suggestions of what I can do to build muscle while trimming the fat?
    I just read I should be eating 40% protien 40% carb 20% fat. I am close to that but not a 100% so I will implement that factor.
    I am lifting 4 days a week with a non religious cardio 2 days a week(*cardio will change to a firm 2 days unless suggested otherwise).
    Reply With Quote

  9. #9
    Registered User robocopz's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2011
    Stats: 249 lbs
    Posts: 54
    Rep Power: 4
    robocopz is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit robocopz's BodySpace
    robocopz is offline
    Thanks for the input so far guys. So you reckon I should just maintain my current routine but just be very mindful of my diet while maintaining a very high protein intake?

    I am probably between 25/30% body fat (yeah I know, gross) and although the fat is coming off slowly, I just find my 'weight' not really going down due to the rate I increase muscle mass underneath.

    So should I be keeping my routine as it is? Or make a slight modification and maybe cut it down to two weights sessions a week, two cardio and one kettlebell cardio? (my kettlebell circuits are a combination of some of the hardest cardio I've ever done, that also work every muscle group)

    Or should I just keep going strong as I have been, get very restrictive of my diet, and watch the fat slowly but surely burn away as my metabolism increases as I build more muscle?
    Reply With Quote

  10. #10
    Registered User robocopz's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2011
    Stats: 249 lbs
    Posts: 54
    Rep Power: 4
    robocopz is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit robocopz's BodySpace
    robocopz is offline
    Oh and for those asking for my stats, well, I am 189 cm tall, weigh 125 kilos. I am currently:

    Benching 95 kg
    Single arm Bicep Curling 22.5 kg
    Tricep Pulldown max (level 20) on cable machine - apologies I don't know the actual weight value of the levels on the machines
    Shoulder pressing level 10 on the should press machine
    Standing row 50 kg with barbell
    trap/shoulder pull ups with barbell 50 kg
    Reply With Quote

  11. #11
    Fulkmaster Flex nlite2000's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2011
    Age: 30
    Stats: 6'1", 200 lbs
    Posts: 7,337
    Rep Power: 2080
    nlite2000 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) nlite2000 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) nlite2000 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) nlite2000 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) nlite2000 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) nlite2000 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) nlite2000 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) nlite2000 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) nlite2000 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) nlite2000 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) nlite2000 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit nlite2000's BodySpace
    nlite2000 is offline
    Originally Posted by robocopz View Post
    Thanks for the input so far guys. So you reckon I should just maintain my current routine but just be very mindful of my diet while maintaining a very high protein intake?

    I am probably between 25/30% body fat (yeah I know, gross) and although the fat is coming off slowly, I just find my 'weight' not really going down due to the rate I increase muscle mass underneath.

    So should I be keeping my routine as it is? Or make a slight modification and maybe cut it down to two weights sessions a week, two cardio and one kettlebell cardio? (my kettlebell circuits are a combination of some of the hardest cardio I've ever done, that also work every muscle group)

    Or should I just keep going strong as I have been, get very restrictive of my diet, and watch the fat slowly but surely burn away as my metabolism increases as I build more muscle?
    Your routine looks good either way. People have mixed feelings about cardio, and they should because there are many confounders, but the fact is, there's a reason people do it. And it's just something that fit people do. So, if an obese person tells you to forget cardio, feel free to trust your own judgement.
    Reply With Quote

  12. #12
    Banned umadjelly's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2010
    Age: 23
    Stats: 5'11", 174 lbs
    Posts: 4,405
    Rep Power: 0
    umadjelly has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) umadjelly has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) umadjelly has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) umadjelly has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) umadjelly has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) umadjelly has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) umadjelly has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) umadjelly has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) umadjelly has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) umadjelly has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) umadjelly has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Visit umadjelly's BodySpace
    umadjelly is offline
    Originally Posted by Dawginit View Post
    It's all about your diet. Bodybuilding is really about 70% diet.

    1. Keep lifting heavy. Cardio looks good.
    2. Cut your calories to about 2000 a day (depends on your size).
    3. EAT CLEAN! If you will eat (almost) only meat and veggies you will lean out.
    4. Make sure you are getting your protien. 1 g per pound of bodyweight as a minimum.


    It wouldn't hurt to try one of the regimented strength programs to force forward progress in your lifting.

    Focus ou your diet. Get on fitday.com and record every meal. Once you track your calories, it is easier to see what you are doing wrong.

    Good luck!
    Fuuu been looking for that site, reps!
    Reply With Quote

  13. #13
    Registered User robocopz's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2011
    Stats: 249 lbs
    Posts: 54
    Rep Power: 4
    robocopz is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit robocopz's BodySpace
    robocopz is offline
    Ok so in terms of protein intake, normally on weights days I have a protein shake w/ water an hour before workout, one straight after, and another before bed. Then on cardio days I usually only have one for breakfast and maybe one for lunch. All with water.

    So for me to be having 1g/protein per pound of weight, should I be having like maybe closer to 5 shakes a day, yet still modifying what else I'm eating to stick to around the 2000 calorie mark?
    Reply With Quote

  14. #14
    Registered User LiftToSurvive's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2011
    Age: 21
    Stats: 6'2", 161 lbs
    Posts: 14
    Rep Power: 0
    LiftToSurvive will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Visit LiftToSurvive's BodySpace
    LiftToSurvive is offline
    No, don't do 5 shakes a day. Try to get your protein from other food sources. Usually, 3 shakes a day max.
    Reply With Quote

  15. #15
    Cardio NickCaissey's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2007
    Location: Fitchburg, Massachusetts, United States
    Age: 25
    Stats: 5'11", 273 lbs
    Posts: 250
    BodyPoints: 4856
    Rep Power: 33
    NickCaissey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NickCaissey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NickCaissey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NickCaissey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NickCaissey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NickCaissey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NickCaissey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NickCaissey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NickCaissey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NickCaissey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NickCaissey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Visit NickCaissey's BodySpace
    NickCaissey is offline
    Like previously stated;
    It all comes down to your diet, dieting doesn't mean eating nothing but salad, etc. Diet as in, eat right. Eat what you need to build muscle and keep down the fat and with your workout routine you will see results if your workout routine and diet coexist in your lifestyle.
    I've been lifting lately just to maintain but my diet has been so sloppy and I have seen poor results. Diet, diet, diet. That's what it comes down to in the end.
    Never Quit,
    Stay Fit.
    Reply With Quote

  16. #16
    Registered User robocopz's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2011
    Stats: 249 lbs
    Posts: 54
    Rep Power: 4
    robocopz is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit robocopz's BodySpace
    robocopz is offline
    Ok cool, well my diet through the day is basically just fruit and tuna aside from the shakes, occasionally some eggs. So I guess my protein intake is ok. I think my main problem is saying no to the alcohol haha.
    Reply With Quote

Reply

Similar Threads

  1. best way for a femaile to burn fat in the gym
    By joeyjoe3 in forum Female Bodybuilding
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-03-2009, 09:50 PM
  2. what is the best way for ME to loose body fat?
    By clintonsparks in forum Losing Fat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-27-2009, 07:30 AM
  3. Best plan for losing 5 pounds of fat while gaining muscle?
    By Talionis in forum Workout Programs
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-01-2008, 02:29 PM
  4. Losing body fat, but gain muscle mass
    By AndrewR.1988 in forum Teen Bodybuilding
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-19-2007, 05:32 PM
  5. Training to lose fat and maintain muscle mass
    By Helene in forum Training
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-13-2006, 01:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Home Store Products Careers Help Contact Us Terms of Use Checkout