Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    KelseaMarie is a name known to all. (+5000) KelseaMarie is a name known to all. (+5000) KelseaMarie is a name known to all. (+5000) KelseaMarie is a name known to all. (+5000) KelseaMarie is a name known to all. (+5000) KelseaMarie is a name known to all. (+5000) KelseaMarie is a name known to all. (+5000) KelseaMarie is a name known to all. (+5000) KelseaMarie is a name known to all. (+5000) KelseaMarie is a name known to all. (+5000) KelseaMarie is a name known to all. (+5000)

Taking the ISSA exam...

should be taking it next week, anyone that's taken it have any tips?

cobfab12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cobfab12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cobfab12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cobfab12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cobfab12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cobfab12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cobfab12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cobfab12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cobfab12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cobfab12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cobfab12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Just blew it up with a 94%. Essay questions have multiple topics, and one should stick out for each set of questions. I did one with muscles, their muscle actions/origins/insertions/exercises, had to name 15+. There was an essay about naming exercises in each plane of movement, very easy. Pretty much a ton to choose from.
    Case studies be detailed, and creative. Run through the FITTE principles. Focus on caloric/macro requirements in nutrition section. Know the formulas for Karvonen/BMI/BMR. Explain why you choose this/that. True false/mult choice are pretty much same as practice quizzes. Exercise section/matching/mathematics is very easy as well.

Set aside a lot more time to do it than you think. I did it over two days, and really went back and edited my essays and made sure to be creative.
    If ISSA were a sit down test, it would be the most comprehensive one out of the ones Ive taken for sure (ace/nasm/issa). Makes you sit and think like you would if you were really programming for a client.
    Last edited by cobfab12; 06-24-2011 at 10:16 PM.

KelseaMarie is a name known to all. (+5000) KelseaMarie is a name known to all. (+5000) KelseaMarie is a name known to all. (+5000) KelseaMarie is a name known to all. (+5000) KelseaMarie is a name known to all. (+5000) KelseaMarie is a name known to all. (+5000) KelseaMarie is a name known to all. (+5000) KelseaMarie is a name known to all. (+5000) KelseaMarie is a name known to all. (+5000) KelseaMarie is a name known to all. (+5000) KelseaMarie is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by cobfab12 View Post
    Just blew it up with a 94%. Essay questions have multiple topics, and one should stick out for each set of questions. I did one with muscles, their muscle actions/origins/insertions/exercises, had to name 15+. There was an essay about naming exercises in each plane of movement, very easy. Pretty much a ton to choose from.
    Case studies be detailed, and creative. Run through the FITTE principles. Focus on caloric/macro requirements in nutrition section. Know the formulas for Karvonen/BMI/BMR. Explain why you choose this/that. True false/mult choice are pretty much same as practice quizzes. Exercise section/matching/mathematics is very easy as well.

Set aside a lot more time to do it than you think. I did it over two days, and really went back and edited my essays and made sure to be creative.
    If ISSA were a sit down test, it would be the most comprehensive one out of the ones Ive taken for sure (ace/nasm/issa). Makes you sit and think like you would if you were really programming for a client.
    thank you so much for your help! did you do it online? how did you go about studying? i read the whole book and did all the quizzes, now i am going back and doing the workbook. i was planning on doing the practice exam and then taking the actual exam.

dshorter83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dshorter83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dshorter83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dshorter83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I read the book for two weeks and took the test. Scored a 93%. Just pay attention to the program design and body mechanics stuff and you should be good. I have three ISSA ***** but I would suggest getting another one because I almost didnt get hired at 24hr cuz they normally only take ISSA for pay raise. Club manager had to get an exception done for me.

Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Just think like a trainer. The most important thing is to focus on what you would do in real life and explain that in detail. I would also recommend hitting your CEUs right away to make it easier to complete.
    If you not feeling the burn your not pushing hard enough.
    "Don't talk about it, be about it" MK
    Change, Challenge, Compete

cobfab12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cobfab12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cobfab12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cobfab12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cobfab12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cobfab12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cobfab12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cobfab12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cobfab12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cobfab12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cobfab12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by KelseaMarie View Post
    thank you so much for your help! did you do it online? how did you go about studying? i read the whole book and did all the quizzes, now i am going back and doing the workbook. i was planning on doing the practice exam and then taking the actual exam.
    Did the test online. Already had read and memorized cover to cover NASM books and ACE books and everything else out there, so this was pretty easy tbh. there were a few different %ages and stuff though that differ from other manuals. When I was first starting out, i read the book once casually, then again once very studiously, then made an outline with important points, then made flashcards, then did practicals (my wife would make up scenarios, id program them with book help then memory) etc.. had to go back and constantly re-read functional anatomy OVER AND OVER until my brain absorbed it all, its fantastically important and feels like an achievement really having a grasp on it all.

practice exams/chapter quizzes for ISSA are a pretty good indicator of whats on the test (mult/true-false/matching).

tbh study for at least 4 weeks, learn the material, and perform the test as if it were a proctored exam. it is open book, like the real world will be, but you should have a firm grasp on all material before diving in. be confident in your knowledge, ace that bad boy.
    Last edited by cobfab12; 06-25-2011 at 09:46 AM.

I really appreciate all the tips, keep 'em coming!

carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Drink at least ten cups of coffe before going in will help keep your mind off the test,
    I have never taken the test, took the ACSM fitness instructor and NSCA cscs test. One big thing that caused people to fail was nerves, get relaxed before you go in.
    I helped proctor the ACSM test and it was suprising how many of the people failed on nerves alone people I had gone to school with and could have aced the test any other time but they where not relaxed and froze during the practicals and over thought the written part.
    Please report back as to how you did and good luck.

sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    ISSA is the best of all the certifications I ever attained and I have like 12 of them. It was also the toughest. But, if you know your stuff and focus you will pass with flying colors. Nothing worth having comes easy, but you can do this!
    *CEO B Built International
    *Head of Social Media/Online Marketing/PR @ All American Pharmaceutical
    *Columnist for Iron Man, Natural Muscle and Muscleandfitness.com
    *Creator of the P/RR/S, FDF/FS and O-BEY-6 Training Systems
    *Trainer/Prep Coach to Athletes Globally

"Limits can be discussed, but in no way need be obeyed."

Originally Posted by sixthsense View Post
    ISSA is the best of all the certifications I ever attained and I have like 12 of them. It was also the toughest. But, if you know your stuff and focus you will pass with flying colors. Nothing worth having comes easy, but you can do this!
    I agree. The test is the hardest by far, materials are very comprehensive.

Registered User Melissacarey123's Avatar
    Melissacarey123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Melissacarey123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Melissacarey123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Melissacarey123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Melissacarey123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Melissacarey123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Melissacarey123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Melissacarey123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Melissacarey123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Melissacarey123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Melissacarey123 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    im actually doing mine now, have it all completed just having someone review it before sending it in...very nerve racking but thank god you find out within 72 hours of sending it in, i could not wait much longer to find out!!
    any way good luck with your test hope you do well!!!
    .:Melissa:.
    -- your attempt may fail, but don't fail to make an attempt --

- ISSA CFT

bdtreaster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bdtreaster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bdtreaster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bdtreaster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bdtreaster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bdtreaster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bdtreaster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bdtreaster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bdtreaster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bdtreaster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bdtreaster has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    here's a tip. stay off the meth and you will do fine! lulz
    US ARMY
    82nd Airborne Div
    OIF 05-06

Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by carl.c View Post
    Drink at least ten cups of coffe before going in will help keep your mind off the test,
    I have never taken the test, took the ACSM fitness instructor and NSCA cscs test. One big thing that caused people to fail was nerves, get relaxed before you go in.
    I helped proctor the ACSM test and it was suprising how many of the people failed on nerves alone people I had gone to school with and could have aced the test any other time but they where not relaxed and froze during the practicals and over thought the written part.
    Please report back as to how you did and good luck.
    you take the ISSA test at home it's not a proctored test

carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Any one know the pass rate of ISSA test ?

Yea it's online open book untimed, I'm not nervous I just want to make sure I know everything.

Originally Posted by Melissacarey123 View Post
    im actually doing mine now, have it all completed just having someone review it before sending it in...very nerve racking but thank god you find out within 72 hours of sending it in, i could not wait much longer to find out!!
    any way good luck with your test hope you do well!!!
    what were the hardest parts for you?

Melissacarey123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Melissacarey123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Melissacarey123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Melissacarey123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Melissacarey123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Melissacarey123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Melissacarey123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Melissacarey123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Melissacarey123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Melissacarey123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Melissacarey123 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Just sent it in yesterday and got my mark this morning, got an 87 so i was pumped as i was REALLY nervous!!! but as long as you did the quizzes and did good on them, you'll do great!

- ISSA CFT

EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    explain this ISSA test for me please...how can u have a untimed/open book exam, who would not pass?

I'm going to be taking the NASM exam in a few weeks....do certifications from other companies count towards CEU's?

Just sent it in yesterday and got my mark this morning, got an 87 so i was pumped as i was REALLY nervous!!! but as long as you did the quizzes and did good on them, you'll do great!

congrats girl!

Originally Posted by EdgarAllanPoe View Post
    explain this ISSA test for me please...how can u have a untimed/open book exam, who would not pass?

I'm going to be taking the NASM exam in a few weeks....do certifications from other companies count towards CEU's?
    if you had no base knowledge of anatomy/biomechanics/program design etc, it would probably take you just as long hunting and pecking for the answers as it would to just study/learn/memorize the material. granted the t/f, mult choice can easily be cheated on if you desired to do so, the rest of the questions require research, knowledge based creative planning and reasoning, and imo experience in actual training environments to score well.

if you look around the forums, most (of those that pass) score in the 85-90% range, and these are people who are obviously educated and that have studied the material. they grade fairly critically, and the test itself is FAR more comprehensive than NASM (100% mult choice). with a pure mult choice test, answers can be inferred/educated guessed at. throw an essay/research/case study question in there and it becomes a whole new ballgame, and much harder to BS through.

in my opinion, all PT tests should be structured like ISSAs - but proctored, closed book. separate the men/women from the boys/girls

as far as the CEUs go, I just petitioned my PES cert from NASM to ISSA, and they gave me 1/2 credit (1.9 NASM should convert to 18 or so ISSA CEUs, they gave me 10). case by case thing it seems. petition and cross fingers...
    Last edited by cobfab12; 06-29-2011 at 10:44 AM.

sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Thumbs up

congratulations!
    *CEO B Built International
    *Head of Social Media/Online Marketing/PR @ All American Pharmaceutical
    *Columnist for Iron Man, Natural Muscle and Muscleandfitness.com
    *Creator of the P/RR/S, FDF/FS and O-BEY-6 Training Systems
    *Trainer/Prep Coach to Athletes Globally

"Limits can be discussed, but in no way need be obeyed."

congrats girl!
    THANKS now just to find a job lol

when are you sending you's in ?

- ISSA CFT

THANKS now just to find a job lol

when are you sending you's in ?
    was on vacation last week, starting my test today!

was on vacation last week, starting my test today!
    Good Luck!!!

- ISSA CFT

Mr-Joe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr-Joe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr-Joe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr-Joe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr-Joe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr-Joe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr-Joe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr-Joe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr-Joe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr-Joe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr-Joe will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm in the process of doing mine too! got my 6 essay questions left that all. Then i have to go back and double check everything.
    --------Misc Aesthetics Krew--------
    ** KNEE DRAGGERS UNITE **
    Washington State Misc Crew
    ISSA CFT

i passed with a 93, got a job in 3 days... started last week! loving it!

ATP-CYCLE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ATP-CYCLE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ATP-CYCLE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ATP-CYCLE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ATP-CYCLE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ATP-CYCLE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ATP-CYCLE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ATP-CYCLE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ATP-CYCLE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ATP-CYCLE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ATP-CYCLE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    congrats in your new carrer

hktoez is on a distinguished road. (+10) hktoez is on a distinguished road. (+10) hktoez is on a distinguished road. (+10) hktoez is on a distinguished road. (+10) hktoez is on a distinguished road. (+10) hktoez is on a distinguished road. (+10) hktoez is on a distinguished road. (+10) hktoez is on a distinguished road. (+10) hktoez is on a distinguished road. (+10) hktoez is on a distinguished road. (+10) hktoez is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    congrats!

I'm actually preparing to get certified through the ISSA too! Were there any parts of the exam that had you stumped? Also, which gym will you be working for if you don't mind me asking (no stalker)
    "If there's anything I want to do so badly, I should have already done it. " -Randy Pausch

mikeyfitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mikeyfitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mikeyfitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mikeyfitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mikeyfitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mikeyfitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mikeyfitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mikeyfitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mikeyfitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mikeyfitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mikeyfitness is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Isn't it a open book test lol

edit: heard lots of gyms aren't taking it anymore...would look into a different cert unless you got a def. job lined up I'm doing NASM its expensive but every gym loves to see it

drewlito88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Issa essay's

i passed with a 93, got a job in 3 days... started last week! loving it!
    How detailed were your essay's and case studys? Pretty extensive? Or just answered the questions to knock them out. I'm getting ready to take mine. I don't write very well and I'm nervous about how hard they grade them.