Page 36 of 43 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1277
    2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    It appears that the plan is working in here John. Most often, we are the last ones to see our own progress, and even then, tend to deny it. You are doing good work in here, both with the iron and the devotionals. They are much appreciated.
    David

Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by 2nd_chance View Post
    It appears that the plan is working in here John. Most often, we are the last ones to see our own progress, and even then, tend to deny it. You are doing good work in here, both with the iron and the devotionals. They are much appreciated.
    .... Now that was a humbling statement. But one I needed to hear.
    "The LORD is my Strength and my Song, and He has become my Salvation! This is my God, and I will praise Him, my Father's God and I will exalt Him!" - Exodus 15:2

My Dry Bones Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135650711

Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    So they came and said to him, “Teacher, we know that you are true and do not care about anyone’s opinion. For you are not swayed by appearances, but truly teach the way of God. Is it lawful to pay taxes to Caesar, or not? Should we pay them, or should we not?” But, knowing their hypocrisy, he said to them, “Why put me to the test? Bring me a denarius and let me look at it.” And they brought one. And he said to them, “Whose likeness and inscription is this?” They said to him, “Caesar’s.” Jesus said to them, “Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s.” And they marveled at him. (Mark 12:13-17 ESV)

Ah, what a joyous day [/sarcasm]. That’s right… for all the Americans at least, today is Tax Day. While many (most?) of us have already filed our taxes, it is still all over the media. So this naturally got me to thinking about the above passage.

Often, when we read Jesus’ words about rendering to Caesar, we read them as instructions. But I want to suggest to you that not only were they instructions, but also admonitions! You see, Jesus’ opponents were trying to trip him up by focusing on paying taxes to Rome. But Jesus’ response is two-fold: first he notes that you need to pay legal taxes; but far more importantly, he notes that you need to render to God! In the case of his opponents, they were concerned with not honoring Rome, when they should have been concerned instead with whether they themselves were honoring God! And while Tax Day may have inspired this passage, I think that it can easily apply to us in our fitness pursuits. We render to the gym those things necessary for success: time, planning, nutrition, etc. But we cannot focus on simply rendering to the Gym; our physical abilities are absolutely meaningless if we are not first, foremost, and constantly rendering unto God. We give time to the iron, do we give it to the Lord? We plan our training, do we study the Word? We ensure nutrition, but do we partake Spiritually? Render what is due.

While today was not perfect, I definitely feel like it was a solid ending to the week. Overall, I hit the numbers that I wanted to hit, I (re)established focus and a workable plan for next week, and I showed general improvement. Not bad.

April 13, 2012

Snatch
    Bar x5x2
    95x1
    105x1
    115x1
    125x1
    135x1x4
    I don’t have much to complain about for the Snatches today. My pull-under was actually fairly sharp on most of them, and the lighter weights were virtually effortless. It felt like I was catching the 135 a bit higher than I would have liked, but they were still the full Snatch rather than the power variant.

Clean & Jerk
    Bar x5 Sweeps+5 Turnovers
    135x1
    145x1
    155x1
    165x1
    175x1x2
    Cleans felt pretty sharp as well. Again, no real effort required before 165. I had the strength to do more at 175, but I could feel that my timing was slipping. Rather than pull an accidental Power Clean, I called it good with two singles at 175. Jerks all felt good. I would have preferred to hit three or four at the top weight, but quality beats quantity right?

I know it has been a bit since I posted any vids. Quite honestly, the time investment of uploading and editing the vids was just too much with everything else going on. That said, actually taking the recordings is pretty quick. So what I will probably start doing is recording some of my work through the week and they making a “Weekly Highlight Reel” that I will edit and post on the weekends.

Bench Press
    160x5
    185x5
    205x5
    225x3
    245x2
    255x1
    Again, I technically was not supposed to do the heavier work according to 531 PL, but the 205 was just too easy. I like this progression, though, and will probably adopt it as the general pattern for my 531 work.

Behind-Neck Snatch Grip Press
    100x5x3
    These went fine. I made the plan, but think I should maintain this weight for another week, just to reinforce strength and technique before increasing.

Squats-ATG (Paused)
    135x5x3
    I don’t know how usual this is, but I decided to add these in as Squat “technique work.” I kept the weight light and took a full pause in the hole. The plan was/is to do these focusing on really controlling the tension in my back – particularly in the hole. I know that part of my problem with Squats comes from me partially releasing tension in the hole. If I can master my tension, my Squats should really improve dramatically.

Like I said… I feel good about this as a closer to the week.
    "The LORD is my Strength and my Song, and He has become my Salvation! This is my God, and I will praise Him, my Father's God and I will exalt Him!" - Exodus 15:2

Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Swann74 View Post
    [So what I will probably start doing is recording some of my work through the week and they making a “Weekly Highlight Reel” that I will edit and post on the weekends.
    Sounds like a good idea. I always enjoy watching the vids.

I feel good about this as a closer to the week.
    Good to see! I always like adding that little caveat to my journal, too!

2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    .... Now that was a humbling statement. But one I needed to hear.
    When I first started lifting again in December 2008, I thought I was gonna be huge before long. Noobie growth was through the roof and then reality hit after about 9-10 months. It's not easy to see such little progress over time but eventually it comes, a little with this muscle, a little with that one. Be encouraged.
    David

punkybj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punkybj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punkybj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punkybj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punkybj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punkybj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punkybj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punkybj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punkybj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punkybj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) punkybj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Great work today Swann. Nice to see that you've got your focus on track for next week Keep on pushing and making progress.

Originally Posted by Bo_Flecks View Post
    Sounds like a good idea. I always enjoy watching the vids.
    Not to sound vain, but me too. It's good to see things that I'm doing that I'm not catching simply by "feel." And I know that they actually make my otherwise boring journal a bit more interesting.

Good to see! I always like adding that little caveat to my journal, too!
    It felt good to be able to say it this week, that is for sure!

When I first started lifting again in December 2008, I thought I was gonna be huge before long. Noobie growth was through the roof and then reality hit after about 9-10 months. It's not easy to see such little progress over time but eventually it comes, a little with this muscle, a little with that one. Be encouraged.
    Encouraged I am. Thank you brother.

Originally Posted by punkybj View Post
    Great work today Swann. Nice to see that you've got your focus on track for next week Keep on pushing and making progress.
    Things just really seemed to click in Ye Olde Garage today. Like I said, it wasn't perfect, but I really locking in on some things both physically and mentally. Felt good.

Built Upon Struggle FlaIronMind's Avatar
    FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    QFT x 2. Absolutely spot-on, as usual.

Good work in here lately brother, very well done. Glad to see you bringing some of teh squatz back into the mix as well, but, you know I'm partial.

Have a blessed weekend my brother.

rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    [b]Squats-ATG (Paused)
    135x5x3
    I don’t know how usual this is, but I decided to add these in as Squat “technique work.” I kept the weight light and took a full pause in the hole. The plan was/is to do these focusing on really controlling the tension in my back – particularly in the hole. I know that part of my problem with Squats comes from me partially releasing tension in the hole. If I can master my tension, my Squats should really improve dramatically.

Like I said… I feel good about this as a closer to the week.
    I think it is not uncommon at all. Not saying yousee everybody doing it, but I have seen it done on several occasions. I've seen folks holda a several second pause on them also.
    "Some people are like Slinkies. They're not really good for anything but they sure bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

My Training Journal - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=145043261

rendylee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rendylee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rendylee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rendylee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rendylee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rendylee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rendylee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rendylee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rendylee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rendylee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rendylee is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Great journal
    I would never say this is easy, but it is doable and within your capabilities!! - Nutritional Coach - CocoonFitness

Trust the process L. - Arch Angel 73

My Journal (Ren)

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142464091

Originally Posted by FlaIronMind View Post
    QFT x 2. Absolutely spot-on, as usual.

Good work in here lately brother, very well done. Glad to see you bringing some of teh squatz back into the mix as well, but, you know I'm partial.

Have a blessed weekend my brother.
    What? You like Squats?? I will admit it... I don't particularly like Squats. That said, if I want to be good at the other lifts that I do enjoy (OL), not to mention full-body strong, then I really need to do them. Of course, who knows... if I start getting good I might change my opinion of them.

May your weekend be richly blessed as well.

Originally Posted by rpaul11 View Post
    I think it is not uncommon at all. Not saying yousee everybody doing it, but I have seen it done on several occasions. I've seen folks holda a several second pause on them also.
    Good deal. The light weights were actually very, very revealing. Since I don't technically need to maintain much tension at all to carry the 135, it became a question of active focus. And that sort of focus will benefit me with the heavy weights coming up. I actually am glad that I decided to start doing these.

Originally Posted by rendylee View Post
    Great journal
    Well thank you very much! Welcome aboard!

So Jacob said to his household and to all who were with him, “Put away the foreign gods that are among you and purify yourselves and change your garments. Then let us arise and go up to Bethel, so that I may make there an altar to the God who answers me in the day of my distress and has been with me wherever I have gone.” (Genesis 35:2-3 ESV)

The story of Jacob has a similar effect to the story of Peter. Many of us find Peter the disciple we can most relate to, because the Gospels are so candid about his human flaws. The story of Jacob has the same sort of effect… Genesis shows us very clearly his many indiscretions. Yet despite those indiscretions and flaws, God watched over him to fulfill His divine promises of grace. For much of his life, Jacob missed most of what God was showing him; however, towards the end of his life something changed. After struggling with God, Jacob – now known as Israel – was called back to Bethel, where his life’s journey had begun, in order to build an altar. The altar is to the God “who answers.” Interestingly, this isn’t a verb, describing something God does. Actually, it is a participle describing who God is! God’s very character, His very nature, is to be one who answers His people when they call out to Him. There is great reassurance in that. So often, we think God isn’t answering us… the reality is that He is always answering, but we are not always seeing the answer. Like Jacob, many of us don’t get it until the later stages of life. So while this passage is reassuring and inspiring, it is also challenging. Do we recognize God’s nature? Do we look for God’s answers?

Today was not my finest hour. My timing was off on the Olympic Lifts, and I seemed to fatigue earlier than I would have liked. That said, I can say with some confidence that I at least worked hard!

April 16, 2012

Snatch
    Bar x5x2
    95x1
    105x1
    115x1
    125x1
    135xPS
    Ugh. These felt “off” from the very beginning. My timing was junk on these, and I couldn’t adjust my mindset to these. I felt somewhat methodical, but not at all explosive. Strength was ok, at least. I pulled a Power Snatch at 135 so we called it for the day.

Clean & Jerk
    135x1
    145x1
    155x1
    165xPC
    The “off” feelings of poor timing and lack of explosiveness that I had with the Snatches carried right over into these. I pulled the 165 for a Power Clean rather than a Clean, so that ended these for the day. I didn’t bother to Jerk that one. The other Jerks all went well. Just like with Snatches, strength wasn’t really the problem. Just bad technique and worse timing.

I took a couple of vids. Not really fit for a “highlight” reel, but at least – as a friend pointed out – suitable for a blooper reel.

Deadlift
    205x5 (PAW: 200x5)
    235x5
    265x5
    285x3
    305x2
    315x1
    I followed the same progression scheme on these as Friday’s Bench Press work, and feel that it was some good success. I did horrible on the OLs, so I figured I could at least pull hard. And while my 305 was only a double, it is still the first time that I’ve pulled over 300 for reps so I can’t complain too much on that!

I was supposed to do some heavy Front Squats, but I just didn’t have it in me after the Deadlifts. I either need to pull back the weights on the Front Squats and build them back up from a much lighter base, or switch Front Squats to another day.

Squats-ATG (Paused)
    135x5x3
    I didn’t have the stamina to hit the heavy Front Squats, but I had enough in me to make sure I did my paused in the hole Squat technique work. Not much to say on these… just reinforcing good technique and practicing tension control.

I had to get going pretty quickly after my training (congregant in the hospital), hence the late post. Hope everyone had a good day!

So Jacob said to his household and to all who were with him, “Put away the foreign gods that are among you and purify yourselves and change your garments. Then let us arise and go up to Bethel, so that I may make there an altar to the God who answers me in the day of my distress and has been with me wherever I have gone.” (Genesis 35:2-3 ESV)

The story of Jacob has a similar effect to the story of Peter. Many of us find Peter the disciple we can most relate to, because the Gospels are so candid about his human flaws. The story of Jacob has the same sort of effect… Genesis shows us very clearly his many indiscretions. Yet despite those indiscretions and flaws, God watched over him to fulfill His divine promises of grace. For much of his life, Jacob missed most of what God was showing him; however, towards the end of his life something changed. After struggling with God, Jacob – now known as Israel – was called back to Bethel, where his life’s journey had begun, in order to build an altar. The altar is to the God “who answers.” Interestingly, this isn’t a verb, describing something God does. Actually, it is a participle describing who God is! God’s very character, His very nature, is to be one who answers His people when they call out to Him. There is great reassurance in that. So often, we think God isn’t answering us… the reality is that He is always answering, but we are not always seeing the answer. Like Jacob, many of us don’t get it until the later stages of life. So while this passage is reassuring and inspiring, it is also challenging. Do we recognize God’s nature? Do we look for God’s answers?
    The God Who answers. That's an awesome revelation John. If you don't mind, I'm gonna post it on my blog.
    David

The God Who answers. That's an awesome revelation John. If you don't mind, I'm gonna post it on my blog.
    I would be honored!

rendylee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rendylee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rendylee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rendylee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rendylee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rendylee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rendylee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rendylee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rendylee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rendylee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rendylee is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    [b][i]So Jacob said to his household and to all who were with him, “Put away the foreign gods that are among you and purify yourselves and change your garments.
    Very relevant for my life at the moment...when God tells you the time is now...you do it while God's blessing is with you!
    I would never say this is easy, but it is doable and within your capabilities!! - Nutritional Coach - CocoonFitness

Trust the process L. - Arch Angel 73

My Journal (Ren)

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142464091

rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    nice job on the pulls John. Do you think you need to drop weight again on the OL and do some more technique work? Even the best hitters in baseball pull out the tee and smack some balls now and then
    "Some people are like Slinkies. They're not really good for anything but they sure bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I thought the workout looked really good, John. Especially those ATG paused squats... shows you're thinking.

Now... where is that blooper reel???

bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Today was not my finest hour. My timing was off on the Olympic Lifts, and I seemed to fatigue earlier than I would have liked. That said, I can say with some confidence that I at least worked hard!

April 16, 2012

Snatch
    Bar x5x2
    95x1
    105x1
    115x1
    125x1
    135xPS
    Ugh. These felt “off” from the very beginning. My timing was junk on these, and I couldn’t adjust my mindset to these. I felt somewhat methodical, but not at all explosive. Strength was ok, at least. I pulled a Power Snatch at 135 so we called it for the day.

Clean & Jerk
    135x1
    145x1
    155x1
    165xPC
    The “off” feelings of poor timing and lack of explosiveness that I had with the Snatches carried right over into these. I pulled the 165 for a Power Clean rather than a Clean, so that ended these for the day. I didn’t bother to Jerk that one. The other Jerks all went well. Just like with Snatches, strength wasn’t really the problem. Just bad technique and worse timing.

I took a couple of vids. Not really fit for a “highlight” reel, but at least – as a friend pointed out – suitable for a blooper reel.

Deadlift
    205x5 (PAW: 200x5)
    235x5
    265x5
    285x3
    305x2
    315x1
    I followed the same progression scheme on these as Friday’s Bench Press work, and feel that it was some good success. I did horrible on the OLs, so I figured I could at least pull hard. And while my 305 was only a double, it is still the first time that I’ve pulled over 300 for reps so I can’t complain too much on that!

I was supposed to do some heavy Front Squats, but I just didn’t have it in me after the Deadlifts. I either need to pull back the weights on the Front Squats and build them back up from a much lighter base, or switch Front Squats to another day.

Squats-ATG (Paused)
    135x5x3
    I didn’t have the stamina to hit the heavy Front Squats, but I had enough in me to make sure I did my paused in the hole Squat technique work. Not much to say on these… just reinforcing good technique and practicing tension control.

I had to get going pretty quickly after my training (congregant in the hospital), hence the late post. Hope everyone had a good day!
    Great devotion John, thanks!

As to the sub par feeling, how is the sleep and eating coming? The addition of a little one to the household can throw all of that off, not to mention the regular stresses of the ministry.
    David, a 56 year old pastor, husband and father.

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified

Best Lifts - Squat 375lbs Bench 205 lbs Deadlift 470lbs. Goals in next year? Be the best Me I can be.

Originally Posted by rendylee View Post
    Very relevant for my life at the moment...when God tells you the time is now...you do it while God's blessing is with you!
    Thanks so much. I'm glad that people are finding it profitable!

Originally Posted by rpaul11 View Post
    nice job on the pulls John. Do you think you need to drop weight again on the OL and do some more technique work? Even the best hitters in baseball pull out the tee and smack some balls now and then
    The pulls are starting to come along; I have to admit I was pleased with them. As for the OL... yes, I had considered that. Right now, I'll probably give it another day like this, and if my timing remains an issue, then I'll back off for some lightweight, high volume technique work.

I thought the workout looked really good, John. Especially those ATG paused squats... shows you're thinking.

Now... where is that blooper reel???
    My problem is that for most of my "iron career" I didn't think, so I need to start doing so now! As for the bloopers, you have to wait til Saturday. That's the carrot to get people to keep coming back through the week.

Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
    Great devotion John, thanks!

As to the sub par feeling, how is the sleep and eating coming? The addition of a little one to the household can throw all of that off, not to mention the regular stresses of the ministry.
    Thanks David, very much! You probably summed up nicely the majority of my problem. I'm getting some sleep, but not as much as I'd like. Additionally, I haven't stressed too much about getting up to an alarm and have simply reworked my schedule as much as possible so that when I get up isn't an issue. Of course, that also means that my training times are inconsistent, which I know can be an issue.

The eating is also a factor. I'm not "cutting" per se, but I am trying to be much more cognizant of my portion size and snacking and have restricted my diet a bit. I'm sure that's part of the paradigm.

Hmmmmm.... so basically, I've just admitted that I know what the primary problems are. The thing to do now, I suppose, is act on my knowledge and fix it!

For to the one who pleases him God has given wisdom and knowledge and joy, but to the sinner he has given the business of gathering and collecting, only to give to one who pleases God. This also is vanity and a striving after wind. (Ecclesiastes 2:26 ESV)

Ecclesiastes is an interesting book. It is one of the most difficult and disputed books in the Old Testament. That said, for the one who takes the time to plumb its depths, Ecclesiastes offers a wealth of knowledge. Most who study Ecclesiastes rightly think of it as a book of wisdom; however, that’s not going far enough. As the writer notes above, with wisdom and knowledge comes joy. Not happiness, which is fickle and hinges on emotion and circumstance, but joy, which is based on the assurance of God’s divine providence to work all things for good. Having the right knowledge leads to the right perspective, and that is something worth striving after!

So, today was… well, it was a day. Nothing dramatic to report. Some frustrating things happened, but nothing surprising. Let’s just get to it, shall we?

April 18, 2012

Snatch
    Bar x5
    95x1x2
    105x1x2
    115x1
    125x1
    135xPS
    Well, the trend continues. Timing stunk on all of these except for the one rep at 115, which was absolutely beautiful. The rest… well, definitely not beautiful!

Cleans
    Bar x5
    135x1x2
    145x1x2
    155x1
    165x1
    175x1
    The Cleans actually felt pretty good, which is particularly strange considering how bad my Snatches were off.

Ok, it is time to be realistic. My timing is off. My sleep pattern is off. My nutrition is at a deficit. I think it’s time to step back from this progression and just do some lightweight technique work. I am debating whether I am going to skip the O-lifts completely on Friday or if I am going to work them but at the technique weights. If I skip them I will start technique weights on Monday for a week or so.

Military Press
    Bar x5
    95x5
    110x5
    125x5
    135x3
    145x1
    150xF
    I was feeling decent about these. Then I only got one rather than two on my set at 145 and really hit the wall at 150 where the bar didn’t even budge.

One-Arm Press
    50x10
    50x12
    Well… these went much better than I had anticipated. I’ll be upping the weight next week!

Squats-ATG (Paused)
    135x5x3

Pull-ups
    BWx8
    BWx5

So there it is. I need to “re-charge” on my Olympic Lifts, but otherwise things seem to be going well.

Hmmmmm.... so basically, I've just admitted that I know what the primary problems are. The thing to do now, I suppose, is act on my knowledge and fix it!
    Hate when that happens!

Great job on the cleans.
    David

Hate when that happens!
    You and me both brother!

Great job on the cleans.
    Much obliged!

bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Read your devotion and workout first thing today. What a way to start the day. The passage was a splash of cold water. Thanks.

You sound tired my friend. You are wise to step back. Question, you doing the military standing? Either way, they are looking good.
    David, a 56 year old pastor, husband and father.

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified

Best Lifts - Squat 375lbs Bench 205 lbs Deadlift 470lbs. Goals in next year? Be the best Me I can be.

Ok, it is time to be realistic. My timing is off. My sleep pattern is off. My nutrition is at a deficit. I think it’s time to step back from this progression and just do some lightweight technique work. I am debating whether I am going to skip the O-lifts completely on Friday or if I am going to work them but at the technique weights. If I skip them I will start technique weights on Monday for a week or so.
    Sounds like a good plan.

IronWill recently backed down on some of his compound work because it had stalled. If I remember correctly, he decided to back it down by 10% and work back through the reps to break through the plateau.

Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
    Read your devotion and workout first thing today. What a way to start the day. The passage was a splash of cold water. Thanks.

You sound tired my friend. You are wise to step back. Question, you doing the military standing? Either way, they are looking good.
    Thanks David. Surprisingly, while I am a bit sluggish, I don't feel as full-blown tired as you might think. It feels more like a mental (nervous system?) disconnect than a physical (muscular) issue. I don't know... Either way the tech work should help.

I do my Military Pressing standing. Actually, except for the Bench Press and Pull-ups (both for obvious reasons) all of my work is done from my feet.

Sounds like a good plan.

IronWill recently backed down on some of his compound work because it had stalled. If I remember correctly, he decided to back it down by 10% and work back through the reps to break through the plateau.
    I think it will be worthwhile to do. I know that for Snatches, part of the reason I am catching them high is because (paradoxically enough) the pull on 135 feels heavier than it should. So what I also may do is replace the RDL on Squat day with Snatch-Grip Deadlifts to help my mind get used to picking up the heavier weights with the far-from-natural Snatch Grip. It should translate to the first pull on the Snatches, or at least I think it might.

FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Great work of late my brother, as always. And, also as usual, excellent devotionals. This forum is a better place because of them.

Good job paying attention re the necessary shift in your training. It happens. What results thereafter is a direct correlation to how you, as you well know, improvise, adapt and overcome. Somehow that phrase rings a bell, don't it?

Strong work brother. Well done.

Originally Posted by FlaIronMind View Post
    Great work of late my brother, as always. And, also as usual, excellent devotionals. This forum is a better place because of them.
    This really means a lot. Truly.

Good job paying attention re the necessary shift in your training. It happens. What results thereafter is a direct correlation to how you, as you well know, improvise, adapt and overcome. Somehow that phrase rings a bell, don't it?

Strong work brother. Well done.
    Ooh-Rah!

For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places! (Ephesians 6:12 ESV)

On another board, one of the posters was noticing that most of his friends were either former military, pastors or potential pastors, or athletes. And he randomly wondered if there were a common thread between these groups. I suggested to him that the connection was “conquest.” Think about it. For the military, it should be obvious. So let’s look at the athlete. Each of us approaches our training with the desire to conquer the iron. We defeat out weaknesses. We master our bodies and the field of combat is the gym.

That said it should be obvious that the Christian lifestyle is a lifestyle of combat. Not with flesh and blood but against spiritual evil. The problem that we have is when we forget that we are called to war. If we forget “iron warfare” in the gym, we may or may not show up. We may or may not be intense. We may or may not have a plan. And we most likely will not make any effective progress. Spiritually it is the same way. If we don’t show up, live authentically, prepare ourselves with the right plan and the right spiritual equipment, then we won’t make progress. We won’t achieve victory.

Today was not a bad day at all. This week hasn’t been the best training week ever, but this was a decent way to close it out. Got some good technique work in on the O-lifts and hit the strength training hard. I’m feeling pretty good about things.

April 20, 2012

Snatch
    Bar x5
    95x1x8
    So stepping back and focusing on technique worked well for me today. Hit these smoothly and held sharp form throughout.

Clean and Jerk
    Bar x5
    135x1x8
    As with the Snatches, this was a good decision. My pull-under really felt particularly quick today. My Jerks were a bit chaotic and needed to be more precise, but still, I’m satisfied.

Squats-ATG
    185x3 (Warm-up Set)
    205x5 [PAW: 200x5]
    225x3
    255x1
    265x1
    275x1
    285x1
    I feel pretty good about these. The weight was decent, but more importantly, I did much better in holding tension in my back. Progress FTW.

Snatch-Grip Deadlift
    185x3x5
    First time doing these with the Snatch Grip, so I kept the weight relatively low. I was expecting these to feel far more awkward than they did. As it is, I feel confident in moving up the weight on these.

Squats-ATG (Paused)
    140x5x4
    I increased the weight for this technique work by five pounds, and since it was Squat day, I added a set. That way I could superset these between sets of SGDL. After doing the 285, the 140 was completely inconsequential.

So, not a bad day. I’m not feeling sore at all, which is surprising. Of course, we’ll see what tomorrow holds for me! Either way, I’m feeling pretty good.

285 is a good squat.

Good that the snatches and cleans were cleaner

Good work today brother and great devotional. One of the scriptures I've committed to memory in fact, and also that which follow - that portion quoted...armour, breastplate, shield, etc. Great stuff here, as always bro.

Have a wonderful weekend.