shffl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shffl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shffl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shffl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shffl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shffl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shffl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shffl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shffl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shffl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shffl has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Fat Destruction with Keto Log

Hello all, going into the final phase of my cut and I will be ending it with keto. I started at 205lb around 20%bf around April 2011 and I am now at 185lb ~12%bf. Throughout that time, I apply intermittent fasting principle and only keep carbs at pwo meal, while the other meals remain protein and fat. I started at 2800 calories and have recently dropped down to 2000 calories.

Why keto? Fat loss for me is slowing down. It did not stop, just slowed down. If I want to I can continue what I am doing and eventually reach my goal in a matter of time. But I have a personal deadline to meet and hence keto comes into the picture. I have done keto in the past and my experience with it has been good and bad. Good in the fact that it melts fat off me like no other (I have bad insulin sensitivity and thick skin) and bad because I sacrificed a lot of strength and lean muscles at the same time.

After studying a little bit more, this time around I am confident it will be different. There will be certain modifications to food selections and certain supplements will be taken to ensure that I retain mass and strength. Here's the macro view of the diet:

Principles: Intermittent Fasting
    Daily Caloric Intake: 2000
    Protein source: lean chicken, beef, fish, or eggs ONLY
    Fat source: besides animal fat, EVOO, coconut oil, red palm oil, fish oil, all natural peanut butter
    Carb source: None

Because I work full time, my first meal will start during lunch (2PM) and final meal will be PWO (8/9PM). A pre-workout meal will be consumed in between those two meals.

I will keep my meals simple. It's a mix and match between the listed protein and fat source, coupled with lots of veggies. Veggies have been shown to curb my appetite and at the same time it will provide me with the micronutrients that I will be needing (spinach and kale in particular).

My training will be One Lift a Day that was first written by Dan John. For someone looking to retain mass and strength, what better way to do so than by lifting heavy weights all week long? At the same time, workout will not be long but intensity will be high. I don't think high volume workout is that great for keto (but that's just me, everyone's different).

Day 1: Squat
    Day 2: Pendlay Row
    Day 3: DB Press
    Day 4: Rest
    Day 5: Deadlift
    Day 6: Military Press
    Day 7: Rest/random arm workout

Week one will just be weight training with no cardio. Week two I will add in PWO LISS cardio. Week three I will add morning fasted LISS cardio. Week 4.... I will decide what to do by then. Depending on how I feel during rest days, I will either take my rest or do some sort of conditioning work.

The only supplements I will be taking is Purple Wrath for pre and intra workout. I will also consume some in the morning. One thing I read is the attempt to retain mass and strength during a caloric deficit diet (especially keto) can be optimized with consumption of EAA's. So I consume some in the morning and maybe some at work.

That's all for now. I plan to start this Monday. Tomorrow's my set cheat day and I am preparing to eat my heart out before going carb less for the next two weeks!

Any questions please fire away! I'm always here to help if I can

shffl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shffl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shffl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shffl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shffl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shffl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shffl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shffl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shffl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shffl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shffl has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Just did my weekly shopping.

3lb Top Sirloin Steak
    2lb Chicken Breast
    2 dozen eggs
    Giant bag of spinach

Keeping it simple and clean!

First day of keto! Since I have no work I was able to train fasted this morning.

Pre-workout: 1 scoop Purple Wrath
    Intra-workout: 1 scoop Purple Wrath
    Post-workout: 2 scoops whey + 1 scoop all natural Peanut Butter
    Meal 1: 0.7lb steak cooked in 1 TBSPN coconut oil + spinach drizzled with 1 TBSPN EVOO
    Meal 2: 5 jumbo eggs cooked in 1 Tbspn coconut oil

Training

Squats
    1x5 @ 225
    1x5 @ 245
    1x5 @ 260
    1x5 @ 280
    1x5 @ 300
    1x5 @ 260
    1x5 @ 300

***All set was followed immediately by 10 bw vertical jumps****

Energy level was pretty high after some nice meals from yesterday. On a side note, those vertical jumps HURT. I fear them after every set. Going to get my steak going soon!
    Last edited by shffl; 07-04-2011 at 08:12 PM.

Day 2. Energy level is still good. Back to work today so meal plan resume a normal routine.

AM: 1 scoop Purple Wrath
    Meal 1: Egg salad (4 Jumbo eggs + 1/4c almonds + 1 tbspn EVOO + spinach)
    Pre-workout: 1 scoops whey + 1 scoop all natural Peanut Butter
    Post-workout: 1 scoops whey + 1 scoop all natural Peanut Butter
    Meal 2: 0.6lb steak cooked in 1tbspn coconut oil + spinach drizzled with 2 tbspn EVOO
    Meal 3 (pre-bed): 1 scoop whey + 1 oz heavy cream

Training

Pendlay Row
    1x5 @ 185
    1x5 @ 195
    1x5 @ 205
    1x5 @ 215
    1x5 @ 225
    1x5 @ 205
    1x5 @ 225

***All set were followed immediately by 10 chin ups****

Feeling good right now after my PWO meal. Spicy mustard on steak is GREAT! Energy level still high. I got a great night sleep last night and let's hope for the same tonight! Looking forward to that whey and heavy cream later.