Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    So tonight as I was reviewing my workout plans for the week I spent some time deciding how to address my power snatch problem. I think I have a solution.

I'm thinking that instead of the power snatch, I can use the barbell pullover. This will address most of the upper body, including both the chest (which works since this is done on my bench press day) and the back (which I want to continue to strengthen from its lag). I can still superset the pullover with overhead squats, and between the two hit all of the same muscles the power snatch hits.

I was initially worried about having only one explosive exercise (power cleans), but since my cardio is HIIT and consists of sprints, jumps, and boxing/striking I don't think my explosiveness will suffer.

If this works then I may have found a perfect balance for myself and my goals. We'll see come Friday. Tomorrow, however, is squat day!

gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Hi Swann doing your power snatches the day after deads is good, try your cleans and front squats the day after squats instead of the same day. Looking good in here, you have a solid program. Keep up the good work.

When learning the power snatch and clean keep it light and focus on technique, as well as keeping the reps short. SS the power snatch and overhead squat is great, but you might want go separate while you're still learning the technique.
    Last edited by gbg; 06-27-2011 at 04:59 AM.
    Being a real lifter is not about a number, or a medal, or somebody else telling you that you are a real lifter. It is about commitment to the iron and strength of purpose.

Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Swann74 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I lifted my eyes to heaven, and my reason returned to me, and I blessed the Most High and praised and honored Him who lives forever, for His dominion is an everlasting dominion, and His kingdom endures from generation to generation! (Daniel 4:34)

Reading the prophets this morning, I was thinking upon this verse describing Nebuchadnezzar's restoration. Pointedly, his reason was only restored when he looked towards heaven. As I seek to restore my strength and fitness, the source needs to be the same. Words by which to live.

My back was tight all weekend (I really need a new mattress!), so I was nervous about the squats this morning. I went ahead and slept on the floor last night and took some Bayer Back & Body when I got up, and my back felt ok starting the workout and quickly loosened up through the course of it.

Day 4, 6/27/2011

Warm-up (Recumbent Bike, 10-Count Burpees)

531 Squats
    45x10 (Stretching set to loosen up the knees and lower back)
    135x3 (Warm-up set)
    180x3
    205x3
    230x9

Considering my back was still loosening up at this point, I think these went pretty well. I do think I could have pushed out ten reps on the 230, but didn't want to risk any back spasm (even though those are quite rare for me).

Power Clean and Press, supersets with Front Squats (Clean Grip)
    2x115x4 / 7
    135x3
    155x3
    165x2

I read G's message before I worked out, but not early enough to really consider how to rework my routine. So I kept this the same for today except I only did two sets of Front Squats as a flexibility and balance exercise more than anything else. Plus the Front Squats, even at lighter weights, really hurt my wrists in the clean grip. I don't think I'm pushing my elbows forward enough so that my arms are carrying too much of the weight. I'll continue to re-evaluate, especially since G's suggestion is intriguing me. It would basically give me 3 "powerlifting" days and 2 "Olympic" days. That might not be too bad, and would take some of my self-imposed pressure off of me.

One-Armed T-Bar Row, supersets with Bench Dips
    3x70x7 (Each Arm)/ 3x(BW+15)x10 Dips

These went well all around. I'll try increasing the weight on the rows on Friday, and will maintain the dips at +15 for one more session before increasing them.

Pull-Up Complex
    4 Assisted, 2 Australian, 5 Assisted, 3 Australian, 1 Maximum Hang

These continue to go well, other than the slight awkwardness of the Australian pull-ups, which I have never tried before.

Wrap-up
    (Turkish Get-Ups 1x35x3 (Each Arm) [I went ahead and did these with 35 instead of 30, since having only one weight to manage - even a heavier weight - was easier than two weights bouncing around.]; HIIT Training Phase 1 [Not much to say on this. My timer was messing up, so some of my sprints were longer and some shorter, but I think the variability will be fine considering the nature of HIIT training anyway. Oh yeah, sprints after squats really stink!])

I do the Turkish Get-ups with a "homemade kettlebell." Basically, I look a heavy leather belt through Olympic plates. That's why 35 was one plate and 30 would have been two.

Overall today was a successful day. I'm going to look at G's suggestions and try to figure out how I want to proceed. My initial thought is to replace the PC&P/FS combo with some Close-Grip Bench Press (probably 3x7) and Squats (3x10). If I move the cleans to Tuesday, then I'll have to just do Power Cleans without the Press, since I'll be doing my Wendler sets on the Military Press on Wednesday. I would be ok with that. We'll have to see.
    "The LORD is my Strength and my Song, and He has become my Salvation! This is my God, and I will praise Him, my Father's God and I will exalt Him!" - Exodus 15:2

My Dry Bones Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135650711

Originally Posted by gbg View Post
    Hi Swann doing your power snatches the day after deads is good, try your cleans and front squats the day after squats instead of the same day. Looking good in here, you have a solid program. Keep up the good work.

When learning the power snatch and clean keep it light and focus on technique, as well as keeping the reps short. SS the power snatch and overhead squat is great, but you might want go separate while you're still learning the technique.
    Hi! Welcome to my meager journal. :-) I like your suggestions. I read your message before I worked out, but not early enough to re-figure anything for today. I have already given some thought to it, though. I mentioned a few of my initial thoughts in my daily update; let me know what you think?
    "The LORD is my Strength and my Song, and He has become my Salvation! This is my God, and I will praise Him, my Father's God and I will exalt Him!" - Exodus 15:2

gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Looks good. With the rack on the clean think of your hands as placeholders for the bar, your shoulders carry the brunt of the weight. Even on the catch: 1st pull is slow, second pull is where all the speed comes in and then QUICK elbow whip..get under the bar and guide the bar to your shoulders.
    Being a real lifter is not about a number, or a medal, or somebody else telling you that you are a real lifter. It is about commitment to the iron and strength of purpose.

Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thumbs up

Hey man, workouts are looking good! Those cleans and presses should get the heart pumping!

Enjoy your day man!
    Eat, Sleep, Lift...Repeat!

OV35 Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=388841&page=90

xccellence.com, theironden.com

Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Swann74 View Post
    Considering my back was still loosening up at this point, I think these went pretty well. I do think I could have pushed out ten reps on the 230, but didn't want to risk any back spasm (even though those are quite rare for me).
    Did you happen to click on that link I posted on my journal on Dorian Yates Blood & Guts Trainer? The first part of the leg day video is all about warming up and stretching to prepare for the leg work. I gave it a shot yesterday, and it seemed to do a really good job of loosening things up.

Originally Posted by Getsum View Post
    Hey man, workouts are looking good! Those cleans and presses should get the heart pumping!

Enjoy your day man!
    It was a busy day, so I'm just getting back to reply! The Clean & Press is definitely a workout in and of itself. The best part is that not only is it a good workout, I actually enjoy that particular lift immensely. That's a win-win!

Originally Posted by Bo_Flecks View Post
    Did you happen to click on that link I posted on my journal on Dorian Yates Blood & Guts Trainer? The first part of the leg day video is all about warming up and stretching to prepare for the leg work. I gave it a shot yesterday, and it seemed to do a really good job of loosening things up.
    I have to admit: I started watching it, then got distracted by thinking "just how big was that dude?!?" And off I went a'wandering on google and wikipedia to find out. I suppose I need to stay focused and go back and watch it again. I definitely wouldn't mind seeing how he loosens up.

bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Interesting warm up routine. I will have to give some of that a try.
    David, a 56 year old pastor, husband and father.

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified

Best Lifts - Squat 375lbs Bench 205 lbs Deadlift 470lbs. Goals in next year? Be the best Me I can be.

I have to admit: I started watching it, then got distracted by thinking "just how big was that dude?!?" And off I went a'wandering on google and wikipedia to find out. I suppose I need to stay focused and go back and watch it again. I definitely wouldn't mind seeing how he loosens up.
    I went back and looked this over; good stuff. Ironically enough, I have been doing the Torso Twists that he does in his warm-up but I have been doing them at the end of the workout as a cool-down stretch. Looks like one of the best things I could do is double it up for the beginning and the end.

Thanks for reminding/redirecting me to this again!

And in that day I will answer, declares the LORD, I will answer the heavens and they shall answer the earth; and the earth shall answer the grain, the wine, and the oil, and they shall answer Jezreel.
    And I will sow her for myself in the land, and I will have Mercy on No Mercy, and I will say to Not My People, 'You are My People;' and he shall say, 'You are my God!' (Hosea 2:21-23 ESV)

It's good to serve a gracious God. This passage from Hosea is a passage of restoration, and it is heartening to know that just as God restored His people despite their sins, I can hope for His restoration in my life, despite my own sins - including sins against my body (gluttony, sloth, et al.). Isn't that what this whole fitness quest is about? Restoring what has been lost and properly stewarding the blessings of health that God gives?

I kept today mostly the same as last Wednesday, incorporating the ideas that we bounced around regarding sets/reps for the accessory lifts.

Day 5, 6/29/2011

Warm-up (Recumbent Bike, Torso Twists, 10-Count Burpees)

I incorporated Yates' Torso Twists into my warm-up after the bike, and it had my back feeling nice and loose prior to my Deadlifts. Thanks for the referral Steve!

531 Deadlift
    2x135x3 (Warm-up sets)
    185x3
    210x3
    235x9

My bugbear with the Deadlifts continues to be my grip, but I feel like I was holding stronger this time than last time, so that's good at least. In one sense I guess it's a positive thing: a natural safety valve; if I can't hold it, I probably shouldn't lift it.

531 Military Press
    45x10 (Stretching/Warm-up set)
    65x3 (Warm-up set)
    95x3
    105x3
    120x8

I wanted ten of these for the final set, but form was getting shaky and I don't guess eight is completely terrible.

Good Mornings
    3x95x10

Maintained these at 95 to make sure my form was staying tight. I caught myself slightly bending my legs a couple of time, so I guess it's good that I did! I think I'm going to go ahead and increase the weight slightly for next Wednesday - nothing extravagant, but up to 100.

One-Armed Overhead Press, supersets with Barbell Curls
    3x45x10 (each arm) / 2x80x7, 80x6*

The Overhead Press went fine. Using the barbell for this does, I feel, help work some of those small stabilizer muscles and improve my grip strength. I'm debating about leaving this at 3x45x10 for one more week, or going ahead and increasing the weight. I upped the weight on the Barbell Curls and dropped to seven reps per set. Missed the final rep on the final set, so I'll maintain this weight for next week.

Pull-Up Complex
    3 Assisted, 5 Australian, 3 Assisted, 4 Australian, 1 Maximum Hang

Following the program, and hoping this will work!

Wrap-up
    (Turkish Get-Ups 2x35x3 (Each Arm) [I again did these back-to-back: right side, immediately to left side, immediately to right side, etc.]; HIIT Training Phase 1 [Worked the bag for today's Cardio. It felt good; it has been some time since I really let loose on a striking exercise.])

Overall, I think today went fine. I missed personal goals, but made improvements across the board in either form or strength. And that is, after all, the goal.

Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I incorporated Yates' Torso Twists into my warm-up after the bike, and it had my back feeling nice and loose prior to my Deadlifts. Thanks for the referral Steve!
    I found it especially good for loosening up my lower back. There was quite a bit of cracking and popping going on, too.

My bugbear with the Deadlifts continues to be my grip, but I feel like I was holding stronger this time than last time, so that's good at least.
    Are you using an over/under grip for the deads, John?

In one sense I guess it's a positive thing: a natural safety valve; if I can't hold it, I probably shouldn't lift it.
    I guess this depends upon your goal. If your goal is to have a grip that will hold the weight for competition purposes, then yes. On the other hand, if you are doing a movement such a pull-ups, relying on your grip strength can really cheat your lats. I use my VersaGripps on pull-ups to totally take my grip out of the equation and put 100% focus on my lats.

Are you locking out your knees on GM's?

I found it especially good for loosening up my lower back. There was quite a bit of cracking and popping going on, too.

Are you using an over/under grip for the deads, John?
    Thankfully there was no cracking/popping today! And I'm ok if it stays that way, I really am.

I normally use an overhand grip with both hands rather than the over/under grip. When I tried out the over/under, it just didn't feel even or balanced for me. Do you think I should reconsider the over/under? Does it hold better for you?

I guess this depends upon your goal. If your goal is to have a grip that will hold the weight for competition purposes, then yes. On the other hand, if you are doing a movement such a pull-ups, relying on your grip strength can really cheat your lats. I use my VersaGripps on pull-ups to totally take my grip out of the equation and put 100% focus on my lats.
    You make a very good point. Maybe I should reconsider this issue. Perhaps use straps on the big set and do the lighter sets without them?

Are you locking out your knees on GM's?
    Generally speaking I try to, but I noticed that I wasn't holding them tight when I did my second set (the one where I did some leg bending). I believe I corrected it on my third set, but I definitely need to concentrate more on how tight I lock them out.

Thankfully there was no cracking/popping today! And I'm ok if it stays that way, I really am.

I normally use an overhand grip with both hands rather than the over/under grip. When I tried out the over/under, it just didn't feel even or balanced for me. Do you think I should reconsider the over/under? Does it hold better for you?

You make a very good point. Maybe I should reconsider this issue. Perhaps use straps on the big set and do the lighter sets without them?

Generally speaking I try to, but I noticed that I wasn't holding them tight when I did my second set (the one where I did some leg bending). I believe I corrected it on my third set, but I definitely need to concentrate more on how tight I lock them out.
    You're not supposed to lock out, keep a slight bend in your knees. GM's are different for everyone, depends why you're doing them.

Read this:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=116050271

Do you think I should reconsider the over/under? Does it hold better for you?
    Back when I was doing deads, the over/under grip definitely held better for me. It kept the bar from trying to roll out of my hands. With the opposing grip, the bar doesn't try to roll on you... it is just a matter of keeping your grip strength around the bar during the pull.

You make a very good point. Maybe I should reconsider this issue. Perhaps use straps on the big set and do the lighter sets without them?.
    There are several guys on here who have done that and really increased the amount of weight they could pull. One that specifically comes to mind is FLEX. He has a pretty big deadlift, and worked his back muscles and form with with some heavy weight using straps.

You're not supposed to lock out, keep a slight bend in your knees. GM's are different for everyone, depends why you're doing them.

Read this:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=116050271
    Good thread. Thanks for the redirect. I wuz confuzed in muh liftin.

Back when I was doing deads, the over/under grip definitely held better for me. It kept the bar from trying to roll out of my hands. With the opposing grip, the bar doesn't try to roll on you... it is just a matter of keeping your grip strength around the bar during the pull.

There are several guys on here who have done that and really increased the amount of weight they could pull. One that specifically comes to mind is FLEX. He has a pretty big deadlift, and worked his back muscles and form with with some heavy weight using straps.
    Next Deadlift day I'll try the opposing grip again and see how it feels. I can also look into getting some straps. If I'm doing it without straps for the lighter, smaller sets then I'll still be able to improve my grip; while using straps for my money set should lead to some good pull increases, I think.

Ok, so I was thinking about G's suggestion regarding the cleans and snatches. I might be ok lifting five days a week, but I'll admit to a bit of nervousness. 531 definitely expects adequate recovery in general, and I know that I specifically haven't lifted five days regularly in a loooooong time.

Also, if I did cleans on Tuesday in my current set-up, then I could do cleans but not clean and presses. And quite frankly, I really enjoy Clean and Presses. As I was thinking about all of this, I came up with some thoughts...

First, Wendler generally expects four lifting days a week, and one schema that he puts out there is as follows:
    M - Squats
    T - Military Press
    W - Off
    R - Deadlifts
    F - Bench Press

I was thinking that this might work fine. It would still allow me to do the PC&P the day after Squats, but wouldn't interfere with my 531 Military Press. Ditto with the Power Snatches on Friday. It might even help with my Military Press, since I wouldn't be testing it after Deadlifts like I am right now. The only thing that doesn't really fit is the Front Squats on Tuesday, since I worry that they might cut into my recovery a bit. Probably ditto with Overhead Squats on Friday. On the other hand, I could add in some other leg exercises on M/R and move my upper body work to T/F exclusively.

The Pull-Up program that I'm doing is set for 3 days a week, but I don't think doing it two days a week would hurt anything so long as I keep track of my correct day.

Any feedback on these thoughts from anyone?

Looks fine, why doesn't the front squats fit in on Tuesday? I do fronts after cleans all the time.
    Your body will will adjust, just remember keep the reps low on the cleans and snatches, increase sets if you want more volume.

Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

Thumbs up

Finally driving through.

Looks like some good work going on in here. Keep it up!

Blessings and Grace my friend.
    Was friends with Methuselah

Looks fine, why doesn't the front squats fit in on Tuesday? I do fronts after cleans all the time.
    Your body will will adjust, just remember keep the reps low on the cleans and snatches, increase sets if you want more volume.
    Fronts after Cleans wasn't my primary concern. My concern was Fronts the day after a heavy Leg day with Squats. It may be an unwarranted concern, since my weight for the Fronts will be significantly lower than my weight on Squats, but that is the source of my hesitancy.

Originally Posted by Old-Time-Lifter View Post
    Finally driving through.

Looks like some good work going on in here. Keep it up!

Blessings and Grace my friend.
    Much appreciated! Good to see you in these here parts.

Fronts after Cleans wasn't my primary concern. My concern was Fronts the day after a heavy Leg day with Squats. It may be an unwarranted concern, since my weight for the Fronts will be significantly lower than my weight on Squats, but that is the source of my hesitancy.
    Fronts after heavy squats shouldn't be an issue, just do what you can tolerate. My coach does them after ME squat days all the time for conditioning. These are your conditioning days you shouldn't be going heavy anyway.

Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good Morning man! The workouts are looking great!

Yeah, I try to keep my deadz, squats and leg presses at least two days apart...so I can understand what you're saying.

gbg knows her stuff!

First, Wendler generally expects four lifting days a week, and one schema that he puts out there is as follows:
    M - Squats
    T - Military Press
    W - Off
    R - Deadlifts
    F - Bench Press

Any feedback on these thoughts from anyone?
    Four days like that allows you to have plenty of rest before a specific muscle group has to work (as a primary or secondary) again. What I have found is that my muscles are ready to train more quickly than my connective tissue these days. 48 hours rest between making the connective tissue work again is a minimum for me these days.

Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble. (Matthew 6:34 ESV)

I quote a very pertinent verse for today's workout. I woke up today and felt pretty good. Back wasn't tight and I felt like I had good energy. As I progressed through the workout, though, I realized I was making a cardinal error: I was doing an awful lot of thinking about what adjustments I was going to be making to the workout schema next week (See Below). So... "COME ON SWANN!!! Get your head in the game!" After that, things were much better.

That said, despite my distraction at the front end of the workout, I did have a very clear goal for my Bench today. I am happy to report that the goal was achieved. I went in with the full intention of putting up ten on my closer set and I did indeed put up ten! Tov!

Day 6, 7/1/2011

Warm-up (Recumbent Bike, Torso Twists, 10-Count Burpees)

531 Bench Press
    115x3 (Warm-up set)
    135x3 (Warm-up set)
    155x3
    175x3
    200x10

Made my goal, I feel good. Smiles on this count!

Barbell Pullovers
    45x10
    65x10
    85x10

Been a long time since I did these, so these were for form and stretching as much as anything else. I didn't get to do the Power Snatches yesterday because of some last minute obligations at the community Senior Center, but that will change next week.

One-Armed T-Bar Row, supersets with Bench Dips
    3x72.75x7 (Each Arm)/ 3x(BW+15.5)x10 Dips

So earlier this week, I found on the cheap some weights, but they are KG weights rather than lbs. This actually worked out well, since I could use them for these exercises and make small (2.75 and 0.5, respectively) increases.

Time to eat some crow: yes, I want to do as much lifting as I can without straps to make sure my grip is adequately improving. That said, Steve made a good point about cheating my lats. As I was working the T-Bar today, the thing really felt slippery and was definitely taking away from my focus on my back. I finally busted out an improvised lifting strap for the third set and tore through the final seven with no problem. Straps FTW. So I think I'll try the mixed grip on the first two Deadlift sets without straps, which will work my grip; but use straps for the big Deadlift set and the T-Bar Rows. Hopefully this will really help bring my back where I want/need it.

Pull-Up Complex
    4 Assisted, 5 Australian, 6 Assisted, 5 Australian, 1 Maximum Hang

Still thinking about the lessons I had learned on the T-Bar rows, I didn't do these with straps, but I did focus more on the feel of pulling the bar towards me rather than pulling me up to the bar. The difference was amazing. I think these were my best pull-ups yet since my re-start, both in terms of form and in strength.

My rear delts felt a bit odd while doing the Australian pull-ups, but I don't think it's anything to worry about. I'll be mindful of it and see if it happens again.

Wrap-up
    (Turkish Get-Ups 3x35x3 (Each Arm) [Again, back-to-back to close out my workout]; HIIT Training Phase 1 [Worked the bag again. I was going to do sprints in addition, but was running short on time. I plan on doing some sprints either later tonight or tomorrow morning.])

Despite a shaky start, I'm ok with today's work. If I keep my focus up, I think I can definitely make some good progress in the coming months. Hopefully, next week will show not only improvement in my Wendler lifts, but also in my overall workout strategy.

Speaking of which...

The general consensus seems to be that the four-day is the way to go. Since I'll be doing some variation of squats throughout the week, I don't have to go crazy on Squat day with leg accessory lifts. So my thought is to move my back work to my Squat and Deadlift days. My only question on this would be if working my back on Monday with my Squats would impact the Power Cleans on Tuesday?

My current plan for next week (subject to change based on everyone's feedback), is as follows:
    Monday
    Squats-531
    Squats-Accessory, ATG
    One-Armed T-Bar Rows
    Pull-ups

Tuesday
    Military Press-531
    Power Clean & Press
    Front Squats
    Weighted Dips

Thursday
    Deadlift-531
    Good Mornings
    One-Armed T-Bar Rows
    Pull-ups

Friday
    Bench Press-531
    Power Snatch
    Overhead Squats
    Weighted Dips

I've also thought about adding one additional lift each day (five per day today). The lifts I'm considering are Barbell Curls (c'mon, I have to have some bicep work ), Close-Grip Bench Press, Barbell Pullovers, and Lunges. Thoughts/comments on any of the above?

Thumbs up

I've also thought about adding one additional lift each day (five per day today). The lifts I'm considering are Barbell Curls (c'mon, I have to have some bicep work ), Close-Grip Bench Press, Barbell Pullovers, and Lunges. Thoughts/comments on any of the above?
    Strong workout John!

I like every exercise you listed...just up to you if you can squeeze them in or not. I'm doing lunges atm but I'm thinking about adding them and some GM's back in soon.

Enjoy your Friday man!

Originally Posted by Getsum View Post
    Strong workout John!

I like every exercise you listed...just up to you if you can squeeze them in or not. I'm doing lunges atm but I'm thinking about adding them and some GM's back in soon.

Enjoy your Friday man!
    Thanks! I think I'm going to try to put them in and see how it goes. Friday is good so far; hope yours is equally good!

Pull-Up Complex
    4 Assisted, 5 Australian, 6 Assisted, 5 Australian, 1 Maximum Hang

Still thinking about the lessons I had learned on the T-Bar rows, I didn't do these with straps, but I did focus more on the feel of pulling the bar towards me rather than pulling me up to the bar.
    Really, I guess it has to do with the goal you have for the pull-ups. Give them a try next time with the straps and see what you think. The increased MMC you will have with your lats will be impressive if you think of your hands as hooks holding you to the bar, only.

As far as grip strength goes, I think you are doing plenty of other work with your grip to increase the amount of weight you can hold.

Just a side note on the pull-ups... I do all of my bodybuilding work with pull-ups using straps (VersaGripps) to maximize my MMC with my lats, but that didn't keep me from jumping up on a bar out at 6th grade camp without straps and knocking out 30 pull-ups to show off a little. My grip strength is okay .

Really, I guess it has to do with the goal you have for the pull-ups. Give them a try next time with the straps and see what you think. The increased MMC you will have with your lats will be impressive if you think of your hands as hooks holding you to the bar, only.
    Oh, don't take my lack of straps on the pull-ups wrong... you have made a convert out of me on using straps. I just didn't use them with the pull-ups for two reasons. First, I wasn't doing that many reps so I didn't think that I needed the straps to hold tight. Second, my current straps are home-made jobs made from old belts, so it's easier to only use them when necessary. Your previous points about the advantages of using straps on the heavy sets were well received.

As far as grip strength goes, I think you are doing plenty of other work with your grip to increase the amount of weight you can hold.
    And this is really all that matters. My grip is still being worked; I can be ok with using straps.

Just a side note on the pull-ups... I do all of my bodybuilding work with pull-ups using straps (VersaGripps) to maximize my MMC with my lats, but that didn't keep me from jumping up on a bar out at 6th grade camp without straps and knocking out 30 pull-ups to show off a little. My grip strength is okay .
    I can just imagine the kids' jaws hitting the ground when they saw that! After hearing your comments on VersaGripps both here and in your journal, I went to their website and checked them out. They definitely look good; nice addition to my birthday wish-list!