Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Kriis1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kriis1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kriis1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kriis1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kriis1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kriis1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kriis1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kriis1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kriis1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kriis1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kriis1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Are push-ups on your knees still effective?

Im doing p90x, on day 1 of my 3rd week, at the start I could not do a single push-up without doing them on my knees. Now I can only do 3 normal push-ups and then I need to do the rest on my knees (pathetic, I know). Are push-ups on your knees still good if you still feel the burn? Also, are pull-ups still good aswell if you use a chair to support you?

Thanks

VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Kriis1990 View Post
    Im doing p90x, on day 1 of my 3rd week, at the start I could not do a single push-up without doing them on my knees. Now I can only do 3 normal push-ups and then I need to do the rest on my knees (pathetic, I know). Are push-ups on your knees still good if you still feel the burn? Also, are pull-ups still good aswell if you use a chair to support you?

Thanks
    Yes. If you are putting forth the effort and gradually getting stronger over time, then they are working. Everyone needs to start somewhere.
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

AudiRS6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AudiRS6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AudiRS6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AudiRS6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AudiRS6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AudiRS6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AudiRS6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AudiRS6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AudiRS6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AudiRS6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AudiRS6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Edit: sure OP, why not.
    Last edited by AudiRS6; 06-22-2011 at 12:54 PM.

BBCing with a 365 Tan LBJackson4's Avatar
    LBJackson4 is just really nice. (+1000) LBJackson4 is just really nice. (+1000) LBJackson4 is just really nice. (+1000) LBJackson4 is just really nice. (+1000) LBJackson4 is just really nice. (+1000) LBJackson4 is just really nice. (+1000) LBJackson4 is just really nice. (+1000) LBJackson4 is just really nice. (+1000) LBJackson4 is just really nice. (+1000) LBJackson4 is just really nice. (+1000) LBJackson4 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by AudiRS6 View Post
    Rofl...most likely not.
    way to deflate somebody's balloon that came to a bodybuilding website to ask a legitimate question. everybody doesn't come straight out the womb able to pushup their bodyweight and able to pullup/chinup and dip their own bodyweight....I know I wasn't.

To answer your question op, yes they are still effective, but they should be done with the intentions on building the strength to pushup your own bodyweight....set a goal/timeframe for yourself. good luck with the p90x
    New York Football Giants, New York Knicks, New York Yankees, and if I followed hockey, it would be the New York Rangers.....bet you can't guess where i'm from

KoHuskie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KoHuskie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KoHuskie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KoHuskie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KoHuskie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KoHuskie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KoHuskie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KoHuskie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KoHuskie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KoHuskie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KoHuskie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Of course they are. If you are not capable to bench 135lbs, you just don't load up 1 plate on the bar. Start slow like you are. Focus on form, and you will eventually be able to knock more and more standard pushups out. We all start somewhere and as long as you can honestly say you are pushing yourself, don't worry about how you are doing it.

provesomething has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) provesomething has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) provesomething has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) provesomething has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) provesomething has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) provesomething has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) provesomething has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) provesomething has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) provesomething has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) provesomething has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    sorta kinda

oRockSolido has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oRockSolido has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oRockSolido has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oRockSolido has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oRockSolido has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oRockSolido has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oRockSolido has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oRockSolido has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yes, that is absolutely fine. I remember when I started working out I couldn't do a pushup, everyone has to start somewhere. Just don't make the knee pushups sloppy, do them right and work towards doing pushups on your feet. Good luck.
    Bench:

"If you really want to do something, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse."

6/20/2011 - 247 lbs
    7/06/2011 - 237 lbs

VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz
    Rofl...most likely not.
    Strong not knowing what you're talking about.

The OP stated that he has progressed from not being able to do one pushup to now being able to do 3, by utilizing knee-pushups in the interim. Obviously, for him, they are effective enough since he improved his 1RM to a 3RM in two weeks.
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

Mr.Xrcise is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr.Xrcise is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr.Xrcise is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr.Xrcise is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr.Xrcise is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr.Xrcise is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr.Xrcise is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr.Xrcise is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr.Xrcise is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr.Xrcise is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr.Xrcise is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Thanks
    Its not at all pathetic young warrior. KUDOS to you for giving it a shot, keep going and it will get better. Let none of the negativity that you may come across round these parts prevent you from succeeding!

Hiding from ForumNature 400Lb Gorilla's Avatar
    400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz
    other than the fukking dickwad in post 3 i agree with everyone here. just keep progressing. eventually you will be doing these with your feet incline(or going more into weightlifting) for these.

as for the pullup thing it is okay to use your feet in a chair but i would highly recommend getting you some kind of resistance band that puts the same pressure each rep. you dont always get the same amount of "help" from your feet in a chair as you do some consistent like a band(or assist machine if you have access)

other than that i cant really help you. i am lucky that pushups were never that hard for me and pullps only slightly harder. my initial weakness came from the legs.

Jimbo48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jimbo48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jimbo48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jimbo48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jimbo48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jimbo48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jimbo48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jimbo48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jimbo48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jimbo48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jimbo48 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You might want to add a small weight (5-10lbs) on your back, one that won't fall off when you're doing a pushup. I think there is a big delta in strength required to do a traditional pushup from one done from your knees. This should get you to your goal of doing many reps of traditional pushups.

Another way to look at it is if you couldn't bench 135, you wouldn't drop down to just using the bar in order to be able to bench 135. You would use an intermediate weight which I believe is analogous to doing a pushup on your knees with some weight on your back.

Good luck.

ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    it's better to die on your feet than live on your knees

hope this helps

ta for now
    Who was this love of yours?

im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    since I am a body builder i like to take my self to the next level via super failure. Essentially a chest session will consist of wide grip partial rom flat bench, followed with incline d.b. bench, chest press, pullovers and then I quick run over and pound out stop cable crossovers. At this point, a normal exercise section gym goer would quit. But not me. I quick fall to the ground and pound out some push ups to failure, when i fail I act like tycoil's mom and get on my knees to pound out some more to failure, at this point I have failed at multiple points throughout the day so I collapse on the floor unable to move my arms. So I just lay there and flex my chest lifting myself about 2 inches off the ground by using my chest and will power alone. The added body weight really gives me a strong std like burn. I hope this helps.

kevlaar is on a distinguished road. (+10) kevlaar is on a distinguished road. (+10) kevlaar is on a distinguished road. (+10) kevlaar is on a distinguished road. (+10) kevlaar is on a distinguished road. (+10) kevlaar is on a distinguished road. (+10) kevlaar is on a distinguished road. (+10) kevlaar is on a distinguished road. (+10) kevlaar is on a distinguished road. (+10) kevlaar is on a distinguished road. (+10) kevlaar is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    if you find them difficult and are struggling at the ends of your sets then yes, they are effective.

rnlindne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rnlindne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rnlindne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Rofl...most likely not.
    douche

rutzilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rutzilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rutzilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rutzilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rutzilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rutzilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rutzilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rutzilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rutzilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rutzilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rutzilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    keep going woman, try the regular pshups once a week to see your progression. Good luck and don't give up.

Didn't know azzholes drove Audis

terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Nothing wrong with doing them assisted if that's what it take to eventually build up enough strength in order to do them unassisted. It's no different then using a chair to assist when first gaining the strength to do pull-ups. Everyone needs to start somewhere.

superbuffstud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thanks
    what, like lay on the ground and use your knees to push you up?
    that sounds good but I don't know how It'll help your normal pushups...

Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by superbuffstud View Post
    what, like lay on the ground and use your knees to push you up?
    that sounds good but I don't know how It'll help your normal pushups...
    lol?

doing lower weight to progress to high weight.

its taking weight away from the pushup

how do people achieve a 300 pound bench?
    they do lower weight til they are capable of doing so. using lower weight to work their way up.
    start at 135
    eventually you will hit 300

lets say you weigh 200 pounds. avg(i think) pushup is 60% of bodyweight or some ****.
    120 bench. lets say knee is 40% of body weight. 80 pounds.

you are "Benching" 80 pounds til you can do 120.
    (numbers i put out are just random numbers to use as an example)

same concept. anyone who disagrees is a dumbass

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Knee push ups can be a tool in building strength for people who aren't up to doing full ones yet.

Even when you're up to doing full ones, they still make a good warm-up, not to mention you can switch to doing them after you reach failure with full ones like kind of a drop set or whatever.

GHODT55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GHODT55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GHODT55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GHODT55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GHODT55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GHODT55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GHODT55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GHODT55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GHODT55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GHODT55 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GHODT55 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by rutzilla View Post
    keep going woman, try the regular pshups once a week to see your progression. Good luck and don't give up.

Didn't know azzholes drove Audis
    ahahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Delgadido is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by GHODT55 View Post
    ahahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    neg on recharge. i saw what you posted before edit

aedile has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aedile has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aedile has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aedile has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aedile has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thanks
    Hey op, don't get discouraged challenge yourself every workout. I have been doing p90x for 5 months I started out only being able to do 10 push ups barely with extremely sloppy form, now my max is 38. Chair assisted pullup/chin ups is ok I did them in the beginning because if I didn't my arms would become jelly well before the work out was finished, eventually you will be able to do them un assisted. Also get push up bars they help alot you can get better ROM dig deep into your chest muscles. Try bands for pullups a couple weeks and engage your muscles good when you do them.
    Last edited by aedile; 06-22-2011 at 05:54 AM.

bmiller788 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bmiller788 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bmiller788 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bmiller788 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bmiller788 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bmiller788 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bmiller788 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bmiller788 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bmiller788 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bmiller788 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bmiller788 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    To kris1900,

This thread gave me motivation to do some knee-push ups just now. But I felt them working the tris and shoulders.

SRS (seriously)

euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Thanks
    I think you are best off doing the 3 full ones then resting a minute until you can do some more full ones rather than swapping to your knees.

RBBX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Knee Push Ups

Performing knee push ups are perfectly fine to do when you feel the muscle being stimulated. It also seems like you are getting stronger and better at performing regular push ups, so progess is being made. I would suggest to vary the widths of your hands when performing knee push ups. Try a narrow hand position and then try a wider hand position. This will stimulate different areas of the muscle. In addition, try to perform your knee push ups slower on the eccentric part of the push up (the lowering of your body). This will help increase your strength and in time, will allow you to execute more regular push ups.
    http://www.rippedbodybuilding.com/articles/

lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yes, they are ok. When I first started, I couldn't do even do one proper push up.

A better option is to do them with knees off the ground and your hands on a raised surface, such as a coffee table or the foot board of your bed until you get stronger.

map84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) map84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) map84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) map84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) map84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) map84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) map84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) map84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) map84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) map84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) map84 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    All that matters is progress, going from zero to three is great! Keep working at it and don't let anyone put you down.

Anyone know would his workout be more effective if say he raised his hands a little (like on a step), it'd reduce the weight he's working with a little so allow more push ups than three and could be more effective and have a better range of motion than using knees?

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by lovingit View Post
    A better option is to do them with knees off the ground and your hands on a raised surface, such as a coffee table or the foot board of your bed until you get stronger.
    Knees off the ground would make it harder I think, though elevating the hands could counter-act that and I guess you could get a bigger stretch...

I usually like to elevate knees on a couch or something cause then I can't complate "my patellas are squished!" and other excuses.

Registered User DrunkParkRanger's Avatar
    DrunkParkRanger is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrunkParkRanger is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrunkParkRanger is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrunkParkRanger is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrunkParkRanger is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrunkParkRanger is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrunkParkRanger is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrunkParkRanger is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrunkParkRanger is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrunkParkRanger is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrunkParkRanger is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    try throwing in some negatives for both
    Really helped my pullups when I first started