BigDubDieseI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigDubDieseI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigDubDieseI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigDubDieseI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigDubDieseI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Hammer vs Close Grip for Bis?

I was just curious which you would regard as being a more effective pullup for biceps a close hammer grip pull or a regular close grip pull up? Is there a big difference between the two as far as results and what bodyparts are worked or is it just personal preference?

paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by BigDubDieseI View Post
    I was just curious which you would regard as being a more effective pullup for biceps a close hammer grip pull or a regular close grip pull up? Is there a big difference between the two as far as results and what bodyparts are worked or is it just personal preference?
    Hammer seems to hit my forearms pretty hard.
    ---------------------------------------
    Paul V

Misc Holy Spirit Crew
    Misc Epilepsy Crew
    Misc Dallas Crew
    Misc Over 40 crew
    *Old Misc Crew*

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Grip with palms facing towards you, or hammer grip.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

BigDubDieseI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigDubDieseI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigDubDieseI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigDubDieseI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigDubDieseI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by DJAuto View Post
    Grip with palms facing towards you, or hammer grip.
    yeah those are the two I am deciding between, thats why I was curious what the difference between them is or what you would recommend, primarily for mass i guess

LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    idk bro, i always liked both of those as a lat exercise. for bis, try curling. imo, if you grow from chins then you will grow very well from curls. i like db curls, both regular and hammer.

as for cg chins and hammer chins, i like cg chins better.
    Best Raw USAPL Competition Lifts
    S - 415
    B - 315
    D - 540
    Total - 1245

Training Log

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153130001&p=1052251991#post1052251991

papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    yeah those are the two I am deciding between, thats why I was curious what the difference between them is or what you would recommend, primarily for mass i guess
    Use a close, supinated-grip: http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Lati...andChinup.html

82web has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Besides the lats, which if you are doing pulls or chins will be the primary muscle group used. The bis and brachialis are secondary movers. If you are performing basic chin-ups palms facing you primarily working biceps. When you position palms facing eachother you will work more of the biceps brachialis. This muscle basically lies between the bis and the tris and will give you greater overall thickness of the arm, but will not increase the peak of the bis. It is a good substitute for hammers

raysmith is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) raysmith is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) raysmith is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) raysmith is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) raysmith is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) raysmith is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) raysmith is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) raysmith is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) raysmith is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) raysmith is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) raysmith is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I like both.
    Ansew to the few pms I've gotten since popping back on-line...

NO I never got full amount back from 'him', still owed for FAKE t3 and wu fee... More than a year on I can't be bothered to carry on chasing it up.. Unfortunatly word is he is on another bb community forum still selling

SteveCNY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SteveCNY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SteveCNY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SteveCNY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SteveCNY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SteveCNY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    the only way to truly hit the bicep on a close grip pullup is it descend to a full dead hang and then reactivate the biceps and curl up again. doing partials does practicalyl nothing for the biceps with pullups

biggmatt77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) biggmatt77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) biggmatt77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) biggmatt77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) biggmatt77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) biggmatt77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) biggmatt77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) biggmatt77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) biggmatt77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) biggmatt77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    stright bar curls are great for bies. too.
    Jesus Is Love
    415 raw bench.

Originally Posted by 82web View Post
    Besides the lats, which if you are doing pulls or chins will be the primary muscle group used. The bis and brachialis are secondary movers. If you are performing basic chin-ups palms facing you primarily working biceps. When you position palms facing eachother you will work more of the biceps brachialis. This muscle basically lies between the bis and the tris and will give you greater overall thickness of the arm, but will not increase the peak of the bis. It is a good substitute for hammers
    I'm not sure if I'm right but don't pinwheel curls hit the brachialis more than hammer curls? In that case, would doing close grip hammer chins work equivilant areas to say a hammer curl in your biceps? And palms facing you would do more peak work like dumbell curls?

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)
    I do both.

Originally Posted by DiamondDelts View Post
    I do both.
    On the same day? (with back or bi workout?)

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)
    On the same day? (with back or bi workout?)
    With my bi workouts.

Close grip chins = close grip curls
    Close grip pullups = reverse curls
    Close grip hammer chins= hammer curls

Also I NEVER go all the way down because that is where the lats are stretched which is useless for what I am using them for. So I just use a 3/4 range of motion on these for arm work.
    Last edited by DiamondDelts; 02-06-2007 at 11:16 AM.

With my bi workouts.

Close grip chins= hammer curls

Also I NEVER go all the way down because that is where the lats are stretched which is useless for what I am using them for. So I just use a 3/4 range of motion on these for arm work.
    Thanks, thats a really good point about the 3/4 ROM, I didn't really think about that.

Milk does a body good. Sir_Malak's Avatar
    Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    With my bi workouts.

Close grip hammer chins= hammer curls

Yeah I get a better bicep workout doing pullups/chins using 3/4 and I will even static hold the last few reps if im feeling in the mood. My biceps have improved in both str and size due to these exercises.
    2014 Misc Raw Bench Press Contest winner in the 276lb+ 555lb lift @ ~280lbs
    2014 Obtained goal of 600+ raw bench press. Shoulder also hates me.
    2015 Lost 110 lbs and currently enjoy being healthy. Retired heavy bench press.
    2016 Stay healthy? Help others?
    2017 Staying Healthy
    2018 Might Return To The Game