gjwlsdlek has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gjwlsdlek has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gjwlsdlek has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

question about mass gain (intermediate(?))

Even though all the answers are on the forum
    I wanna know exactly for my case
    sorry if my questions are already asked on the forum

So I used to work out before and i started again recently and its been a month
    but i am really confused with how to work out for mass gain
    i used to think that if i feel the burning feeling(soreness) the day after, then i did a good work out

Questions 1: i recently saw Scott Hermann on youtube and he does a burn set for the first set and does the regular 2nd and 3rd set for chest work out. (burn set he is doing is max 6 to 8 reps, drop 20 pound right away and 6 to 8 reps and again 20 pound drop and 6 to 8 reps)
    I used to think that the soreness (burning feeling(?)) the day i feel the day after is a good work out. When i do Scott Hermann's, i get that the next day, not when i do 3*6-8. However I heard burn set is not good for mass gain. is that true?

Question 2: is 5*5 program good for mass building? because i think i used to get the soreness the day after when i did that program when i used to work out. But people say its more focused on strength rather than mass. I thought strength equals mass(?) Is that true? Because I used to be able to bench 175 pounds before but my mass wasnt so great. (Now Im benching 115 pound). How many sets and how many reps do you suggest for mass building?

Question 3: my work out schedule is mon upper body tues lower wed upper thurs lower fri upper sat upper and only on sunday i do a rest day. I do it because when i do upper body on mon, i dont feel the soreness on wed at all. However a lot of mass building programs seems to have wednedsday off and saturday off for the rest day. which one is better in my case if i dont feel anything in 48 hours? should i continue to do my work out schedule?

Question 4: When i dont work out for 2 days straight when i miss once in a while, i cut down my whey protein to once a day because i feel like since my mucles not soring its already recovered and dont need proteins anymore. Is that right?

thank you so much
    Last edited by gjwlsdlek; 06-26-2011 at 10:41 PM.

nath87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nath87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nath87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nath87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nath87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nath87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nath87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nath87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nath87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nath87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nath87 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Those questions were so terrible I think u gave me cancer

provesomething has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) provesomething has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) provesomething has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) provesomething has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) provesomething has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) provesomething has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) provesomething has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) provesomething has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) provesomething has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) provesomething has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    protein everyday however you need to get it. 5x5 works for mass just fine. ur schedule is fine if your sleeping really well. question one...just lift however you need to lift to finish your sets. if you don't need reduced weights then don't, if you do then do.

gjwlsdlek has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gjwlsdlek has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gjwlsdlek has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by nath87 View Post
    Those questions were so terrible I think u gave me cancer
    sorry english is not my first language and i was rushing since i started to forget all the questions i had in mind

so basically what im asking is that

1. does a burn set help at all even though some say its more focused on endurance
    2. is 5*5 program best for mass? if not whats the best work out sets and reps for mass?
    3. my upper body days are m,w,f. and lower body days are t,th,s and rest on sun. On the contrary, many of the 12 week mass building programs such as the 12-week-daily-bulking-trainer on bb.com seems to suggest to take a rest on wed, sat, and sunday (3 days). should i take only 1 day of rest as opposed to 3 days?
    4. How many times should i take whey protein a day when i skip working out for 2 days in a row. When i work out, i take whey protein 4 times a day but when i dont for 2 days i take only 1 a day. (bc i feel like muscle fibers are all repaired already so no need to take anymore?)

ectobruh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectobruh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectobruh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectobruh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectobruh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectobruh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectobruh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectobruh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectobruh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectobruh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectobruh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by gjwlsdlek View Post
    sorry english is not my first language and i was rushing since i started to forget all the questions i had in mind

so basically what im asking is that

1. does a burn set help at all even though some say its more focused on endurance
    2. is 5*5 program best for mass? if not whats the best work out sets and reps for mass?
    3. my upper body days are m,w,f. and lower body days are t,th,s and rest on sun. On the contrary, many of the 12 week mass building programs such as the 12-week-daily-bulking-trainer on bb.com seems to suggest to take a rest on wed, sat, and sunday (3 days). should i take only 1 day of rest as opposed to 3 days?
    4. How many times should i take whey protein a day when i skip working out for 2 days in a row. When i work out, i take whey protein 4 times a day but when i dont for 2 days i take only 1 a day. (bc i feel like muscle fibers are all repaired already so no need to take anymore?)
    1. if your trying to gain mass/strength, you should be constantly RAISING the intensity. golden rule: if you can do 10 reps of a certain weight, than it's not intense enough...keep increasing until you can only do 3,4,5, 6, etc. high reps are mostly for toning/endurance.

2. there is no "best", just try to find a program with mass gaining methods, modify it to your liking. Defranco's WS4sb is a good one, along with Rippletoe's (plenty in the stickies).

3. why the fk would you only take 1 day of rest?...even professionals know better than that, if you don't give your body time rest, it won't grow....that's fact, that's science. i at least take 2 days off with a light workout day for cardio since i've been lifting for a little over a year. seriously, overtraining does nothing but tear and phuck up your muscle fibers.

4. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/calculators.htm <------ALL THE CALCULATORS IN THE WORLD TO FIND OUT YOUR NEEDS. USE GOOGLE BRUH. you should be taking whey for post workouts or on recovery days (if needed). your gainers should be throughout the day/ in between meals (they are GAINERS, NOT 24 HOUR MEAL REPLACEMENTS) actually eat real food.
    Last edited by ectobruh; 06-27-2011 at 06:12 AM.
    FLAT: 225x11 INCLINE DB 100x9 incline bench 225x8 deadlift: [RETIRED!! OUTTA HERE] FS: 225X8

Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    gotta say this site is awesome just because of those calculators everything else is a plus to

dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    it doesn't matter what you do in the gym if you aren't getting enough calories to gain mass

food is the best thing for gaining mass
    Goals:

1.5 bw Bench
    2.0+ bw Squat
    2.5 bw Deadlift
    Gain 20 lbs

Squat or remove thy self caerus13's Avatar
    caerus13 is just really nice. (+1000) caerus13 is just really nice. (+1000) caerus13 is just really nice. (+1000) caerus13 is just really nice. (+1000) caerus13 is just really nice. (+1000) caerus13 is just really nice. (+1000) caerus13 is just really nice. (+1000) caerus13 is just really nice. (+1000) caerus13 is just really nice. (+1000) caerus13 is just really nice. (+1000) caerus13 is just really nice. (+1000)
    You are not an intermediate, you are a novice. I would suggest reading up on AllPro's and Starting Strength. Info here:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=115643271