LAWLER89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LAWLER89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LAWLER89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LAWLER89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LAWLER89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LAWLER89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LAWLER89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LAWLER89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LAWLER89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LAWLER89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LAWLER89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Help My Buddy Get Started (BEGINNER MISTAKES)

So here's the deal: my buddy just started going to the gym about a month ago. He's 6'0", 165 lbs. and has never lifted a weight in his life. I'm trying to get him to follow Rippetoe's SS, but he doesn't believe that lifting heavy only three or four times a week is efficient.

When reading the SS thread, his exact quote was, "See, I don't know if I believe that. I know this fat kid who did P90X and he got 'swole' as fck. And that's six times a week." He wants to hit the gym six times a week and do 5 sets of 10.

I've explained to him numerous times that his body is not acclimated to the kind of volume that HIT training includes, and that he will overtrain himself in no time. I also explained that it makes no sense to try and move weight for reps if he doesn't have a strength base to do it with. He doesn't believe that either. When I had him doing front squats after back squats, he complained and said, "Can't I just do leg press instead?"

His main reason for this behavior is that he's been going with my cousin, who is a semi-pro rugby player, and has been lifting heavy for seven years. So, he sees my cousin moving weight for sets of 10-12 and thinks that the obvious answer is to just try and mimic that behavior.

I know this has been a lengthy read, but please, help show that this isn't just some crock-pot theory I made up in my sleep one night. I can use all the articles, links, and videos I can here.
    Near, far, wherever you are...
    ...I believe that the heart does go on.
    Once more, you open the door.
    And you're here in my heart.
    And my heart will go on and on.

*HILARY/MICHELLE 2016*
    -Misc Progressive Thinkers Crew-
    {I Need Feminism Because Women Bring Us Life}

Registered Ginger Muscle Mania Matt's Avatar
    Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muscle Mania Matt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    in my experience people mainly want you to just reaffirm their beliefs or tell them what they want to hear. Countless times I have tried to help noobs, relatives, overweight people, and 95% of the time they don't heed the advice. You did well by recommending starting strength, whether or not that was the most ideal choice. It sounds like no matter what you say he just wants to do what he wants to do, and with that kind of attitude he will probably fail anyways. At least he wants to do something; who knows maybe he will do P90x and get some results out of it and get bit by the bug.

/brutal honesty.
    -[[[[------]]]]-

***Misc Cigar Crew***
    Traditional Wet Shave Crew

C0bra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) C0bra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) C0bra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) C0bra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) C0bra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) C0bra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) C0bra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) C0bra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) C0bra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) C0bra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) C0bra has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Muscle Mania Matt View Post
    in my experience people mainly want you to just reaffirm their beliefs or tell them what they want to hear. Countless times I have tried to help noobs, relatives, overweight people, and 95% of the time they don't heed the advice. You did well by recommending starting strength, whether or not that was the most ideal choice. It sounds like no matter what you say he just wants to do what he wants to do, and with that kind of attitude he will probably fail anyways. At least he wants to do something; who knows maybe he will do P90x and get some results out of it and get bit by the bug.

/brutal honesty.
    this^^^
    can't tell you how many times I have given friends and family advice when they asked for it and they completely disregarded what I've said only to continue doing what isn't working for them
    Raw Meet PR's

Squat: 405
    Bench: 270
    Dead: 465

madavatar22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madavatar22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madavatar22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madavatar22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madavatar22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madavatar22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madavatar22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madavatar22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madavatar22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madavatar22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madavatar22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    you are right to steer him in the right direction but if he wont listen then thats all you can do. i have had the same problem with a guy at my gym and no matter what i say he wont change.

but on a side note its cool that you are willing to help the guy,most of the "big boys" that i have met are so obsessed with themselves that they wont help out a noob.
    Squats hurting you???.........SUCK IT UP PRINCESS!!!!

Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Muscle Mania Matt View Post

/brutal honesty.
    this

I never try to help people with lifting. I'll offer some quick advice when people ask, but that's about it. People are only going to do what they want to do, when they want to do it. Look at smokers. You can harass them, tell them they're going to die etc... but, until the very moment that they decide to quit, they will not do it. Let people train the way they want to, and if they become serious enough about it, they'll do the research for themselves and start doing it right. The honest truth is that your friend will probably get the urge to do a fad w/o once or twice a year every year or so and never make any real progress at it. So, I don't know why even bother...

I know, I'm too cynical.

Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You have recommended Starting Strength, you have even explained why his plan is not ideal for his level of training. You have done all you can.

Some people listen and other people fail. Your buddy fails.

Gaash will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaash will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaash will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaash will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaash will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaash will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaash will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaash will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaash will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaash will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gaash will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Actually, if he is a beginner, as long as he eats a lot and sleeps a lot, pretty much most training programs he will see results. There is a book something like 4 hour body that might help convince him as it's not a powerlifter geared but speaks to the benefit of heavy weights only a few times a week.

Originally Posted by LAWLER89 View Post
    So here's the deal: my buddy just started going to the gym about a month ago. He's 6'0", 165 lbs. and has never lifted a weight in his life. I'm trying to get him to follow Rippetoe's SS, but he doesn't believe that lifting heavy only three or four times a week is efficient.

When reading the SS thread, his exact quote was, "See, I don't know if I believe that. I know this fat kid who did P90X and he got 'swole' as fck. And that's six times a week." He wants to hit the gym six times a week and do 5 sets of 10.

I've explained to him numerous times that his body is not acclimated to the kind of volume that HIT training includes, and that he will overtrain himself in no time. I also explained that it makes no sense to try and move weight for reps if he doesn't have a strength base to do it with. He doesn't believe that either. When I had him doing front squats after back squats, he complained and said, "Can't I just do leg press instead?"

His main reason for this behavior is that he's been going with my cousin, who is a semi-pro rugby player, and has been lifting heavy for seven years. So, he sees my cousin moving weight for sets of 10-12 and thinks that the obvious answer is to just try and mimic that behavior.

I know this has been a lengthy read, but please, help show that this isn't just some crock-pot theory I made up in my sleep one night. I can use all the articles, links, and videos I can here.

LAWLER89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LAWLER89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LAWLER89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LAWLER89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LAWLER89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LAWLER89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LAWLER89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LAWLER89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LAWLER89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LAWLER89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LAWLER89 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Appreciate it, everyone. I knew from the beginning it would probably be a failed venture, but I thought I'd try to help the guy out. Unfortunately, he's one of those people who "REALLY want to get built", but then eject as soon as they realize that they have to calculate macros, follow routines, sleep more than five hours and stop drinking Thursday through Sunday.
    Near, far, wherever you are...
    ...I believe that the heart does go on.
    Once more, you open the door.
    And you're here in my heart.
    And my heart will go on and on.

*HILARY/MICHELLE 2016*
    -Misc Progressive Thinkers Crew-
    {I Need Feminism Because Women Bring Us Life}

1015andUP has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1015andUP has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1015andUP has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1015andUP has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1015andUP has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1015andUP has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1015andUP has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1015andUP has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1015andUP has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1015andUP has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1015andUP has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by LAWLER89 View Post
    Appreciate it, everyone. I knew from the beginning it would probably be a failed venture, but I thought I'd try to help the guy out. Unfortunately, he's one of those people who "REALLY want to get built", but then eject as soon as they realize that they have to calculate macros, follow routines, sleep more than five hours and stop drinking Thursday through Sunday.
    You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink I guess... you gave good advice, and he'll hopefully realize at some point that your way is good and come over from the dark side