nicholasim has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Bodybuilding after Surgery

Hi, a little background information about me. I'm 5"7 and 160lbs. I would say my body fat is around 14%. I had surgery for my left arm, broken humerus spiral fracture in Oct 2010.

I will admit that before I broke my arm, I didn't know much about body building. I was training 4 days a week working out only chest, bi, tri, and shoulders , neglecting the important back and legs. I didn't know anything about dieting either and my body fat was around 18%. I would say that all the free time I had after my surgery used to read up about bodybuilding made my broken arm a blessing in disguise.

Anyway, it has been about 8mths after my surgery and I have started working out in the gym again since April 2011. I can't lift as much as last time. I found that I became so weak. my bench fell from 80kgs to 40kgs. Everything dropped about 50%.

I'm quite lost now, I can't lift heavy as my arm hurts. So do you guys think I should stick to light weights? Or try to push heavy?

I only see myself getting leaner. I don't see myself getting bigger. I'm trying to go for lean gains.

Any advise?

Lacertus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lacertus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lacertus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lacertus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lacertus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lacertus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lacertus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lacertus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lacertus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lacertus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lacertus will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you've had surgery on your arm (something noone here has enough information on to really pass knowledge on) and lifting weight hurts your arm, I'd see your doctor and/or physio personally.

There are a lot of exercises post-injury to regain some strength, but I don't know whether you should or shouldn't be feeling pain. 3 months of lifting and 8 months post-surgery you'd think you shouldn't be experiencing pain .. so something could be wrong, hence giving information if you've got some undiagnosed problem wouldn't exactly help your situation.

So unfortunately, all I'd say is get a definite green light to start lifting before worrying too much about what you should be doing. With muscular injuries I'd advise doing some light training, but with bones and breakages etc, it's too difficult and generally not lifting while you're in pain is a good idea.

vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500) vincerich is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    If it hurts, then don't force yourself through it, haha. There's a difference between being tired and feeling pain. Have you been cleared to lift yet? Do what you can; work your way up. You're not going to gain much immediately, so why compromise your health? Don't even pay attention to the girl next to you who's lifting more than you are (or anyone else for that matter).

nicholasim has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Yeah, I guess I should listen to my body. I didn't ask the doctor if I could start lifting but I feel like I can go with the lighter weights.

EXACTLY!! girls are lifting more than I am. I feel so... Weird haha. So I'm guessing I should be sticking to low weight, high reps for now? Till my arm gets better?

Makaveli3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Makaveli3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Makaveli3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Makaveli3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Makaveli3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Makaveli3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Makaveli3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Makaveli3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Makaveli3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Makaveli3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Makaveli3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    ouch..