Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    menke7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Stomach Pains after Protein Shake

In the past couple of weeks I have been experiencing intense stomach pains after drinking my protein shake after a workout. Eventually the pain started happening after I ate, and then constantly. The pain was completely agonizing and so I went to the doctor, and they checked some things out and assumed I had acute appendicitis. So either way I got my appendix removed and after the initial surgery period I started feeling great 100%.

Today was my first day back to the gym (the surgery was 2 weeks ago), and I am only able to do cardio. So I did my cardio get back to my office and have my shake. This time stomach discomfort has returned, not as intense as it was before the surgery but still uncomfortable and lasted for about 10-15 minutes. More background information is that it is the same protein that I have been taking for over a year and never had these problems before.

Anyone else had similar problems, and could possibly shed some light on this? Should I switch protein powders or just stop taking it all together?

Shermanatorx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Shermanatorx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Shermanatorx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Shermanatorx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Shermanatorx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Shermanatorx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Shermanatorx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Shermanatorx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Shermanatorx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Shermanatorx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Shermanatorx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by menke7 View Post
    In the past couple of weeks I have been experiencing intense stomach pains after drinking my protein shake after a workout. Eventually the pain started happening after I ate, and then constantly. The pain was completely agonizing and so I went to the doctor, and they checked some things out and assumed I had acute appendicitis. So either way I got my appendix removed and after the initial surgery period I started feeling great 100%.

Today was my first day back to the gym (the surgery was 2 weeks ago), and I am only able to do cardio. So I did my cardio get back to my office and have my shake. This time stomach discomfort has returned, not as intense as it was before the surgery but still uncomfortable and lasted for about 10-15 minutes. More background information is that it is the same protein that I have been taking for over a year and never had these problems before.

Anyone else had similar problems, and could possibly shed some light on this? Should I switch protein powders or just stop taking it all together?
    I would stop using it for a while.

G4hire will become famous soon enough. (+50) G4hire will become famous soon enough. (+50) G4hire will become famous soon enough. (+50) G4hire will become famous soon enough. (+50) G4hire will become famous soon enough. (+50) G4hire will become famous soon enough. (+50) G4hire will become famous soon enough. (+50) G4hire will become famous soon enough. (+50) G4hire will become famous soon enough. (+50) G4hire will become famous soon enough. (+50) G4hire will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Does it happen to be ON? I've been getting upset to my stomach lately. I'm going to try a blend like myofusion or Trutein.

ginosko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ginosko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ginosko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ginosko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ginosko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ginosko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ginosko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ginosko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ginosko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ginosko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ginosko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Any problems digesting dairy in general and what protein is it?

Shermanatorx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Shermanatorx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Shermanatorx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Shermanatorx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Shermanatorx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Shermanatorx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Shermanatorx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Shermanatorx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Shermanatorx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Shermanatorx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Shermanatorx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What is your diet like too?

Originally Posted by G4hire View Post
    Does it happen to be ON? I've been getting upset to my stomach lately. I'm going to try a blend like myofusion or Trutein.
    It's ON 100% Gold Standard, Extreme Milk Chocolate. But as I said I've been taking the same protein for well over a year now and never had these problems before.

As for problems digesting dairy not at all. I drink a ton of milk, close to 3 gallons a week and never have any problems after drinking milk, eating yogurt, or cottage cheese. I'm thinking about switching proteins but it's a shame because I just bought a new 5lb tub of this stuff.

Originally Posted by Shermanatorx View Post
    What is your diet like too?
    Diet is for the most party healthy. Usually egg whites and turkey sausage in the morning, normally with Gringo Bandito hot Sauce (delicious low sodium hot sauce). Lunch is usually a turkey sandwich, soup or salad, fruit, and yogurt. Dinner normally chicken, talapia, or lean steak with steamed veggies (normally broccoli), and rice. Then before bed I have a Casien Protien shake mixed with oatmeal, which does not affect my stomach at all.

Weekends occasionally bring out beer drinking and some unhealthy habits, if I go to a restaurant or out of town.

Diet is for the most party healthy. Usually egg whites and turkey sausage in the morning, normally with Gringo Bandito hot Sauce (delicious low sodium hot sauce). Lunch is usually a turkey sandwich, soup or salad, fruit, and yogurt. Dinner normally chicken, talapia, or lean steak with steamed veggies (normally broccoli), and rice. Then before bed I have a Casien Protien shake mixed with oatmeal, which does not affect my stomach at all.

Weekends occasionally bring out beer drinking and some unhealthy habits, if I go to a restaurant or out of town.
    Is your protein expired?

How much protein are you getting a day(roughly)?

Originally Posted by Shermanatorx View Post
    Is your protein expired?

How much protein are you getting a day(roughly)?
    Protein is not expired, and I probably get about 150-170 grams of protein daily. Which I weigh about 185 pounds so should be a problem since I am actively working out.

yCat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yCat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yCat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yCat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yCat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yCat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yCat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yCat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yCat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yCat is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yCat is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    my friend gets the same. not sure whats up.

drinks a protein shake and gets bad cramps.
    seated rows before hoes

Protein is not expired, and I probably get about 150-170 grams of protein daily. Which I weigh about 185 pounds so should be a problem since I am actively working out.
    I seem to remember ON's protein not sitting well with my stomach(put me on the toilet).

Might wan't to try a new brand, these taste batter too imo:

Big Blend
    Trutein
    XF Whey
    Myofusion
    Dymatize Whey
    Scivation Whey

mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000) mobikwa is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I would try a different protein powder first. A whey iso, pick whatever brand you want, hell, even go to gnc and get it. Just return it if you get the same issue, return it even if you don't and buy the same tub online for less.
    Look under your chair. YOU GET A REP, AND YOU GET A REP, REPS FOR EVERYONE! If I get a rep, you get a rep, every time. Give me a link to make my life a little easier.

If you don't give me a link and you didn't post in the thread you rep'd me in, I'm not gonna go searching for you. I'll get everyone on recharge.

diet = result 5,5% Bf nattyman1981's Avatar
    nattyman1981 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nattyman1981 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nattyman1981 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nattyman1981 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nattyman1981 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nattyman1981 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nattyman1981 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nattyman1981 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nattyman1981 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nattyman1981 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nattyman1981 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    try wpi low 0 lactose
    "I Hate Damn Proprietary Blend"
    "Train Hard and Stay Natural"
    "The Key to Building Muscle ? Diets!!! Always > Supps "

Originally Posted by mobikwa View Post
    I would try a different protein powder first. A whey iso, pick whatever brand you want, hell, even go to gnc and get it. Just return it if you get the same issue, return it even if you don't and buy the same tub online for less.
    Yeah I will go ahead and try a different protein powder, I have a buddy who I'm sure will let me borrow some to try out. Strange that it just randomly started happening after over a year of using ON. Wonder if they changed their formula or had a bad batch...

Cuttin' and Bulkin' sigphihokie's Avatar
    sigphihokie will become famous soon enough. (+50) sigphihokie will become famous soon enough. (+50) sigphihokie will become famous soon enough. (+50) sigphihokie will become famous soon enough. (+50) sigphihokie will become famous soon enough. (+50) sigphihokie will become famous soon enough. (+50) sigphihokie will become famous soon enough. (+50) sigphihokie will become famous soon enough. (+50) sigphihokie will become famous soon enough. (+50) sigphihokie will become famous soon enough. (+50) sigphihokie will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I used to have problems with whey upsetting my stomach (not ON), but I switched to MaxPro from Max Muscle, never had any issues with it.

juliasdad is just really nice. (+1000) juliasdad is just really nice. (+1000) juliasdad is just really nice. (+1000) juliasdad is just really nice. (+1000) juliasdad is just really nice. (+1000) juliasdad is just really nice. (+1000) juliasdad is just really nice. (+1000) juliasdad is just really nice. (+1000) juliasdad is just really nice. (+1000) juliasdad is just really nice. (+1000) juliasdad is just really nice. (+1000)
    strange, i have a really bad stomach and ON is the one protein that doesnt really mess with me

dustinh6719 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dustinh6719 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dustinh6719 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dustinh6719 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dustinh6719 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dustinh6719 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dustinh6719 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dustinh6719 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dustinh6719 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dustinh6719 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dustinh6719 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by BOZZ View Post
    In all seriousness though sure you're not lactose intolerant, or maybe have a gluten allergy
    This. Does plain milk bother your stomach, or a gluten product?

romchik88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) romchik88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) romchik88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) romchik88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) romchik88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) romchik88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) romchik88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) romchik88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) romchik88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) romchik88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) romchik88 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It sounds like what happens to me when I eat this combo. Creatine Mono, Whey protein blend, and a apple.
    Follow my first log. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142142391

Originally Posted by dustinh6719 View Post
    This. Does plain milk bother your stomach, or a gluten product?
    Plain milk, and gluten products have never bothered me. I have a pretty normal routine and I will explain my daily routine.

I wake up around 5:45AM, make myself breakfast (normally egg whites, oatmeal, turkey sausage, fruit some mixture of those), I then shower get ready for work go to work. I'm a Server Infrastructure Analyst, so I sit in my office at my desk all day. So to move the day along quicker and to get active during the day I go to the gym during my lunch break. I usually lift one muscle a day 6 days a week (Sunday too even though I don't work). Normally I take Superpump Max before, drink XTend during, and then take my protein when I get back to my office. I then eat my lunch while working. Its usually a few minutes after finishing my protein when the stomach cramps come back.

I then do cardio after dinner after work but I don't take any supps after that, and then I take my Casein protein shake mixed with oatmeal before bed. Like I said never had this problem and I've been taking almost all of this stuff for a year now.

nbernal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

stomach pain after protein

I have same problem sometimes so what helps me is to drink plenty of water.

My Body, My Temple. MANOSTEEL00's Avatar
    MANOSTEEL00 is just really nice. (+1000) MANOSTEEL00 is just really nice. (+1000) MANOSTEEL00 is just really nice. (+1000) MANOSTEEL00 is just really nice. (+1000) MANOSTEEL00 is just really nice. (+1000) MANOSTEEL00 is just really nice. (+1000) MANOSTEEL00 is just really nice. (+1000) MANOSTEEL00 is just really nice. (+1000) MANOSTEEL00 is just really nice. (+1000) MANOSTEEL00 is just really nice. (+1000) MANOSTEEL00 is just really nice. (+1000)
    The most pain I've ever experienced in my life was due to a protein shake.

I was drinking a late night shake and soon after went to bed. I felt my upper abdomen tense up and suddenly started experiencing acute pain. It continued to get worse and worse over the next 10 minutes to a point that I had my phone in my hand to call 911 but I was in so much pain I couldn't speak.

Luckily, things died out for about 10 minutes only for them to return a few minutes after. I called my doctor at 1AM and woke his ass up to see what was going on. They claimed it was gallstones so I decided to get an ultrasound to see whats up. Turned out everything was alright.

Looking back, i'm 99% certain it was a protein shake taken at a time where my body could not handle it (I just got over the stomach flu). Be careful!

ArmstrongBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArmstrongBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArmstrongBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArmstrongBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArmstrongBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArmstrongBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArmstrongBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArmstrongBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArmstrongBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArmstrongBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArmstrongBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    wheres your iron stomach brah

GetHugeBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) GetHugeBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) GetHugeBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) GetHugeBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) GetHugeBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) GetHugeBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) GetHugeBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) GetHugeBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) GetHugeBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) GetHugeBrah is a name known to all. (+5000) GetHugeBrah is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by G4hire View Post
    I would make it into something like pancakes or brownies and consume it like that.

tried it with the scifit products and it worked great.

simplynutrition has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) simplynutrition has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) simplynutrition has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Give Solgar's Whey to Go a try.

kjmira has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I too have been having some severe stomach pains/cramps after consuming my post workout protein shake. I've tried several different proteins; Champion Pure Whey, Oh Yeah, and VPX Protein Rush. I've also received these pains after eating Supreme Protein bars.

Is it possible that I can no longer consume whey all together and must switch to either an egg or beef protein shake?

robwigan will become famous soon enough. (+50) robwigan will become famous soon enough. (+50) robwigan will become famous soon enough. (+50) robwigan will become famous soon enough. (+50) robwigan will become famous soon enough. (+50) robwigan will become famous soon enough. (+50) robwigan will become famous soon enough. (+50) robwigan will become famous soon enough. (+50) robwigan will become famous soon enough. (+50) robwigan will become famous soon enough. (+50) robwigan will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    IBS possibly ? iv got it and have to be careful with what i use, can be awful sometimes and protein has effected it in past

Jdm9499 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jdm9499 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jdm9499 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jdm9499 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jdm9499 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jdm9499 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jdm9499 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jdm9499 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jdm9499 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jdm9499 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jdm9499 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Yup, I get serious stomach pains/cramps from proteins that are Whey Protein Concentrates. Pains that put me in a fetal position for 10min+. I didn't realize it was the powder, and later with the help from others here on the forums, narrowed it down the the WPC. I'm mildly lactose intolerant, and can eat some ice cream, cheese, no larger than an 8oz. glass of milk and some cottage cheese with no worries of any real stomach problems, but when it comes to downing a protein shake that has WPC, I'm done for. The whole day is ruined with agonizing pains and extreme bloating.

I'm now waiting for a tub of Gaspari Nutrition IntraPro to arrive today, and am going to give this one a shot. Many have suggested this, and or Isolates. Give it a try and see how your stomach accepts an Isolate.

BBain is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BBain is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BBain is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BBain is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BBain is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BBain is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BBain is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BBain is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BBain is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BBain is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BBain is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    The first time I used ON's 100% Whey Extreme Chocolate Milk, I got sick from it. I mixed it with milk and BB offered for me to send it back for a refund but I decided to stick with it and instead try with water. The water mix works perfectly fine for me and without any problems.

I was brave to even try that. Milk + that protein blend was not good for me...HAHA

I'm glad I did though. I've been taking it over a year now and never again had any problems and there are times where I take 2 scoops at once.

It has got to be something with your body not reacting well with the blend, or blend plus what ever you are mixing it with. If you are mixing with milk, try water.

PandoraFlex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lightbulb Stomach cramps after protein shake

I had a protein shake late lastnight and found myself feeling very sick and had tummy cramps.
    Not nice. I put it down to just being an odd one off.
    Just had a shake then and was almost sick and got tummy cramps again. So i googled it and had a look at a few websites. One website said it could be drinking the large volume of liquid quickly. I thought about it and it does make sense. Liquids will flood to your stomach and this most likely im thinking forces it to expand rapidly to make room for the shake. However with food we eat much slower, this not only slows the time it takes for our body to transport the food to the stomach but also it will tell our brains to prepare the stomach for the arrival for food. Remember our bodies and brains are super smart and super wired. They communicate so much that we dont realise. So my thinking leads me to one simple thing, do not down a shake. Take your time and drink it slowly. I find drinking it whilst im doing something else helps slow me down, ie working, ill pause in between to drink, or driving on the way back for the gym, ill have a bit at the traffic lights, then before and after my shower etc. Just slow down. I think this probably happens quite often and its purely self inflicted. Yes i agree there will be some cases where people may be whey intolerant or sensitive to certain ingredients but for most its all about savouring a shake like a meal. Its technically a "quick" protein fix but that doesnt mean u should down it, just like a cup of tea, or a beer.

producerdan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Really bad...

I've been using ON gold std. mocha cappuccino for a year no probs. switched to double chocolate and wham, huge stomach pains. On the floor in agony pains. Took a few days to narrow it down to my post workout shake. Tried an allmax "chiller" and that had the same painful reaction. Just tried slowly sipping PhD isolate, felt the pains coming on so stopped immediately.

That's 3 totally different brands & blends and all had the same reaction, AFTER I've been using these products for a year. I don't get it, I can't figure out the common thread that gives this reaction.