misterno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How to exercise while on a low carb diet?

I read an article where it says eat carb on exercise days and no carb if there is no exercise

Do you guys agree?

I am on low carb and I am very happy with the results. The problem is; before the low carb diet, I was able to do 3 sets of several exercises now I am exhausted after 1 set.

I am losing weight but can not build muscle. I am even losing muscle at this point.

I also read other articles recommending to eat more fat as energy source to make up for the carbs I used to eat.

So what is the best approach?

-TC- is just really nice. (+1000) -TC- is just really nice. (+1000) -TC- is just really nice. (+1000) -TC- is just really nice. (+1000) -TC- is just really nice. (+1000) -TC- is just really nice. (+1000) -TC- is just really nice. (+1000) -TC- is just really nice. (+1000) -TC- is just really nice. (+1000) -TC- is just really nice. (+1000) -TC- is just really nice. (+1000)
    some like low carb, some like high, some like moderate. Up to you as to which works best.

Brutal skin thinning igglesphan's Avatar
    igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000) igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000) igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000) igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000) igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000) igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000) igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000) igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000) igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000) igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000) igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000)
    How much weight are you losing per week? How much have you lost so far?

I am losing 1 lbs per week now but no belly fat for some reason

That is why I am suspecting of losing muscle

I am thinking of increasing fat consumption overall. The way I understand is fat can overtake what glucose was doing

Also, I stopped drinking protein shake, I should start that as well

What do you think?

ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by misterno View Post

What do you think?
    I think we need more information.

How many calories are you eating every day?

How many grams of protein?

How many grams of fat?

Define "low carb"

Give us your height, weight and progress for last couple months.
    A diet isn't punishment. A diet is a way to reward your body with the wholesome, nutritious food that it needs. Your body composition is a direct reflection of what you put in your mouth.

Height 5"6'
    Weight 148

Typical food intake from myfitday.com (See attached)

By the way, my BF is 27.7%, I am losing weight but nothing from the belly
    Attached Files

nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Height 5"6'
    Weight 148

As per the belly fat, I'm at about 14% bodyfat and feel the same way about the belly. It's just the last thing to go, you have a long way to go before worrying about it is worth it. And it's getting smaller, inch by inch. You'll get there.

From here out I'm going to tell you why I think you should switch to a moderate carb diet as opposed to a low carb diet--this is just a suggestion.

If you're losing 1lb a week on low carb diet, after having been at it awhile, you're losing it because of a caloric deficit, not because of the magic of ketosis. When you start a low carb diet, you flush a lot of water, giving an illusory appearance of rapid fat loss. Granted, those pounds of water are weight. Carbs give you enegy and make exercise a lot easier. If you eat the same calories as you do now, but lower fats and proteins (I didnt' open the attachment, I'm just gonna assume both are high because you are on keto) you will lose fat at the same rate you are now. You'll probably retain some water when you start, but that's just water, we're trying to lose fat here. Carbs will make exercise easier, and probably elevate your mood.

Or, you could just do a day week where you eat a lot of carbs, which most people call a refeeed.

Personally, I have never found a low carb approach to be bad, really, I don't have trouble adhering to them, and you can only shovel so much bacon and cheese down your throat, so you end up not overreating, but at the end of the day, I'd rather have energy and variety in what I eat while I lose fat at the same rate.

Good luck bud, keep at it.

ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Height 5"6'
    Weight 148

27.7? Not 27.6? 27.8? Since there is no accurate way to measure body fat within a few percent, I'm guessing you are using a worthless handheld monitor or even worse a scale...

Monitoring muscle gain and loss is even more difficult. Muscle is not lost very easily if your diet is decent and you are working out.

28% body fat is fairly heavy. Are you a woman? 5'6" and 148 doesn't seem to make sense. That would mean 106 pounds of lean body mass.

A picture would be very informative.
    A diet isn't punishment. A diet is a way to reward your body with the wholesome, nutritious food that it needs. Your body composition is a direct reflection of what you put in your mouth.

Duke_fann has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by nlite2000 View Post
    As per the belly fat, I'm at about 14% bodyfat and feel the same way about the belly. It's just the last thing to go, you have a long way to go before worrying about it is worth it. And it's getting smaller, inch by inch. You'll get there.

From here out I'm going to tell you why I think you should switch to a moderate carb diet as opposed to a low carb diet--this is just a suggestion.

If you're losing 1lb a week on low carb diet, after having been at it awhile, you're losing it because of a caloric deficit, not because of the magic of ketosis. When you start a low carb diet, you flush a lot of water, giving an illusory appearance of rapid fat loss. Granted, those pounds of water are weight. Carbs give you enegy and make exercise a lot easier. If you eat the same calories as you do now, but lower fats and proteins (I didnt' open the attachment, I'm just gonna assume both are high because you are on keto) you will lose fat at the same rate you are now. You'll probably retain some water when you start, but that's just water, we're trying to lose fat here. Carbs will make exercise easier, and probably elevate your mood.

Or, you could just do a day week where you eat a lot of carbs, which most people call a refeeed.

Personally, I have never found a low carb approach to be bad, really, I don't have trouble adhering to them, and you can only shovel so much bacon and cheese down your throat, so you end up not overreating, but at the end of the day, I'd rather have energy and variety in what I eat while I lose fat at the same rate.

This.

When I was on a Keto diet, I tried to consume as much water as I could before and during my workout, it seemed to help. Less carbs = less water retention. Do you feel exhausted or dehydrated
    December 2010 - 237.0

6-3: 210.8| 6-10: 206.8 | 6-17: 205.8 | 6-24: 204.4 | Month Total:
    7-1: xxx | 7-8: xxx | 7-15: xxx | 7-22: xxx | 7-29: xxx | Month Total:
    8-5: xxx | 8-12: xxx | 8-19: xxx | 8-26: xxx | Month Total:
    Final Weigh-in | 9-1: xxx

Final Goal: 185

Originally Posted by nlite2000 View Post

I am not sure how you understood I am not losing fat but water only. How did you understand that?

How did you understand I am losing weight due to calorie deficit but not carb deficit?

Also, I am looking at my arms and legs and ass, and I can tell it is shrinking, and I think it is because I am not exercising anymore due to feeling week, no energy at all.

I am male 42 years old, 148 lbs and 5'6" height and have a waist line of 36"

I am losing weight at the rate of 1lbs per week but 36" does not want to come down maybe a little

I was planning to eat more fat for energy that I need for the exercise and start drinking protein shake after exercise instead of eating a little chicken and veggies.

For calculation of BF, I used the below website and entered my forearm, wrist and all that so it says my BF is %27.2 which means I am obese.

I am not feeling weak or exhausted, as a matter of fact I feel great with 148lbs but I just don't have the energy to go thru 1 hr exercise like I used to do. I tried several times and hit the wall in 20 min.

Any comments?
    Last edited by misterno; 06-21-2011 at 07:06 AM.

sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    you're not obese. overweight at best but at that weight it sounds more like 'skinny fat' than anything else. pics man, we need a pic to really know what's going on.

I will post a pic when I get home

By the way, my blood results came today

I dunno if it will help you guys any but here you go

-------------- Triglycerides--- HDL-- LDL-- Cholesterol
    08/26/2010 ---- 133--------- 50 -- 115 --- 192
    06/15/2011 ---- 53----------- 53---- 98---- 161
    Last edited by misterno; 06-21-2011 at 07:17 AM.

wowbob396 is just really nice. (+1000) wowbob396 is just really nice. (+1000) wowbob396 is just really nice. (+1000) wowbob396 is just really nice. (+1000) wowbob396 is just really nice. (+1000) wowbob396 is just really nice. (+1000) wowbob396 is just really nice. (+1000) wowbob396 is just really nice. (+1000) wowbob396 is just really nice. (+1000) wowbob396 is just really nice. (+1000) wowbob396 is just really nice. (+1000)
    What is your end goal?

Because if what you said is true you are at 27%bodfat at 148 lb and your goal is to cut to like 7 or 8% bodyfat you would have to lose 30 pounds so don't worry so much about fat loss right now and more so on weights and muscle gain. Trust me losing that much weight and being that small isn't going to look good.

What I said were assumptions but it is common for these to be end goals for just about everyone and I don't want you to try to make the same mistake many people make, including me.

I am not trying to lose weight, actually it would be nice to build muscle but my MAIN GOAL is to lose the inches on the waist

I don't care about the weight or muscle or BF% or anything else

I just don't want this belly and for some reason my body is trying to hold on to that belly fat and get rid of everything else

I feel like I am fighting with my body metabolism every day.

Any other comments?