Closed Thread
Page 102 of 269 FirstFirst ... 2 52 92 100 101 102 103 104 112 152 202 ... LastLast
Results 3,031 to 3,060 of 8051
    Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000) Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000) Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000) Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000) Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000) Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000) Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000) Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000) Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000) Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000) Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by wygdwicfy View Post
    Both every other day? Sounds like a bit much to me.

Yeah, both are pretty low, and your if you were doing squats with incorrect form, thats a setback. You can expect them to eventually fall in to place by themselves.
    Well, I weigh 121.5 pounds, so I didn't think that my bench was too low...

My dead lift is 145

And yeah: these are all 2x8.

But yeah, I need to know: how exactly to fix the proportions?

wygdwicfy is just really nice. (+1000) wygdwicfy is just really nice. (+1000) wygdwicfy is just really nice. (+1000) wygdwicfy is just really nice. (+1000) wygdwicfy is just really nice. (+1000) wygdwicfy is just really nice. (+1000) wygdwicfy is just really nice. (+1000) wygdwicfy is just really nice. (+1000) wygdwicfy is just really nice. (+1000) wygdwicfy is just really nice. (+1000) wygdwicfy is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Jeffbelittle View Post
    Well, I weigh 121.5 pounds, so I didn't think that my bench was too low...

My dead lift is 145

And yeah: these are all 2x8.

But yeah, I need to know: how exactly to fix the proportions?
    With time they will fix themselves.
    Need a bit of change for sups? This is what I use, and its totally legit.
    http://www.cashcrate.com/2476533
    The story of my life, a must read:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=635736623#post635736623
    Pm me if you have any questions/concerns or need advice about drugs or depression.
    1K+
    Reps for life: Strength.Honor, N4J4R, Spiderman997
    Lifetime goals. B: 545, S: 700ATG D:850. Haters gonna hate, but I WILL accomplish them.

N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by smiffy180 View Post
    Hello all and thanks for your time. Hopefully im in the right bit but if not my bad dont slate me please
    Its my first time back at the gym in a year and this time i want to train right.
    Basically im looking for any advice/help on what im doing right or wrong and anything else you suggest ill take on board.
    Firstly my diet is 2 meal replacements a day, one for breakfast and one at lunch. Inbetween that ill have a snack such as a banana. Later on for tea i will try to have a high protein meal. Then before bed i will have a whey protein shake containing roughly 60g of protein.
    Secondly my training is 4 days a week usually tuesday to friday. I will take a preworkout called rampage and whey protein straight after the session. The first 2 days ill do a power workout basically pushing myself which consists of legs, biceps, triceps, chest, shoulders on day one and the rest on day 2 so im trying to split it. The second 2 days more toning as im usually knackered
    Now about myself am 6 ft 3 n roughly 131kg, my body itself isnt in bad shape i just need to get rid of the dreaded love handles
    So please tell me am i going in the right direction and any suggestions?
    Cheers
    You're in the correct place

First thing I will say is I would not rely on meal replacements. Whilst they can and do help in some cases, a diet consisting of actual food is IMO, far better and in some cases, more enjoyable. Some important things you should note:
    Meal timing is essentially irrelevant in terms of its effects upon body composition. As such, there is no real need to eat every 2-3 hours so long as you're hitting your macros at the end of the day. Macros = Macronutrients which are protein, carbs and fats. Now because meal timing is essentially irrelevant, you do not have to have a protein shake immediately post workout provided you've not been training in a prefasted state. Adding to this, fasted cardio has no real benefits (see this link for some backing to my claim: http://www.alanaragon.com/myths-unde...ed-cardio.html) good old Alan Aragon

Whilst having a high protein diet can help with weight loss due to its ability to increase satiety (feeling fuller for longer) as well as having a higher thermic affect than the other macronutrients, you MUST also consume some fats and carbs. I personally do not like or recommend low carb diets. Carbs are not your enemy, surplus calories are. In order to cut, you'll want to eat 200-400 calories BELOW maintenance. Maintenance is the amount of calories needed each day in order to MAINTAIN current body weight. To help you calculate your daily macro and caloric needs, see this thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703981
    When people cut, I tend to recommend a strength program since it is usually possible to maintain or in some cases, slightly increase strength gains during the cutting period. Lean tissue gains are usually very difficult to accomplish during a caloric deficit. If you're just beginning to get back into the gym scene, then I would suggest looking at something like rippetoes SS (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=131379243). I'm a fan of this program as it allows beginners to really nut out how to perform key compound movements like bench, squat and deadlift. It also helps to build a solid strength base which is important for future training, and it IS possible to put on some lean tissue provided diet and rest are in check as well. There are other programs available, so if you want to suss them out, see this link to start with: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

The part I made bold in your above quote: I don't like the word 'tone'. IMO, this word was put out to market 'lifting' to women as the vast majority fear that lifting weights will cause them to look like Arnold Schwarzenegger. Telling them that all they're doing is toning, seems to bring in more customers. It's all about playing to and on the emotions/beliefs of your target market. IMO, You cannot 'tone' as muscle. You can allow it to become more 'defined' or visible by both decreasing body fat and increasing the actual SIZE of the muscle. Some people may in fact use the word tone to suggest what I've just said (decrease fat, increase muscle), but others don't seem to understand this point. This is just my opinion and perspective on the use of the word tone. Each to their own. /smallrant lol

I'll just touch on supplements/nutrition now:
    Supplements can and do help people to achieve their goals. However, a lot of people are simply looking for the magic bullet and the easy way out. Nothing worth having is easy and achieving the perfect body (whatever that may be) is in most cases, difficult. Let it also be known that difficult does not always mean boring or not enjoyable. Supplements should be used sparingly and only to fill any gaps in your diet. i.e. don't rely on multis to get all your micronutrients for the day. IMO, the three staple supps are Whey, a multivitamin and creatine which is optional to me. Other supps to look into getting include fish oil and maybe some glucosamine. I do not like fat burners. They are expensive and are usually just caffeine and some other ingredients which at times, aren't even conclusively proven to be beneficial. If you buy fat loss pills as it gives you some sort of motivation to keep training, then that is different. All the more power to you, I say. Pre-workout supps are o.k. but a bit overrated I think.

Thought I'd just slip this last part in, but don't fear saturated fat like most people will tend to preach. It is not as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. If you would like some studies, then please don't hesitate to ask. I'll me more than happy to provide them for you.

If you need anything else, please don't hesitate to post back ITT.

Anyways, hope this helps mate!
    <<:::>> Founder, CMO, Researcher, & Writer at Spartan Supps. <<:::>>

www.********.com/spartansupps

http://spartansupplements.wordpress.com/

Strength.Honor is a name known to all. (+5000) Strength.Honor is a name known to all. (+5000) Strength.Honor is a name known to all. (+5000) Strength.Honor is a name known to all. (+5000) Strength.Honor is a name known to all. (+5000) Strength.Honor is a name known to all. (+5000) Strength.Honor is a name known to all. (+5000) Strength.Honor is a name known to all. (+5000) Strength.Honor is a name known to all. (+5000) Strength.Honor is a name known to all. (+5000) Strength.Honor is a name known to all. (+5000)
    ^^Quality post. I agree 100%.
    www.bodyology.me

"Be Audacious."

nickrick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Sore-ness

I've been working out for a month or two and I have dnt get as sore as I used to. I do ocationally go out side of schoolto work and I do feel as of I push my self but I don't feel the burning sensation when pushing my self and sometimes not as tight. People tell me that my intensity isn't high enough but I'm not getting it, if somecan help it would be much appreciated.

itsderpxd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) itsderpxd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) itsderpxd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) itsderpxd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) itsderpxd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) itsderpxd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) itsderpxd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) itsderpxd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) itsderpxd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) itsderpxd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) itsderpxd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Looking around the forum, and have seen "clen " a lot. What is it ?

Strength.Honor is a name known to all. (+5000) Strength.Honor is a name known to all. (+5000) Strength.Honor is a name known to all. (+5000) Strength.Honor is a name known to all. (+5000) Strength.Honor is a name known to all. (+5000) Strength.Honor is a name known to all. (+5000) Strength.Honor is a name known to all. (+5000) Strength.Honor is a name known to all. (+5000) Strength.Honor is a name known to all. (+5000) Strength.Honor is a name known to all. (+5000) Strength.Honor is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by nickrick View Post
    I've been working out for a month or two and I have dnt get as sore as I used to. I do ocationally go out side of schoolto work and I do feel as of I push my self but I don't feel the burning sensation when pushing my self and sometimes not as tight. People tell me that my intensity isn't high enough but I'm not getting it, if somecan help it would be much appreciated.
    Soreness isn't an indicator of muscle growth or how well you work your muscles. For example, I hardly ever get sore anymore. My body has adapted to the stress I put on it, my diet is pretty good, and I allow my body a good amount of rest. It depends on different aspects. As long as you're hitting the gym hard, getting through your workouts in a maximum of 1.5-2 hours, and allowing yourself optimal rest and nutrition, whilst making weekly or bi-weekly progress, you shouldn't worry about how sore or tight you get after your workouts. Hope this helps! Post in this thread if you have any more questions!
    www.bodyology.me

"Be Audacious."

Originally Posted by itsderpxd View Post
    Looking around the forum, and have seen "clen " a lot. What is it ?
    Clenbuterol or "clen" is a Lipolytic (fat burner), or a banned diuretic. It is illegal and not allowed to be discussed on these forums.
    www.bodyology.me

"Be Audacious."

Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000) Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000) Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000) Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000) Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000) Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000) Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000) Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000) Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000) Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000) Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000)
    How long should it generally take to increase the dumbell weight of your bicep curls, hammer curls, and concentrated curls? It feels like I've been stuck at 25 pounds or so since I started however long ago.

Originally Posted by Jeffbelittle View Post
    How long should it generally take to increase the dumbell weight of your bicep curls, hammer curls, and concentrated curls? It feels like I've been stuck at 25 pounds or so since I started however long ago.
    Those always took me a lot longer. Probably a month or so to increase 5-10lbs at first, then it slows down significantly.
    www.bodyology.me

"Be Audacious."

FMLitsLeo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Alright I'm going to make this quick, my upper chest has gotten no progress, in mass nor strength, i do incline bench press to work it out. Also, when i do the incline bench press, i feel about the majority of the stress going to my shoulders, but i never put the bench to more than 45 degrees. I want to know how to do incline bench press the right way, i've looked up countless videos, and i try to do exactly what they say on them, but it always ends up the same with the strain being put on my shoulders, and also me sliding down the bench hitting the 6+ rep. Any help, would be GREATLY appreciated.

hell911 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hell911 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hell911 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hell911 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hell911 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hell911 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hell911 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hell911 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hell911 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hell911 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hell911 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    1. is this workout plan good or not??

day 1 (chest/triceps)
    bench press 3x10
    DB incline press 3x10
    triceps dips 3x10
    BB triceps ext 3x10

day 2 (back/biceps)
    t-bar row 3x10
    lat pull down 3x10
    one arm dumbell row 3x10
    barbell curl 3x10

day 3 (legs/shoulders)
    squats 3x10
    deadlift 3x10
    leg curl 3x10
    leg extension 3x10
    dumbell lateral raise 3x10
    military press 3x10

-----------------------------------------------
    2. also, first 3 weeks, i gained 3kg, but on 4th week, i gained nothing, i think like 0.5lbs only, why is that?

N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) N4J4R is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by FMLitsLeo View Post
    Alright I'm going to make this quick, my upper chest has gotten no progress, in mass nor strength, i do incline bench press to work it out. Also, when i do the incline bench press, i feel about the majority of the stress going to my shoulders, but i never put the bench to more than 45 degrees. I want to know how to do incline bench press the right way, i've looked up countless videos, and i try to do exactly what they say on them, but it always ends up the same with the strain being put on my shoulders, and also me sliding down the bench hitting the 6+ rep. Any help, would be GREATLY appreciated.
    Have you tried working with dumbbells? Do you have a video of you benching for us to critique? You may need extra work on your technique and although you say that you keep the bench no more than 45 degrees, it still, at its current position, be somewhat too high. Incline benching is generally harder than flat and will utilize more deltoid strength in the movement. Sounds like your chest strength may not be as good as it could be and as such, your delts are overcompensating to some extent. This is one possibility I could suggest. Try working on flat bench and building up more strength there as well. You may benefit from performing incline bench flyes as well. Furthermore, make sure your diet is in check as well as your rest. If you're lacking in these two areas, your gains in both size and strength will be hindered.

Originally Posted by hell911 View Post
    1. is this workout plan good or not??

day 1 (chest/triceps)
    bench press 3x10
    DB incline press 3x10
    triceps dips 3x10
    BB triceps ext 3x10

day 2 (back/biceps)
    t-bar row 3x10
    lat pull down 3x10
    one arm dumbell row 3x10
    barbell curl 3x10

day 3 (legs/shoulders)
    squats 3x10
    deadlift 3x10
    leg curl 3x10
    leg extension 3x10
    dumbell lateral raise 3x10
    military press 3x10

-----------------------------------------------
    2. also, first 3 weeks, i gained 3kg, but on 4th week, i gained nothing, i think like 0.5lbs only, why is that?

You could benefit from adding a few more exercises into each day, IMO.

On Chest/triceps day I would add the following:
    Incline dumbbell flyes 3 sets of 8-12
    Close Grip bench press 3 sets of 8-12
    Weighted Bench dips 2 sets of 10-12

On Back/Biceps day I would add/change the following:
    Deadlifts 3 sets of 5
    Swap 1 arm DB rows for BB bent over rows; same rep/set scheme
    Swap out lat pull downs for wide grip chin ups 3 sets of as many reps as you can do. Try to beat what you achieve each week.
    Spider curls 3 sets of 12-16 reps
    Incline Hammer Curls 2 sets of 8-12

Personally, I would put shoulders on the same day as back. I would also put biceps with tris on chest day. This leaves you with a solid leg day in which you can fully work your legs.

On Legs day I would add/change:
    Swap out Deadlifts for Straight legged Deadlfits; 3 sets of 6-10
    Add in lunges for 2 sets of 8-12
    Add in standing calf raises for 4 sets of 12-20
    Add in seated calf raises for 3 sets of 8-12

On shoulders I would add the following:
    Rear lateral raises for 3 sets of 8-12
    Dumbbell shrugs for 2 sets of 12-16
    Heavy Upright Rows for 3 sets of 6-12

Basically, I would suggest a split like this (if you want to keep it to three days). Notice How I've put legs in the middle to ensure adequate rest between a hard chest/arms day and Back/shoulders day:

Chest/Arms

Legs

Back/Shoulders

IMO, abs can be done whenever you like but I also think 2 times per week, weighted, would be adequate.

2) You gained less on the 4th work because you ate closer to, or at, maintenance. A caloric surplus will ensure weight gain. You may need to increase calories further if you want to continue adding weight.

Hope this helps!

hell911 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hell911 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hell911 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hell911 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hell911 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hell911 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hell911 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hell911 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hell911 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hell911 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hell911 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    lol, im already tired of eating more, everyday im full so i feel like vomiting everytime -_-

lol, im already tired of eating more, everyday im full so i feel like vomiting everytime -_-
    Focus on more calorie dense foods to further up your intake. If you want to gain weight, you'll have to put in the effort necessary to consume the correct amount of calories, train appropriately and rest well. Don't make yourself sick and likewise don't make excuses as to why you can't or won't achieve something. Dedication to these three things will see your success. Deviation from any of these will hinder your gains.

Dimaga has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dimaga has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dimaga has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dimaga has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dimaga has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dimaga has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dimaga has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dimaga has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dimaga has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dimaga has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dimaga has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by N4J4R View Post
    Are we talking about the average length of a madcows session? If so, then IMO, the best answer would be that it completely depends on the individual. Since it is a strength routine, you can can a large amount of rest between sets (i.e. 6 mins +) in order to allow you to hit all the reps or as close to them, for each set. As such, Strength workout routines have been known to stretch out to 2hrs +. The heavier the weight being moved, the more rest time between sets (usually) and therefore the longer the session(s) last. Furthermore, using heavier weights requires proper warmups and, IMO, a cool-down is also a good idea. Dynamic stretching both before and after training is a good place to start.

I would suggest sticking with the program and what is given to you. As you add weight, session times will no doubt get longer and harder. Focus on good form throughout each and every movement. Controlled movements and good form are a must. DO NOT bump up the weight until you can complete all the required reps and sets with proper form and under control. Rushing ahead will quickly put you behind.
    Guess I wasn't doing my full potential.. heh, I'm going tomorrow and do it. The weights should be 70-80% of my 1 Max Rep?

meaning i should not eat foods like with 50 calories??

i should aim for meals which contain like 150/200+ calories??

Dimaga has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dimaga has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dimaga has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dimaga has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dimaga has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dimaga has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dimaga has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dimaga has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dimaga has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dimaga has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dimaga has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Calorie dense foods as in, something small - medium that has a lot of calories in it. You shouldn't be eating that low of calories... Where are you going to get the energy from to do work?

Originally Posted by Dimaga View Post
    Guess I wasn't doing my full potential.. heh, I'm going tomorrow and do it. The weights should be 70-80% of my 1 Max Rep?
    For your working sets, use a weight which will allow you to complete all the reps and sets required (5x5). The information below was taken from a thread on EliteFts' forum and may be of some assistance to you. Also, this link may provide further insight into the 5x5 program: http://madcow.hostzi.com/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

Single Rep Maximum Equations and Rep Estimates

Since some people have asked here's a few ways you can do it. You can easily adapt these equations into an Excel spreadsheet. Calculators can also be found here:
    http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/maxload.htm (equation source)
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/1rm.htm

The only real value added by me is some basic algebra but at least it's here for reference. Of course, an understanding of order of operations in math is kind of essential for using the equations below (just working from inside the nests of brackets, deepest first should be fine). Otherwise, just rely on the tools above.

Brzycki's equation to determine Max load
    (not recommended if your estimate is based on more reps than around 10)

The Brzycki equation is as follows:

1RM = Weight ÷ ( 1.0278 - ( 0.0278 × Number of repetitions ) )

From there you can:

1) Calculate intensity for whatever percentage of your 1RM you deem appropriate

2) Reverse the formula to back out your maximum weight with any number of reps:

Weight = 1RM X ( 1.0278 - ( 0.0278 × Desired number of repetitions ) )

An alternative equation to determine Max load

The alternative equation is as follows:

1RM = Weight × ( 1 + ( 0.033 × Number of repetitions ) )

The corresponding reversed equation is:

Weight = 1RM ÷ ( 1 + ( 0.033 × Desired number of repetitions ) )
    Hope this helps and answers your question, mate

EDIT: This link may also help. Just found it in my bookmarks: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...&highlight=5x5
    Last edited by N4J4R; 10-10-2011 at 12:46 AM.

See below.

Originally Posted by Dimaga View Post
    Calorie dense foods as in, something small - medium that has a lot of calories in it. You shouldn't be eating that low of calories... Where are you going to get the energy from to do work?
    x2 on this. Foods like peanut butter and olive oil. Nuts like cashews and almonds, fruit like dates (both dried and fresh), meat/animal products like chicken with skin on rather than off or salmon/sardines rather than tuna. Oats are another decent calorie source. The amount of calories per 'meal' completely depends on what will best fit your macros.
    There is no such thing as a hard-gainer. There are only under-eaters.
    Last edited by N4J4R; 10-10-2011 at 12:52 AM.

FMLitsLeo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    [QUOTE=N4J4R;763790443]Have you tried working with dumbbells? Do you have a video of you benching for us to critique? You may need extra work on your technique and although you say that you keep the bench no more than 45 degrees, it still, at its current position, be somewhat too high. Incline benching is generally harder than flat and will utilize more deltoid strength in the movement. Sounds like your chest strength may not be as good as it could be and as such, your delts are overcompensating to some extent. This is one possibility I could suggest. Try working on flat bench and building up more strength there as well. You may benefit from performing incline bench flyes as well. Furthermore, make sure your diet is in check as well as your rest. If you're lacking in these two areas, your gains in both size and strength will be hindered.

thanks for the reply man, and actually i have not used dumbells in my workouts, i never owned any, but i just got a pair today, and I'm definitely looking forward to using them. Dumbells get better results i presume? And I don't actually have any video's of me lifting. sorry. But yeah, i mean my chest has gotten bigger over all, but it's just like the upper middle part, where it slopes downward. But yeah i need to fix my dieting and resting as well. Thanks again man!

Originally Posted by FMLitsLeo View Post
    thanks for the reply man, and actually i have not used dumbells in my workouts, i never owned any, but i just got a pair today, and I'm definitely looking forward to using them. Dumbells get better results i presume? And I don't actually have any video's of me lifting. sorry. But yeah, i mean my chest has gotten bigger over all, but it's just like the upper middle part, where it slopes downward. But yeah i need to fix my dieting and resting as well. Thanks again man!
    I wouldn't say that DBs get better results and nor would I say that they give worse results; but they do have their benefits. Benefits include a greater ROM (Range Of Motion) during exercises like shoulder presses and benching. Give DB benching a shot and see how it goes. Definitely important to get your diet and rest in check as well, bro. Let us know who it all goes and if you need anything else, please don't hesitate to post back ITT asap.

smiffy180 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

You're in the correct place

First thing I will say is I would not rely on meal replacements. Whilst they can and do help in some cases, a diet consisting of actual food is IMO, far better and in some cases, more enjoyable. Some important things you should note:
    Meal timing is essentially irrelevant in terms of its effects upon body composition. As such, there is no real need to eat every 2-3 hours so long as you're hitting your macros at the end of the day. Macros = Macronutrients which are protein, carbs and fats. Now because meal timing is essentially irrelevant, you do not have to have a protein shake immediately post workout provided you've not been training in a prefasted state. Adding to this, fasted cardio has no real benefits (see this link for some backing to my claim

Whilst having a high protein diet can help with weight loss due to its ability to increase satiety (feeling fuller for longer) as well as having a higher thermic affect than the other macronutrients, you MUST also consume some fats and carbs. I personally do not like or recommend low carb diets. Carbs are not your enemy, surplus calories are. In order to cut, you'll want to eat 200-400 calories BELOW maintenance. Maintenance is the amount of calories needed each day in order to MAINTAIN current body weight. To help you calculate your daily macro and caloric needs, see this thread
    When people cut, I tend to recommend a strength program since it is usually possible to maintain or in some cases, slightly increase strength gains during the cutting period. Lean tissue gains are usually very difficult to accomplish during a caloric deficit. If you're just beginning to get back into the gym scene, then I would suggest looking at something like rippetoes SS. I'm a fan of this program as it allows beginners to really nut out how to perform key compound movements like bench, squat and deadlift. It also helps to build a solid strength base which is important for future training, and it IS possible to put on some lean tissue provided diet and rest are in check as well. There are other programs available, so if you want to suss them out, see this link to start with

The part I made bold in your above quote: I don't like the word 'tone'. IMO, this word was put out to market 'lifting' to women as the vast majority fear that lifting weights will cause them to look like Arnold Schwarzenegger. Telling them that all they're doing is toning, seems to bring in more customers. It's all about playing to and on the emotions/beliefs of your target market. IMO, You cannot 'tone' as muscle. You can allow it to become more 'defined' or visible by both decreasing body fat and increasing the actual SIZE of the muscle. Some people may in fact use the word tone to suggest what I've just said (decrease fat, increase muscle), but others don't seem to understand this point. This is just my opinion and perspective on the use of the word tone. Each to their own. /smallrant lol

I'll just touch on supplements/nutrition now:
    Supplements can and do help people to achieve their goals. However, a lot of people are simply looking for the magic bullet and the easy way out. Nothing worth having is easy and achieving the perfect body (whatever that may be) is in most cases, difficult. Let it also be known that difficult does not always mean boring or not enjoyable. Supplements should be used sparingly and only to fill any gaps in your diet. i.e. don't rely on multis to get all your micronutrients for the day. IMO, the three staple supps are Whey, a multivitamin and creatine which is optional to me. Other supps to look into getting include fish oil and maybe some glucosamine. I do not like fat burners. They are expensive and are usually just caffeine and some other ingredients which at times, aren't even conclusively proven to be beneficial. If you buy fat loss pills as it gives you some sort of motivation to keep training, then that is different. All the more power to you, I say. Pre-workout supps are o.k. but a bit overrated I think.

Thought I'd just slip this last part in, but don't fear saturated fat like most people will tend to preach. It is not as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. If you would like some studies, then please don't hesitate to ask. I'll me more than happy to provide them for you.

If you need anything else, please don't hesitate to post back ITT.

Anyways, hope this helps mate!
    Wow excellent post mate thanks for the info. The reason i have mrp's is because firstly i cant afford rent, bills, diesel for car, gym membership etc as a student with £100 a week on food easily spent. The second reason is because there just a convienence for me
    Secondly i have around 150g of carbs a day as i thought they were bad for you and i have a decent amount of fats. As you can imagine at about 300lbs i dont really want to be gaining more weight. Any tips for building size and strength quick? At the moment my max are:
    Leg press 10 x 500kg
    Bench 10 x 50kg (pathetic i know haha)
    Arm curl 10 x 25 kg
    Hammer curl 10 x 30kg
    So yeh you get the jist, i just struggle to gain size or maybe its just due to fat covering it up?

Originally Posted by smiffy180 View Post
    Wow excellent post mate thanks for the info. The reason i have mrp's is because firstly i cant afford rent, bills, diesel for car, gym membership etc as a student with £100 a week on food easily spent. The second reason is because there just a convienence for me
    Secondly i have around 150g of carbs a day as i thought they were bad for you and i have a decent amount of fats. As you can imagine at about 300lbs i dont really want to be gaining more weight. Any tips for building size and strength quick? At the moment my max are:
    Leg press 10 x 500kg
    Bench 10 x 50kg (pathetic i know haha)
    Arm curl 10 x 25 kg
    Hammer curl 10 x 30kg
    So yeh you get the jist, i just struggle to gain size or maybe its just due to fat covering it up?
    Meal replacements are o.k. as I said, and If they're cheaper and convenient, then go for it. Just remember not to rely on them as a sole source of nutrition. You can buy oats pretty cheap usually and they have a decent amount of fibre. Fibre is important for your health and can help with satiety and in some cases, assist with weight loss (they are also great for bulks). As I suggested in my previous post, a program like rippetoes SS would be a good option, even if you're on a cut. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if you gained some strength even whilst cutting on a program like SS. It is tried and tested and does work. Size gains are rare during a cut and if you're at a higher bf%, then the visibility of any size gains would be minor if not non-existent (depending on exactly how high your current bf% is). DO NOT LET THIS DISCOURAGE YOU. Keep pushing harder and harder. Keep fighting for what you want. A quote I love is:

"Remember that guy that gave up? Neither does anybody else."

Perseverance is one of the keys to success. IMO, contrary to popular belief, knowledge is NOT power. Why? Because I/others can give you all the information in the world, but until such a time that you apply what you have learnt, you are no closer to achieving your goals or true potential.

That's a strong leg press. Are you sure you're not reading the machine wrong? I'm guessing it's actually 500lbs and not kg. If I'm wrong I'd love to see a vid of you doing it. 500kg is a huge amount and I would be very proud if I ever did something like this (srs).
    Don't worry about your other stats you posted. Everyone starts somewhere, mate.

Please also note that it is very difficult to gain lean tissue whilst losing bodyfat (i.e. bulking without any fat gains). Sounds like you're dedicated to cutting at this time with those mrp's. If you check that thread link I posted for calculating macro and calorie needs, it should assist you in calculating how many calories you'll need in order to cut. You'll want to lose approximately 0.5 - 1 pound per week. Don't rush things. Take it slow. Protein intake should, IMO, be boosted on a cut to roughly 1.7-2g per kg of bodyweight. If you feel the need to consume more than this, please by all means do so. Just make sure that you're still in a deficit at the end of the day.

Cardio is a great tool to both keep you fit as well as use up some extra calories.

Hope this helps, mate!
    Last edited by N4J4R; 10-10-2011 at 06:34 AM.

smiffy180 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Meal replacements are o.k. as I said, and If they're cheaper and convenient, then go for it. Just remember not to rely on them as a sole source of nutrition. You can buy oats pretty cheap usually and they have a decent amount of fibre. Fibre is important for your health and can help with satiety and in some cases, assist with weight loss (they are also great for bulks). As I suggested in my previous post, a program like rippetoes SS would be a good option, even if you're on a cut. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if you gained some strength even whilst cutting on a program like SS. It is tried and tested and does work. Size gains are rare during a cut and if you're at a higher bf%, then the visibility of any size gains would be minor if not non-existent (depending on exactly how high your current bf% is). DO NOT LET THIS DISCOURAGE YOU. Keep pushing harder and harder. Keep fighting for what you want. A quote I love is:

"Remember that guy that gave up? Neither does anybody else."

Perseverance is one of the keys to success. IMO, contrary to popular belief, knowledge is NOT power. Why? Because I/others can give you all the information in the world, but until such a time that you apply what you have learnt, you are no closer to achieving your goals or true potential.

That's a strong leg press. Are you sure you're not reading the machine wrong? I'm guessing it's actually 500lbs and not kg. If I'm wrong I'd love to see a vid of you doing it. 500kg is a huge amount and I would be very proud if I ever did something like this (srs).
    Don't worry about your other stats you posted. Everyone starts somewhere, mate.

Please also note that it is very difficult to gain lean tissue whilst losing bodyfat (i.e. bulking without any fat gains). Sounds like you're dedicated to cutting at this time with those mrp's. If you check that thread link I posted for calculating macro and calorie needs, it should assist you in calculating how many calories you'll need in order to cut. You'll want to lose approximately 0.5 - 1 pound per week. Don't rush things. Take it slow. Protein intake should, IMO, be boosted on a cut to roughly 1.7-2g per kg of bodyweight. If you feel the need to consume more than this, please by all means do so. Just make sure that you're still in a deficit at the end of the day.

Cardio is a great tool to both keep you fit as well as use up some extra calories.

Hope this helps, mate!
    cheers again and yes it is 500kg, its on the 45degree angle one? Like the one ronnie coleman set the world record on. My legs are my strong point as there used with alot of the activities i do ill get a vid when i can, should be able to nag the gf to come and record it i only do it once a week though to recover from it haha

Ludicrous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ludicrous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ludicrous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ludicrous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ludicrous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ludicrous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ludicrous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ludicrous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ludicrous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ludicrous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ludicrous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm kinda confused as to what to take when.

I was thinking:

Casein in the morning (30g)
    Whey after the workout(40g)
    Casein before bed(30g)

Reason for casein in the morning, is that I get really hungry in school, and can't really eat anything there. So I figured since casein is a slow-releasing protein, it would stop my hunger, at least for a bit.

Thoughts on my idea?

Thanks in advance guys

wygdwicfy is just really nice. (+1000) wygdwicfy is just really nice. (+1000) wygdwicfy is just really nice. (+1000) wygdwicfy is just really nice. (+1000) wygdwicfy is just really nice. (+1000) wygdwicfy is just really nice. (+1000) wygdwicfy is just really nice. (+1000) wygdwicfy is just really nice. (+1000) wygdwicfy is just really nice. (+1000) wygdwicfy is just really nice. (+1000) wygdwicfy is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Ludicrous View Post
    I'm kinda confused as to what to take when.

I was thinking:

Casein in the morning (30g)
    Whey after the workout(40g)
    Casein before bed(30g)

Reason for casein in the morning, is that I get really hungry in school, and can't really eat anything there. So I figured since casein is a slow-releasing protein, it would stop my hunger, at least for a bit.

Thoughts on my idea?

Thanks in advance guys
    Pretty typical. At least for those that actually use casein.
    Pm me if you have any questions/concerns or need advice about drugs or depression.
    1K+
    Lifetime goals. B: 545, S: 700ATG D:850. Haters gonna hate, but I WILL accomplish them.

Ludicrous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ludicrous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ludicrous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ludicrous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ludicrous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ludicrous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ludicrous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ludicrous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ludicrous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ludicrous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ludicrous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by wygdwicfy View Post
    Pretty typical. At least for those that actually use casein.
    so that would be good to do?

or could I take whey in the morning instead of casein. I have 2,3kg of whey and 950g of casein atm, so yeah. Needa figure out how to split it
    Last edited by Ludicrous; 10-10-2011 at 11:51 AM.

Alihozani has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alihozani has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alihozani has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alihozani has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alihozani has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Munster13 View Post
    I've been working out for a little over a month and I seem to be getting stronger, but I'm not putting on any weight. Any suggestions?
    EAT MORE! Lots of chicken for protein, and brown rices and whole grain.wheat products to get your complex carbs, some simple carbs wont hurt either.
    Creator of the Rush Stack Series:
    Turbo Rush
    Karbo-Rush
    Growth Rush
    Test Rush GH

Originally Posted by Ludicrous View Post
    so that would be good to do?

or could I take whey in the morning instead of casein. I have 2,3kg of whey and 950g of casein atm, so yeah. Needa figure out how to split it
    Well yeah, you could. Casein would be a bit more practical in the morning, but whey will work just fine.
    1K+

Closed Thread
Page 102 of 269 FirstFirst ... 2 52 92 100 101 102 103 104 112 152 202 ... LastLast