Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33 41 42 43
Results 1,261 to 1,277 of 1277
    Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Bo_Flecks View Post
    Looks like you make some good choices. I like the way that routine layed out. My guess, though, is that once you get into it and the weight/intensity increases, you'll be in the gym a little longer than a half hour.
    My guess is that you are going to be right on this one!
    "The LORD is my Strength and my Song, and He has become my Salvation! This is my God, and I will praise Him, my Father's God and I will exalt Him!" - Exodus 15:2

My Dry Bones Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135650711

smharris1971 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) smharris1971 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) smharris1971 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) smharris1971 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) smharris1971 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) smharris1971 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) smharris1971 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) smharris1971 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) smharris1971 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) smharris1971 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) smharris1971 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Swann74 View Post
    Thanks Sean, and congrats to you as well. When is the wedding?
    Thank you, brother! Next May. We are looking at venues and such right now. Hoping to get all of that squared away soon.

Things are looking great! Keep up the awesome work, my friend!!
    Sean
    Proud father of 5
    US Navy Vet (93 - 01)

He lifted me out of the pit of despair, out of the mud and the mire. He set my feet on solid ground and steadied me as I walked along. Psalm 40:2

My first workout journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139229543

Diehard fan!
    Kansas City Royals, Kansas City Chiefs, Missouri Mavericks, Missouri Tigers

Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Therefore since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us! (Hebrews 12:1 ESV)

They did a study on lifters, and determined that on average trainees can lift 2-3% more simply by having an audience of two or more. Something about having others keep watch on you motivates you to dig deeper and lift heavier, more, or better. When we know eyes are on us, we want to perform better. And we do perform better! I think that’s one of the reasons that many of us journal. I have mentioned it before, but I know that if I start slacking off, someone’s going to call me out on it. I have e-witnesses surrounding me, so I’d better perform. I don’t want to have to come online and post that I gave up.

The passage in Hebrews offers this same idea. While different teachers have interpreted the “cloud of witnesses” differently, one very valid interpretation is that the witnesses are those who are surrounding us and watching our lives. If I know that I’m being observed, then I realize that I need to strive all the harder to live a Christ-like life, not only for my sake but also for the sake of those who are watching. There is a need to set an example. I’ve often wondered… if there were a website called “spiritbuilding.com” instead of “bodybuilding.com” and there was a section to journal your ‘training’… how many of us would want to post there? Or would we be afraid of the cloud of witnesses asking us where/how we were training? Something to consider.

Day 2 went very well! I warmed up for the DL much better, and the performance all around was better. I enjoyed it, which is always a good thing to say about your training!

Day 2 (July 24, 2012)

Deadlift
    260x3x3
    Learning from yesterday, I made sure to hit some nice warm-up lifts on the Deadlift today. I hit singles at 135, 185, 225, and 275. I wanted to hit a warm-up single at 275 even though it was higher than my working weight to really fire up the system. When I backed down to the 260 it was no problem whatsoever. I easily could have hit 2x5 rather than the 3x3, but I’m working the plan. Double pronated grip on the first three singles, then mixed grip for the 275 and the work sets – alternating the hands each set to balance out the work.

Military Press
    120x3x3
    Easy-peasy. Power Cleaned into rack position then pressed these up. Smooth and solid.

Pull-ups
    (Chain)x3x3
    It occurred to me that I really have no idea how much the chains I’m going to be using to hold the weight for the weighted pull-ups weighs. With that in mind, rather than going straight to adding five pounds, I figured I’d do bodyweight+chain first, then add five. Just a precaution.

Two-Handed Kettlebell Swings
    KB (35#) x28*
    I think that I may have done more than 28 of these today. I got distracted with my focus on form and tension and lost count. I wanted to err on the side of extra reps, so I know that I did at least 28… possibly more.

Turkish Get-ups
    KB+Chain x3x2
    To up the weight on the Get-ups, I’m going to chain some extra weight to the kettlebell. So this was done pretty much for the same reason as the pull-ups… just to make sure that the added weight transitions stay on point. Since I don’t rest between sets on the Get-ups, this ended up being 12 reps in a row. If you are really focused on quality of movement, that gets pretty tiring and demanding. Felt good.

Day 2 is in the bag. Everything felt smooth, and my energy levels were good throughout. No complaints about this program so far!
    "The LORD is my Strength and my Song, and He has become my Salvation! This is my God, and I will praise Him, my Father's God and I will exalt Him!" - Exodus 15:2

bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I could feel the energy just reading your log. Way to go.

So, did you reach a decision on the possible ministry change? You may have answered that already, but I haven't read to catch up, just picked up where I came in.
    David, a 56 year old pastor, husband and father.

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified

Best Lifts - Squat 375lbs Bench 205 lbs Deadlift 470lbs. Goals in next year? Be the best Me I can be.

Smolovian apprentice mharrislove's Avatar
    mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good call on "working the plan"! Time and experience are mighty fine teachers...
    "First train the mind, then the body."

Made from all-natural products since 1968...no gear, no HRT, no prohormones.

Originally Posted by smharris1971 View Post
    Thank you, brother! Next May. We are looking at venues and such right now. Hoping to get all of that squared away soon.

Things are looking great! Keep up the awesome work, my friend!!
    Sounds exciting brother. And appreciate your continued support!

Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
    I could feel the energy just reading your log. Way to go.

So, did you reach a decision on the possible ministry change? You may have answered that already, but I haven't read to catch up, just picked up where I came in.
    Today I can honestly say I felt "charged!"
    Regarding the ministry change: the search committee and the pastor both want me; I preach for the church as a whole on 8/5. If they vote "Yea" then we will definitely be accepting the position and hopefully be in TX by mid-September.

Originally Posted by mharrislove View Post
    Good call on "working the plan"! Time and experience are mighty fine teachers...
    Mighty fine teachers even to a obstinate student like myself. I just wish I hadn't resisted the lessons for as long as I did!

My son, do not lose sight of these—keep sound wisdom and discretion, and they will be life for your soul and adornment for your neck. Then you will walk on your way securely, and your foot will not stumble. (Proverbs 3:21-23 ESV)

Dang, Dang, Dang, and Dog-Gone Dang!

No training today due to a back injury. It feels like I pulled a muscle in my lower right side, but I’m not positive. I think the muscle is inflamed against my sciatic nerve, because my right leg is aching severely.

Want to know the ironic part? I didn’t do it during my workout! I somehow injured myself while warming up and doing some mobility work. The same mobility work that I do every day; no additions or alterations.

I am beyond frustrated right now…

bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    just rest up, get better, the weights will be there another day.
    David, a 56 year old pastor, husband and father.

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified

Best Lifts - Squat 375lbs Bench 205 lbs Deadlift 470lbs. Goals in next year? Be the best Me I can be.

Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    [b][i]Therefore since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses
    We just recently studied 2Kings. You state that there's been multiple interpreations of on the cloud of witnesses, but it reminds me of And Elisha prayed, "O LORD, open his eyes so he may see." Then the LORD opened the servant's eyes, and he looked and saw the hills full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha.

Pull-ups
    (Chain)x3x3
    They don't call it microloading for nothing I think this was an acceptable approach. My attitude is that I've got years so why add too much too quick only to hurry my STALL!

gjdm
    Pull-Up PR: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177233951

Your boasting is not good. Do you not know that a little leaven leavens the whole lump? Cleanse out the old leaven that you may be a new lump, as you really are unleavened. For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed. Let us therefore celebrate the festival, not with the old leaven, the leaven of malice and evil, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth. (1 Corinthians 5:6-8 ESV)

A part of me thinks that everyone should suffer from a back injury at some point. Now, don't get me wrong... I'm not saying this out of bitterness for my own injury. Rather, a back injury really does remind you of how the body is 'one piece' as Dan John would say. Even though my injury is in my back, my pain feels like it is coming from my leg. I cannot even pretend that my unhealthy back only affects the back. No, it also affects those other body parts connected to it.

This is what Paul is speaking to the Corinthians about. When we have sin in our lives, it spreads and manifests in all of our life. There is no such thing as "compartmentalized" sin. A spiritual injury in one area very often affects other areas as well. It is a good reminder that the spiritual body is one piece... and we must strive to live righteously in all ways, not just some.

Update: The pain was bad enough that I broke down and went to see a doctor, just to make sure that I didn't herniate or burst a disk or anything like that. The good news is that I didn't. The bad news, of course, is that it is a very severe pull with significant inflammation and I'm off the weights for at least two weeks.

(Sigh.)

Anyway... thanks for the prayers everyone!

Built Upon Struggle FlaIronMind's Avatar
    FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Keeping you in my prayers brother. Hope you are getting some rest and feeling better.

Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by FlaIronMind View Post
    Keeping you in my prayers brother. Hope you are getting some rest and feeling better.
    ^^ THIS . . . I seem to be following FIM this am

I have had two bouts with back pain. One was by far the worst pain that I have ever experienced and is the only reason that I've seen the inside of an ambulance! Doc told me it was a sprain. I reinjured it 18 months later, but it was only 60% or so as painful as the original episode. This is not an endorsement, but I started squats and deads shortly thereafter, and I've had no recurrences in 23 months.

John, I don't know if you would agree with this or not, but J Vernon McGee said that leaven always referred to sin in the bible. And like yeast which can continue to grow (I think that's right), sin in our lives can continue to grow if left unchecked.
    Pull-Up PR: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177233951

baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Awww man, sorry to hear about the injury.

You'll be back sooner than you think!!
    Where the mind goes the body follows.

IG @imbakes
    MFP bakerjb19

Built Upon Struggle FlaIronMind's Avatar
    FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Popping in again brother.

Prayers ongoing.

Smolovian apprentice mharrislove's Avatar
    mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by baker View Post
    Awww man, sorry to hear about the injury.

You'll be back sooner than you think!!
    ^^^This. Take care, man...hope to see you back at it soon.
    "First train the mind, then the body."

Made from all-natural products since 1968...no gear, no HRT, no prohormones.

pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Sorry to hear about the injury, brother. I will bring this into the throne room for you.

In Christ,
    Ray
    Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven... so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. Matt. 6: 1-4

Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    A part of me thinks that everyone should suffer from a back injury at some point. Now, don't get me wrong... I'm not saying this out of bitterness for my own injury. Rather, a back injury really does remind you of how the body is 'one piece' as Dan John would say.
    Interesting thought here. Folks who have never had a back problem simply don't realize how in an instant it can drop a strong man to his knees.

Hang in there. Give it time to heal. And don't overdo the ibuprofen like I did last summer... no good can come from that .