Closed Thread
Page 169 of 269 FirstFirst ... 69 119 159 167 168 169 170 171 179 219 ... LastLast
Results 5,041 to 5,070 of 8051
    waqas11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) waqas11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) waqas11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) waqas11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) waqas11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) waqas11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) waqas11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) waqas11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) waqas11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) waqas11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) waqas11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Hello. I wanted to ask A few question and see if you lot are able to help me, you did last time.

1.when i started 5x5 in january my lifts went up quite alot in the first month, in the second month i stalled plus my form was off so i had to start from a much lower weight. Iv increased my calories from a surplus of 300cal to 500cal to see it will help but no luck, i count calories and macros extremley accurate!! I used a bodybugg to get my readings, my weight has increased 1.5stones since jan, and my physic is exactly the same i can see fat gains though! Is lifting not my thing?

2. Iv been eating in a surplus whist sorting form out, does it mean that since im not increasing weight every session or weekly does it mean that the surplus is pointless? The lifting weight is heavy!

3. Since my form isnt perfect but when you do a split you definetly hit that muscle, whereas if you do a full body workout you dont hit some muscles if your form is incorrect, wont it be beneficial to do a split?

Btw im skinny fat, will appreciate your help alot! Thanks.
    ☆☆☆υк ¢яєω☆☆☆

Rep 500+

rchisholm94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rchisholm94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rchisholm94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rchisholm94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rchisholm94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rchisholm94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rchisholm94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by waqas11 View Post
    Hello. I wanted to ask A few question and see if you lot are able to help me, you did last time.

1.when i started 5x5 in january my lifts went up quite alot in the first month, in the second month i stalled plus my form was off so i had to start from a much lower weight. Iv increased my calories from a surplus of 300cal to 500cal to see it will help but no luck, i count calories and macros extremley accurate!! I used a bodybugg to get my readings, my weight has increased 1.5stones since jan, and my physic is exactly the same i can see fat gains though! Is lifting not my thing?

2. Iv been eating in a surplus whist sorting form out, does it mean that since im not increasing weight every session or weekly does it mean that the surplus is pointless? The lifting weight is heavy!

3. Since my form isnt perfect but when you do a split you definetly hit that muscle, whereas if you do a full body workout you dont hit some muscles if your form is incorrect, wont it be beneficial to do a split?

You surplus should be as you 1st were dude, around 300 to minimize fat gains and as you quite rightly did you went back and corrected your form because it was sloppy.

I would 100% recommend a split it allows much more focus on muscle groups which may get you through your barrier.

Other things you can do is if possible get a spotter to help you bust out a couple more reps on the exercises after a few weeks go back try and do what you were struggling with and it should correct it's self.

Another option is for a few weeks add a bit more volume your self such as on your final set where you would struggle throw in a drop set do this for a few weeks where you were struggling and then go back and see if its fixed, this is an alternative to a spotter. This helped me massively on my dumbbell bent over rows, I had one arm slightly weaker than the other so i added a drop set in for that arm and it brought it up to speed in a couple of weeks

Hope all this helps

Peace.

Also give a preworkout a shot its another angle of trying to give you the tools to improve you strength.
    Check out my bodybuilding log at: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=144225341

N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by FrediBrown View Post
    Hey, I started exercising about 10 months ago, starting with basic push-ups and crunches , and 4 months ago I got a 44lb set of dumbbells. I exercise 3-5 times a week depending on my motivation, mainly concentrating on my upper body (I'm an ectomorph and pretty skinny) I'm really struggling to put on any weight / muscle mass even though i work out regularly, and eat like a horse.. I've been doing alot of reading on the subject and it seems if you want any serious gains you have to invest in whey protein or creatine :/ is this true ? My chest routine is roughly 150-200 press-ups n 25-40 reps/set and at weekends 3x15 dumbbell(2x22lb) bench press +3x10 incline flys (22lbx2) biceps 3x15 (22lbx2) hammer curl and 3x15 bicep curl. I'm intending to buy a barbell soon as i have a bench at home. What kind of starting weight should I take ?
    I need advice and guidance ...
    Look at your diet - make sure it is solid. You cannot expect to make gains if your diet it off.
    Look at your training - you must be training in an efficient and effective manner to make progress (whether that be strength, hypertrophy or both).
    Look at your rest - you must be getting enough rest in order to recover. Aim for about 8 hrs each night.

Good idea on investing in a barbell. Honestly, if you're new to training, I'd recommend you get on rippetoes SS. If you do not have access to a squat rack, then this will be difficult to perform safely. Alternatively, it may be worth you looking at this option:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...4195843&page=1

Consistency is crucial. Make sure you're consistent in everything you do.

You do not have to get whey and creatine to build muscle. You can use supplements if you want to. Personally, I would get them. Whey can be used to fill in any gaps in your diet and creatine is cheap and works quite well. They both have mountains of research advocating their efficacy and use.

Hope this helps

Originally Posted by waqas11 View Post

See below...

Originally Posted by rchisholm94 View Post
    You surplus should be as you 1st were dude, around 300 to minimize fat gains and as you quite rightly did you went back and corrected your form because it was sloppy.

I would 100% recommend a split it allows much more focus on muscle groups which may get you through your barrier.

Other things you can do is if possible get a spotter to help you bust out a couple more reps on the exercises after a few weeks go back try and do what you were struggling with and it should correct it's self.

Another option is for a few weeks add a bit more volume your self such as on your final set where you would struggle throw in a drop set do this for a few weeks where you were struggling and then go back and see if its fixed, this is an alternative to a spotter. This helped me massively on my dumbbell bent over rows, I had one arm slightly weaker than the other so i added a drop set in for that arm and it brought it up to speed in a couple of weeks

Hope all this helps

Peace.

Also give a preworkout a shot its another angle of trying to give you the tools to improve you strength.
    I disagree with the bold regarding splits.

I really would not recommend a split, bro.

What is your aim? Increase strength or is it more hypertrophy focused?

If it's strength, stay with a strength routine. If you've stalled on a lift, it may be time for a deload.
    If it's more hypertrophy focused, then DO NOT use a split. There simply is not enough FREQUENCY. You will be much better off on either a Push/Pull or Upper/Lower. Your standard bro split really isn't that good, especially in comparison to these options.

You could also look into adding in some assistance exercises after the main lifts of a strength routine. This assistance work can be used to (a) assist with improving the main lifts and (b) help bring up other lagging muscle groups to reduce the chances of imbalances. An example would be incorporating some rear delt and upper back work on SS.

The surplus is not pointless and I highly recommend what was suggested above. Keep it at 200-400 to minimize fat gains. If you don't care too much, then by all means, have more. It's your choice

Get your diet in check. You say you've got it sorted, but it's always good to double check these things, bro. Make sure you're getting enough rest as well and keep hitting the gym hard!

Pre-workouts are o.k., though a lot of them contain pretty useless ingredients. It is a much better alternative to get some creatine and beta alanine. Stacking these two supplements is a good idea, indeed.

Hope this helps, mate
    <<:::>> Founder, CMO, Researcher, & Writer at Spartan Supps. <<:::>>

www.********.com/spartansupps

http://spartansupplements.wordpress.com/

Switchs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am new to lifting and I started doing splits, but upon reading some stuff I decided to switch to babylover's modified SS.
    The workout calls for Chin-ups 15-20 total reps, but on the supersite I see that pullups have a higer rating. What is the difference between chin-ups and pullups? Which one should I do?

Switchs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Also, the workout calls for "Rows 3x5 SUPER STRICT" what kind of rows is this? seated cable rows? elevated cable rows?

Another thing, the workout says "MP 3x5" what does MP mean?

N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Switchs View Post
    I am new to lifting and I started doing splits, but upon reading some stuff I decided to switch to babylover's modified SS.
    The workout calls for Chin-ups 15-20 total reps, but on the supersite I see that pullups have a higer rating. What is the difference between chin-ups and pullups? Which one should I do?
    Do the chin ups as directed. They are there for a reason. Chins are a great exercise. Pull ups are great too, but I would recommend sticking with what has been set out by babylover. He knows his sh!t, brah.

Also, the workout calls for "Rows 3x5 SUPER STRICT" what kind of rows is this? seated cable rows? elevated cable rows?

Barbell rows would probably be fine:
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...ntOverRow.html

MP = Military Press

Seated cable rows are listed as optional in babylovers original thread, IIRC.

met3ork has a spectacular aura about. (+250) met3ork has a spectacular aura about. (+250) met3ork has a spectacular aura about. (+250) met3ork has a spectacular aura about. (+250) met3ork has a spectacular aura about. (+250) met3ork has a spectacular aura about. (+250) met3ork has a spectacular aura about. (+250) met3ork has a spectacular aura about. (+250) met3ork has a spectacular aura about. (+250) met3ork has a spectacular aura about. (+250) met3ork has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Im currently taking creatine, and ive recently heard about beta alaine. What is it and what does it do? Why should it be combined with creatine?

Beta alanine is an amino acid. Studies suggest that it is a good supplement to stack with creatine as it yields better results than simply using creatine on its own. With creatine, it matters little when you take it. What matters with creatine is reaching and then maintaining the saturation point. The recommended dose for beta alanine is (roughly) between 4-6g. Most take beta alanine pre-workout.

Some studies for you:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21659893
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17136944
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19083385
    Last edited by N4J4R; 04-23-2012 at 04:00 AM.

MoeBrah is not very well liked. (-100) MoeBrah is not very well liked. (-100) MoeBrah is not very well liked. (-100) MoeBrah is not very well liked. (-100) MoeBrah is not very well liked. (-100) MoeBrah is not very well liked. (-100) MoeBrah is not very well liked. (-100) MoeBrah is not very well liked. (-100) MoeBrah is not very well liked. (-100) MoeBrah is not very well liked. (-100) MoeBrah is not very well liked. (-100)
    cheers bro, will try this out, repped.

waqas11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) waqas11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) waqas11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) waqas11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) waqas11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) waqas11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) waqas11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) waqas11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) waqas11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) waqas11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) waqas11 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by N4J4R View Post
    See below...

If it's strength, stay with a strength routine. If you've stalled on a lift, it may be time for a deload.
    If it's more hypertrophy focused, then DO NOT use a split. There simply is not enough FREQUENCY. You will be much better off on either a Push/Pull or Upper/Lower. Your standard bro split really isn't that good, especially in comparison to these options.

You could also look into adding in some assistance exercises after the main lifts of a strength routine. This assistance work can be used to (a) assist with improving the main lifts and (b) help bring up other lagging muscle groups to reduce the chances of imbalances. An example would be incorporating some rear delt and upper back work on SS.

The surplus is not pointless and I highly recommend what was suggested above. Keep it at 200-400 to minimize fat gains. If you don't care too much, then by all means, have more. It's your choice

Get your diet in check. You say you've got it sorted, but it's always good to double check these things, bro. Make sure you're getting enough rest as well and keep hitting the gym hard!

Pre-workouts are o.k., though a lot of them contain pretty useless ingredients. It is a much better alternative to get some creatine and beta alanine. Stacking these two supplements is a good idea, indeed.

Hope this helps, mate
    Yh it helped, thank you very much like always you helped me out. Rep on recharge. My main aim is to look aestetic so increasing strength would be part of it.

Ill try battling it out with 5x5 a little longer and take a week break iv been at it for 4months so..
    ☆☆☆υк ¢яєω☆☆☆

Rep 500+

RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by 11Guly34 View Post
    Hi! Hmm im having this problem you see, i can clearly see and feel my upper 4 packs but lower 2 just dont want to show up, and i feel just 1 hard muscle down there and im really frustrated. Well i havent work alot on six packs and my body fat is at 17%, but still one of my friends have 8 packs and so if not that i always wished just for normal six packs. Wonder if lower 2 will ever show up :/
    Your abs will start to show up very well when you get to a lower bf%. I recommend cutting if abs are your main goal.

Super strict means that you should do them, no exceptions. Do bent over rows. If you don't know what they are, look for it on youtube.

MP = military press

I'm not a big fan of babylover's SS. He basically added front squats, rows instead of power cleans, and assistance work. Rips SS is a strenth routine, hence the name. Fuzzy (babylover) added rows because they are much better at hitting the lats, but the power clean is much better for strength/explosiveness. Rip developed the routine for athletes, which is why he only used basic compound lifts, back squats, and power cleans. Fuzzy's program is more geared towards body composition, than strength, IMO. The front squat is a great exercise, but I think beginners should stick to the old school back squat and do power cleans. If you want a more balanced program, here you go:

A- squat 3x5, bench press 3x5, deadlift 1x5, rows 3x5
    B- squat 3x5, military press 3x5, power clean 5x3

You can also do some assistance work on friday if you want. This includes dips, pull ups, arm work, calves, etc. Front squats can be used with back squats, but should never replace them.
    This post is Natypes approved.
    Natypes crew

I'm also a gun snob.

rchisholm94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rchisholm94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rchisholm94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rchisholm94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rchisholm94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rchisholm94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rchisholm94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Hope this helps, mate
    Man you really love to disagree with me, The things I have recommended have worked for me which is why I advised them for example adding a drop set.

Just to point out (Not trying to be a ***got by the way just not clear on this) you said don't do a split? then you said do push pull or upper lower which as far as I was aware was a split. But How can you argue splits they are the best way of targeting muscle groups? Unless you are on steroids stimulating them specifically once a week of every 5 days or whatever is plenty.

This is probably just a case of conflicted views but as I said i'm not trying to be a dick but I do feel your view on splits is a bit odd.

Peace.
    Check out my bodybuilding log at: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=144225341

YoungGymLuffa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Not sure if this has been asked yet but do you guys think it's better to do tri's with chest, and bi's with back? As it's hitting 'Two birds with the one stone' or would you recommend an opposing muscle group routine? Or is it just a matter of personal preferance? Thanks.

Originally Posted by YoungGymLuffa View Post
    Not sure if this has been asked yet but do you guys think it's better to do tri's with chest, and bi's with back? As it's hitting 'Two birds with the one stone' or would you recommend an opposing muscle group routine? Or is it just a matter of personal preferance? Thanks.
    Personally I had always gone with the 2 birds with one stone method but recently I changed to Back and Tris Chest and Bi's and FOR ME it has better results my biceps respond better as do my triceps, just be sure you give your body plenty of time between each workout to recover so you don't risk injuring yourself.

l3rianY has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Hi, I have a few questions regarding routines. I used to do 5 day splits filled with isolation workouts which didn't give me the gains I wanted and after reading a lot on compound exercises I decided between two routines. The upper/lower or SS. My goal is to gain mass. My currently bench/squat/deadlift 145/205/205 for 5-8 reps. I realize I'm not that strong for a 150 pound. I read that SS is more focused on strength rather than mass. So which should I focus on? Also since I heard frequency > volume, if I do end up doing upper lower, do I do upper lower twice a week? If so, do I do them consecutively, then rest or rest in between. (Upper Rest Lower Rest Upper Rest Rest ) or (Upper Lower Rest Upper Lower Rest Rest ) or (Upper rest Lower rest Upper rest Lower rest) The upper lower routine would look something like this

Upper:
    Bench Press
    Barbell Rows
    Military Press
    Dips

Lower:
    Squats
    Deadlift
    Calf Work
    *core work

RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000) RollTideNation is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Man you really love to disagree with me, The things I have recommended have worked for me which is why I advised them for example adding a drop set.

Just to point out (Not trying to be a ***got by the way just not clear on this) you said don't do a split? then you said do push pull or upper lower which as far as I was aware was a split. But How can you argue splits they are the best way of targeting muscle groups? Unless you are on steroids stimulating them specifically once a week of every 5 days or whatever is plenty.

This is probably just a case of conflicted views but as I said i'm not trying to be a dick but I do feel your view on splits is a bit odd.

Peace.
    Yes, an upper/lower or push/pull is technically a split. He is referring to a split like this:
    Mon - chest shoulders and triceps
    Wed - back and biceps
    Fri - legs

Doing an U/L, P/P, or FB is your best bet. Most splits (3,4,5, etc) work each muscle only 1x per week. This means it's a volume routine (working the muscle harder, with more total sets, but less frequency). Beginners and most intermediates are much better off doing a frequency based routine (less total sets, worked 2-3x a week). Muscle repair finishes after about 48hrs, so why wait another 6 days to work it again? Nobody is saying that your routine didn't work for you... I believe you. But, I never said that volume > frequency. Beginners/most intermediates get better results from doing powerlifting style routines with higher frequency. Yes, a 3 day split will get you results, but why do it when you can do a better routine, with better strength gains, and elevated synthesis? The muscle is done with the repair, but I'm going to wait 6 days until I work it again.... Work it 2-3x a week, and get better and faster results.

Sorry bro, but a split isn't the best routine.

No, he doesn't like to argue with you. His point is superior. Period.
    Natypes crew

I'm also a gun snob.

henov has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi guys i started working out about month ago and i'm not settled about any routine yet, but i thought about it
    and my one and only goal is looking good naked\with clothes, don't care about how strong i am or how strong i can be, just wanna be Aesthetic.
    as far as i understand i need some HST routine?
    any ideas guys on what routine i should go on for my bulking phase?

Thanks in advance.!

Originally Posted by l3rianY View Post
    Hi, I have a few questions regarding routines. I used to do 5 day splits filled with isolation workouts which didn't give me the gains I wanted and after reading a lot on compound exercises I decided between two routines. The upper/lower or SS. My goal is to gain mass. My currently bench/squat/deadlift 145/205/205 for 5-8 reps. I realize I'm not that strong for a 150 pound. I read that SS is more focused on strength rather than mass. So which should I focus on? Also since I heard frequency > volume, if I do end up doing upper lower, do I do upper lower twice a week? If so, do I do them consecutively, then rest or rest in between. (Upper Rest Lower Rest Upper Rest Rest ) or (Upper Lower Rest Upper Lower Rest Rest ) or (Upper rest Lower rest Upper rest Lower rest) The upper lower routine would look something like this

Upper:
    Bench Press
    Barbell Rows
    Military Press
    Dips

Lower:
    Squats
    Deadlift
    Calf Work
    *core work
    Just do SS. Making your own routine can be a pain. SS is the best routine for a beginner. I would recommend doing the original Rips routine. I'm not a big fan of Fuzzys. Just do rows on workout A, and power cleans on B. You can do some assistance work on friday if you would like to.

Originally Posted by henov View Post
    Hi guys i started working out about month ago and i'm not settled about any routine yet, but i thought about it
    and my one and only goal is looking good naked\with clothes, don't care about how strong i am or how strong i can be, just wanna be Aesthetic.
    as far as i understand i need some HST routine?
    any ideas guys on what routine i should go on for my bulking phase?

Thanks in advance.!
    SS. See above.

Eat a calorie surplus, train hard, be patient. Go to the nutrition section and read some stickies to find your maintenance level.
    Natypes crew

I'm also a gun snob.

291546533 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 291546533 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 291546533 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 291546533 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 291546533 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 291546533 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 291546533 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 291546533 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 291546533 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 291546533 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 291546533 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    which workout routine is most efficient for someone who began lifting december 2011 and has been on a split, chest/tri, back/bi, shoulders/legs.

full body routine
    push/pull/legs
    upper/lower
    3 day split(as I mentioned)
    or simply rippletoe's.

I read a thread where a guy posted a full body routine of his and am wondering if it is good or not.
    Day ? 1
    Chest - Flat Barbell Bench Press
    Back ? Lat Pulldowns
    Legs ? Squats
    Shoulders ? Lateral Raises
    Biceps ? Barbell Curls
    Triceps ? Cable Extensions

Day ? 2
    Chest ? Dumbbell Flyes
    Back ? Deadlifts
    Legs ? Superset Leg Curls and Extensions
    Shoulders ? Military/Push Press
    Biceps - Hammer Curls
    Triceps ? Skull Crushes

Day ? 3
    Chest ? Incline Barbell Bench Press
    Back ? Weighted Chinups/Pullups
    Legs ? Squats/Leg Press
    Shoulders ? Seated Overhead Dumbbell Press
    Biceps ? Concentration Curls
    Triceps ? Weighted Dips

Originally Posted by 291546533 View Post
    which workout routine is most efficient for someone who began lifting december 2011 and has been on a split, chest/tri, back/bi, shoulders/legs.

full body routine
    push/pull/legs
    upper/lower
    3 day split(as I mentioned)
    or simply rippletoe's.

I read a thread where a guy posted a full body routine of his and am wondering if it is good or not.
    Day ? 1
    Chest - Flat Barbell Bench Press
    Back ? Lat Pulldowns
    Legs ? Squats
    Shoulders ? Lateral Raises
    Biceps ? Barbell Curls
    Triceps ? Cable Extensions

Day ? 2
    Chest ? Dumbbell Flyes
    Back ? Deadlifts
    Legs ? Superset Leg Curls and Extensions
    Shoulders ? Military/Push Press
    Biceps - Hammer Curls
    Triceps ? Skull Crushes

Day ? 3
    Chest ? Incline Barbell Bench Press
    Back ? Weighted Chinups/Pullups
    Legs ? Squats/Leg Press
    Shoulders ? Seated Overhead Dumbbell Press
    Biceps ? Concentration Curls
    Triceps ? Weighted Dips
    Either push/pull, upper/lower, or Rips SS. Preferably Rips.
    Natypes crew

I'm also a gun snob.

Peace.
    See below.

Originally Posted by RollTideNation View Post
    Yes, an upper/lower or push/pull is technically a split. He is referring to a split like this:
    Mon - chest shoulders and triceps
    Wed - back and biceps
    Fri - legs

Doing an U/L, P/P, or FB is your best bet. Most splits (3,4,5, etc) work each muscle only 1x per week. This means it's a volume routine (working the muscle harder, with more total sets, but less frequency). Beginners and most intermediates are much better off doing a frequency based routine (less total sets, worked 2-3x a week). Muscle repair finishes after about 48hrs, so why wait another 6 days to work it again? Nobody is saying that your routine didn't work for you... I believe you. But, I never said that volume > frequency. Beginners/most intermediates get better results from doing powerlifting style routines with higher frequency. Yes, a 3 day split will get you results, but why do it when you can do a better routine, with better strength gains, and elevated synthesis? The muscle is done with the repair, but I'm going to wait 6 days until I work it again.... Work it 2-3x a week, and get better and faster results.

Sorry bro, but a split isn't the best routine.

No, he doesn't like to argue with you. His point is superior. Period.
    This. Bold especially. I do not like arguing with people.

Countless times we have kids coming in here (and in the regular TBB section) asking 'critique my split!' or 'what split should I do?'. 99% of the time, these kids have (a) NO clue what they're doing (b) NO strength foundation or much time spent under the bar with the 'Big Three Lifts' and (c) Are referring to your stereotypical 'bro split' i.e. Monday chest/bis, Wednesday legs/abs etc. You know what happens when kids start these threads? They get replies...from either (a) Other kids who have no clue what they're doing (b) trolls (c) people insulting them rather than answering the damn question (d) (very rarely) a reputable poster. As a result, these kids are left wondering what to do and are left to decide for themselves. This, IMO, is NOT what a forum is for. Members are supposed to HELP others. This is why I'm happy to help anyone ITT (I no longer check PMs). I used to post frequently on this site but have since switched forums (personal reasons). I now only post a few times. This thread allows kids to ask WHATEVER they want as long as it pertains to bodybuilding/powerlifting/lifting etc. As a respondant ITT, I feel that it is our responsibility to answer with the BEST possible response and AS MUCH ACCURATE information as possible. This is why I post a lot of studies to back up either controversial issues (eg. artificial sweeteners) or supplement efficacy (eg. beta alanine). As was clearly pointed out in both my previous post as well as RTNs above, there is simply not enough FREQUENCY in these sorts of splits. Yes, P/P U/L are forms of splits, but whenever I talk about SPLITS, I'm referring to your typical BRO split. New lifters should NOT waste time on these routines. I'm not saying you can't make gains off of it, because you can. I'm saying that in comparison to something like an U/L or P/P, they are inferior for beginner and intermediate lifters in essentially MOST cases.

dvg2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dvg2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dvg2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dvg2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dvg2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dvg2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dvg2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dvg2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dvg2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dvg2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dvg2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    when should you deload on ss,after how many fail sessions?

Originally Posted by dvg2 View Post
    when should you deload on ss,after how many fail sessions?
    I recommend checking out this site: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Program

It has plenty of information that you'll find useful whilst running SS. Check it out, buddy

odangdude will become famous soon enough. (+50) odangdude will become famous soon enough. (+50) odangdude will become famous soon enough. (+50) odangdude will become famous soon enough. (+50) odangdude will become famous soon enough. (+50) odangdude will become famous soon enough. (+50) odangdude will become famous soon enough. (+50) odangdude will become famous soon enough. (+50) odangdude will become famous soon enough. (+50) odangdude will become famous soon enough. (+50) odangdude will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    hey so i just started an SS program today. im doing AXBXAXB and i was wondering if it would be ok to work out my core on the X's and maybe a little cardio. will this affect recovery or strength gains?
    Last edited by odangdude; 04-23-2012 at 07:58 PM.

Originally Posted by odangdude View Post
    hey so i just started an SS program today. im doing AXBXAXB and i was wondering if it would be ok to work out my core on the X's and maybe a little cardio. will this affect recovery or strength gains?
    Just to clarify, are X's your off/rest days?

I see no issue in doing a bit of well placed core work during off days whilst running SS. Furthermore, adding in some cardio is a good idea, IMO. Though I wouldn't necessarily recommend HIIT, LISS is a good idea. Cardio in general is a smart idea.

Neither should negatively impact upon your ability to recover. It is probably a good idea to consume additional calories to ensure you recover properly; especially if you're bulking.

Hope this helps, mate!
    Last edited by N4J4R; 04-23-2012 at 08:58 PM.

See below.

Countless times we have kids coming in here (and in the regular TBB section) asking 'critique my split!' or 'what split should I do?'. 99% of the time, these kids have (a) NO clue what they're doing (b) NO strength foundation or much time spent under the bar with the 'Big Three Lifts' and (c) Are referring to your stereotypical 'bro split' i.e. Monday chest/bis, Wednesday legs/abs etc. You know what happens when kids start these threads? They get replies...from either (a) Other kids who have no clue what they're doing (b) trolls (c) people insulting them rather than answering the damn question (d) (very rarely) a reputable poster. As a result, these kids are left wondering what to do and are left to decide for themselves. This, IMO, is NOT what a forum is for. Members are supposed to HELP others. This is why I'm happy to help anyone ITT (I no longer check PMs). I used to post frequently on this site but have since switched forums (personal reasons). I now only post a few times. This thread allows kids to ask WHATEVER they want as long as it pertains to bodybuilding/powerlifting/lifting etc. As a respondant ITT, I feel that it is our responsibility to answer with the BEST possible response and AS MUCH ACCURATE information as possible. This is why I post a lot of studies to back up either controversial issues (eg. artificial sweeteners) or supplement efficacy (eg. beta alanine). As was clearly pointed out in both my previous post as well as RTNs above, there is simply not enough FREQUENCY in these sorts of splits. Yes, P/P U/L are forms of splits, but whenever I talk about SPLITS, I'm referring to your typical BRO split. New lifters should NOT waste time on these routines. I'm not saying you can't make gains off of it, because you can. I'm saying that in comparison to something like an U/L or P/P, they are inferior for beginner and intermediate lifters in essentially MOST cases.
    Nicely said!! We should all be happy that we get help from you, the information and advise you provide is quality!! Would rep again but on spread, if anyone hasnt repped him i suggest they do, he has got some amazing information going in this thread! Keep it up
    ☆☆☆υк ¢яєω☆☆☆

Rep 500+

See below.

Not trying to cause arguments dude just putting my opinon across, I may be "new" but my dad had been doing it for many years and he has always used some variant of a 4 day split from the off, you may think its broscience but for me it works and for many people it has, just saying, everyone is entitiled to there view.

Not trying to cause arguments dude just putting my opinon across, I may be "new" but my dad had been doing it for many years and he has always used some variant of a 4 day split from the off, you may think its broscience but for me it works and for many people it has, just saying, everyone is entitiled to there view.
    Yea you do have a right to put your point across, somtimes you will get disagreements but dont worry about it! Your just sharing what you know. Keep posting and keep the thread alive. Rep on recharge.
    ☆☆☆υк ¢яєω☆☆☆

Rep 500+

smllagmay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Im 200 lbs, possibly 15% body fat, 6ft, and 19yrs old

Should I cut or bulk first?

If cut, is it possible to eat lesser calories and gain muscle?
    If bulk, is it possible to eat more calories and burn fat?

What type of exercise routine goes well with cutting/bulking? split/full body/upper-lower

Originally Posted by smllagmay View Post
    Im 200 lbs, possibly 15% body fat, 6ft, and 19yrs old

Should I cut or bulk first?

If cut, is it possible to eat lesser calories and gain muscle?
    If bulk, is it possible to eat more calories and burn fat?

What type of exercise routine goes well with cutting/bulking? split/full body/upper-lower
    At 15% it is completely up to personal preference what you want to do in terms of cutting or bulking. If you're unhappy with the fat you're currently carrying, then cut. If you're content with how you look now in terms of body fat, then bulk.

What are your current lifts like? How new are you to training?

If you're new to training, then I recommend getting on a program like babylovers modified SS. You can run this when you cut or bulk. I highly recommend strength programs when cutting because when in a caloric deficit, it is usually very hard to gain any decent amounts of lean tissue. However, if you run a strength program you can usually maintain and in some cases, slightly increase your strength whilst cutting. Obviously, strength gains are better when eating at a surplus.

Muscle gains during a deficit are usually not very good for the vast majority of people. The obese who are previously untrained can usually build lean tissue whilst losing fat during a cut. To keep things simple, use bulks to gain lean tissue and cuts to lose unwanted fat.

At 15% bf, I would probably recommend doing a small cut to about 10-12%. I would then recommend clean bulking. For the cut, I would suggest babylovers SS if you're new to training. If you still wish to work on strength, then continue using it for your bulk. If you're dead set on only doing some sort of hypertrophy specific program, then I recommend a push/pull or Upper/lower routine for your bulk. Ultimately, what program(s) your select are completely up to you at the end of the day.

I hope this helps, mate!

EDIT: This article may be of interest to you:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...muscle-qa.html

Closed Thread
Page 169 of 269 FirstFirst ... 69 119 159 167 168 169 170 171 179 219 ... LastLast