kristimarino has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Relationship between protein and cravings?

Hello everyone.

I'm wondering if any of you gals have had this problem. I haven't had a food craving in many months, if not years. Up until a week or two ago, I was eating super clean but only getting maybe 1,200 calories and 40 grams of protein. Thanks to all of your wisdom, I've increased my calories to 1,800+ on workout days, and my protein to between 100 and 120 grams (still eating ridiculously clean). I've felt great, though admittedly overly full at times. The problem is that I've suddenly developed intense cravings for fruit immediately following dinner (when I'm full). Since I've met my calorie allotment at this point in the day, and since I'm not hungry, I have fought the cravings off. But I'm seriously scratching my head over why in the world I'm getting them now given my background.

Has anyone else ever had this come up? I'm wondering if there may be some weird connection between high protein consumption and getting food cravings like this. Mind you, I'm only craving fruit, which I eat plenty of during the day, so it's not the end of the world. But if there is something I can do to lessen the cravings, I'd love to try it. So weird.

Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by kristimarino View Post
    Hello everyone.

I'm wondering if any of you gals have had this problem. I haven't had a food craving in many months, if not years. Up until a week or two ago, I was eating super clean but only getting maybe 1,200 calories and 40 grams of protein. Thanks to all of your wisdom, I've increased my calories to 1,800+ on workout days, and my protein to between 100 and 120 grams (still eating ridiculously clean). I've felt great, though admittedly overly full at times. The problem is that I've suddenly developed intense cravings for fruit immediately following dinner (when I'm full). Since I've met my calorie allotment at this point in the day, and since I'm not hungry, I have fought the cravings off. But I'm seriously scratching my head over why in the world I'm getting them now given my background.

Has anyone else ever had this come up? I'm wondering if there may be some weird connection between high protein consumption and getting food cravings like this. Mind you, I'm only craving fruit, which I eat plenty of during the day, so it's not the end of the world. But if there is something I can do to lessen the cravings, I'd love to try it. So weird.
    I doubt it's the protein, but with your extra calorie allowance, you may have awakened your sweet tooth now that your body thinks there's a chance it's going to be fueled.

Certain foods cause mad cravings for me when I've got a tight calorie allowance...just because I know they're in my house. Yogurt, granola/musli, cashews and certain kinds of fruit. Basically, anything that strikes me as very sweet when I'm limiting my calories. I'm fine with apples, bananas and berries. But if I'm leaning up I have to keep things like mangos and pineapples out of my house or I'll obsess over not eating all of it in one sitting. When maintaining, it's not as much of an issue, partially because I am well fed and partially because an extra serving of things we keep in our house doesn't amount to enough to gain weight. Getting back into the habit of going out to eat too often is where I like to get myself into trouble. Anyway, there is a chance you aren't quite meeting your calorie needs every day, especially if you under-eat during your non-workout days. Assuming your tearing it up at the gym now that your body is better fueled to do so, your body needs extra calories to recover on your rest days so don't feed yourself as though you are sedentary those days.

Because of how little you ate before, the fact that your stomach is full isn't the best indicator that your body is getting all the energy and nutrients it needs. It's simply an indicator that you've trained your stomach to only handle small amounts at a time. This can be a good and a bad thing. I had previously trained mine not to be able to handle food until the late afternoon/early evening for years. As it turned out, my inability to eat breakfast and disinterest in lunch didn't mean I didn't need breakfast or lunch.

What are your calories like on non-workout days? How much fat are you consuming?

Celiac/Addisonian goalorientgirl's Avatar
    goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000)
    You're getting enough protein now, but are you getting enough of everything else? For me, fruit cravings are my body's way of telling me it needs more carbs. Hopefully you're not doing a low-low carb diet? Our bodies are sometimes really smart at telling us what we need (or don't need); maybe you're not getting enough carbs or fiber or vitamins, even. Cravings often, but not always, have some relevance.
    Niece: "How can you be immune to cars? Even like, a Ferrari?"

My 'From Scrawny to Oh God Please Not So Scrawny' journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=691717541

kait123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kait123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kait123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kait123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kait123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kait123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kait123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kait123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kait123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kait123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kait123 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    are you getting enough fat in your diet? I know for me, when I eat under 70-80g of good fats throughout the day, I feel like I'm hungry a lot, kind of craving things that I can't figure out what.

Try to fit in some good fats with every meal, or your snacks and see if it helps. Careful with the portions though, most "fatty" things are pretty colorie dense.
    The sexiest parts of my body? My brain, my spine, and my guts.

"Don’t be afraid to go after your dreams and goals. You only fail if you quit on them. Everything else is just a setback. But don’t be like 98% of the world who complains about their lives but are too cowardly to do anything about it. If you want something, GO TAKE IT. Nothing will be handed to most of you." - Layne Norton

Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by goalorientgirl View Post
    You're getting enough protein now, but are you getting enough of everything else? For me, fruit cravings are my body's way of telling me it needs more carbs. Hopefully you're not doing a low-low carb diet? Our bodies are sometimes really smart at telling us what we need (or don't need); maybe you're not getting enough carbs or fiber or vitamins, even. Cravings often, but not always, have some relevance.
    ^Agree. Could be too low carb, or missing out on some micronutrient. Do you take a multi or track online (some show how much vitamins and minerals you're taking in)

rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I get cravings for fruit every night!! Luckily im on a bulk so I dont really have to worry about a few extra cals...

Talking

I want to quote all of you--thanks for your thoughts!

I have carefully structured my meals on both rest (1,600) and workout days. I'm trying to lose 10 pounds of fat, and while I'll be increasing my cals to maintenance once that happens, I believe that I'm eating enough. Of course, I was saying the same thing when I was eating 1,200, lol.

Last night 39% were from fat, 27% carbs, and 34% protein. I ate around 4 servings of fruit, and at least 6 servings of veggies. Plus all that protein. Since it was a rest day, my total cals were around 1,500. I love Today my ratios are going to be 39% fat, 36% carbs, 25% protein (which is around 116g). My little science experiment, I suppose.

I don't take a multi because of how carefully I eat. I'm not a fan of them and I used to push them in my former job, where I received extensive training in "their importance," and I can't fathom that this could be what's driving things. Plus, I've confirmed that I get plenty of all the micronutrients I need using Fitday. Love this tracker--had no idea it existed!!

Anyway, thanks for all of your responses! It makes me feel a little less like my body is giving me the finger right now. Lol.

I meant to say my cals yesterday were around 1600. 1800-1900 for workout days. I'm using NROL's calculator to figure out my caloric needs.