robwolseley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) robwolseley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) robwolseley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) robwolseley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) robwolseley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) robwolseley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) robwolseley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) robwolseley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) robwolseley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) robwolseley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) robwolseley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Jim Stoppani's "12 week shortcut to size" workout

i am quite keen to start this programme and was wondering what you guys think of it for bulking on? especially if anyone has been on this before?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/begi...-12-weeks.html

robwolseley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) robwolseley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) robwolseley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) robwolseley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) robwolseley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) robwolseley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) robwolseley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) robwolseley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) robwolseley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) robwolseley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) robwolseley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    anyone?

TruMass92 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TruMass92 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TruMass92 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TruMass92 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TruMass92 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TruMass92 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TruMass92 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TruMass92 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TruMass92 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TruMass92 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TruMass92 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    that one day thing looks kinda iffy to me

Originally Posted by TruMass92 View Post
    that one day thing looks kinda iffy to me

phase 1?

MarioDRio has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I actually started it this week and today will be the end of week 1 phase 1.
    My goal for this isn't just to gain size but to gain more experience with free weights. It might be just me, but doing these barbell exercises make me feel a tremendous pump. I looked into the other phases and it starts to get more serious. I haven't measured myself yet since I started the program. I plan on doing it at the end of phase 1, but I think it's worth the shot, you might learn something new!

AlwaysRaw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AlwaysRaw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AlwaysRaw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AlwaysRaw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AlwaysRaw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AlwaysRaw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AlwaysRaw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AlwaysRaw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AlwaysRaw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AlwaysRaw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AlwaysRaw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    basically it just progresses from
    fullbody workout-> Upper/lower->Push, pull, legs-> chest tri, back bi, legs, shoulders.

I don't see anything new here.

phphbuilder is not very helpful. (-500) phphbuilder is not very helpful. (-500) phphbuilder is not very helpful. (-500) phphbuilder is not very helpful. (-500) phphbuilder is not very helpful. (-500) phphbuilder is not very helpful. (-500) phphbuilder is not very helpful. (-500) phphbuilder is not very helpful. (-500) phphbuilder is not very helpful. (-500) phphbuilder is not very helpful. (-500) phphbuilder is not very helpful. (-500)
    hole

MarioDRio has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    While the progression may not be new, the purpose of the program is to basically get the individual used to the different exercises/splits so they can further take their training up another notch, which in turn, they can learn something they may not have known before, whether it is the exercises, rest times, routines, etc. The program looks like it's targeting beginners who are thinking about weight lifting, but not sure how to go about it. That's just how I see it, though.
    "Rome was not built in one day." - John Heywood

CobaltB12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CobaltB12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CobaltB12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CobaltB12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CobaltB12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CobaltB12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CobaltB12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CobaltB12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CobaltB12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CobaltB12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CobaltB12 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I always heard that you gain size by doing the same routine over a long period of time..
    BANG BANG ALPHA GANG 4 LYFE!!!!!!

Bombo_SVK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi robwolseley, sorry for late response but anyway: In my opinion it is the best workout programme for beginners. I accomplished it and the results are AMAZING! IN 3 months I gained a lot of mass and strength. I reccomend you to stick with that plan you will be very surprised, in good way The only negative is that this plan is only for 3months. Now it is 4 months since I started and I dont know what plan I should choose next

bkeritk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi, I'm currently in week 3 of Phase 1 and I had questions about reps and when to increase the weight on an exercise. Here is the excerpt from the Jim Stoppani article:

"The amount of weight you use is determined by the rep range. Since you'll be doing 10-12 reps per set, choose a weight that prevents you from doing any more than 12 reps, but allows you to complete at least 10 reps. You should grow stronger over these three weeks, so once you can exceed 12 reps with the weight you're using, increase the weight by 5 or 10 pounds."

My first question: When you choose a weight that prevents you from doing any more than 12 reps, what set(s) does that refer to? Once I can lift 12 reps on the 3rd set, I usually have the ability to pump out more than 12 reps on the 1st set. This is confusing because in order to lift 12 reps on the last set, I will be violating the rep count on earlier sets (unless I limit my reps to just 12 on sets 1 and 2, which doesn't make sense).

Second question: when should I increase the weight? When I'm lifting 115x13 on all 3 sets or when I'm lifting 115x13 on any set?

xdanisx is not very helpful. (-500) xdanisx is not very helpful. (-500) xdanisx is not very helpful. (-500) xdanisx is not very helpful. (-500) xdanisx is not very helpful. (-500) xdanisx is not very helpful. (-500) xdanisx is not very helpful. (-500) xdanisx is not very helpful. (-500) xdanisx is not very helpful. (-500) xdanisx is not very helpful. (-500) xdanisx is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by bkeritk View Post
    Hi, I'm currently in week 3 of Phase 1 and I had questions about reps and when to increase the weight on an exercise. Here is the excerpt from the Jim Stoppani article:

"The amount of weight you use is determined by the rep range. Since you'll be doing 10-12 reps per set, choose a weight that prevents you from doing any more than 12 reps, but allows you to complete at least 10 reps. You should grow stronger over these three weeks, so once you can exceed 12 reps with the weight you're using, increase the weight by 5 or 10 pounds."

My first question: When you choose a weight that prevents you from doing any more than 12 reps, what set(s) does that refer to? Once I can lift 12 reps on the 3rd set, I usually have the ability to pump out more than 12 reps on the 1st set. This is confusing because in order to lift 12 reps on the last set, I will be violating the rep count on earlier sets (unless I limit my reps to just 12 on sets 1 and 2, which doesn't make sense).

Second question: when should I increase the weight? When I'm lifting 115x13 on all 3 sets or when I'm lifting 115x13 on any set?
    1. You want to do as much weight as you can whilst still being able to do the required reps.

For example:

[If you are required to do 8-10reps]

If you bench 150 pounds but can only do it for 7 reps, then take weight off till you can bench the minimum of 8 reps. If you are benching 150 pounds but can go till 11 or more reps, then add weight.

2. 115x13 on all sets.

BCRUGBY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

I'm on the last week of the whole program! I personally found it to be a great program if your looking to build some size. Make sure to keep track of the weights your doing though!
    RECOMMENDED!!!!

sSmitty93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sSmitty93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sSmitty93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sSmitty93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sSmitty93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sSmitty93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sSmitty93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sSmitty93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sSmitty93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sSmitty93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sSmitty93 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by BCRUGBY View Post
    I'm on the last week of the whole program! I personally found it to be a great program if your looking to build some size. Make sure to keep track of the weights your doing though!
    RECOMMENDED!!!!
    strong bump
    Bench: 235
    Squat: 365
    Deadlift: 425

Log V2.0: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150736853

samaw129 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by sSmitty93 View Post
    strong bump
    agreed

fresh2rip has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Bombo_SVK View Post
    Hi robwolseley, sorry for late response but anyway: In my opinion it is the best workout programme for beginners. I accomplished it and the results are AMAZING! IN 3 months I gained a lot of mass and strength. I reccomend you to stick with that plan you will be very surprised, in good way The only negative is that this plan is only for 3months. Now it is 4 months since I started and I dont know what plan I should choose next

so after 3 months can you continue this routine or do I have to do something else to maintain

Location: Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    ArmstrongL89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I started his "12 Weeks from Beginner to Advanced" program because I wanted to start fresh with something new and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Great gains in both strength and size snd it was a good solid platform to move onto different more advanced routines. Id be inclined to move onto this program after ive finished if its as good as I hope.

fieldtech007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fieldtech007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fieldtech007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fieldtech007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fieldtech007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fieldtech007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fieldtech007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fieldtech007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fieldtech007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fieldtech007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fieldtech007 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Cool

Hey,

On Week 3 of Jims shortcut to size program. Jim is cool. But that whole lab setup he got...cmon - not even my workbench looks that good.

I was doing 5x5 for over a year (stronglifts 5x5). I never changed it up. Just got bigger and stronger.
    I chose this program (shortcut to size) and working muscles i have never felt before, feels like starting over, but at least Cores (Squat, Dead,Bench,Row,Press) has made me strong.
    Changing reps was the best thing i could have done. Wish i knew about hypertrophy etc earlier.
    After this program, ill hit 5x5 madcow or something for a few months and then come back.

I am weak in untrained areas, using jims program to even up my training and muscle fibers.

mcerlane is on a distinguished road. (+10) mcerlane is on a distinguished road. (+10) mcerlane is on a distinguished road. (+10) mcerlane is on a distinguished road. (+10) mcerlane is on a distinguished road. (+10) mcerlane is on a distinguished road. (+10) mcerlane is on a distinguished road. (+10) mcerlane is on a distinguished road. (+10) mcerlane is on a distinguished road. (+10) mcerlane is on a distinguished road. (+10) mcerlane is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ArmstrongL89 View Post
    I started his "12 Weeks from Beginner to Advanced" program because I wanted to start fresh with something new and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Great gains in both strength and size snd it was a good solid platform to move onto different more advanced routines. Id be inclined to move onto this program after ive finished if its as good as I hope.
    Jims programs are legit. The Shortcut to Shred has quickly become a new fav.

tfabes23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Im about to start this program in a couple days. He suggests taking a pre-workout for the 3 months of his program. I take C4 Extreme but the cycle is to be on it for 2 months and take month off. Should I take the pre-workout all 3 months for the entire program?

Jderavian will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jderavian will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jderavian will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jderavian will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jderavian will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jderavian will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jderavian will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jderavian will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jderavian will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jderavian will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jderavian will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by tfabes23 View Post
    Im about to start this program in a couple days. He suggests taking a pre-workout for the 3 months of his program. I take C4 Extreme but the cycle is to be on it for 2 months and take month off. Should I take the pre-workout all 3 months for the entire program?
    Maybe follow what the doctor says (Jim is a dr) anyway I did this program and gained 10lbs while working outside at a summercamp and losing my gains so it did pretty well for me

Tanerian has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tanerian has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tanerian has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tanerian has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tanerian has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tanerian has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tanerian has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tanerian has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tanerian has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tanerian has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tanerian has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Really late reply, but perhaps I can get this question answered, since I was also confused by it. The person below who quoted and answered it, didn't really seem to answer it in a way that made sense to me.

As an easy example. Say I bench 100 pounds at 3x12. If I can't hit 12 on my 3rd set, then I can definitely do more than 12 on my first set. So do I limit myself to 12 on the first 2 sets even if I can do more? Say I can do 12, 12, and 8. Do I increase the weight when I can actually go 12,12,12+? Or should I not be limiting myself on the first 2 sets by increasing the weight? It's a bit confusing.

The quote asked the question better than me, but I thought I'd add an example.

moran515 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Tanerian View Post
    Really late reply, but perhaps I can get this question answered, since I was also confused by it. The person below who quoted and answered it, didn't really seem to answer it in a way that made sense to me.

As an easy example. Say I bench 100 pounds at 3x12. If I can't hit 12 on my 3rd set, then I can definitely do more than 12 on my first set. So do I limit myself to 12 on the first 2 sets even if I can do more? Say I can do 12, 12, and 8. Do I increase the weight when I can actually go 12,12,12+? Or should I not be limiting myself on the first 2 sets by increasing the weight? It's a bit confusing.

The quote asked the question better than me, but I thought I'd add an example.
    Hi,

I can tell you this my friend - I myself in the end of phase 2 of the first week, and as i noticed the best is to start from your RM12 (for the argument) and continue until you reach RM8.
    That's if you'r doing an 8-12 reps for say.

cheers

copeyboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) copeyboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) copeyboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) copeyboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) copeyboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) copeyboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) copeyboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) copeyboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) copeyboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) copeyboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) copeyboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I know this is a really late reply, but felt compelled to try to help out here. I would recommend using your first set as the gauge for what weight to do. If you reach 12 reps fairly easily, then increase the weight for sets 2 & 3. As you progress through the plan, you will need to refer back to the last time you did a particular exercise to see where you should start with the next phase. For instance, if you were able to bench 155 x 12 reps in your fourth set in Phase 1, then you should be starting Phase 2 a little heavier than that. Again, use your first set to judge how to adjust your weight. There is no need to limit yourself for three sets to just the upper end of the rep count. You should be shooting to complete the lower end of the rep count on each set, with difficulty. This is how you build muscle and strength. I hope this helps. Good luck!
    Proud husband to Cheryl.
    Proud father to Cerena.
    Proud veteran of the United States Marine Corps.

"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." Galatians 2:20

grungyMTL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) grungyMTL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) grungyMTL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) grungyMTL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) grungyMTL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) grungyMTL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) grungyMTL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) grungyMTL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) grungyMTL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) grungyMTL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) grungyMTL is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Just a small addition since everyone disregarded it:

In each phase, the two first weeks are Rest-Pause sets and the two others are drop sets.

Hope it will help.

Thank you.

Darthdingo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Darthdingo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Darthdingo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Darthdingo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Darthdingo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Darthdingo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Darthdingo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Darthdingo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Darthdingo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Darthdingo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Darthdingo is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by grungyMTL View Post
    Just a small addition since everyone disregarded it:

In each phase, the two first weeks are Rest-Pause sets and the two others are drop sets.

Hope it will help.

Thank you.
    I think that's one of the better parts of this program, the Rest Pause and Drop Sets on the last set of each workout. It really pumps you up.

Plus each week has you doing heavier sets than the week before.

In theory you should get bigger running this routine for 12 weeks and eating a lot.

jay23691 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hello,
    I have just started this and if I follow it to the letter it suggests me eating around 3200 calories on OFF days. This seems excessive. My maintanence is 2k at best . Would anybody who has done this programme reccomend eating this much as it says i should or should I just apply common sense and eat 2500-3kmax

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by jay23691 View Post
    Hello,
    I have just started this and if I follow it to the letter it suggests me eating around 3200 calories on OFF days. This seems excessive. My maintanence is 2k at best . Would anybody who has done this programme reccomend eating this much as it says i should or should I just apply common sense and eat 2500-3kmax
    No one on this forum recommends stoppani's programs or nutrition advice.
    Eat enough to gain around 2lbs a month, preferably on a well made program

Source = gbullock32

NUTRITION

This is the largest factor in your success, learn the basics to get started and then move into more advanced if needed.

BASICS
    Spoiler!

Sources and More Information

TRAINING

Start with a solid beginner routine, these are designed to get the most for you; they are designed by professionals and use progressive overload. Read through them and pick the one you like most, follow it as it is written.

Why You Should Not Make Your Own Routine
    How To Perform Basic Lifts

Routines
    Fierce 5
    Viking's Bare Bones
    Starting Strength
    BabyLover's Starting Strength
    AllPro's Beginner Routine
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

brad455 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    How does this program compare to mike o hearns powerbodybuilding where you do 7X4,7x3,7x2 during the 12 weeks on the program ? currently on week two of it and feel burned out so im thinking on switching to shortcut to size