MrOnePak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrOnePak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrOnePak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrOnePak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrOnePak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrOnePak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrOnePak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrOnePak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrOnePak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrOnePak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrOnePak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Pre-Workout meal/shake during fat loss phase?

Hi Guys

Rookie here so some level of sillyness will accompany this thread ;-).

I've lost about 20 lbs now (mainly cos of my HIT cardio+low cal intake). Still got 20-25 lbs to go before I reach my target around 180lbs.

The thing is I'm far from a solid build even after a month into this (with dedication). And my main prob is I hardly do any heavy lifting. My stamina on the treadmill has definitely gone up to a point where I can come home after work on 1200 cals and still do a 30min cardio.

Now when it comes to lifting (btw, I workout from home in my so called office gym), on most days, I hardly complete the full sets and cover up with more cardio. My main prob is I don't seem to have strength at the end of the day to do any heavy kinda lifting whatsoever :-(.

Is the strength weakness a sign of too low cal/protein intake during the day? Should I start taking a pre-workout meal or drink (I'm thinking maybe a shake of ground oatmeal, 1 scoop whey mixed in water??) ??

My fat loss has also grown harder where it takes a lot of dedication to even move the scale by a couple of pounds a week. I'm thinking maybe heavy lifting will offset this mixed with my strong cardio.

Right now, my diet is something like this:

-Breakfast ==> Plain Greek yogurt with cut apples+1 teaspoon brown sugar
    - Coffee (black with 1 teaspoon creamer)
    - 2 caps fish oil

10am==> One can of V8 vegie juice

Lunch ==> Fresh cut chicken slices with lettuce+cucumbers+spinach+teaspoon of olive oil
    -Apple

Dinner ==> Med sized bowl of Chic curry or lamb stew, curtesy of wife
    - 1 scoop of whey mixed with tall glass of cold water with dinner

I throw in occasional mixed nuts or almonds during the day and drink 2-3 cups of green tea along with at least 50oz of water (with lemon slices).

I have 2 cheat meals in the weekend (consume my beloved rice and pasta for Sat night dinner and then pancake for breakfast). No cardio/exercise in the weekends.

Sorry for the long post...just wanted to give out all the facts beforehand.

Thoughts?

Thanks and appreciated.
    -Sandeep
    Fatloss Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135445321

Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by MrOnePak View Post
    Hi Guys

Rookie here so some level of sillyness will accompany this thread ;-).

I've lost about 20 lbs now (mainly cos of my HIT cardio+low cal intake). Still got 20-25 lbs to go before I reach my target around 180lbs.

The thing is I'm far from a solid build even after a month into this (with dedication). And my main prob is I hardly do any heavy lifting. My stamina on the treadmill has definitely gone up to a point where I can come home after work on 1200 cals and still do a 30min cardio.

Now when it comes to lifting (btw, I workout from home in my so called office gym), on most days, I hardly complete the full sets and cover up with more cardio. My main prob is I don't seem to have strength at the end of the day to do any heavy kinda lifting whatsoever :-(.

Is the strength weakness a sign of too low cal/protein intake during the day? Should I start taking a pre-workout meal or drink (I'm thinking maybe a shake of ground oatmeal, 1 scoop whey mixed in water??) ??

My fat loss has also grown harder where it takes a lot of dedication to even move the scale by a couple of pounds a week. I'm thinking maybe heavy lifting will offset this mixed with my strong cardio.

Right now, my diet is something like this:

-Breakfast ==> Plain Greek yogurt with cut apples+1 teaspoon brown sugar
    - Coffee (black with 1 teaspoon creamer)
    - 2 caps fish oil

10am==> One can of V8 vegie juice

Lunch ==> Fresh cut chicken slices with lettuce+cucumbers+spinach+teaspoon of olive oil
    -Apple

Dinner ==> Med sized bowl of Chic curry or lamb stew, curtesy of wife
    - 1 scoop of whey mixed with tall glass of cold water with dinner

I throw in occasional mixed nuts or almonds during the day and drink 2-3 cups of green tea along with at least 50oz of water (with lemon slices).

I have 2 cheat meals in the weekend (consume my beloved rice and pasta for Sat night dinner and then pancake for breakfast). No cardio/exercise in the weekends.

Sorry for the long post...just wanted to give out all the facts beforehand.

Thoughts?

Thanks and appreciated.
    -Sandeep

Are you saying you are 198lbs and eating 1200 cals a day (in total), or 1200 a day before your last meal.
    If you poke a bear in the eye, expect a bear like response.

OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Who told you that you should be consuming 1200 calories a day?

MrOnePak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrOnePak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrOnePak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrOnePak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrOnePak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrOnePak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrOnePak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrOnePak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrOnePak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrOnePak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrOnePak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Brackneyc View Post
    Are you saying you are 198lbs and eating 1200 cals a day (in total), or 1200 a day before your last meal.
    Ah..sorry...1200 prior to dinner.

According to fitday logs, I'm averaging approx 1800 cals.
    Fatloss Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135445321

Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by MrOnePak View Post
    Ah..sorry...1200 prior to dinner.

According to fitday logs, I'm averaging approx 1800 cals.
    Still seems way too low. There are a lot more knowledgeable people here than me, but one thing is for sure....to lose weight, you are going to need to eat more.

Read this thread, and then read the stickies about nutrition.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=136129821
    If you poke a bear in the eye, expect a bear like response.

pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hey Pal,

There are a coupe of plain sense "formulas" you are going to have to consider when it comes to weight loss and fueling your workouts.

The first one is that if you burn more calories than you take in, you will lose weight. That will never change. However, if you eat at too large a deficit, your body will lose not only fat, but it will lose lean mass (muscle). If you lose muscle, you will lose performance strength.

If you want to work out with energy and strength, you need to have glucose in your body to fuel your workouts. Your body creates and stores glucose from food. If you eat too litte food, your readily available glucose and your glucose stores are low. Without energy in the muscles, the muscles don't work well. Another thing to consider is that to build muscle, you need ample protein.

Since you are eating such a caloric deficit, you are having trouble fueling your workouts. Additionally, you are burning muscle rather than building it.

The key is to burn fat, and not necessarily weight. To do this, you are going to have to up your protein intake, and eat good nutrient dense foods. If you are using a tool ike Fit Day, try owering the weight loss goal to something like .5 pounds a week and see if that gives you more insight into how much food you should be eating.

As was mentioned, you can read the stickies and search the articles for more info.

Bottom line though, you need to fuel the workouts.

Ray
    Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven... so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. Matt. 6: 1-4

BrazenApparel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Anything recommended for weight loss while recovering from injury where you cant work out?

kairee will become famous soon enough. (+50) kairee will become famous soon enough. (+50) kairee will become famous soon enough. (+50) kairee will become famous soon enough. (+50) kairee will become famous soon enough. (+50) kairee will become famous soon enough. (+50) kairee will become famous soon enough. (+50) kairee will become famous soon enough. (+50) kairee will become famous soon enough. (+50) kairee will become famous soon enough. (+50) kairee will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ok fella....first thing first. Cardio. You're doing way too much bro. Cardio will effect your bodies ability to build muscle and in most situations (especially bouts of HIIT) you'll lose muscle mass. Lets break this down somewhat....

Lets take the exercise component and shift it aside for now...

Diet. This is the key component to any successful weight loss program. Use your diet specifically to lose weight. Find out what your Metabolic Rate is (based on your age, weight etc) and once you have that figure, tailor your diet around it. Take in less calories than your body needs. Bam, you lose weight. Take in more calories your body needs...wack! you put on weight. Simple. Weight loss needs to be slow though so don't overly cut your calories. Water and plenty of it. Pay close attention to your macros of your food. Protein needs to be high and needs to come in all of your main meals. Carbs med/high on training days and low on rest days. Remember, the key to losing weight is directly through your diet. Don't use exercise to do that.

Now, lets bring the exercise component back in. Weight training. Vital. You need to be lifting and lifting heavy, intense but keep the workouts short (no more than an hour) focus on compound exercises, at least 3 times a week. You need to be getting 2 things outta of this. 1 - Maintain your lean muscle mass or 2 - build new muscle mass. That's it, nothing else. The cardio component you can keep in there but limit that right down to once or twice a week and stay away from HIIT bro. People use cardio to burn extra calories but take it too far thinking that cardio is the be all and end all of a successful weight loss program which it isn't.
    RIP Zyzz

SoulCatcher78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SoulCatcher78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SoulCatcher78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SoulCatcher78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SoulCatcher78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SoulCatcher78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SoulCatcher78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SoulCatcher78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SoulCatcher78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SoulCatcher78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SoulCatcher78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Eat more, lift more, run less. 'Bout sums it up really.

Eating at a deficit for to long can make your body want to hold on to those fat stores since it thinks it's being starved (go survival instinct). Decrease the deficit and you should be able to get back on track (although slower).

Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by SoulCatcher78 View Post
    Eat more, lift more, run less. 'Bout sums it up really.

Eating at a deficit for to long can make your body want to hold on to those fat stores since it thinks it's being starved (go survival instinct). Decrease the deficit and you should be able to get back on track (although slower).
    Survival instinct or starvation mode is mostly a myth, metabolic slowdown due to a calorie deficit will never be enough to offset the deficit itself.

http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/research/lyle.htm

That being said, I know that when I'm at too much of a calorie deficit for more than a couple days, my energy level starts to drop, my intensity suffers and my workouts suck. I'm sure once I start becoming a little lethargic and not working as hard, it makes my maintenance calories drop, but that drop is more lack of activity than starvation mode.

I'm my own experience, when I used to hit the gym after work I inevitably sucked, no matter what, because I'm physically tired and just not in a good mindset to workout, I want to eat dinner and hit the couch for a while. I would skip days, skip exercises, try to find excuses to quit early, that is why I go at 6:00AM now, I am not by any measure a morning person, but that change has let me to not miss a day except days where the gym was closed since January and my workouts are usually pretty high quality. I'm not saying that applies to you, but it is something to consider. I'd also try doing my cardio after weights.

I do think 1800 calories is low, I'm cutting on 2000 at 5'8 175.
    Now cutting: Got a little more squishy than I wanted, heading down to 160lbs and seeing how things look.

5/24/13 176lbs
    5/31/13 174lbs
    6/06/13 172.5lbs
    6/14/13 172lbs (? :/)
    6/21/13 170.5lbs
    7/06/13 171 lbs (Gasp blew my diet at Dollywood, must give up and become couch potato).

Qui audet adipiscitur
    Bis vivit qui bene vivit