pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Musings on Box Squats and a shoulder issue

I really enjoyed the thread on Box Squats that was started yesterday. There was a good exchange of ideas. I performed box squats today and was very conscious of every movce from unracking, stepping back, making the squat, paying attention to how I felt on the box, and then re-racking.

I have been squatting four times a week now for the last four weeks. The fourth day is box squats, ramping up to a 1 rep working set. Today I hit 390 and was very satisfied with how it went.

It took 54 years, but for the first time I have to deal with some shoulder pain. It hit me about 4 weeks ago as I was doing front raises with a 45 pound plate. I started getting a pain in my front delt. I finished the set, but the pain did not completely subside. It started to become chronic the next day. I had full range of motion, but I had a soreness and a clicking when I made the lateral motion.

I did no upper body movements the following week, only my four days of squats. On week 2, I added rotator cuff exercises and went back to heavy back, but I only used neutral grip. This week I continued the rotator cuff exercises, but added DB benches (light, topping out at 80 pounds), squats, and back. today I felt great, so I did 5 sets of unweighted dips, flat DB benches (topping out at 90), and Hammer strength incline presses.

I have also been icing post workout and taking 800mgs of ibuprofen three times a day. The shoulder feels great.

The plan is to avoid direct shoulder work for a couple more weeks and continue on the light side with the pec workouts. I will hit back heavy tomorrow to and vary my grip from neutral to see what I got.

Ray
    Last edited by pastorgbc; 07-26-2013 at 10:52 AM.
    Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven... so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. Matt. 6: 1-4

POrtergolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) POrtergolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) POrtergolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) POrtergolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) POrtergolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) POrtergolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) POrtergolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) POrtergolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) POrtergolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) POrtergolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) POrtergolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    good luck healing. I am working through rotator cuff tendinitis myself. i have been to the orthopedic twice in the past 5 months and they keep telling me to rest if I want it to go away. I took 6 weeks off of any type of press exercise and it got a little better than I played back to back rounds of golf and it came back worse!

I am working through it but it is a real pain the day after chest, shoulders not so bad because I am not going heavy on shoulders while I am working through the injury. I am handling it similar to you. I am icing, ibuprofen, have a prescription topical anti-inflammatory and I am doing light weight rotator cuff exercises.

Once thing I will recommend on the rotator cuff exercises is to put a rolled up towel or some sort of spacer to take your arm away from your body. This will put less pressure on your rotator cuff and work it more directly.

I think my injury was onset by that stupid "Car driver" exercises where you stand holding a plate and rotate it like a steering wheel.... first and last time I will ever do that lame exercise.
    https://www.********.com/ChrisHessMensPhysique
    http://www.rxmuscle.com/blogs/the-life-inspiration-and-dedication/8571-when-are-you-ready-for-the-stage.html
    www.twitter.com/portergolf
    www.instagram.com/portergolf

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Sounds like almost exactly the problem I had. My bicep tendon swelled up and jumped out of the groove in the shoulder. Lots of ice, Aleve and my chiropractor/physio had to do some adjustments to get it back in a few times. The pain lasted 3 months. Only thing that sucks now is it comes out and slides around now. No pain, but it moves all over.

Good luck sorting it out.
    B: 285
    S: 375
    D: 555

pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by drudixon View Post
    Sounds like almost exactly the problem I had. My bicep tendon swelled up and jumped out of the groove in the shoulder. Lots of ice, Aleve and my chiropractor/physio had to do some adjustments to get it back in a few times. The pain lasted 3 months. Only thing that sucks now is it comes out and slides around now. No pain, but it moves all over.

Good luck sorting it out.
    At first I thought it was some rotator cuff trauma, but I do think that it is a bicep tendon issue, although I have no trouble with heavy curls, which I did yesterday.
    Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven... so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. Matt. 6: 1-4

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Ouch.

Heal up guick, Ray.
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

POrtergolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) POrtergolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) POrtergolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) POrtergolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) POrtergolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) POrtergolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) POrtergolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) POrtergolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) POrtergolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) POrtergolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500) POrtergolf is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by pastorgbc View Post
    At first I thought it was some rotator cuff trauma, but I do think that it is a bicep tendon issue, although I have no trouble with heavy curls, which I did yesterday.
    my rotator cuff injury extends down into my bicep tendon. I went for massage and chiro neither did much for relief. I think its one of those thinks where it just takes time and strengthen exercises.
    https://www.********.com/ChrisHessMensPhysique
    http://www.rxmuscle.com/blogs/the-life-inspiration-and-dedication/8571-when-are-you-ready-for-the-stage.html
    www.twitter.com/portergolf
    www.instagram.com/portergolf

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by pastorgbc View Post
    Yeah, curls / pull ups never bother mine, just pressing. I just have to be careful now that it slides around.
    B: 285
    S: 375
    D: 555