Ojefff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy Whey Protein: Allergic?

What's up everyone.

I have been using whey protein for almost 2 years now it is only recently when I have been feeling these abnormal side effects after consuming a glass of the whey mixture. The first product I used was USANA Whey protein shake powder. I did not have any abnormal symptoms after consuming the product. I switched to AMP Whey Protein and also did not feel any symptoms until I finished half the tub. It gradually got more intense the more I used it. At first it was just a tight feeling in my chest and throat, but it later started to make me have to vomit. I did my research and found that I am most likely allergic to whey protein, but I decided to try another brand considering it never happened before.

I switched to Gold Standard Whey Protein today in hopes of a different outcome but it was just the same. So I now have a whole new tub of Gold Standard Whey protein that I don't just want to throw away.

I'm not sure if I'm allergic to whey since I had no problems with it before, but does anyone know if I will get the same symptoms if I consume if differently (i.e. mixing it in oatmeal)? I guess the only way to find out is to try...

If anyone else had this issue, what are you using as a substitute if you have stopped using it? Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks BB members.

L_Patch is on a distinguished road. (+10) L_Patch is on a distinguished road. (+10) L_Patch is on a distinguished road. (+10) L_Patch is on a distinguished road. (+10) L_Patch is on a distinguished road. (+10) L_Patch is on a distinguished road. (+10) L_Patch is on a distinguished road. (+10) L_Patch is on a distinguished road. (+10) L_Patch is on a distinguished road. (+10) L_Patch is on a distinguished road. (+10) L_Patch is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Ojefff View Post
    What's up everyone.

I have been using whey protein for almost 2 years now it is only recently when I have been feeling these abnormal side effects after consuming a glass of the whey mixture. The first product I used was USANA Whey protein shake powder. I did not have any abnormal symptoms after consuming the product. I switched to AMP Whey Protein and also did not feel any symptoms until I finished half the tub. It gradually got more intense the more I used it. At first it was just a tight feeling in my chest and throat, but it later started to make me have to vomit. I did my research and found that I am most likely allergic to whey protein, but I decided to try another brand considering it never happened before.

I switched to Gold Standard Whey Protein today in hopes of a different outcome but it was just the same. So I now have a whole new tub of Gold Standard Whey protein that I don't just want to throw away.

I'm not sure if I'm allergic to whey since I had no problems with it before, but does anyone know if I will get the same symptoms if I consume if differently (i.e. mixing it in oatmeal)? I guess the only way to find out is to try...

If anyone else had this issue, what are you using as a substitute if you have stopped using it? Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks BB members.

How many scoops or grams of protein do you consume per sitting?
    mixing it with water or milk?
    Maybe try low amounts first and see.

Originally Posted by L_Patch View Post
    How many scoops or grams of protein do you consume per sitting?
    mixing it with water or milk?
    Maybe try low amounts first and see.
    I usually use 1 full scoop, but today I used slightly less than 1 scoop of the Gold Standard Whey. I will try using less next time. The feeling is just uncomfortably horrible ;\

L_Patch is on a distinguished road. (+10) L_Patch is on a distinguished road. (+10) L_Patch is on a distinguished road. (+10) L_Patch is on a distinguished road. (+10) L_Patch is on a distinguished road. (+10) L_Patch is on a distinguished road. (+10) L_Patch is on a distinguished road. (+10) L_Patch is on a distinguished road. (+10) L_Patch is on a distinguished road. (+10) L_Patch is on a distinguished road. (+10) L_Patch is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I usually use 1 full scoop, but today I used slightly less than 1 scoop of the Gold Standard Whey. I will try using less next time. The feeling is just uncomfortably horrible ;\
    You could be allergic to it, Lactose from the whey. Drink with water and start with a small scoop.

and what about casein protein? same reaction?

Mayze will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayze will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayze will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayze will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayze will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayze will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayze will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayze will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayze will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayze will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayze will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have the same exact problem you have. For 2-3 years I used ON whey with absolutely no problems. Then it seemed like it happened overnight I started getting sick after drinking it. The only whey protein that I can use now is Isopure Natural whey. It's an isolate protein which has no lactose and no artificial sweetners.

Originally Posted by L_Patch View Post
    You could be allergic to it, Lactose from the whey. Drink with water and start with a small scoop.

and what about casein protein? same reaction?
    Yeah, I guess I might be a new allergic reaction since it never happened a year ago. Would it be a bad idea to continue taking it even if I was allergic? The feeling can be very uncomfortable sometimes but bearable. It goes away in an hour or 2.

I haven't tried casein protein yet. Does casein protein give similar results as whey? I'll try a sample of it when I can.

Originally Posted by Mayze View Post
    I have the same exact problem you have. For 2-3 years I used ON whey with absolutely no problems. Then it seemed like it happened overnight I started getting sick after drinking it. The only whey protein that I can use now is Isopure Natural whey. It's an isolate protein which has no lactose and no artificial sweetners.
    I know, it sucks. Are you lactose intolerant? I can consume milk fine, but I'm beginning to think that I may be allergic to whey in itself. I'll go ahead and check out the brand you mentioned.

Mayze will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayze will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayze will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayze will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayze will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayze will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayze will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayze will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayze will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayze will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayze will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I know, it sucks. Are you lactose intolerant? I can consume milk fine, but I'm beginning to think that I may be allergic to whey in itself. I'll go ahead and check out the brand you mentioned.
    You have the exact same symptoms I have. Milk doesn't bother me either. I'm not exactly sure what the problem is because I got just as sick when I tried ON's egg protein. Soy and Isopure are the only one's that I bought that didn't almost kill me.

Powder protein is too expensive to do process of elimination to find out which one's I can use. I have a full tub of ON whey and ON casen that I can't use. I found one that works for me and so far it's been good.

fatlip85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi, I started taking Optimum Gold Standard 100% Whey about two weeks ago, and Pre-Load Creatine Complex last Thursday. For the whey, in my meals and post workout sometimes I take one, sometimes I take two scoops as I'm a hardgainer.

However, since last week, I seemed to develop rashes on my hands, and I'm not sure if it's due to whey protein or creatine. I went to see the doctor yesterday, he actually asked if I had contact with any chemicals recently, I mentioned that I'm currently taking whey protein and creatine, he mentioned that my rashes looked like Eczema, and there is a possibility that I may be allergic to whey.

Since I'm on medication now, I'm gonna stop taking those supplements for a while, but if it's confirmed that I'm allergic to whey, is there any other alternative?

Brawndo89 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brawndo89 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brawndo89 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brawndo89 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brawndo89 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brawndo89 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brawndo89 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brawndo89 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brawndo89 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brawndo89 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brawndo89 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Something fishy going on in dis here thread.
    *19ft master race crew*
    *Munches on leaves and twigs crew*
    *Non-Territorial crew*
    *Travel in herd crew*
    *1.5 tons crew*
    *Shatter lions skull with one swift kick crew*
    *African crew*

fatlip85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What is? Just trying to find out whether the cause of my eczema is due to stress, or whey protein allergy. Or whether I'm the only newbie-beginner to bodybuilding who worries too much about a lot of stuffs that triggers eczema.

vanilla2face has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Try Hemp

I have tried whey and had a reaction of struggling to breath. After researching the problem it looks like I have an allergy of some sort. Best to just come off it all together in my opinion. I will go back to using hemp and just take two shakes a day as the only reason I bought whey was because it has a higher protein percentage. Hemp is actually the most natural and absorbant form of protein I believe, but I have been wrong before. It has been fine for a long time for me.

allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by vanilla2face View Post
    I have tried whey and had a reaction of struggling to breath. After researching the problem it looks like I have an allergy of some sort. Best to just come off it all together in my opinion. I will go back to using hemp and just take two shakes a day as the only reason I bought whey was because it has a higher protein percentage. Hemp is actually the most natural and absorbant form of protein I believe, but I have been wrong before. It has been fine for a long time for me.
    Have you tried a vegatable protein, like san rawfusion or vega?

oops, strong bump

vanilla2face has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by allieninja View Post
    Have you tried a vegatable protein, like san rawfusion or vega?

oops, strong bump
    Yeah, hemp! Lol