fromskinny2big is on a distinguished road. (+10) fromskinny2big is on a distinguished road. (+10) fromskinny2big is on a distinguished road. (+10) fromskinny2big is on a distinguished road. (+10) fromskinny2big is on a distinguished road. (+10) fromskinny2big is on a distinguished road. (+10) fromskinny2big is on a distinguished road. (+10) fromskinny2big is on a distinguished road. (+10) fromskinny2big is on a distinguished road. (+10) fromskinny2big is on a distinguished road. (+10) fromskinny2big is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Reps going down after each set!! anything wrong?

Today was my biceps day, I did 3 sets of barbell curl @ 10kilos

My goal was to reach 10 reps which i achieved in my first set, but it started reducing in my second and third sets going down in 8 and 5 respectively.. i was barely able to hang on..

why is this happening. and if possible how can i maintain my reps for a particular excercise

thanks

Mr.NoPrint is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr.NoPrint is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr.NoPrint is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr.NoPrint is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr.NoPrint is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr.NoPrint is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr.NoPrint is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr.NoPrint is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr.NoPrint is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr.NoPrint is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr.NoPrint is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    thats called fatigue. Its what youre after. If youre doing 3 sets of exactly 10 reps and then stopping youre lucky if youre last set is at an acceptable intensity.

Its better to aim for 8-12 reps. Pick you weight for the first set. Then reassess whether or not youll be able to lift the same weight or if you can go up or you should lower the weight to fail within that 8-12 range.

fromskinny2big is on a distinguished road. (+10) fromskinny2big is on a distinguished road. (+10) fromskinny2big is on a distinguished road. (+10) fromskinny2big is on a distinguished road. (+10) fromskinny2big is on a distinguished road. (+10) fromskinny2big is on a distinguished road. (+10) fromskinny2big is on a distinguished road. (+10) fromskinny2big is on a distinguished road. (+10) fromskinny2big is on a distinguished road. (+10) fromskinny2big is on a distinguished road. (+10) fromskinny2big is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Mr.NoPrint View Post
    thats called fatigue. Its what youre after. If youre doing 3 sets of exactly 10 reps and then stopping youre lucky if youre last set is at an acceptable intensity.

Its better to aim for 8-12 reps. Pick you weight for the first set. Then reassess whether or not youll be able to lift the same weight or if you can go up or you should lower the weight to fail within that 8-12 range.
    Thanks for the Advice, so you are saying that i should reduce the weight as i go down on each set kind off like reverse pyramid sets, as maintaining my rep range is key and not the weights themselves.

I don't know how i'll progress, which is to go heavier each week, but i'll experiment with this.

any other thoughts guys!!!

geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    There are many ways to approach it. You could reduce the weight to keep getting 10 reps per set. I think you'll find that to be a less common approach. I prefer what NoPrint describes, having a rep range and staying in it.

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    to make it more confusing....how long do you rest between sets?? Be aware, the less u rest between sets, the more the reps will fall as u describe

sounds like u rest about 30 seconds, lol.

try resting more like 75-90 seconds between sets for arms. a little longer for bigger muscles like legs/back etc

if u r going to only rest perhaps 30 seconds, then u will probably have to reduce the weight on the next sets etc. sometimes u may keep the same weight on the 2nd set but u can tell it has to be reduced on the 3rd set

some people lieke to move faster like that for a pump and muscle fatigue, some move slower for more of a strength type routine

as stated before, there r MANY ways to approach lifting. just get a constant approach going and watch to see improvement etc.
    "Humility comes before honor"

Tharsos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tharsos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tharsos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tharsos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tharsos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tharsos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tharsos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tharsos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tharsos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tharsos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tharsos is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You shouldn't be training to failure every set

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by John Prophet View Post
    to make it more confusing....how long do you rest between sets?? Be aware, the less u rest between sets, the more the reps will fall as u describe

sounds like u rest about 30 seconds, lol.

try resting more like 75-90 seconds between sets for arms. a little longer for bigger muscles like legs/back etc

if u r going to only rest perhaps 30 seconds, then u will probably have to reduce the weight on the next sets etc. sometimes u may keep the same weight on the 2nd set but u can tell it has to be reduced on the 3rd set

some people lieke to move faster like that for a pump and muscle fatigue, some move slower for more of a strength type routine

as stated before, there r MANY ways to approach lifting. just get a constant approach going and watch to see improvement etc.
    This. Although fatigue is normal, rest intervals have great influence on preventing premature fatigue. I prefer to ramp upwards in consecutive sets, and therefore inevitably my repetition count will decrease. However, by keep my rest intervals slightly longer, I can recuperate enough to reach my repetition goal.

By the way, John Prophet, long time no see.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by DJAuto
    Thanks bro, been on the sidelines for a while, lol. feels good to be back with the iron etc. Thanks for the mention
    Last edited by John Prophet; 07-03-2011 at 06:38 PM.
    "Humility comes before honor"

SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by DJAuto View Post

X2,

The forum is much improved with him in it.

s3an87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) s3an87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) s3an87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) s3an87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) s3an87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) s3an87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) s3an87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) s3an87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) s3an87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) s3an87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) s3an87 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Rest for 1-2 minutes, and don't go to failure on your first 2 sets. Stop when you feel like you can squeeze about 2 more reps.