halobobx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

are Barbell Curls and Dumbell Curls the same thing?

I heard that they both work the same muscles and that it is only a matter of preference on which one you do, some feel that BB curls give them more "pump" than DB curls. Is this true? and would cause an issue if I would do both of the exercises, or would that be over doing it and or not efficient? Same thing with exercises like standing calf raises and seated calf raises.
    Last edited by halobobx; 06-30-2011 at 09:37 PM.

ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Curls- Not exactly the same thing, but both are excellent moves, arguably top 2(THAT is a matter of preference).
    Calf raises- Here is a much bigger difference in muscles targeted. And you can't go wrong with doing both.
    bb.com, a place that turned Deadlift into a forearm isolation exercise

and a place where 99% of 21 year olds have bad back and knees.

Knight1989 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Knight1989 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Knight1989 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Knight1989 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Knight1989 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Knight1989 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Knight1989 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Knight1989 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Knight1989 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Knight1989 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Knight1989 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Working the same muscles, but slightly differant. With the barbell, one side can compensate for the other. Dumbbells require more stabilization. I personnally feel a greater burn off of DB, but thats me. They are both great exercises can both deserve to be in any arm/bicep work out. And I dont see an issue with doing them both as long as you split it in your workout. Sometimes its nice to just hammer a certain bodypart. Otherwise variety in your workout is key. If your doing barbell curls for a while, mix it up and through in some dumbell curls, same resluts new exercise.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    biceps, abs, glutes, hams, and calves are all muscles that have to be worked subtly, among possible others.

vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    No, but they're both curls.

Godhand502 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Godhand502 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Godhand502 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Godhand502 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Godhand502 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Godhand502 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Godhand502 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Godhand502 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Godhand502 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Godhand502 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Godhand502 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by halobobx View Post
    Is this true? and would cause an issue if I would do both of the exercises, or would that be or doing it and or not efficient? Same thing with exercises like standing calf raises and seated calf raises.
    On the calf raises, it has to do with which part of the calves that it focuses on. Standing calf raises focus on the gastrocnemius, while seated calf raises focus on the soleus.
    *1,000 Pound Club*

Bench Press: 281 lbs
    Back Squat: 361 lbs
    Deadlift: 400 lbs
    Total: 1,042 lbs

Other 1RMs:

Leg Press: 840 lbs
    Donkey Calf Raise: 780 lbs
    Ground Base Squat: 480 lbs
    Iso-Lateral Wide Chest: 427 lbs
    Glute Press: 407 lbs
    Iso-Lateral High Row: 387 lbs
    Leg Curl: 328 lbs
    Barbell Row: 270 lbs
    Hand Grip: 267 lbs

Completed the Two Hundred Squat Challenge on Tuesday, September 6, 2011.
    Survived Warrior Dash (Ohio II, 2011)

That70sShowDude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) That70sShowDude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) That70sShowDude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) That70sShowDude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) That70sShowDude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) That70sShowDude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) That70sShowDude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) That70sShowDude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) That70sShowDude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) That70sShowDude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) That70sShowDude is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Pretty much the same thing, but it all depends on the angle and hand placement of the curls.

Seated and standing calf raises are different and actually work different parts of the calf. This is thoroughly explained in the calves sticky.
    100x11 weighted pull up
    Rubik's Cube - 7.08 single, 9.43 avg5, 9.97 avg12
    IG: mikekotch65

nut3lla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Not the same but both a curl, dumbbell more isolation and can focus on if 1 arm is doing more of the work on a barbell

AirForceV is a name known to all. (+5000) AirForceV is a name known to all. (+5000) AirForceV is a name known to all. (+5000) AirForceV is a name known to all. (+5000) AirForceV is a name known to all. (+5000) AirForceV is a name known to all. (+5000) AirForceV is a name known to all. (+5000) AirForceV is a name known to all. (+5000) AirForceV is a name known to all. (+5000) AirForceV is a name known to all. (+5000) AirForceV is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I find curling with a bar bell to be awkward as **** because of how the wrist is positioned.

Elvis16 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Elvis16 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Elvis16 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Elvis16 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Elvis16 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Elvis16 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Elvis16 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Elvis16 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Elvis16 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Elvis16 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Elvis16 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by halobobx View Post
    I heard that they both work the same muscles and that it is only a matter of preference on which one you do, some feel that BB curls give them more "pump" than DB curls. Is this true? and would cause an issue if I would do both of the exercises, or would that be or doing it and or not efficient? Same thing with exercises like standing calf raises and seated calf raises.
    What gives you more pump is the change of exercise or the change of routine. I mean, the person that told that barbell curls give you more pump is because probably he did it new in his routine. If you do barbell curls for 2 months and then you change to dumbbell curls you'll definitely get a better pump or vice versa. I usually do both exercises in my routine and I'm pretty sure that if I quit both exercises and I do two new ones, like cable curls or rope curls, I'll get a better pump. Why? Remember, new things, new exercises are the ones that give you the better pump, CHANGE is the key, of course, you'll always have an exercise that responds with a good pump to your body, I always do dumbbell curls either seated or standing cuz dumbbell curls make my biceps explode. Sometimes I change barbell curl to the machine because of my wrist, but dumbbell curls are my favorite one that I always keep in my routine.
    The difference between both exercises is that in dumbbell curls you can isolate a little bit further, in barbell curls since your doing both hands you're more likely to build strength and muscular mass too at the same time. I would say that barbell curls in overall mass and strength is the best one, but dumbbells are good cuz you can isolate and get a better squeeze and a better pump. good luck.
    The pain you feel today will be the strength you'll feel tomorrow

drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10) drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10) drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10) drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10) drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10) drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10) drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10) drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10) drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10) drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10) drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    bb curls can have more weight, db curls can have more ROM
    Eat for what you are about to do, not for what you have already done.

if i don't know how to cut ,why would i be bold enough to bulk?

'Failure' isn't a requirement for growth, but progression is.

http://www.********.com/pages/Romans-fitness/193327960714025

christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    The variety of curling exercises out there borders on the extreme.
    No prob with that, so they exist.
    The torture most people inflict upon themselves trying to chose which curl they should do borders on the ridiculous.
    Find the one that feels best so you look forward to doing those curls and you'll be fine.
    Want to be covered, do curls with palms facing up and palms facing in and you're done.

aestheticaeon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aestheticaeon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aestheticaeon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by drpcnow View Post
    bb curls can have more weight, db curls can have more ROM
    Wait what? Db curls can have just as much weight as bb curls. And they both have the same appropriate ROM. considering you are maintaining good form and you aren't flying your hands around in both the concentric/eccentric portions. You can go down all the way with bb as you do with db and all the way up.

drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10) drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10) drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10) drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10) drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10) drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10) drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10) drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10) drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10) drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10) drpcnow is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by aestheticaeon View Post
    Wait what? Db curls can have just as much weight as bb curls. And they both have the same appropriate ROM. considering you are maintaining good form and you aren't flying your hands around in both the concentric/eccentric portions. You can go down all the way with bb as you do with db and all the way up.
    but with bb how do i twist my wrist for full ROM?

really your rep max isnt higher on your bb curl than your db curl?
    Eat for what you are about to do, not for what you have already done.

if i don't know how to cut ,why would i be bold enough to bulk?

'Failure' isn't a requirement for growth, but progression is.

http://www.********.com/pages/Romans-fitness/193327960714025

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Both curls, different devices.