Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Lopez27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lopez27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lopez27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lopez27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lopez27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lopez27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lopez27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lopez27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lopez27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lopez27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lopez27 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Can I become a personal traner without being certified?

Is it legal for me to train clients without having any sort of certification? Of course I will tell them I am not certified, but is there anything illegal about it?

cfafitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cfafitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I don't believe there is a law that states you need to be certified, but just know that certification is not just a formality. I learned quite a bit while studying for my certification. You can still get insurance as a non-certified trainer, but it is more expensive and you are at a much greater risk for legal litigation. If someone gets hurt under your supervision and they sue you, the client's attorneys are going to rip you a new one for not being certified.
    CFA Fitness Personal Training
    ACE-certified Trainer
    http://www.cfafitnessadvisement.com

Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Lopez27 View Post
    Is it legal for me to train clients without having any sort of certification? Of course I will tell them I am not certified, but is there anything illegal about it?
    good luck getting clients lol just get certified... it is not that difficult

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Anyone can call themselves a personal trainer. No laws about that.

However, without a certification you will not have the knowledge, and will not be able to get insured. So that if or when someone gets injured and they sue you, you will be in debt paying them back for the rest of your life.

As well, a 19 year old will have trouble getting clients even if they're brilliant, experienced and well-qualified. People are ageist and sexist. If that 19 year old actually has no certificates, then they will certainly not get any clients at all.

Try some edumucation. It's not so bad.

NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I wouldn't train a good friend without liability insurance coverage.

Lopez27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lopez27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lopez27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lopez27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lopez27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lopez27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lopez27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lopez27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lopez27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lopez27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lopez27 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Cool. How much would the insurance be without certification?
    As for getting certified, I might in the future if I plan on making a career out of it only to attract more clients. But I honestly believe most certifications are a joke, I've seen plenty of PTs who have many certifications and don't know what the hell they're doing. I know I won't have a hard time finding clients being uncertified and I only plan on training a small amount. Thanks alot for the responses!

KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Cool. How much would the insurance be without certification?
    How much will your car insurance be without a driver's license?

You couldn't get insured.

As for getting certified, I might in the future if I plan on making a career out of it only to attract more clients. But I honestly believe most certifications are a joke!
    Most certifications are a joke because the person leaves knowing no more than when they started.

Whereas if you don't do the certificate, you will not know more than when you started. So really if you don't get a certificate, you're the joke.

carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Lopez27: Do you have a lot of money if you do send me your address so I can come train with you. I would love to get hurt while you train me. Since you don't have a cert it would take about ten minutes in court to get all your money.
    Why do people come to this sight where most if not all of the people have a certifcation and say ***** are usless? Do you go to your doctor and say I want a non certified doctor to work on me since I had a certifed doctor that was'nt very good, do you go to a lawer that has'nt pasted the bar because one that has did'nt repsesent you very well?
    By the way iif you don't have any money please send your address anyway the courts can set up a payment plan or put a lean on future earnings.

Can't I have them sign a contract stating that if injured I am not held liable?

And I'm sorry to tell you all, most good trainers became good at what they do through their own experience and search for knowledge not through their certification that they passed a test for and paid a couple hundred dollars to get. Most good trainers that I know only got their certifications because thats what clients want to see because they think it means something not because they wanted to become better at what they do.

JRRBadBoy4Life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JRRBadBoy4Life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JRRBadBoy4Life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JRRBadBoy4Life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JRRBadBoy4Life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JRRBadBoy4Life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JRRBadBoy4Life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JRRBadBoy4Life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JRRBadBoy4Life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JRRBadBoy4Life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JRRBadBoy4Life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Yes it is legal, but I would think that most gyms require some certification, even if your not a gym employee but an independent trainer.

carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Lopez27: Give me a break! Your 19 and not very wise, this is proven by the standard ignorant answer of "I'll have them sign a waver" News falsh a waver is only worth the paper its written on. When you hurt someone what are you going to tell the Judge? Since you have no back up like you would if you had a cert your on your own and a good lawer will tear you up and spit you out.
    There are no profetions in the world where a certification or degree means yoru good at it. By getting a cert it means you care enough to take te time to study and learn at least the basics, from there its your own drive and love of what your doing that make or break you.

jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jeffsmith2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Can't I have them sign a contract stating that if injured I am not held liable?

And I'm sorry to tell you all, most good trainers became good at what they do through their own experience and search for knowledge not through their certification that they passed a test for and paid a couple hundred dollars to get. Most good trainers that I know only got their certifications because thats what clients want to see because they think it means something not because they wanted to become better at what they do.
    You're an arrogant moron. Don't come here and tell us how to be trainers when you have nerve to even as if you should get certified.

I'm so to tell you but you should just go work at McDonalds are something. You're probably not smart enough to even complete a basic certification.

Registered User StrengthJourney's Avatar
    StrengthJourney is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrengthJourney is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrengthJourney is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrengthJourney is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrengthJourney is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrengthJourney is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrengthJourney is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrengthJourney is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrengthJourney is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrengthJourney is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrengthJourney is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    First off, where do you plan on getting a job? A gym or do you plan on training clients independently?
    As a competitive athlete, I have always been into diet and exercise. Since making my passion in fitness a career I've trained top athletes in every major sport at the collegiate and professional level. I am currently the Director of Operations at Training for Warriors where we have over 42 locations worldwide, write for various major fitness publications, and I'm a Career Firefighter.

http://www.********.com/johnthomas.michael?ref=tn_tnmn
    http://twitter.com/#!/StrengthJourney

Lmao. Why all the hate? I'll just let my results speak for themselves. If people want to hire me or be trained by me that's their choice and they can fire me whenever they like. Lol. If someone gets injured during our training session it will be their own ignorance which caused it, not my coaching.

Please keep us updated on your progress, I've run out of humorous webcomics to read.

Originally Posted by StrengthJourney View Post
    First off, where do you plan on getting a job? A gym or do you plan on training clients independently?
    I plan on training clients independently.

Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by JRRBadBoy4Life View Post
    Yes it is legal, but I would think that most gyms require some certification, even if your not a gym employee but an independent trainer.
    Yep, the only way you could train w/some actual equipment would be in your own gym... and something tells me that if you can't shell out a few hundred bucks for a cert, owning a gym, even some equipment in your home is not in your near future
    Sept of Baelor was an inside job. Wildfire can't melt stone masonry.

Originally Posted by Keltron View Post
    Yep, the only way you could train w/some actual equipment would be in your own gym... and something tells me that if you can't shell out a few hundred bucks for a cert, owning a gym, even some equipment in your home is not in your near future
    I train at 24 hour fitness. I plan on having all my clients being 24 hour fitness members as well, so how would the gym not allow me to workout with them? It would be just like were training partners.

I could certainly afford a certification I just don't think it is necessary.

Wait till the management finds out

racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Talking

Originally Posted by KyleAaron View Post
    Yeah, 24 hour Fitness will be suing his a$$ too

racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I train at 24 hour fitness. I plan on having all my clients being 24 hour fitness members as well, so how would the gym not allow me to workout with them? It would be just like were training partners.

If you are so knowledgeable, if I'm a 80 yr old man who just had two stents put in and just out of cardiac rehab, what kind of program would you set up for me?

If I'm a 50 year old woman with copd, osteoporosis, and have 30% lung function left, what can you do to help me keep the lung function I have left without sending my 02 sats plummeting. And, by the way, I'll be using 02 at the gym as well.

racejunkie, be fair, most of us (including me) wouldn't know what to do with them, either. Difference is, we know it Knowing the limits of your knowledge is important for all sorts of reasons.

Better examples would be,

35yo grossly obese desk worker wants to lose weight, what will you start him with, and how progress him over the next however long he's with you? Given a healthy diet and working with you, how long will it take for him to reach a healthy bodyweight?

33yo underweight office worker with flat back and extraordinarily tight hamstrings and restricted dorsiflexion wants to be better at triathlons, but refuses to eat a lot, what will you do with him?

20 yo healthy bodyweight physiotherapy student has had subacromial space shaved to help with supraspinatus impingement, both shoulders, and has patellar maltracking leading to chrondomalacia, wants to get stronger for triathlons, do what?

54yo property developer with a healthy bodyweight and no health issues wants to have improved yachting performance.

49yo educator, healthy bodyweight woman, low-grade MS, wants to combat her MS and "be fabulous fifty."

Just five clients I've had, off the top of my head. That's the sort of person you get as a client. No major issues, but some minor issues you have to figure out how to work with or around. Not one of them is able to perform below parallel barbell squats in their first session. So...?

LiamGTR91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamGTR91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamGTR91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamGTR91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamGTR91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamGTR91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamGTR91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamGTR91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamGTR91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamGTR91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamGTR91 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Why would you want to do such a thing?

Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

LOLOL Trust me, I was a fitness manager at 24 hour fitness. There are few things more OBVIOUS than a "trainer" training a client and making it look like they're just training partners working together.

You'll be given one warning. If you continue to workout w/that person, you'll have your membership revoked on the spot.
    Sept of Baelor was an inside job. Wildfire can't melt stone masonry.

Lopez27: Some people will never learn. If you think when a client gets hurt while your training them is their fault and the lawyer will not tear you apart then go for it.
    I would recomend you talk to a lawer or do a little goolge searching on liabilty laws before you get sued.

bhffs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bhffs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bhffs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bhffs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bhffs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bhffs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bhffs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bhffs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bhffs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bhffs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bhffs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Lmao. Why all the hate? I'll just let my results speak for themselves. If people want to hire me or be trained by me that's their choice and they can fire me whenever they like. Lol. If someone gets injured during our training session it will be their own ignorance which caused it, not my coaching.
    Famous last words. You obviously think you know better than everyone here. Why bother asking for advice if you're not willing to listen to it?
    My 9 month transformation video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPuZ3z0dKmQ

Originally Posted by racejunkie View Post
    Yeah, 24 hour Fitness will be suing his a$$ too
    Originally Posted by Keltron View Post
    LOLOL Trust me, I was a fitness manager at 24 hour fitness. There are few things more OBVIOUS than a "trainer" training a client and making it look like they're just training partners working together.

You'll be given one warning. If you continue to workout w/that person, you'll have your membership revoked on the spot.
    Oh, I didn't know that wasn't allowed.

Originally Posted by racejunkie View Post
    If you are so knowledgeable, if I'm a 80 yr old man who just had two stents put in and just out of cardiac rehab, what kind of program would you set up for me?

If I'm a 50 year old woman with copd, osteoporosis, and have 30% lung function left, what can you do to help me keep the lung function I have left without sending my 02 sats plummeting. And, by the way, I'll be using 02 at the gym as well.
    racejunkie, be fair, most of us (including me) wouldn't know what to do with them, either. Difference is, we know it Knowing the limits of your knowledge is important for all sorts of reasons.

Better examples would be,

35yo grossly obese desk worker wants to lose weight, what will you start him with, and how progress him over the next however long he's with you? Given a healthy diet and working with you, how long will it take for him to reach a healthy bodyweight?

33yo underweight office worker with flat back and extraordinarily tight hamstrings and restricted dorsiflexion wants to be better at triathlons, but refuses to eat a lot, what will you do with him?

20 yo healthy bodyweight physiotherapy student has had subacromial space shaved to help with supraspinatus impingement, both shoulders, and has patellar maltracking leading to chrondomalacia, wants to get stronger for triathlons, do what?

54yo property developer with a healthy bodyweight and no health issues wants to have improved yachting performance.

49yo educator, healthy bodyweight woman, low-grade MS, wants to combat her MS and "be fabulous fifty."

Just five clients I've had, off the top of my head. That's the sort of person you get as a client. No major issues, but some minor issues you have to figure out how to work with or around. Not one of them is able to perform below parallel barbell squats in their first session. So...?
    Like I said from a previous post, "I only plan on training a small amount". I don't plan on training random people for random goals. I plan on specializing my practice for athletes who are looking to get bigger, stronger, and faster. Specifically football players, rugby players, wrestlers, and fighters. I plan on keeping my client load at a maximum of 10 people.

Originally Posted by LiamGTR91 View Post
    Why would you want to do such a thing?
    I want to show people that hard work beats talent when talent don't work hard.

Originally Posted by carl.c View Post
    Lopez27: Some people will never learn. If you think when a client gets hurt while your training them is their fault and the lawyer will not tear you apart then go for it.
    I would recomend you talk to a lawer or do a little goolge searching on liabilty laws before you get sued.
    Originally Posted by bhffs View Post
    Famous last words. You obviously think you know better than everyone here. Why bother asking for advice if you're not willing to listen to it?
    I just had a simple question, "Can I become a personal traner without being certified?" Nothing else.

Lopez27: Not sure if you didnt get it the first ten time people posted, YOU DON'T NEED A CERT TO TRAIN PEOPLE". You are stupid to try since the legal issues alone to risky.
    Other problem is you don't want to be a personal trainer you want tobe a stregth coach. To vastly diffrent things. I can't see a athlete putting his carreer in your hands since you have no certification or degree to even prove you know what your doing or how to coach the lifts invoved.

I plan on specializing [...] Specifically football players, rugby players, wrestlers, and fighters. I plan on keeping my client load at a maximum of 10 people.
    Good.

Now, people hire you because of your
    (1) book knowledge, and/or
    (2) experience

You've rejected book knowledge. That leaves experience. What experience have you with football, rugby, wrestling and fighting?

You're 19. If you're lucky, you have 1-2 years' experience in one of those sports. Why would they hire you?

I've played rugby, and boxed. Years ago. Let's say I want to get back to it. Tell me in one hundred words or less how you can help me, demonstrate your competence.

Originally Posted by carl.c View Post
    Lopez27: Not sure if you didnt get it the first ten time people posted, YOU DON'T NEED A CERT TO TRAIN PEOPLE". You are stupid to try since the legal issues alone to risky.
    Other problem is you don't want to be a personal trainer you want tobe a stregth coach. To vastly diffrent things. I can't see a athlete putting his carreer in your hands since you have no certification or degree to even prove you know what your doing or how to coach the lifts invoved.
    That would be their choice. They can judge by my own accomplishments and what they see from their trial sessions. Then decide if they would like to keep going. I already have guys who want to work with me which is why I even thought of this in the first place.

Good.

Now, people hire you because of your
    (1) book knowledge, and/or
    (2) experience

You've rejected book knowledge. That leaves experience. What experience have you with football, rugby, wrestling and fighting?

You're 19. If you're lucky, you have 1-2 years' experience in one of those sports. Why would they hire you?

I've played rugby, and boxed. Years ago. Let's say I want to get back to it. Tell me in one hundred words or less how you can help me, demonstrate your competence.
    I rejected book knowledge because I haven't became certifed? Lol. There is this marvelous thing called the internet, and if you seek the knowledge it has the ability to teach you far more than what your basic certification program ever will. Everything anyone will ever need to know can be researched, studied, and learned on the internet.

I have played football for 6 years, wrestling for 3, boxed for 2, and mma for 2. Through high school I have made myself far more bigger, stronger, faster, and more athletic through lifting weights solely. Like I've said before people do not have to hire me if they don't want to, their choice.

I would not work with you, I only work with high school and college athletes.