Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered User BulimicCannibal's Avatar
    BulimicCannibal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Worried about getting fat on bulk, should I cut first?

I recently dropped 40 pounds, and went from being almost obese to just below overweight.

How people percieved me and my self esteem increased significantly, It was like I became an entirely different person. However I've been weight lifting for a year now, and have decided I want to bulk but I am worried I will look horrible again due to fat gain during the bulk.

After much thought I'm considering cutting down firstly, so when I bulk later I will have a relatively normal BF% and won't be considered as a fat ass by other people.

Does this sound like a reasonable idea? And would I still be able to gain, or at the very least maintain my current muscle whilst cutting?

I've asked a similar question before on a certain internet image board but the place seemed to be full of *******s with superiority complexes, whereas this forum seems to have a much more friendly environment.

Thanks in advance for any help.

xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I had the same fear of getting fat. I've gained 10lbs so far and I'm actually looking more lean. Don't be afraid of getting fat. If you do it right you won't gain any at all. Eat 300-500 calories over maitenance and lift heavy. Throw in some cardio sometimes if you want to also.

Originally Posted by xCody View Post
    I had the same fear of getting fat. I've gained 10lbs so far and I'm actually looking more lean. Don't be afraid of getting fat. If you do it right you won't gain any at all. Eat 300-500 calories over maitenance and lift heavy. Throw in some cardio sometimes if you want to also.
    I thought fat gain was absolutely unavoiable in bulking?

Traubster is just really nice. (+1000) Traubster is just really nice. (+1000) Traubster is just really nice. (+1000) Traubster is just really nice. (+1000) Traubster is just really nice. (+1000) Traubster is just really nice. (+1000) Traubster is just really nice. (+1000) Traubster is just really nice. (+1000) Traubster is just really nice. (+1000) Traubster is just really nice. (+1000) Traubster is just really nice. (+1000)
    For MOST people, its a better idea to bulk first, then cut later, but for people who need(ed) to lose a LOT of weight, I personally think its better to cut down to 10%-ish, then bulk. I dropped from almost 290 down to 170 before I started my bulk, and I'm VERY happy with my current physique. I've managed to put on a reasonable amount of weight while still keeping my abs (which lets face it, is the primary goal of very low body fat %) - just make sure you continue to nail your protein/fat macro requirements so you don't lose much in the way of muscle and become, "skinny-fat". Also lift hard.

Congrats on your success so far.
    Height: 6'4
    March 2010: 290 pounds 40+% b.f. (obese)
    August 2011: 168 pounds - 122 lbs lost. (skinny as fuark)
    Currently: About 225 lbs. 14% body fat

NASM and NCSF Certified Personal Trainer
    Feel free to message me if you'd like some tips on fat loss or muscle growth. I've had a lot of success with both.

Originally Posted by Traubster View Post
    For MOST people, its a better idea to bulk first, then cut later, but for people who need(ed) to lose a LOT of weight, I personally think its better to cut down to 10%-ish, then bulk. I dropped from almost 290 down to 170 before I started my bulk, and I'm VERY happy with my current physique. I've managed to put on a reasonable amount of weight while still keeping my abs (which lets face it, is the primary goal of very low body fat %) - just make sure you continue to nail your protein/fat macro requirements so you don't lose much in the way of muscle and become, "skinny-fat". Also lift hard.

Congrats on your success so far.
    Would you advise I cut then? Even before I started lifting my BMI was roughly 23ish, now it's around 24.5 a year later, but I feel I may have put some fat on also.

I'm currently at around 203lbs at 6'4".7. Not sure of my actual BF% though.

Traubster is just really nice. (+1000) Traubster is just really nice. (+1000) Traubster is just really nice. (+1000) Traubster is just really nice. (+1000) Traubster is just really nice. (+1000) Traubster is just really nice. (+1000) Traubster is just really nice. (+1000) Traubster is just really nice. (+1000) Traubster is just really nice. (+1000) Traubster is just really nice. (+1000) Traubster is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by BulimicCannibal View Post
    Would you advise I cut then? Even before I started lifting my BMI was roughly 23ish, now it's around 24.5 a year later, but I feel I may have put some fat on also.

I'm currently at around 203lbs at 6'4".7. Not sure of my actual BF% though.
    You are exactly my height. Do you have any pictures of yourself? Would be easier to steer you in the right direction. Also note that BMI is not a good indicator (for weight lifters and people our height) of health.
    Height: 6'4
    March 2010: 290 pounds 40+% b.f. (obese)
    August 2011: 168 pounds - 122 lbs lost. (skinny as fuark)
    Currently: About 225 lbs. 14% body fat

NASM and NCSF Certified Personal Trainer
    Feel free to message me if you'd like some tips on fat loss or muscle growth. I've had a lot of success with both.

shifthappens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shifthappens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shifthappens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shifthappens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shifthappens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shifthappens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shifthappens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shifthappens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shifthappens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shifthappens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shifthappens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I cut first, and am now bulking.

I regret it, because after I was done losing all that weight I just looked flabby. Not ripped, not toned. I had lost weight, but I had no muscle to show.

I'm starting to lift now, and I can tell muscle is filling in. But I would definately bulk first if I had to do it over again.

SlimPup has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SlimPup has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SlimPup has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SlimPup has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SlimPup has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SlimPup has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SlimPup has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SlimPup has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I recently dropped 40 pounds, and went from being almost obese to just below overweight.

How people percieved me and my self esteem increased significantly, It was like I became an entirely different person. However I've been weight lifting for a year now, and have decided I want to bulk but I am worried I will look horrible again due to fat gain during the bulk.

After much thought I'm considering cutting down firstly, so when I bulk later I will have a relatively normal BF% and won't be considered as a fat ass by other people.

Does this sound like a reasonable idea? And would I still be able to gain, or at the very least maintain my current muscle whilst cutting?

I've asked a similar question before on a certain internet image board but the place seemed to be full of *******s with superiority complexes, whereas this forum seems to have a much more friendly environment.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    It's really a matter of personal preference. Yes, you'll gain more fat if you start bulking now, but in the very end of your cycle, you will have to have lost the same about of fat. It's your choice whether you want to lose some now and some later, or all at once.

If you begin bulking now, as your muscle start to grow it will make you look more defined and thus it'll seem like your fat is going down. So in the end it's really up to you what you wanna do first.

Personally I cut first when I started in the beginning, but I didn't actually know what I was doing. I think it's safe to say that since then, I probably would have gotten to the same point I am now even if I had bulked first.

marcoecon is on a distinguished road. (+10) marcoecon is on a distinguished road. (+10) marcoecon is on a distinguished road. (+10) marcoecon is on a distinguished road. (+10) marcoecon is on a distinguished road. (+10) marcoecon is on a distinguished road. (+10) marcoecon is on a distinguished road. (+10) marcoecon is on a distinguished road. (+10) marcoecon is on a distinguished road. (+10) marcoecon is on a distinguished road. (+10) marcoecon is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    no if u bulk u will lose ur dick.
    Impossible is nothing, my success story.

Certified professional trainers network. CPTN

Competing on Saturday, July 23, 2011 IDFA International Championships Amateur & Pro ...IDFA Pro Qualifier and Pro Show @ Toronto

xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xCody is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Post a picture of yourself. Then we can estimate your bf% and tell you if you should bulk or cut.

XShreddedX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XShreddedX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XShreddedX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XShreddedX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XShreddedX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XShreddedX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XShreddedX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XShreddedX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XShreddedX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XShreddedX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XShreddedX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Just try to gain around 1lb a week, as long as you work out(hard), gaining weight slowly will lead to muscle gains without excessive fat gains. If your not gaining weight, eat more calories until you gain roughly 1lb per week.
    Staple Supplements:

Allmax Nutrition Isoflex
    Universal Animal Pak
    Universal Animal Rage
    iForce Hemavol
    Thermolife C-bol
    Orange Oximega Fish oil
    Every time you don't give 100%...
    You make it that much easier for me to beat you... -Anonymous

Originally Posted by XShreddedX View Post
    Just try to gain around 1lb a week, as long as you work out(hard), gaining weight slowly will lead to muscle gains without excessive fat gains. If your not gaining weight, eat more calories until you gain roughly 1lb per week.
    How many pounds of fat could I expect to put on by the end of my bulk if I did this?

I wouldn't mind just gaining a few pounds, what I'm worried about mainly is putting on any where near the amount that I originally lost.

daz93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) daz93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) daz93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) daz93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) daz93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) daz93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) daz93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) daz93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) daz93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) daz93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) daz93 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Don't worry about fat gain, you have lost it once, you know you can do it again!, but this time when you cut you will see all the muscle definition a lot more, I started a bulk around a month ago, before bulking you couldn't see my abs at all, now I have gained around 6lbs they are starting to show. So don't worry about it, I worried, but I'm happy now!

Originally Posted by daz93 View Post
    Don't worry about fat gain, you have lost it once, you know you can do it again!, but this time when you cut you will see all the muscle definition a lot more, I started a bulk around a month ago, before bulking you couldn't see my abs at all, now I have gained around 6lbs they are starting to show. So don't worry about it, I worried, but I'm happy now!
    Yes but I am already kinda fat, I don't want to become really fat, even if it's only temporary because I don't think I could take the psychological effects even if they were only temporary.

Yes but I am already kinda fat, I don't want to become really fat, even if it's only temporary because I don't think I could take the psychological effects even if they were only temporary.
    I felt the same way man. I had to get over it, but seriously post a picture of yourself.

How many pounds of fat could I expect to put on by the end of my bulk if I did this?
    That depends on how you do it annd how many lbs you gain

daz93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) daz93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) daz93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) daz93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) daz93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) daz93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) daz93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) daz93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) daz93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) daz93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) daz93 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I was too, an although you may think fat gain will happen, i have never gained more than around 3% bf while bulking, also when you cut, the affect it has on people when they see you go from overweight to low bf, it is amazing. Everyone is amazed with you

Steven119 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Steven119 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Steven119 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Steven119 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Steven119 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Steven119 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Steven119 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Steven119 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Steven119 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Steven119 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Steven119 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    post pics. Most likely cut to ~12% bf and clean bulk.
    385lb x 1 dead
    205lb x 1 bench (Post-injury)
    285lb x 5 squat

Originally Posted by Steven119 View Post
    post pics. Most likely cut to ~12% bf and clean bulk.
    Ok I'll post a pic when I get a chance.

SomeRandom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SomeRandom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SomeRandom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SomeRandom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SomeRandom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SomeRandom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SomeRandom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SomeRandom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SomeRandom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SomeRandom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SomeRandom is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Fat gain is unavoidable but it is also much more noticeable when it's someone skinny gaining the fat (no offense). I think if you clean bulk (count your calories and go 500 over your maintenance) then you should be fine. You'll probably look more lean because you will have some more muscle on you. I bulked from ~120 to ~145 and I look more defined now, mainly because I had no muscle back then. If you don't have muscle there's nothing for there to be defined.

Good luck!
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Galatasaray SK
    LFC

Originally Posted by SomeRandom View Post
    Fat gain is unavoidable but it is also much more noticeable when it's someone skinny gaining the fat (no offense). I think if you clean bulk (count your calories and go 500 over your maintenance) then you should be fine. You'll probably look more lean because you will have some more muscle on you. I bulked from ~120 to ~145 and I look more defined now, mainly because I had no muscle back then. If you don't have muscle there's nothing for there to be defined.

Good luck!
    I've heard it's possibly to do really short bulks and cleans and alternate between the two?

Is this as effective, are there any problems with this?

I've heard it's possibly to do really short bulks and cleans and alternate between the two?

Is this as effective, are there any problems with this?
    You won't see any results. Seriously man...Just get over it and bulk. You'll look amazing after a bulk and cut. You obviously don't look good right now otherwise you wouldn't be here. Why would you come here and not take our advice?

You won't see any results. Seriously man...Just get over it and bulk. You'll look amazing after a bulk and cut. You obviously don't look good right now otherwise you wouldn't be here. Why would you come here and not take our advice?
    I have been fatter than I am now, and It made me miserable. At least now I am happy with my body to a certain extent, sure I would like for it to improve but by no means am I miserable.

I doubt I could handle the psychological effects of being a land whale for the next 6 months.

SomeRandom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SomeRandom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SomeRandom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SomeRandom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SomeRandom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SomeRandom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SomeRandom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SomeRandom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SomeRandom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SomeRandom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SomeRandom is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I have been fatter than I am now, and It made me miserable. At least now I am happy with my body to a certain extent, sure I would like for it to improve but by no means am I miserable.

I doubt I could handle the psychological effects of being a land whale for the next 6 months.
    I think you're exaggerating here. How much do you weigh currently? You don't have to go on a full blown BabySlayer bulk (though he's looking pretty cut now no homo). Bulking doesn't mean you're going to gain tremendous amounts of fat. Sure you'll have some, but chances are you're going to look better than you do now.
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Galatasaray SK
    LFC

ab931 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ab931 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ab931 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ab931 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ab931 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ab931 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ab931 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ab931 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ab931 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ab931 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ab931 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I'm overweight and still bulking

dealwitit.jpg

BartStare has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BartStare has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BartStare has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BartStare has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BartStare has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BartStare has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BartStare has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BartStare has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BartStare has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BartStare has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BartStare has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Half of whatever weight you put on (Lyle McDonald). +1 on getting to 10% BF and only then bulk.

What's your height and weight?

What's your height and weight?
    6'4".7 and I weigh roughly around 203lbs.

Here's the pic someone requested to figure out body fat, it's kinda pixelated considering I had to use my ****ty webcam but hopefully you should still be able to figure out my bf%.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images

wgilbrech7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wgilbrech7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wgilbrech7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wgilbrech7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wgilbrech7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wgilbrech7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wgilbrech7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wgilbrech7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wgilbrech7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wgilbrech7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wgilbrech7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Bulk up 20 pounds (500 surplus: 5 month bulk)...if you do it right you should gain upward of 10 pounds of muscle and minimal fat gain....and you'll look better than you do now. And when you cut you'll look even vetter

6'4".7 and I weigh roughly around 203lbs.

Here's the pic someone requested to figure out body fat, it's kinda pixelated considering I had to use my ****ty webcam but hopefully you should still be able to figure out my bf%.

Thanks in advance.
    You aren't even a fatty, but I guess if you really want to cut like 10-15 lbs then bulk.