Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    satoshikaitsu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It doesn't matter how big you get your abs, even if you can see blocks of muscle on your stomach, it doesn't mean it's gonna look good. First off, you're not going to have a 6 pack at 16% body fat. Sorry, you're measuring your body fat percentage if you think you have a six pack at 16% BF. By the looks of your picture Jlsnyder, you're below 10%. Next point, the most you're going to get at 16% is a 4 pack because your body doesn't store nearly as much fat in the stomach area as it does the lower abdomen area. Those bottom packs that the women find oh so attractive will only come when you burn off that love handle... which is done in the kitchen.

Yes, you need a MODERATE amount of ab workout in the gym. I would say a solid 10-15 minutes twice a week AFTER a major muscle workout. I laugh at the people working out their abs for an hour a day because that's not going to get them anywhere if the abs are covered by fat. And yes, strength and size do occur in the gym. But just because you have more muscle weight on you doesn't mean you're going to LOOK more muscular than someone who follows a diet. Even the pro bodybuilders say that diet should come first. Look at Jay Cutler, he said, "you shouldn't even get into the gym if your diet isn't right"

This is basic knowledge. You wanna waste hours on your abs to no avail, by all means, be my guest. You wanna look good with your shirt off? Start cutting out the crap in your diet and follow strict eating principles. That's also where those veins come btw, when your BF is low enough to see them.

AlMuminoon is not very well liked. (-100) AlMuminoon is not very well liked. (-100) AlMuminoon is not very well liked. (-100) AlMuminoon is not very well liked. (-100) AlMuminoon is not very well liked. (-100) AlMuminoon is not very well liked. (-100) AlMuminoon is not very well liked. (-100) AlMuminoon is not very well liked. (-100) AlMuminoon is not very well liked. (-100) AlMuminoon is not very well liked. (-100) AlMuminoon is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by satoshikaitsu View Post
    It doesn't matter how big you get your abs, even if you can see blocks of muscle on your stomach, it doesn't mean it's gonna look good. First off, you're not going to have a 6 pack at 16% body fat. Sorry, you're measuring your body fat percentage if you think you have a six pack at 16% BF. By the looks of your picture Jlsnyder, you're below 10%. Next point, the most you're going to get at 16% is a 4 pack because your body doesn't store nearly as much fat in the stomach area as it does the lower abdomen area. Those bottom packs that the women find oh so attractive will only come when you burn off that love handle... which is done in the kitchen.

Yes, you need a MODERATE amount of ab workout in the gym. I would say a solid 10-15 minutes twice a week AFTER a major muscle workout. I laugh at the people working out their abs for an hour a day because that's not going to get them anywhere if the abs are covered by fat. And yes, strength and size do occur in the gym. But just because you have more muscle weight on you doesn't mean you're going to LOOK more muscular than someone who follows a diet. Even the pro bodybuilders say that diet should come first. Look at Jay Cutler, he said, "you shouldn't even get into the gym if your diet isn't right"

This is basic knowledge. You wanna waste hours on your abs to no avail, by all means, be my guest. You wanna look good with your shirt off? Start cutting out the crap in your diet and follow strict eating principles. That's also where those veins come btw, when your BF is low enough to see them.
    Thanks for the post, basically you are saying that ab work is not as critical as people think and that abs are made in the kitchen.

I completely agree, which is why I am eating 50g of carbs a day and the rest protein and fat (totalling around 2500kcal per day).

It isn't as hard as I thought, but then again it has only been 3 days lol!

msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000)
    An work is important.

Core strength is important.

TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by AlMuminoon View Post
    Here is a current picture guys!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    You look like low 20's body fat. Using a general rule of thumb of 2% per month, it would take you like 4-6 months of strict dieting and working out to achieve 6-pack.

JMHO
    Aug of 2010 - 330 lbs <--- Never Forget

AlMuminoon is not very well liked. (-100) AlMuminoon is not very well liked. (-100) AlMuminoon is not very well liked. (-100) AlMuminoon is not very well liked. (-100) AlMuminoon is not very well liked. (-100) AlMuminoon is not very well liked. (-100) AlMuminoon is not very well liked. (-100) AlMuminoon is not very well liked. (-100) AlMuminoon is not very well liked. (-100) AlMuminoon is not very well liked. (-100) AlMuminoon is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by msm00b View Post
    An work is important.

Core strength is important.
    Of course, but the jist of the thing we are saying is that ab work is not as critical as people think to losing fat and getting visible abs (aka spending a whole hour on abs in the hopes of seeing them). Diet is the key factor.

Core strength is hella important though.

Btw guys I posted the pic of my current state (bottom of page one).

Originally Posted by TelusLob View Post
    You look like low 20's body fat. Using a general rule of thumb of 2% per month, it would take you like 4-6 months of strict dieting and working out to achieve 6-pack.

JMHO
    your humble opinion is worth all my attention man, I think I need all the assistance I can get, though I strongly feel like I know what I am doing.

I am on a basic 5 day split of

Chest
    Back
    Shoulders
    Arms
    Legs
    Weekend completely off (one hour walking every weekend morning).

I am doing no proper cardio what so ever, as I am training so hard on the compound lifts. However I do, do a few rounds of jump rope before some workouts and 10minutes of stationary cycle before every workout.

I think I will start cardio (proper running/sprints/jogging) once I am down to about 12% to further accelerate the fat loss.

Currently on 50g of carbs per day and high protein high fat

.Geeza is on a distinguished road. (+10) .Geeza is on a distinguished road. (+10) .Geeza is on a distinguished road. (+10) .Geeza is on a distinguished road. (+10) .Geeza is on a distinguished road. (+10) .Geeza is on a distinguished road. (+10) .Geeza is on a distinguished road. (+10) .Geeza is on a distinguished road. (+10) .Geeza is on a distinguished road. (+10) .Geeza is on a distinguished road. (+10) .Geeza is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    why do sit ups? all the time? I can understand the motive but you can work the core from your usual squats and deadlifts.
    PAIN IS WEAKNESS LEAVING THE BODY

Originally Posted by .Geeza View Post
    why do sit ups? all the time? I can understand the motive but you can work the core from your usual squats and deadlifts.
    Exactly, however throwing in a few planks or hanging leg raises wouldn't hurt.

Core work is very important, but "crunches, situps, etc" are all so overrated it isn't even funny.

dule79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dule79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I found weighted ab workouts awesome. No countless reps. Just 10-12 reps x3-4 sets and my abs are burning. Bigger ab muscles, faster you'll see them

Any further advice on my workout split, nutrition and photo I posted.

My arms seem kind of small, and obviously I want them cut but also with some size....worried that as I lose fat they will only get smaller lol

DRtrainer will become famous soon enough. (+50) DRtrainer will become famous soon enough. (+50) DRtrainer will become famous soon enough. (+50) DRtrainer will become famous soon enough. (+50) DRtrainer will become famous soon enough. (+50) DRtrainer will become famous soon enough. (+50) DRtrainer will become famous soon enough. (+50) DRtrainer will become famous soon enough. (+50) DRtrainer will become famous soon enough. (+50) DRtrainer will become famous soon enough. (+50) DRtrainer will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    wow from your pic it feels like i'm looking at my own body, did you lost a lot of weight in the past?

dule79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dule79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by AlMuminoon View Post
    Any further advice on my workout split, nutrition and photo I posted.

My arms seem kind of small, and obviously I want them cut but also with some size....worried that as I lose fat they will only get smaller lol

Don't worry about arms. You don't have shoulders and chests neither. But that's ok, you can gain them at some point in future.
    Workout splits are not that important, you need to be persistent with workouts and diet, and results will come soon or a later.
    At this point, it seems that you really need to focus on your diet. Once you get lean, it will be easier to correct details

Originally Posted by DRtrainer View Post
    wow from your pic it feels like i'm looking at my own body, did you lost a lot of weight in the past?
    Hi trainer, a few years ago I went through some hard times and dropped a lot of weight (didnt eat) and didnt workout. That basically means I lost a lot of muscle and fat. Unfortunately I starting eating pizza and chips and burgers when things got better and well just got fat. Never have had visible abs though.

Originally Posted by dule79 View Post
    Don't worry about arms. You don't have shoulders and chests neither. But that's ok, you can gain them at some point in future.
    Workout splits are not that important, you need to be persistent with workouts and diet, and results will come soon or a later.
    At this point, it seems that you really need to focus on your diet. Once you get lean, it will be easier to correct details
    Thanks for the response dule, so if workout splits are not important...what is? I mean how should I be training?

I really want to build a ton of muscle but obviously need to lose the fat. I am working out a bodypart a day because as far as I know that is the best way to build muscle.

sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    hell, i've got the veins that run up from the crotch area and start going to your lower pack, and i'm at around 16 or 17% right now. genetics i suppose. i'm really wanting those bicep veins though. THAT'S where it's at. i think i've actually started to see the vertical one come in slightly from my last few back/bicep days when doing BB curls...i guess that means my bulk has been going good if i'm actually increasing a little vascularity. i'm sure when i do my next cut i'll have both ab AND bicep veins...and BB.com will have to suffer close-to-nude pics of me displaying all.

edit: just keep following a split. i don't think it's wise to advise that a split is not important, b/c i believe it really is as far as helping someone understand how to work their body in the most efficient way. it's surely not that hard to be dedicated to both a split AND diet, so just go ahead and train with a proven workout program that works for you. i train 3 days a week, back/bis, chest/tris, legs/shoulders- simple yet effective.

DRtrainer will become famous soon enough. (+50) DRtrainer will become famous soon enough. (+50) DRtrainer will become famous soon enough. (+50) DRtrainer will become famous soon enough. (+50) DRtrainer will become famous soon enough. (+50) DRtrainer will become famous soon enough. (+50) DRtrainer will become famous soon enough. (+50) DRtrainer will become famous soon enough. (+50) DRtrainer will become famous soon enough. (+50) DRtrainer will become famous soon enough. (+50) DRtrainer will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i too lost a lot of weight few years ago, and my stomach looked exactly like yours, but i managed to get my body fat a lilttle lower than yours, what you need to do is build as much muscle as you can, at your current situation the more muscle you build the lower your body fat will start to get.

-TC- is just really nice. (+1000) -TC- is just really nice. (+1000) -TC- is just really nice. (+1000) -TC- is just really nice. (+1000) -TC- is just really nice. (+1000) -TC- is just really nice. (+1000) -TC- is just really nice. (+1000) -TC- is just really nice. (+1000) -TC- is just really nice. (+1000) -TC- is just really nice. (+1000) -TC- is just really nice. (+1000)
    abs are made from staying away from the kitchen

Thanks for the response dule, so if workout splits are not important...what is? I mean how should I be training?

I really want to build a ton of muscle but obviously need to lose the fat. I am working out a bodypart a day because as far as I know that is the best way to build muscle.

For example, most of people do Chest+biceps split. I prefer to do Chest+triceps, since I already warm up triceps with bench presses and dips. But it's only a matter of personal preference. What really important is, you need serious sets that will lead to muscle failure and growth stimulus. Lift hard, and switch exercises once in a while so your body can't adapt to a routine. It's the same with abs too. You don't do crunches for years. This month do regular crunches and leg raises, next month do cable crunches and bench leg pull-in. In fact, there are dozen of exercises you can explore here:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercise...cle/abdominals

naija2atl is on a distinguished road. (+10) naija2atl is on a distinguished road. (+10) naija2atl is on a distinguished road. (+10) naija2atl is on a distinguished road. (+10) naija2atl is on a distinguished road. (+10) naija2atl is on a distinguished road. (+10) naija2atl is on a distinguished road. (+10) naija2atl is on a distinguished road. (+10) naija2atl is on a distinguished road. (+10) naija2atl is on a distinguished road. (+10) naija2atl is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Not even close

Originally Posted by dule79 View Post
    For example, most of people do Chest+biceps split. I prefer to do Chest+triceps, since I already warm up triceps with bench presses and dips. But it's only a matter of personal preference. What really important is, you need serious sets that will lead to muscle failure and growth stimulus. Lift hard, and switch exercises once in a while so your body can't adapt to a routine. It's the same with abs too. You don't do crunches for years. This month do regular crunches and leg raises, next month do cable crunches and bench leg pull-in. In fact, there are dozen of exercises you can explore here:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercise...cle/abdominals
    Yeah I am just going to stick to heavy compounds which is why I was going to do 5/3/1 or WS4SB but honestly bodybuilding training for me is the perfect mixture. I do jump rope/shadow boxing before a workout plus some cycling (cardio). That lasts in total for 15mins, then I do 45mins hard on a specific bodypart. Sound strange I know, but it has only been a week and I am seeing results.
    Originally Posted by naija2atl View Post
    Not even close
    lol, thanks!

guess its a long road for me

brb in 5 years

Shlokda has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shlokda has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jlsnyderTypeR View Post
    I strongly believe it's the other way around.... Abs are like any other muscle, you're never going to see them unless you build them first.
    There's some truth to that. At the same time, your core gets worked more than most muscles throughout your life, and abs probably take less direct work than most other muscle groups. They also get hit alot if you're doing your big compound deadlift/squat excercises. Alot of people already have half decent abs , they're just obscured by fat.

Fat2killUSA has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Fat2killUSA has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Fat2killUSA has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Fat2killUSA has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Fat2killUSA has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Fat2killUSA has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Fat2killUSA has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Fat2killUSA has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Fat2killUSA has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by .Geeza View Post
    bicep veins is where its at.

i have bicep vein visible and i have veins in abs but there not visible currently on deficit

Fresuvi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have found that my abs don't show unless I'm at around 7% BF...Any less and they start to shrink away, any more and they don't have as much of a shrink wrap effect(By show I mean as in full on 6 pack without flexing).

I noticed my lower abs starting to show many veins at around 10-12% BF. It was significantly more noticeable when I consumed ~2 gallons of water per day. My body shape is extremely lean though, so I'm sure having low BF levels wouldn't prove much benefit for some.

I'd almost prefer if I was about 10% and had a bigger chest and shoulders.

But veins in the lower abdominal area are mostly genetic related. I personally have quite a few large veins there, but many of my friends who are much more ripped than I, have absolutely no visible veins in their stomach.

Edit: I have some extreme bicep veins after I work out. Pretty sure those are genetic as well.

TheeSwan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am new to all this. I am currently taking place in a 12 week body transformation. Into week 10 now, and I have veins showing in my lower ab region for the first time. I do not know my body fat %, so was just curious as to the maximum body fat a woman has had when these started to show.....I'm excited by the way, I am looking forward to continuing on with my journey

Ppem is not very well liked. (-100) Ppem is not very well liked. (-100) Ppem is not very well liked. (-100) Ppem is not very well liked. (-100) Ppem is not very well liked. (-100) Ppem is not very well liked. (-100) Ppem is not very well liked. (-100) Ppem is not very well liked. (-100) Ppem is not very well liked. (-100) Ppem is not very well liked. (-100) Ppem is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by -TC- View Post
    abs are made from staying away from the kitchen
    No thats malnutrition

abs are made with a calorie deficit...

Hey bro how long have you been working out at the gym? Stop focusing only in abs . reduce body fat then build muscle and then cut it will take a long time! IMO!

jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by TheeSwan View Post
    I am new to all this. I am currently taking place in a 12 week body transformation. Into week 10 now, and I have veins showing in my lower ab region for the first time. I do not know my body fat %, so was just curious as to the maximum body fat a woman has had when these started to show.....I'm excited by the way, I am looking forward to continuing on with my journey
    There isn't a magical number for this, since everyone holds fat and different locations. Although, I would guess this might put you somewhere in the low 20's to high teens. Just my opinion...

Originally Posted by Ppem View Post
    abs are made with a calorie deficit...
    I hate to keep repeating myself, but this simply implies that your abdominal section requires zero work. Would you apply this logic to any other muscle group? I hope not, however too many people listen to this nonsense and waste tons of their valuable time dieting down to the weight of a holocaust survivor, AND still not acquiring the lustrous midsection they seek.
    **PUREBLOOD FOR LIFE CREW**
    -- A e s t h e t i c s C r e w -- E x t r e m e D i p s C r e w -- M i s c C a r C r e w ---
    **2004 Acura NSX**2017 Honda Civic Type R, BADGE #357**
    **2018 BMW X5M**2020 Toyota TRD PRO**
    **Sandwiches are made in the KITCHEN......ABS are built in the GYM!**

libtolu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) libtolu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) libtolu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) libtolu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) libtolu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) libtolu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) libtolu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) libtolu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) libtolu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) libtolu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) libtolu has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by jlsnyderTypeR View Post
    My six-pack is still visible and only starts to disappear around 15-16%.

I agree, but I also think most people will have to diet down to the look of a meth addict to see a visible six-pack with out doing direct ab work.
    Serp doesn't believe in direct ab work and has a pretty decent set
    ** Forever Cutting Crew**

Squat: 375lbs
    Bench: 253lbs
    Deads: 485lbs

jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by libtolu View Post
    Serp doesn't believe in direct ab work and has a pretty decent set
    That statement might seem legit except you took both comments out of context! Read my post again, I advocate direct work and I train my abs 4-5 days a week!
    **PUREBLOOD FOR LIFE CREW**
    -- A e s t h e t i c s C r e w -- E x t r e m e D i p s C r e w -- M i s c C a r C r e w ---
    **2004 Acura NSX**2017 Honda Civic Type R, BADGE #357**
    **2018 BMW X5M**2020 Toyota TRD PRO**
    **Sandwiches are made in the KITCHEN......ABS are built in the GYM!**

Jordh7190 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    like a lot of people have mentioned it's all to do with diet. i've been cutting the past 8 weeks and have starting to see quite a few veins appearing all around my abs, patience is key.

TheMinimalist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheMinimalist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheMinimalist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheMinimalist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheMinimalist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheMinimalist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheMinimalist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheMinimalist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheMinimalist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheMinimalist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheMinimalist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by jon1995 View Post
    Its both isn't it? I mean you have to diet down to a low bf% to have abs but you also have to have muscle there
    this.

i never worked abs.

lost bf, and yes, i could see my abs, but they weren't really prominent at all. i mean, i now realize that you need to hit the abs to make them grow too. losing body fat just helps make them look better "bigger", just how getting leaner makes your muscles "look bigger", it's all an illusion, but yeah, best bet is a combination of losing bf, AND doing ab work.
    Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything - all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.
    -Steve Jobs